• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3 Update 3| Please be excited

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the goal is for Silverlight to die and everything to become universal apps. Apparently W8-style apps are 30% faster than Silverlight apps in 8.1 so the sooner they move away from that crap the better
They are faster. I found the new Universal App platform more fun to code for too, minus a couple annoyances (Due to Windows 8 not being caught up... also because of a lack of way to do WP specific features on the WP side of apps).

Anyhow though, The hard part of their plan for this is that they will need to get developers with already made apps to go ahead and port them over to the new model, something which isn't hard and would take most developers a couple weeks tops, but longer due to the high potential for push-back of the type "its a small platform, why do I need to put in all this work"

They do seem to enjoy taking their time killing Silverlight though considering they managed to burn XNA to the ground overnight. I personally would have gone the route they did with WP7 -> WP8 with 8.1 where you can continue to make apps that target WP8 and WP8.1 by making a WP8 app, but restrict new features to the new Universal App Model (inside of the WP8.1 project outside of the shared solution). That would get them there much faster and would solve the problem of not being able to do Phone specific stuff with Universal Apps.

derFeef

With luck I will have a 630 tomorrow - curious about the 8.1 version on there!

edit: Also battery life of my 920 is a lot better without Cortana enabled.

KageMaru

A buddy at work was hoping to find a nice budget pre-paid Android phone to replace his Iphone 3 but I talked him into picking up a Lumia 520 instead. I don't even know of any quality Android phones you can get for ~$60, so I hope he's happy with the Lumia.

Has anybody come across a bug in the latest iteration of 6Snap where by it doesn't update to show snaps have been opened?

I sent one out earlier today and when speaking to people they brought it up, but the app still shows that they haven't been opened.

Hey does anyone else have a problem on Gawker network sites like Kotaku where a giant play button like for a video along with a black background covers up the top portion of every single page?

MarkusRJR

The feels when my Lumia 625 falls off my bed while I'm sleeping and the screen cracks. Still totally usable, but lol... Gorilla Glass my ass. :p

You don't need to tell me it mainly protects against scratches, but it was like a 2 foot drop onto hard wood floor.

hadareud

The Translator
Yes, I think for the price it really is great.

At the end of the day this isn't going up against the Moto G, but against the Moto E. Still question the screen resolution and ram, though.

Bing Rewards officially live on 8.1 now. I just tried it and can confirm my points increased with each bing/cortana search.

We gonna be rich boys.

NeOak

The feels when my Lumia 625 falls off my bed while I'm sleeping and the screen cracks. Still totally usable, but lol... Gorilla Glass my ass. :p

You don't need to tell me it mainly protects against scratches, but it was like a 2 foot drop onto hard wood floor.
Your 625 was telling you to upgrade to a 630.

:p

PG2G

Woohoo, the stretch goal of the sous vide machine I ordered on kickstarter got met so we get a windows phone app :D

PG2G

Still getting black screens when resuming Xbox music. How can they continue to retire it without fixing such a an annoying bug?

PG2G

The music app works decent for me, maybe o don't have as many songs as other or something.

Everytime I launch it from scratch it loads up fine. If I resume it from the multitasking menu it rained fine, if I resume it from the start screen it never loads :/

Doffen

Norwegian retailers has stared listing Lumia 930, and the price isn't as high as I would thought.
A lot cheaper than S5 and Z2.

Now should I wait for the 1020 successor or go for 930?

Magni

How long is WP gonna remain Whatsapp-less? I still don't know why it was pulled from the store for all users if the bug only concerned WP8 GDR3 ><

DonMigs85

Sometimes the touch screen still stops responding on my mom's Lumia 720, then it comes back in maybe 20-30 seconds or you press power then wake up the phone again to get it working immediately. All apps are fully updated, but I won't install 8.1 just yet.

areal

Is it normal for the lock-unlock sounds and the keyboard clicking to be relatively quiet? Even with the ring volume set at 7 or 8 (out of 10) these sound effects are very subtle. (Lumia 1020, running the 8.1 preview.)

hankster

???

Just used it when I went to see "Godzilla" - upon exiting CineMode it crashed and I got no reward.

<sigh...>
Update: did get reward, just not displayed at first. Two updates for this app have been pushed out already. Usually an app comes out and isn't updated for months so this is progress of sorts eh?

MarkusRJR

Is it normal for the lock-unlock sounds and the keyboard clicking to be relatively quiet? Even with the ring volume set at 7 or 8 (out of 10) these sound effects are very subtle. (Lumia 1020, running the 8.1 preview.)
On my Ativ S I remember them being super loud, but on my Lumia 625 they were near silent unless volume was 20/30 or more (then everything else was super loud)

Kind of weird.

Magni

They are faster. I found the new Universal App platform more fun to code for too, minus a couple annoyances (Due to Windows 8 not being caught up... also because of a lack of way to do WP specific features on the WP side of apps).

Anyhow though, The hard part of their plan for this is that they will need to get developers with already made apps to go ahead and port them over to the new model, something which isn't hard and would take most developers a couple weeks tops, but longer due to the high potential for push-back of the type "its a small platform, why do I need to put in all this work"

They do seem to enjoy taking their time killing Silverlight though considering they managed to burn XNA to the ground overnight. I personally would have gone the route they did with WP7 -> WP8 with 8.1 where you can continue to make apps that target WP8 and WP8.1 by making a WP8 app, but restrict new features to the new Universal App Model (inside of the WP8.1 project outside of the shared solution). That would get them there much faster and would solve the problem of not being able to do Phone specific stuff with Universal Apps.

I went ahead an upgraded my app to WP8.1, but how do I make it a universal app now? I'm now seeing "Add Windows 8.1" when I right click on the project. Can you not do that with Silverlight apps?

I'm debating starting a new project since my app isn't released yet anyways and I'm also going to be dealing with a brand new set of API endpoints (so I'll have to add/change a lot of code).

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Looks like the Lumia 635 will be coming to Telus and Rogers in Canada. Hope they announce the 930 this summer for Canada as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom