• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3 Update 3| Please be excited

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love my Lumia 2520 and hate to see RT go. I know Phone will take over small tablets soon but I don't see the new Phone/tablet OS being polished enough to my liking (for tablet at least).

I agree though that having RT in the market just generates a clusterfuck of confusion for 90% of consumers.

Bloomberg says it was pretty much done and Microsoft and Elop killed it.
Link?

Edit: Found it.

The Pro versions of Microsoft’s device are outshipping the RT version, which uses ARM-based chips, by a margin of about four to one, according to IDC.
Yup, pretty much means an early death. Oh please oh please make the unified mobile OS use the glorious IE Modern browser from RT and not the IE from Phone. That's all I ask.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I just bought a surface 2 and now rt is dead. My timing is impeccable.

Also, how can Windows phone compete when Samsung and HTC will fire off two versions of their flagships, with the 801 and 805 chips respectively, before Nokia can launch their 930, which has last year's 800 chipset?

Plus the Chinese superphones at $300. This space is officially too crowded for Microsoft to compete and keep up.

hwalker84

I just bought a surface 2 and now rt is dead. My timing is impeccable.

Also, how can Windows phone compete when Samsung and HTC will fire off two versions of their flagships, with the 801 and 805 chips respectively, before Nokia can launch their 930, which has last year's 800 chipset?

Plus the Chinese superphones at $300. This space is officially too crowded for Microsoft to compete and keep up.

“We're definitely here and paying attention to what you folks are asking for... keep in mind the trick for us is balancing things that make EXISTING devices better for you, our enthusiast users, versus things that create new devices to sell to a broader audience. A lot of the work in 8.1 was around enabling new devices-- like the Lumia 930, dual sim phones for emerging markets, etc. so that we could keep growing the size of the WP ecosystem. We need to grow the number of people using WP so we get ISVs writing the apps, we get better/more accessories built, etc.

Of course this takes time and energy, but we still do intend to improve the user experience for you via new features. There's some in 8.1 (eg. Cortana, Notification Center) there's more coming later this year, and still more after that.

Don't worry - we are listening to you folks!”

Totakeke

2014 - Surface Pro 3: You'll want to replace both your laptop and tablet with this!

2015 - Surface Mini: You'll want to add a tablet to bring along with your laptop device!

It's probably a blessing in disguise that the Mini is cancelled.

There's still a good bunch of people that wouldn't be caught dead with Chinese or Taiwanese phones. Or a Samsung.

Totakeke

Yeah, idk why the browser history gets crowded and sends your bandwidth to the depths of hell for any app.

And lets not forget IE11's fear of using available RAM to cache.

Your fix only worked once (or it never worked and I was actually using WiFi...). :(

kharma45

Same on mine. Let's say I go to sleep when my 620 is at 70% battery. When I wake up, 620 is at 10% or so. Just terrible, even with everything turned off (cellular data, apps running in the background, location services, etc).

Mine was terrible after the first update but after that latest update to 8.1 it's fairly solid again.

Same on mine. Let's say I go to sleep when my 620 is at 70% battery. When I wake up, 620 is at 10% or so. Just terrible, even with everything turned off (cellular data, apps running in the background, location services, etc).

My 820 does this too, some days I leave it overnight and it goes from 100 -> 10%, other days I wake up and its 95%

Can't figure out whats going on as I pretty much do the same thing ever day and to be honest the days it drains like crazy are few and far between, a quick charge in the car before I get on the tram to work and its enough to last me till I get into the office.

I don't think it's dead at all. It will be merged with WP and when that's ready there will be new devices.

It's clear that it gets merged, but the question is if they're going to provide an upgrade path to existing RT users or if they're going to pull a Windows Phone 7.

So in that sense, yes, RT might be dead.

MarkusRJR

It's clear that it gets merged, but the question is if they're going to provide an upgrade path to existing RT users or if they're going to pull a Windows Phone 7.

If they pull another WM6 -> WP7 or WP7 -> WP8 lack of upgrades for existing users I am legitimately moving away from everything MS (except Xbox).

Getting sick of the weird constant reboots of apps (eg. the continually redone Zune/Xbox Music with worse performance and less features with each iteration), features, etc along with slow delayed updates. No upgrade path AGAIN (not WP but still an MS platform) would make me snap.

hadareud

The Translator

I don't think that the end product will be all that different to be honest.

Pretty sure that you'll be able to upgrade.

Blackhead

Redarse
2014 - Surface Pro 3: You'll want to replace both your laptop and tablet with this!

2015 - Surface Mini: You'll want to add a tablet to bring along with your laptop device!

It's probably a blessing in disguise that the Mini is cancelled.

Or

2015 - XBOX (Tablet) Mini: Games, TV, Apps, all the Fun on the Go.
720p display

KageMaru

Are you sure? If I charge my phone via the car holder it's battery life is even worse, noticeably so.

I don't think it matters how a battery receives a charge. At least I haven't noticed any difference. Only difference I see is it takes longer when charging wirelessly.

I don't think that the end product will be all that different to be honest.

Pretty sure that you'll be able to upgrade.

The end product might not be, but Windows Phone 8 isn't "all that different" from Windows Phone 7 from the outside either, but it was a huge undertaking and that was "just" a kernel update. I imagine that merging two operating systems is an even bigger task and providing an upgrade path for less users than Windows Phone had back then is financially even less worthwhile.

BrumGB

The battery life on my Lumia 620 is pretty awful now with 8.1

Same, didn't think the battery life could get any worse tbh, maybe I'm just using my phone a lot more since the update :S

I'm finding the more frequent App crashes more frustrating than the battery life at the moment.

My battery life didn't seem to improve much after this latest patch, but disabling IE in the background seems to help a LOT--as in, a few more hours of life.

RM8

Update: My father loves my old Lumia 800 :p He's now seen checking his Facebook/texts/mail/etc. all the time like a person truly living in this century. Now, my mother is visiting and she kind of wants one too. The Lumia 620 would be a good choice, right? Seems pretty nice for such an unexpensive phone.

Also, this re-encounter with WP has reminded me of how it's such a great OS (I'm a lowly iPhone person now) and I'm actually looking forward to play around with the hypothetical Lumia 620 to see what it's like to have a non-7.5 phone :p I'm just hoping WP eventually makes a big comeback apps-wise, because it's still missing plenty of stuff (I promised my parents Whatsapp would come back soon, I hope that's true!).

hadareud

The Translator
The end product might not be, but Windows Phone 8 isn't "all that different" from Windows Phone 7 from the outside either, but it was a huge undertaking and that was "just" a kernel update. I imagine that merging two operating systems is an even bigger task and providing an upgrade path for less users than Windows Phone had back then is financially even less worthwhile.

Well a kernel change is pretty big. Huge.

I'm not ruling out that it could happen again (the not upgrade part, not the kernel change), but I would be pretty shocked if it did.

kharma45

Update: My father loves my old Lumia 800 :p He's now seen checking his Facebook/texts/mail/etc. all the time like a person truly living in this century. Now, my mother is visiting and she kind of wants one too. The Lumia 620 would be a good choice, right? Seems pretty nice for such an unexpensive phone.

Also, this re-encounter with WP has reminded me of how it's such a great OS (I'm a lowly iPhone person now) and I'm actually looking forward to play around with the hypothetical Lumia 620 to see what it's like to have a non-7.5 phone :p I'm just hoping WP eventually makes a big comeback apps-wise, because it's still missing plenty of stuff (I promised my parents Whatsapp would come back soon, I hope that's true!).

Depends on what she wants from a phone. If she doesn't need the FFC or a camera flash look at the 520 instead, should be a good bit cheaper.

Magni

I bought a 620 for my grandmother last year while I was still rocking an Omnia 7, it's an awesome phone for the price. I got it for 200€ last year, just got a 720 for my mom for the same price this month. How much are 620s these days?

edit: I used a 521 for two months earlier this year (won a free 820 at a WP event in March :D), the lack of FFC was a big deal (Skype, 6snap, etc), and the screen was noticeably worse than what I remembered of the 620's screen.

RM8

Ah, it's actually the 520 the one I was looking at! And yes, the screen is nothing impressive (especially compared to the old 800 in its OLED, Gorilla Glass glory) but I didn't find it too bad.

derFeef

Speaking of older Lumia's - if you really not care much about performance the 720 should be a better choice than the 820 regarding it has a larger battery, no?

n64coder

I bought a 620 for my grandmother last year while I was still rocking an Omnia 7, it's an awesome phone for the price. I got it for 200€ last year, just got a 720 for my mom for the same price this month. How much are 620s these days?

I think the 620 might be hard to find now. AIO (now Cricket) was carrying it but it was discountinued a couple of months ago in favor of the 420.

IE crashed my entire phone for the third time in two days. This is getting really annoying.

e: Fourth time now and basically two times in a row.

You guys really should invest in Qi plates, I have one on my desk at work and one on my desk at home, really works great.

Just got a second one the other day for my desk. I love wireless charging, amazing tech.

Its pretty much guaranteed that they have to use WP8 as the base in the future merging, right. I mean, Its WP8 which has all the apps, they won't seriously consider going to go back to zero again while they spend years trying to convince Instagram, ect to do a second port.

PG2G

Just got a second one the other day for my desk. I love wireless charging, amazing tech.

Its pretty much guaranteed that they have to use WP8 as the base in the future merging, right. I mean, Its WP8 which has all the apps, they won't seriously consider going to go back to zero again while they spend years trying to convince Instagram, ect to do a second port.

I think the goal is for Silverlight to die and everything to become universal apps. Apparently W8-style apps are 30% faster than Silverlight apps in 8.1 so the sooner they move away from that crap the better

MarkusRJR

I must misremember something I read and have daydreams or something then, haha.
Think you're confusing battery life with charge time. Charge time with wireless chargers is way longer. Doesn't really matter if it's always sitting down on it when not in use, but I remember a lot of buzz about the long charge times a few years ago.

New user of a used 620. How many times does it have to download and install updates? It's becoming comical. Actually, it's exactly like the experience I have with WIndows Update on the PC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom