• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3 Update 3| Please be excited

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great idea. It will promote the Lumia as an Xbox phone and bring in the gamers.

MS will never do it, they aren't that smart. They dropped the ball with gamers a long time ago.

Hey, come on now and cut them some slack. They really tried with Xbox Live on WP that one time, back then in 2011!

Samus4145

Anyone know if there is any way to use beehive? Company got bought by Oracle, so no more Microsoft Exchange.

I'm told there is nothing official and to buy a new phone.

AT&T and Microsoft need to reintroduce the Lumia brand with the announcement of the rumored Lumia 1030. Without the old and tired Nokia branding the phone should sell like hotcakes right?

AT&T and Microsoft need to reintroduce the Lumia brand with the announcement of the rumored Lumia 1030. Without the old and tired Nokia branding the phone should sell like hotcakes right?

Yep, just like all those Surface tablets!

I expect the Lumia sales to crash and burn in Europe, once they lose the Nokia brand.

Bri

Fuck. Still haven't opened my Lumia 925. The lack of future support from developers (DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS!) is worrying me.
I read a few comments about WP strictly being a business phone, and I'm not business. At all.

I've never been so irresolute about a electronic device purchase in my entire life. Bleargh.

hadareud

The Translator
Fuck. Still haven't opened my Lumia 925. The lack of future support from developers (DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS!) is worrying me.
I read a few comments about WP strictly being a business phone, and I'm not business. At all.

I've never been so irresolute about a electronic purchase in my entire life. Bleargh.

What do you mean? What lacking future support?

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member

I've never been so irresolute about a electronic purchase in my entire life. Bleargh.

It is not strictly a business phone. What apps do you need?

If it makes you feel better, most businesses can't even use the thing until 8.1 anyways. It was made first and foremost with the consumer in mind with business stuff added in later.

But yeah, Developer support has only gone up in this past year. We dot have every official app, but we have a good portion of them and a bunch of unofficial ones. What apps do you need?

Yep, just like all those Surface tablets!

I expect the Lumia sales to crash and burn in Europe, once they lose the Nokia brand.
I can see Microsoft fighting tooth and nail to get the word out in Europe that the names have changed. On the Asha side I can see then putting the logo of Microsoft Oy and Nokia on it for a couple years, On the Lumia side I can see them getting permission from Nokia to run ads which mention that Nokia is Oy.

Klocker

anyone else having trouble reaching Wikipedia on 8.1, ie 11? even the dedicated app will not reach it.. this is with wifi only, over data works fine. I even tried desktop and mobile versions and it just stalls. All other sites are fine so far. I cleared ie history as well.

.... my tablet works fine over same wifi network

any ideas?

edit...seems I can get to "www.Wikipedia.org" but going to a language choice stalls

I've never been so irresolute about a electronic device purchase in my entire life. Bleargh.

you'll be fine, it's an awesome phone with tons of support with only a small handful of apps that are missing. the best games are still on iOS though.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.

Return it and get an iPhone or android phone. Real talk. Unless you have an iPad or android tablet, in which case, what are you worried about?

dLMN8R

Ok, I need a new Twitter app.

I've been happy with Rowi even though they ended development, but I just realized that for some reason it's just skipping a lot of tweets. Some retweets and even some direct tweets by people simply don't show up at all. I was confused when the People app showed a couple cool things that I otherwise missed in Rowi.

Mehdoh was a frequent suggestion, but it's pretty broken on 8.1. It always resumes to a black screen, and from there I need to back-out and reload the app which loses my place I was at in the stream.

What I'm mainly looking for out of a Twitter app:
1) Small text size so I can see a bunch at the same time
2) Easy to favorite tweets
3) Reliable to either suspend the app or even fully close it and then pick back up from where I left off later on

dLMN8R

The official Twitter app has extremely inefficient use of screen real estate. Fonts are too big, headers are too big. It also shows less in-line - no in-line images or anything. It is also unreliable at holding the same position in the stream when resuming the app and a bunch of new tweets show up.

The Flash

Banned
Anyway to change the volume without having to press the power button also do ear buds with controls on them work? Like when I press pause, it'll pause whatever I'm playing on the phone.

ElNino

Anyway to change the volume without having to press the power button also do ear buds with controls on them work? Like when I press pause, it'll pause whatever I'm playing on the phone.
You can control the volume with the screen off (using the volume rocker buttons).

Yes, headphones with a single control button should work but iPhone style 3-button headphones will not.

There are a ton of Gmail apps, but I'm hoping to find a quality one that supports Gmail's labels. I have a work account where I need to be able to easily label a lot of messages. Any suggestions?

Commodore

Ok, I need a new Twitter app.

I've been happy with Rowi even though they ended development, but I just realized that for some reason it's just skipping a lot of tweets. Some retweets and even some direct tweets by people simply don't show up at all. I was confused when the People app showed a couple cool things that I otherwise missed in Rowi.

Mehdoh was a frequent suggestion, but it's pretty broken on 8.1. It always resumes to a black screen, and from there I need to back-out and reload the app which loses my place I was at in the stream.

What I'm mainly looking for out of a Twitter app:
1) Small text size so I can see a bunch at the same time
2) Easy to favorite tweets
3) Reliable to either suspend the app or even fully close it and then pick back up from where I left off later on

I think the three best twitter apps in the marketplace are Twabbit, tweet it! and Mehdoh. All three devs are still very active in updating their respective apps with various features. Mehdoh has some great integration with other services like instagram. Solid design. I love the design of tweet it! But I use pocket extensively with twitter, and for some odd reason the dev decided to save the link to the tweet itself instead of the link contained within the tweet. Personally, I've stuck with Twabbit, because it has been very reliable in keeping my place and I like the total amount of tweets counting down as read them so I can see where I am. Decent design, simple but highly functional, you can change the font size and the look of the app quite a bit. Though after updating to 8.1, all three have been refreshing the feed automatically when I resume, making me loose my place constantly. I haven't found a twitter app right now that isn't doing that. Something quirky with 8.1 I guess.

I'd say give those three a shot see which one sticks.

NeOak

The official Twitter app has extremely inefficient use of screen real estate. Fonts are too big, headers are too big. It also shows less in-line - no in-line images or anything. It is also unreliable at holding the same position in the stream when resuming the app and a bunch of new tweets show up.
Ask lastflowers to hook you up with the private beta of Twitter for 8.1?

Special C

Is the Lumia Icon a significant upgrade over the 928? I've only had my 928 for a few months and I love it, but I dropped it and it's now broken. My options are to use my wife's upgrade to get another 928 for free, or to pay $150 and get the Icon. I hate to waste the upgrade just to get the same phone, but breaking mine has put me in this spot.

PG2G

Is the Lumia Icon a significant upgrade over the 928? I've only had my 928 for a few months and I love it, but I dropped it and it's now broken. My options are to use my wife's upgrade to get another 928 for free, or to pay $150 and get the Icon. I hate to waste the upgrade just to get the same phone, but breaking mine has put me in this spot.

It is significantly more powerful than the 928. The screen is larger and better, and the camera is better

PG2G

What features will they take away this time!?

Hopefully the black screen feature :p

I remember they posted what would be in this update, forget what there was though.

Edit: Just did the update, glad they pushed this out. Previously I would have to kill the app and retry just to get to the artist list sometimes. No issues so far

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Hopefully the black screen feature :p

I remember they posted what would be in this update, forget what there was though.

Edit: Just did the update, glad they pushed this out. Previously I would have to kill the app and retry just to get to the artist list sometimes. No issues so far

•Numerous stability fixes, including many of the reported black screens
•Cortana integration is complete and now supports playing playlists by name
•UI polish to improve animations and transitions between UI views
•Improved messaging for encountered errors, such as unplayable content in collections
•Background initial sync of local and cloud content

The Remote Desktop app is kind of bollocks. I know both my systems are on at home and set up correctly as I've used the app at home. But I now can't get connected at all. Errors every time.

Also, no Xbox Music update for me.

The Flash

Banned
José Mourinho;109510639 said:
The Remote Desktop app is kind of bollocks. I know both my systems are on at home and set up correctly as I've used the app at home. But I now can't get connected at all. Errors every time.

I can't get it to work at all.

cocknose? whose Corn Flakes did you piss in?

I can't get it to work at all.

cocknose? whose Corn Flakes did you piss in?
I've had it connect in my house just fine. This is the first I've tried it elsewhere and it won't work.

I got this wee number in a thread about insults or something and I said I enjoy referring to people as cocknose. And so I got it. I like it :lol

stktt

Banned
Xbox Music no longer literally takes a minute to load my music! Progress! Maybe they'll implement a live tile within the next month.

Just got the Xbox Music update. I long for the day that the Music app doesn't insist on fucking my meta data up. Soundtrack is listed as under S as Grandaddy and one of my albums is given a cover from Sabrina the Teenage Witch.

Kaworu

I'm freaking out because my old Samsung Omnia W touch screen stopped working some hours ago. Now it's kind of functional again but shows responsive issues so I'm trying to backup my whatsapp chat history. I used the option to send them to my mail but the Windows Mail message size restriction is just sending like 500 lines. Please tell me there is a way to overcome this shit.

The Flash

Banned
José Mourinho;109511443 said:
I've had it connect in my house just fine. This is the first I've tried it elsewhere and it won't work.

I got this wee number in a thread about insults or something and I said I enjoy referring to people as cocknose. And so I got it. I like it :lol

Lol, sounds like something Gavin Free would say.

Loving my new holster case. I feel like a cowboy reaching for his revolver when I get my phone out.

JaggedSac

Performance seems to be better for browsing my playlist songs and when browsing artists. Could be a placebo though. It definitely hasn't hung on my like it was doing constantly before.

NVM, updated. Let's see how it works now.
RANDOMIZER IS STILL SHIT! When I choose an specific song (i.e. It starts with the letter t), it just plays songs with the letter T!! Even if a re check the randomizer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom