• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3 Update 3| Please be excited

Status
Not open for further replies.

hadareud

The Translator
In release v2.5.2842 you will find:
◾Numerous stability fixes, including many of the reported black screens
◾Full Cortana integration including playing Playlists by name
◾UI Polish to improve animations and transitions between UI views
◾Improved messaging for encountered errors, such as unplayable content in collections

Some of what is targeted for the series of coming releases:

•Continued focus on Stability and Performance improvements
•Background initial sync of local and cloud content (Note: This had been targeted for the last store update, but we pushed it out one more release to do some additional testing)
•Fast Forward/Rewind by sliding progress bar in a song
•UX layouts on buttons and metadata in now playing to better utilize space and make for better interaction
•Support for large play queue(including playlist) greater than 100 songs
•Improved load times for long lists through better list virtualization
•Swipe Gesture to Advance on Now Playing
•Live Tile and Transparent Tile support
•Design & Layout improvements to get you to your content faster
•Kids Corner support
•UX improvements (Search result grouping, creating new Radio Stations, improved Network status messages, Blue UI language alignment, and more)

Good stuff. It's a lot faster now, that's for sure.

Still poo by any objective measure, but at least there's progress.

José Mourinho;109510639 said:
The Remote Desktop app is kind of bollocks. I know both my systems are on at home and set up correctly as I've used the app at home. But I now can't get connected at all. Errors every time.

Also, no Xbox Music update for me.
I could never get Remote Desktop to work. So I use TeamViewer.

PG2G

NVM, updated. Let's see how it works now.
RANDOMIZER IS STILL SHIT! When I choose an specific song (i.e. It starts with the letter t), it just plays songs with the letter T!! Even if a re check the randomizer.

If the party about upcoming changes is any indication, it can't handle lists longer than 100 songs right now. If you have over a hundred songs starting with t you'll probably only see those when you click random.

Good to see they are fixing support for longer lists though

KageMaru

You can control the volume with the screen off (using the volume rocker buttons).

Yes, headphones with a single control button should work but iPhone style 3-button headphones will not.

3 button headphones for pause, volume up, and volume down? That worked fine for me on my 928. My cat chewed those headphones up so I can't try it on 8.1.

Is the Lumia Icon a significant upgrade over the 928? I've only had my 928 for a few months and I love it, but I dropped it and it's now broken. My options are to use my wife's upgrade to get another 928 for free, or to pay $150 and get the Icon. I hate to waste the upgrade just to get the same phone, but breaking mine has put me in this spot.

I moved from the 928 to the Icon and think it's worth it. The chipset in the Icon is a lot more powerful, battery is comparable (if not slightly better), screen is MUCH better, camera is much better, design looks nicer IMO, and it's future proof unlike the 928. There are features in the 8.1/cyan update that will work on the Icon but not the 928 for example.

I think my apps only automatically update once a day, usually in the morning, but you can force it via the store "settings" section. Worked for me.

I thought app updates are pushed throughout the day. I know I've searched for updates more than once in a day and have received multiple notifications. I updated four apps earlier this morning for example, just checked again and now have two more updates.

If the party about upcoming changes is any indication, it can't handle lists longer than 100 songs right now. If you have over a hundred songs starting with t you'll probably only see those when you click random.

Good to see they are fixing support for longer lists though

Oh shit! That's why, then.. I have about 13GB of music in my phone right now.
I'm impatient :(, the only way to randomize my music properly is by hitting the random button (the one at teh beginning of the app). (And blackscreen is still a thing, I see)

ElNino

3 button headphones for pause, volume up, and volume down? That worked fine for me on my 928. My cat chewed those headphones up so I can't try it on 8.1.
Interesting, the ones I had lying around didn't work on my 900 or 1020 but the one buttons do (the included Nokia in-ears and my V-Moda headphones).

One button works fine for me for the most part; one press the answer/pause/play, two presses for skip forward and three presses for skip back. Volume control is the only thing I wish I had sometimes.

I thought app updates are pushed throughout the day. I know I've searched for updates more than once in a day and have received multiple notifications. I updated four apps earlier this morning for example, just checked again and now have two more updates.
The update process is far quicker than before. It used to take a couple of days. Then a year ago it took 24-36 hours. A week ago I got an approval in less than an hour.

Updates are dependent now especially on when the dev pushes it our for approval (unless they want a manual release instead of automatic after approval)

I think it automatically installs them, but at a particular time of day? All I know is, the only time I get app updates in the Notification Center, is when I wake up in the morning.

HOWEVER, if I manually check throughout the day, yeah, it will automatically install any that are ready. Does that make sense?

I think it automatically installs them, but at a particular time of day? All I know is, the only time I get app updates in the Notification Center, is when I wake up in the morning.

HOWEVER, if I manually check throughout the day, yeah, it will automatically install any that are ready. Does that make sense?

I think it'll check 24 hours after you last checked. So if you never manually check, it'll keep checking at the same time everyday, but each time to manually check you "reset" the auto check to that time.

That's the behavior I've seemed to notice at least.

Fox Mulder

Anyone have an idea why I can't download anything?

I'm trying to download app updates and it says "microsoft account service is unavailable, try again".

this happens on WiFi and lte, can't download apps either. I've restarted my phone twice, but its been like this all day.

I think it'll check 24 hours after you last checked. So if you never manually check, it'll keep checking at the same time everyday, but each time to manually check you "reset" the auto check to that time.

That's the behavior I've seemed to notice at least.

Interesting! I manually checked this afternoon, so I'll see if it auto-updates tomorrow morning or tomorrow afternoon.

Funny to see stability listed in this update. Just noticed the app updated, went to test it, and got a crash while scrolling my songs collection XD

But at least now I think it recognizes the songs I have downloaded and play them locally instead of streaming...

Ganondolf

My wallpaper app (Wallpaper Art) has just gone up in the store.

its free and is about 82mb as all the wallpapers are stored in the app ( I did this as I and others have limited data plans so its better to have them on the phone instead of getting everything from a server) so best to download over wifi.

im doing this as a hobby at the moment and trying to improve my skills so that one day I can do it as my full time job.

Link: http://www.windowsphone.com/s?appid=8872bbad-c3ac-4ce1-92ac-620ef3bc95eb

Please let me know what you think. (I have already been informed there is an error in the how to section with left and right being mixed up on the description, this will be fixed in the future).

Some of my older apps:

Wii U Box Art UK Edition (free):
http://www.windowsphone.com/s?appid=9e1b9c69-175e-4a8e-9793-988d2320e2b0

Surface Pocket Guide (free):
http://www.windowsphone.com/s?appid=616c2456-0612-46a1-8902-fb700440eea6

Surface Pocket Guide+ (This is the paid version which is ad free, please download the free version before paying for this one):
http://www.windowsphone.com/s?appid=70fc36c2-3298-4ce8-89ac-a43b209d83ac

EDIT: Above links only work on phone for pc browser links see below.

Wallpaper Art: http://www.windowsphone.com/en-gb/store/app/wallpaper-art/8872bbad-c3ac-4ce1-92ac-620ef3bc95eb

Surface Pocket Guide: http://www.windowsphone.com/en-gb/s...et-guide/616c2456-0612-46a1-8902-fb700440eea6

Surface Pocket Guide+: http://www.windowsphone.com/en-gb/s...et-guide/70fc36c2-3298-4ce8-89ac-a43b209d83ac

Wii U Box Art: http://www.windowsphone.com/en-gb/store/app/wii-u-box-art/9e1b9c69-175e-4a8e-9793-988d2320e2b0

& Link To all apps: http://www.windowsphone.com/en-GB/s...re&appId=9e1b9c69-175e-4a8e-9793-988d2320e2b0

Lucius86

Banned
Well the app no longer lists my albums all over the place like it did with the first iteration since the 8.1 update.

It's still sluggish in album scrolling, and doesn't seem to support users with the 'light' theme - background is still black for me.

It's definitely better and faster, but it still needs a lot of work before it is ready for the prime time.

When is the expected Windows Phone 8.1 release date for the general public?

Wasn't there a YouTube client that could play the video audio in the background? I know MetroTube plays with the screen off, but it stops once you leave the app

Wasn't there a YouTube client that could play the video audio in the background? I know MetroTube plays with the screen off, but it stops once you leave the app

That app would be myTube, its probably the best fully featured YouTube client, on top of playing video-audio in the background, its entire UI sits on top of the video playing, creating a pretty unique user experience, which is even better than the official YouTube apps's picture-in-picture feature.

UraMallas

I had to swap my Icon for a new one so they sent me a replacement and it is noticeably lighter than my launch Icon. Anybody else experience this? I like it.

f0lken

How can I delete songs or artis permanently from my cloud collection on Xbox Music?? Every time I delete a song it gets downloaded back instantly

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
Just noticed a new app "My Hautelook" from the store. Seems like a third party app to Hautelook's official app. Pretty cool that the store keeps getting more and more apps :)

Why they have a 10 picture/document limit on the office lens app? It's such an odd limitation when OneNote even on mobile can easily notebooks with hundred of pictures in them.

God, I hate Xbox Music. Still shit. And the other day my phone just "died" (the screen went all glitchy, like static from an old tv) and I had to turn it off (It was still working, but I couldn't see anything).

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I just updated my computer from Windows 7 to Windows 8.1 and I can't copy a single file to my Lumia 920, no matter if I try Windows's explorer or the awful Sync app. Windows detects the phone without issues and I can navigate through its folders, but I can't copy any data from my HDD.

Has anybody else found this problem before? It is driving me bananas.

I just updated my computer from Windows 7 to Windows 8.1 and I can't copy a single file to my Lumia 920, no matter if I try Windows's explorer or the awful Sync app. Windows detects the phone without issues and I can navigate through its folders, but I can't copy any data from my HDD.

Has anybody else found this problem before? It is driving me bananas.
Took me a few tries before the proper USB drivers installed. I believe I had to delete and reinstall the sync app.

derFeef

So in the current Spotify app - adding to playlist and some other stuff does not work anymore for me. App update incoming? Pretty please.

maeh2k

Kantar Worldpanel today released their latest report on smartphone sales share for key markets worldwide. The numbers turned out to be a discouraging sign for Windows Phone platform. Windows Phone saw a decrease in market share MoM in key European markets. The market share in key European markets saw a decline to 8.3% from its previous peak of 10.3% last month.

“Windows had a tough start to the year as a result of its entry-level Nokia models facing fierce competition from low-end Motorola, LG, and Samsung Android smartphones,”
(source)

Well, Windows Phone had a good run...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom