• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3 Update 3| Please be excited

Status
Not open for further replies.

RM8

Do WP7 devices even support the Nokia Here apps? Because if it does, that would be your best bet.
Nokia Drive seems to be okay. Also, man, terrible timing for Whatsapp to get removed from the store :/ It's most likely coming back, right? That's one of the things my father wanted too.

Nokia Drive seems to be okay. Also, man, terrible timing for Whatsapp to get removed from the store :/ It's most likely coming back, right? That's one of the things my father wanted too.

What about the Here Maps app? As long as you have those two I'd assume he would be fine as that would be the two main Map apps (directions and generic mapping)

apparently that app that was removed is getting a bunch of bug fixes and will be put back on the store soon

Thing is, you probably don't really need to remove an app to put an update on it. Then again, it might be because too many people are seeing a buggy app. (I don't have any issues with WhatsApp at all.)

KageMaru

Thing is, you probably don't really need to remove an app to put an update on it. Then again, it might be because too many people are seeing a buggy app. (I don't have any issues with WhatsApp at all.)

It looks like the issues 8.1 users were experiencing may have been the main reason it got pulled. I wonder if they didn't see a quick fix and decided to unpublish the app with 8.1 coming around the corner.

Magni

It looks like the issues 8.1 users were experiencing may have been the main reason it got pulled. I wonder if they didn't see a quick fix and decided to unpublish the app with 8.1 coming around the corner.

Is the static hiss issue there on 8.0? I wonder where that's coming from, could also be related to the battery drain issue.

So I just watched the misfortune of a Lumia 920 on AT&T get data locked after updating to 8.1 No backup, which means a required hard reset will take away everything. Has this been a common issue? What are solutions? I know I'm not updating anytime soon until OTA hits.

Just replaced my white 820 shell due to various cracks from the multiple drops it had been through. I opted for cyan -- which matt. MS really need to get back on the cyan train that Nokia seemingly abandoned. It's the best colour.

Magni

Just had an idea last night concerning Games in the App list.

The home screen is basically a Pivot screen, with the first pivot being the start screen and the second being the app list.

Why not add a third pivot, which would look just like the second, but with only the games in it?

Thoughts?

Just had an idea last night concerning Games in the App list.

The home screen is basically a Pivot screen, with the first pivot being the start screen and the second being the app list.

Why not add a third pivot, which would look just like the second, but with only the games in it?

Thoughts?
i think the left/other pivot is used for kid's corner, unfortunately.

derFeef

José Mourinho;112562629 said:
Just replaced my white 820 shell due to various cracks from the multiple drops it had been through. I opted for cyan -- which matt. MS really need to get back on the cyan train that Nokia seemingly abandoned. It's the best colour.

Do you have 8.1 installed? How is the battery life treating you with the 820 as I heard stock is pretty terrible in the first place.

My 920 battery life is definitely better since yesterdays update.

I take my phone off charge at 8am, and normally by 6pm it's at 17-25%. Now (8pm) it's still at 36%.

Edit *

Midnight now and the battery has only hit 20%, massive improvement.

joshschw

Do you have 8.1 installed? How is the battery life treating you with the 820 as I heard stock is pretty terrible in the first place.

I have an 820 with 8.1. Honestly I think battery life is outstanding. Right now at 61%, been off the charger over 12 hours at this point. That's pretty much my norm.

Yes, the battery is poor if I GPS track a walk or bike ride, but that's normal because the battery itself is smaller than the 920/930, for example, but GPS uses the same amount regardless of phone specs/size.

Totakeke

Sigh, my carrier went to crap and I couldn't get data connection on my phone since yesterday. Apparently switching off 4G/LTE could temporarily resolve the problem but I can't find any options on the 8.1 preview.

Anyone knows how?

derFeef

Sigh, my carrier went to crap and I couldn't get data connection on my phone since yesterday. Apparently switching off 4G/LTE could temporarily resolve the problem but I can't find any options on the 8.1 preview.

Anyone knows how?

Settings>Cellular+Sim>Sim settings

I can't highlight how much better my 920 battery life is. Took it off charge at 8am and now (11am) it's still at 94%. Previously it would have been in the 70% range.

KageMaru

Well a few days after the update and I'm starting to run into the same issues as before. The start screen needs to load after unlocking the phone. The start screen also would sometimes lock up when I try to open an app, forcing me to lock/unlock my phone before the app would open.

A new issue I've run into is not being able to close apps. Happened a few time last night alone. Would slide the card down to close the app, just for the same app to appear on the screen. The back button became unresponsive during these times. One instance, I had multiple apps open, tried to close them but the cards just came in a loop where I closed the same three cards three times before giving up and finally restarting my phone. All has been well since the restart last night, but it's still disappointing to see the performance issues have not been resolved.

Well a few days after the update and I'm starting to run into the same issues as before. The start screen needs to load after unlocking the phone. The start screen also would sometimes lock up when I try to open an app, forcing me to lock/unlock my phone before the app would open.

A new issue I've run into is not being able to close apps. Happened a few time last night alone. Would slide the card down to close the app, just for the same app to appear on the screen. The back button became unresponsive during these times. One instance, I had multiple apps open, tried to close them but the cards just came in a loop where I closed the same three cards three times before giving up and finally restarting my phone. All has been well since the restart last night, but it's still disappointing to see the performance issues have not been resolved.

This really is a shame, and isn't acceptable. Have you done a Reset-My-Phone? I can't help but wonder whether something went wrong during the update, or perhaps there's a horribly misacting driver. Which phone do you have?

KageMaru

This really is a shame, and isn't acceptable. Have you done a Reset-My-Phone? I can't help but wonder whether something went wrong during the update, or perhaps there's a horribly misacting driver. Which phone do you have?

I tried resetting my phone with the original 8.1 update and similar to now, it runs fine for a few days before bugging out again. You think I should do it again after the recent update? Luckily I had the diagnostic app monitoring for general issues when my phone started really acting up. Hopefully it was able to monitor the cause of my issues.

I'm using an Icon. I've had it since launch day without issue until the 8.1 update. I have faith you guys will get it all sorted out. =)

ElNino

I can't highlight how much better my 920 battery life is. Took it off charge at 8am and now (11am) it's still at 94%. Previously it would have been in the 70% range.
Yep, stand by battery usage improved a lot with the update. I took my 1020 off the charger at 6:30 AM yesterday, and after more than a day of light/moderate usage I'm sitting at around 40%.

I intentionally didn't charge it over night as I normally do, and it only used 5% (60% to 55%) in about 7 hours.

JaggedSac

My wife's 920 has gone bonkers after the update. Cortana pops up every time she hits the power button. The proximity sensor stopped working and she is hanging up on people constantly. It randomly goes into "airplane" mode. Sometimes the screen becomes unresponsive, happened this morning when her alarm went off, lol.

Totakeke

Settings>Cellular+Sim>Sim settings

Here? I don't see it.
9gFWdF1.png

Don't tell me this is a stupid AT&T restriction again.

NeOak

Woah, you have my love. Had that problem for more than one day now.
Yeah, idk why the browser history gets crowded and sends your bandwidth to the depths of hell for any app.

And lets not forget IE11's fear of using available RAM to cache.

Aaaargh stupid phone. I just saw the ghost of Paul Walker driving down the Ventura Freeway towards downtown LA in a silver R-34 Skyline GT-R but I couldn't take a picture because apparently this phone can't play a podcast over Bluetooth, give turn by turn GPS navigation and directions over Bluetooth, and shoot video all at the same time. So the camera app would load but every time I tried to actually take a picture or start video rolling the app crashed. Then I almost crashed. Dammit.

GWX

The battery life on my Lumia 620 is pretty awful now with 8.1

Same on mine. Let's say I go to sleep when my 620 is at 70% battery. When I wake up, 620 is at 10% or so. Just terrible, even with everything turned off (cellular data, apps running in the background, location services, etc).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom