• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3 Update 3| Please be excited

Status
Not open for further replies.

hwalker84

1520?

That doesn't happen on mine. But the screen on mine is super sensitive. I stop scrolling and it thinks I've tapped where I lifted my finger off.

Plus, LTE performance has been abysmal lately. What's a good bandwidth tester?

Yep 1520. My sensitivity issues are almost gone but the damn camera launches on its own several times a day. Didn't happen in windows phone 8.0.

MarkusRJR

Oh wow my friend's Lumia 925 got in and it looks so damn nice. Build quality is awesome too. Really contemplating picking one up but my 625 is totally good and the battery on the 925 isn't good from what I've heard (especially on 8.1).

Oh wow my friend's Lumia 925 got in and it looks so damn nice. Build quality is awesome too. Really contemplating picking one up but my 625 is totally good and the battery on the 925 isn't good from what I've heard (especially on 8.1).

I get almost 2 days out of my 925 on 8.1.

MarkusRJR

I get almost 2 days out of my 925 on 8.1.
Oh man and I just got a bunch of tax returns and a pay cheque that I was going to save.

So tempted since it's Nexus 5 level pricing ($370 unlocked and with no carrier branding). Might just hold off and import a Lumia 930, but I dunno.

The PureView game is over, folks.

Now that Nokia is out of the smartphone game, many of its key engineers are undoubtedly considering their options. Senior Lumia engineer Ari Partinen, who Nokia calls "(our) own camera expert" has just made his choice, and it's apparently not Microsoft. He just tweeted that he'll be "starting a new chapter in Cupertino," then confirmed that his new boss is indeed Tim Cook. Though Apple's iPhone 5s camera is already considered good, it could be looking for more, judging by this hire. Of course, Nokia has plenty of folks who worked on the PureView line, and Partinen is just one part of that team. But whatever you think of its Windows Phone handsets, those cameras are universally acknowledged as being some of the best in the industry.

http://www.engadget.com/2014/05/09/apple-just-hired-nokias-pureview-camera-expert/

Nero3000

Jony Ive - "Ari, I've given you a 4mm x 4mm x 4mm space for you to work your magic"

Ari - "At nokia I was given 12mm depth and could put a sensor 4 times as lar....."

Jony - " Listen...i'm the god of fucking thunder here...4 x 4 x 4 and it better come in Aluminium"

Ari - "... :("

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Yep 1520. My sensitivity issues are almost gone but the damn camera launches on its own several times a day. Didn't happen in windows phone 8.0.

Are you sure it's not the camera button that is being pressed? If its in a case, check that the case isn't pressing it. If its naked, makes sure the button doesn't have anything stuck in it.

hwalker84

Are you sure it's not the camera button that is being pressed? If its in a case, check that the case isn't pressing it. If its naked, makes sure the button doesn't have anything stuck in it.
No case (I hate cases) and the button is fine. I've been sitting there reading a news article in weave with the phone laying on the table and the camera launches on its own. Last night my phone was flat on the bar while I was watching the draft. I used Cortana for a search. Camera starts to launch. It usually happens right as I'm launching a completely different app or within 30 seconds of entering a new app.

Tomcat

You're saying they had two great losses in that division? One could argue that the 1020 wasn't even that big of a step up, compared to the 808.

it couldn't be a big step. Pureview on symbian was a 5 year project and used a second gpu on the 808. Things like the latter wasn't supported from WP and had to make some compromises.

JaggedSac

Jony Ive - "Ari, I've given you a 4mm x 4mm x 4mm space for you to work your magic"

Ari - "At nokia I was given 12mm depth and could put a sensor 4 times as lar....."

Jony - " Listen...i'm the god of fucking thunder here...4 x 4 x 4 and it better come in Aluminium"

Ari - "... :("

lol, that is what I was thinking.

NeOak

The PureView game is over, folks.

Now that Nokia is out of the smartphone game, many of its key engineers are undoubtedly considering their options. Senior Lumia engineer Ari Partinen, who Nokia calls "(our) own camera expert" has just made his choice, and it's apparently not Microsoft. He just tweeted that he'll be "starting a new chapter in Cupertino," then confirmed that his new boss is indeed Tim Cook. Though Apple's iPhone 5s camera is already considered good, it could be looking for more, judging by this hire. Of course, Nokia has plenty of folks who worked on the PureView line, and Partinen is just one part of that team. But whatever you think of its Windows Phone handsets, those cameras are universally acknowledged as being some of the best in the industry.

http://www.engadget.com/2014/05/09/apple-just-hired-nokias-pureview-camera-expert/
Brit, where is the verge's article?

PG2G

Something I always wondered but was too lazy to test, glad to see I can turn auto uploading on again

The decision has therefore been taken to change how all this works for Windows Phone 8.1. From now on (and as can be seen by anyone playing with the Developer Preview), 'Best' quality auto-uploading sends the underlying higher resolution image up to OneDrive, i.e. a 34MP or 38MP image on a Lumia 1020 and a 16MP or 21MP image on a 1520 or 930.

It used to auto upload the 5MP image which made it pretty much useless

Something I always wondered but was too lazy to test, glad to see I can turn auto uploading on again

Hmmm, so that's the reason my re-frames doesn't get auto uploaded, instead they are sending the full res pictures.

Okay, I can live with that :p

Magni

WP support for Japan in general sucks. No maps, no voice/optical translation (even though Japanese would benefit more than most languages since it can be a pain to type the characters out) and of course no Japanese developed apps for the important stuff in Japan like catching a train.

Just rent a Japanese iPhone while you're there. Or actually a Japanese flip phone would probably be a better choice than WP.

:( App support is one thing, you need local developers for that, but maps? It's been three years, what has the maps team done?

edit: they don't look sooo bad on desktop, what's up with the phone app?

JaggedSac

That is fantastic. Getting those big guys off the phone was less than convenient.

I got a Lumia Icon yesterday, love the phone, but I feel like I might have gotten screwed over on the price a bit.

On the website, the phone is $99 with a two year contract. The guy I was dealing with told me the "in store price" is $250 with a $100 mail-in rebate.

So yeah, I paid $270 for my Icon yesterday. I feel like that's a bit outrageous, then again I'm new to buying smart phones so I don't know if this is a normal. Is it?

hwalker84

I got a Lumia Icon yesterday, love the phone, but I feel like I might have gotten screwed over on the price a bit.

On the website, the phone is $99 with a two year contract. The guy I was dealing with told me the "in store price" is $250 with a $100 mail-in rebate.

So yeah, I paid $270 for my Icon yesterday. I feel like that's a bit outrageous, then again I'm new to buying smart phones so I don't know if this is a normal. Is it?
Doesn't sound like you went to a real Verizon store. Maybe one of those mall kiosks that's just a Verizon reseller.

Razdek

Banned
Xbox music is just terrible everywhere except the W8 app. Booted up the xbone and it took minutes to sync my playlists and I only have 5 with about 30-50 songs in each. Not to also mention syncing is flaky for all the devices as sometimes it shows up and sometimes it doesn't. WTF?

hwalker84

Xbox music is just terrible everywhere except the W8 app. Booted up the xbone and it took minutes to sync my playlists and I only have 5 with about 30-50 songs in each. Not to also mention syncing is flaky for all the devices as sometimes it shows up and sometimes it doesn't. WTF?
Microsoft "Hey here's this new way of developing apps. To proof how awesome it is we will build our Music app with the same tools you guys have available."

Still poop! Pretty much any app that starts with "Xbox" sucks.

Downloaded the new Xbox music and started it up to check it out. Then when I went to the apps as I left work I was greeted with a solid 15 second resume screen.

Yeah pretty much. Smartglass performs poorly, new games hub does as well, and we all know the current state of the music app on 8.1. The except being the music app on Windows though, it's pretty great.

Razdek

Banned
Microsoft "Hey here's this new way of developing apps. To proof how awesome it is we will build our Music app with the same tools you guys have available."

Yea it's getting to a point where it's making me angry that I paid for a shoddy product. It seems to sync fine on my Android devices but it's all over the place on my Windows devices.

MarkusRJR

I just learnt that on 8.1 they removed the music, video, and podcast sections from the store. What the fuck? Now there is literally no way to browse through different artists, new releases, etc in regards to music. You literally only have the ability to manually search for specific artists now. This is bullshit.

I came to WP7 for it's awesome music playback and subscription services. Why on earth has it constantly been getting worse? Why will I inevitably lose the ability to discover music due to these constant downgrades? I'm really on the verge of canceling my subscription I've had since the Zune days over this shit. It's unbelievable how the service has been getting consistently and objective worse over time.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I don't think the Xbox music app that we "developers" have will be the final version consumers will get in terms of features. I brought up the point in my last post about not being able to see new releases. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt, but the app is awful and its crazy that they would take such a big step backwards and seemingly start from scratch again.

The developer preview has so many issues that I haven't installed in on my wife's phone or my daughter's 520. They both love music too much for me to screw that up for them just for a notification center and Cortana. My wife also uses the built in social media integration, and the experience on the dev preview is terrible.

hwalker84

I don't think the Xbox music app that we "developers" have will be the final version consumers will get in terms of features. I brought up the point in my last post about not being able to see new releases. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt, but the app is awful and its crazy that they would take such a big step backwards and seemingly start from scratch again.

The developer preview has so many issues that I haven't installed in on my wife's phone or my daughter's 520. They both love music too much for me to screw that up for them just for a notification center and Cortana. My wife also uses the built in social media integration, and the experience on the dev preview is terrible.
I agree. Haven't installed this on my 1020 or 520(It's my workout Mp3 player). I'm not too upset about the social changes if the Facebook app wasn't a steaming pile of shit. At least the Windows 8.1 music app isn't bad.

Super slow
Terrible layout
Long resuming
Missing album art
No new releases
Etc!

Microsoft keeps changing the dev tools and language. Then starts from scratch again and again.

NeOak

So I had awful speed browsing the internet and using Skype/Facebook/Messenger and all apps. I couldn't even download apps from the Store and I had try several times before it finally download the app.

Performance went down so bad I thought I had a hardware problem. I deleted the browsing history because it was the last thing I hadn't tried.

Boom! Everything is fast again.

IE11 on WP8.1 degrades everything if the history gets too big. Wtf?

my Lumia 2520's fast charge feature is simply amazing. seriously, 75 mins plugged in to get to 100% charge. WTF, this needs to make it to phones ASAP.

Ape

Banned
So I had awful speed browsing the internet and using Skype/Facebook/Messenger and all apps. I couldn't even download apps from the Store and I had try several times before it finally download the app.

Performance went down so bad I thought I had a hardware problem. I deleted the browsing history because it was the last thing I hadn't tried.

Boom! Everything is fast again.

IE11 on WP8.1 degrades everything if the history gets too big. Wtf?

It really is like desktop IE!

I get that "final" 8.1 doesn't official launch to consumers until next month and the so the state of apps like Xbox Music prior to that official launch doesn't really matter in the long run.

That said, based on the state of the app right now, and the progress that's been made in the two updates so far, I don't have much faith that it'll be a good app in another month to six weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom