• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3 Update 3| Please be excited

Status
Not open for further replies.
I finally tried out that Lumia Icon that everyone's been talking about. They're all over the Microsoft Stores. It truly is the iPhone of the Windows Phone world. The build quality seems fantastic and the size is just perfect. It's not too jumbotastic and it's still a tad bigger than the 920. I like how sturdy and flat and thin it is.The Lumia stuff all around is very good.

PG2G

All my contacts have synched to both Google and Backup Assistant plus. If I remove the backup assistant plus will contacts sync to google when I add them? Is there an easy way to remove backup assistant plus versions of all my contacts? I belive BA+ is a Verizon thing.

When you add a contact you should be given the choice of adding it to Google

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I finally tried out that Lumia Icon that everyone's been talking about. They're all over the Microsoft Stores. It truly is the iPhone of the Windows Phone world. The build quality seems fantastic and the size is just perfect. It's not too jumbotastic and it's still a tad bigger than the 920. I like how sturdy and flat and thin it is.The Lumia stuff all around is very good.

A buddy of mine just got one and he really likes it. He is new to WP as well.

hadareud

The Translator
The new Tapatalk app is really nice. Currently in closed beta so I'm not actually allowed to say anything about it, so forget that I said anything.

Magni

I thought it was supposed to be "Cherry Blossom Pink". Makes sense if they renamed it though, the blossoms are already out. *shakes fist*

Drag the small point, it's one annoying downgrade imo, the old cursor was much better.

oh no the cursor is worse in 8.1? Dammit the cursor is so good in 8, one of the biggest improvements in daily usability I noticed when I switched from ios to WP8. Man, I hear more stuff I don't like about this update like every week.

Nero3000

Been thinking about how I would line up a portfolio of Nokia devices:

- Camera first
- 41mp PureView w/ Zenon flash
- Concessions on design (big hump) and maybe DAC
- All other 930 features
- $599

- Flagship
- 5" 1080p AMOLED ClearBlack
- High end DAC for excellent audio playback
- 20mp pureview
- 64GB storage
- Wireless charging
- Flagship Design
- $599

- Music focused
- 4.5" 768p screen AMOLED Clearblack
- High End DAC
- Wireless charging
- 8mp PureView
- $450

- Solid Midrange
- 4.3" 768p IPS screen Clearblack
- 8mp no-OIS
- midrange DAC
- 32GB
- Swappable covers for wireless charging
- $350

- Budget western market
- 4" IPS WVGA
- On screen buttons
- 5mp no-OIS LED flash
- Front facing camera
- no camera button
- $199

- Budget emerging markets
- 4" TFT WVGA
- On screen buttons
- 5mp no-OIS
- no camera button
- $99

- Phablet
- Don't care
- $599

I think the new cursor system is definitely worse than the old one.

It's very difficult to grab a selection of text sometimes, especially at the bottom of a box.

Cursor placemant is way more fiddly, no drama here.

Before it was like iOS and reviewers like Molly Wood bitched about not being able to move the cursor, because she was all Android and didn't know how to do it. Now, with Windows Phone 8.1, you get the true feeling of Android on your phone.

derFeef

Before it was like iOS and reviewers like Molly Wood bitched about not being able to move the cursor, because she was all Android and didn't know how to do it. Now, with Windows Phone 8.1, you get the true feeling of Android on your phone.

That explains it... :/

I still can't believe they took out the film roll feature in the camera app. Seriously.

And yes, Van, the memory handling in IE11 is terrible now.

hwalker84

it still depresses me when I think about the camera roll.

giphy.gif

well, it's only the nokia app. The Microsoft camera still has the camera roll by default..unless I'm misunderstanding something here....

well, it's only the nokia app. The Microsoft camera still has the camera roll by default..unless I'm misunderstanding something here....

Windows Phone 8.1 camera app
Swipe left from the view finder to the last taken picture
Pinch to zoom out and nothing happens

In previous WP versions you'd get a small view of the photos you've taken and could quickly scroll through them.

Magni

I'd always heard that Nokia/Bing maps sucked in Japan, but I only checked it out today for the first time... Wow. I hope that gets fixed by the time I make my way over there.

dKBL7xr.png

My friend's hometown, 150k people. This is embarrassing.

I'd always heard that Nokia/Bing maps sucked in Japan, but I only checked it out today for the first time... Wow. I hope that gets fixed by the time I make my way over there.

dKBL7xr.png

My friend's hometown, 150k people. This is embarrassing.

WP support for Japan in general sucks. No maps, no voice/optical translation (even though Japanese would benefit more than most languages since it can be a pain to type the characters out) and of course no Japanese developed apps for the important stuff in Japan like catching a train.

Just rent a Japanese iPhone while you're there. Or actually a Japanese flip phone would probably be a better choice than WP.

hwalker84

Changing to the Microsoft camera app didn't work. Was surfing the internet with my phone laying on the table and the camera launched. So annoying.

NeOak

Changing to the Microsoft camera app didn't work. Was surfing the internet with my phone laying on the table and the camera launched. So annoying.
1520?

That doesn't happen on mine. But the screen on mine is super sensitive. I stop scrolling and it thinks I've tapped where I lifted my finger off.

Plus, LTE performance has been abysmal lately. What's a good bandwidth tester?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom