• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3 Update 3| Please be excited

Status
Not open for further replies.

nillapuddin

Thank goodness that music hub app was released

Everytime I accidentally open the 8.1 music app I cry.

As someone who didn't have a windows phone before 8.1, I thought the music app was serviceable, but after having access to the old version, wow. They should be ashamed.

hwalker84

What was wrong with the old music app that they are going to kill it?

They wanted to lift the app out of the OS so that it can be steadily updated. Which made them start from scratch again. Don't worry by the time it becomes fast, feature packed, and well done. WP9 will be out and they'll start from scratch again.

Magni

My mom's been rocking the 710 for the past two years, about time I get her a new phone. I was looking at the 720, but for some reason I can't find it anywhere in cyan, only red or black.

Does anyone have the red 720? How is it?

Yeah, the app is bad, but at least some back end stuff have improved on 8.1.

For instance, now I can add songs to my collection directly from the store, which is useful to add songs tagged by shazam or Bing/Cortana search.

Speaking of which, the song collection has gotten better the last months too.I had many tags that weren't available on the service and now every single one of them was.

Text searching also feels better on 8.1

Has anyone learned of a successful fix for the 8016fe6 error when trying to migrate to a different MS account?

Would still love to give my mom my old 8X, but until I figure out how to get my stuff over to my MS account, I'm sort of stuck.

bkw

How do updates work with Windows Phone? All I know is how iOS works, which is everything by Apple, so it doesn't matter what's still sold by carriers.

WP requires the carrier or manufacturer to push an update right? What happens if a WP is discontinued by a carrier or manufacturer? Does that mean usually mean no more updates?

catmincer

My mom's been rocking the 710 for the past two years, about time I get her a new phone. I was looking at the 720, but for some reason I can't find it anywhere in cyan, only red or black.

Does anyone have the red 720? How is it?

Red Lumias are offensive. The plastic on them is glossy and gross. I think the 620 comes in cyan.

hankster

Ok fellow WPers, I'm still seeing worse battery life on 8.1 even after giving it plenty of time to settle down, a soft reboot or two, many power cycles... have heard that the wipe and restore might help, but will it restore all my apps and settings (such as screen layout) if I do this?

TIA

Borman

How do updates work with Windows Phone? All I know is how iOS works, which is everything by Apple, so it doesn't matter what's still sold by carriers.

WP requires the carrier or manufacturer to push an update right? What happens if a WP is discontinued by a carrier or manufacturer? Does that mean usually mean no more updates?

As of late, we've had the updates available through Microsoft, bypassing the carrier entirely.

PG2G

Ok fellow WPers, I'm still seeing worse battery life on 8.1 even after giving it plenty of time to settle down, a soft reboot or two, many power cycles... have heard that the wipe and restore might help, but will it restore all my apps and settings (such as screen layout) if I do this?

TIA

Screen layout yes, app data no. Apps will need to be updated for 8.1 to support backup of app data.

You should try disabling some stuff like internet explorer sync to help with battery. It helped for me

Magni

Red Lumias are offensive. The plastic on them is glossy and gross. I think the 620 comes in cyan.

Apparently it's matte red for the 720 though. Also, I already gave my grandmother a cyan 620 last year, want to keep some variety in the family phones haha.

hankster

Screen layout yes, app data no. Apps will need to be updated for 8.1 to support backup of app data.

You should try disabling some stuff like internet explorer sync to help with battery. It helped for me
Thanks - trying that first. Here's hoping!

I needed a cheap T-Mo phone, and got the 521 and the Incipio case from the Microsoft Store for $70. I'm pretty happy with the phone, especially for the price.

It definitely takes some getting used to, and I'm not sure I'll stick with WP (I'm platform agnostic - have Windows 8 PC, MBP, Nexus 7, now WP - and don't buy apps, so switching to the best OS device in my price range is relatively painless). But this phone punches way above its weight, and I'll second any and all recommendations. Well done by Nokia and MS.

TIA

I'm pretty sure IE 11 sucks battery like crazy.

dLMN8R

Updates for mobile phones (this includes Android) always involve a combination of software for the OS, firmware for the device, and other software changes/fixes/extras from both the manufacturer and the mobile operator.

For Windows Phone, all of those pieces are hosted on Microsoft's servers, and the carriers and manufacturers tell Microsoft when it's ready for release. Once they give the go-ahead, it's released and customers get it.

The vast majority of phones get updates. All Lumias will get the 8.1 update. Most non-Lumias will probably get it too.

More recently, there's been a developer program that allow you to get the OS bits sooner - that's how people here are already using 8.1. Once the carriers and manufacturers release their other pieces, people in the developer program will get those too. It'll probably also come with a slightly newer version of the OS bits with further fixes.

Does anybody know how can I sync tabs from other Windows devices on my phone? I'm not having any luck.

Click the tabs icon, you should now see 'phone' and 'other'. Under other you should see the device name and active tabs on that device.

Like this:
ippwJZffGutvC.gif

KageMaru

Has anyone learned of a successful fix for the 8016fe6 error when trying to migrate to a different MS account?

Would still love to give my mom my old 8X, but until I figure out how to get my stuff over to my MS account, I'm sort of stuck.

Are you trying to change the email address associated with your account or something else? Sorry searching for that error didn't produce any solid results.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Click the tabs icon, you should now see 'phone' and 'other'. Under other you should see the device name and active tabs on that device.

Like this:
ippwJZffGutvC.gif
Yeah, that's the thing - it showed some old open tab at first, and now nothing at all. It's like it can't sync with my tablet.

n64coder

Updates for mobile phones (this includes Android) always involve a combination of software for the OS, firmware for the device, and other software changes/fixes/extras from both the manufacturer and the mobile operator.

Is this also true for iOS? It seems that carrier updates for WP lag badly. I use AIO and I'm still on the Amber update when Black was released a few months ago.

ElNino

Thank goodness that music hub app was released

Everytime I accidentally open the 8.1 music app I cry.

As someone who didn't have a windows phone before 8.1, I thought the music app was serviceable, but after having access to the old version, wow. They should be ashamed.
Does the Music Hub app screw up playlists for anyone else?

In Xbox Music I currently have three playlists which have 51, 60 and 112 songs in them. In the Music Hub, two of them are correct (51 & 60 song playlists) while the third one has ~2500 songs listed in it. A quick scroll through the playlist seems like it repeats the playlist many times along with a few songs that are repeated with different versions not in the Xbox Music one.

J. Bravo

Why is my phone dying while plugged in? Just went from 88 to 84 in like 2 minutes. And earlier this morning it went from 100 to 24 in about 1 hour. Also, when I lose service, and then go somewhere else I have service, it doesn't connect back to lte or 4g unless I restart it.

Edit: Restarted my phone, and its back up to 91.... After falling to 68. I'm running 8.1 btw

Yeah, that's the thing - it showed some old open tab at first, and now nothing at all. It's like it can't sync with my tablet.

On your Windows 8.1 device you did set PC settings > OneDrive > sync settings > Web browser? And on your phone Settings > sync my settings > internet explorer?

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
On your Windows 8.1 device you did set PC settings > OneDrive > sync settings > Web browser? And on your phone Settings > sync my settings > internet explorer?

Yep, those are my settings.

Oddly enough, I *am* seeing all my tabs now. It looks like it takes several minutes (half an hour?) to update.

So the latest music app still hasn't fixed that noise issue when changing between tracks. I still can't believe this was created by the same company that produced the Zune player.

hadareud

The Translator
After using it for a few days and a couple of updates, I can genuinely say that the new Tapatalk app is very good.

I haven't used it on another platform for a long time, but I'd be very surprised if it was lagging behind either feature or design wise.

dLMN8R

Is this also true for iOS? It seems that carrier updates for WP lag badly. I use AIO and I'm still on the Amber update when Black was released a few months ago.

iOS updates are completely different since there are just fixed devices entirely controlled by Apple. They make the hardware and the OS, and carriers can't change anything on them.

Compared to Android devices where rarely even get updates a year out, Windows Phone is pretty good.

Updates usually lag because of bugs, not because they're trying to screw you over.

Unless you have AT&T, where yes they are trying to screw you over by taking out Data Sense.

Speaking of, if I wait for the official 8.1 release will that have Data Sense on an AT&T phone? If I download the preview will the official update remove Data Sense?

Unless you have AT&T, where yes they are trying to screw you over by taking out Data Sense.

Speaking of, if I wait for the official 8.1 release will that have Data Sense on an AT&T phone? If I download the preview will the official update remove Data Sense?

The data sense app now says it's data measured by your phone, not your carrier. I think it was measured by your carrier on WP8, which is why it was dependent on carriers to okay the feature.

So, it should be fine.

Razdek

Banned
So the latest music app still hasn't fixed that noise issue when changing between tracks. I still can't believe this was created by the same company that produced the Zune player.

The app wasn't created by the Zune team though. It's created by interns in France with people learning as they go.

Ape

Banned
I was watching the new Jack Ryan movie and the main character uses WP. This made the movie unrealistic.

same thing with that show The Following. They use Windows Phones. I was like, "if this show wasn't ridiculous enough already."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom