• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3 Update 3| Please be excited

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mario007

Bah my battery life on 8.1 is still awful. Using Lumia 920. When I have my data turned and bluetooth turned on suddenly the battery evaporates. Just turning on the data does the job as well, but maybe half as fast.

derFeef

Girlfriend has the 630 in use for a few days now and the battery holds up pretty favorable against my 920. I know it's newer and all but I was impressed by how long it lasts, especially since she is playing around with it all the time :)

KageMaru

I have no faith in their marketing as up to now it hasn't been good especially up here in Canada. You go into an electronics or phone store and WP is nowhere to be seen and I don't think it's going to change with 8.1. My WP has been relegated to a Wi-Fi device at the moment and I don't even switch back and forth between my Nexus 5 and 8X anymore.

Yeah, I think marketing is MS biggest weakness. They need to be more aggressive to make up for the lack of mindshare of the other two platforms. MS has boasted how much they plan to spend marketing other products, it would be nice if they would push WP as hard.

This is what the 630/635 should should have been.

derFeef

I noticed a small arrow pointing to the upper left at the signal bars on the 630 a few times - I did not see that on any other phone. Anyone knows what that means?

I noticed a small arrow pointing to the upper left at the signal bars on the 630 a few times - I did not see that on any other phone. Anyone knows what that means?

Those ones in the system tray for WiFi and Cellular? I first noticed them come GDR3. Supposedly they mean data is currently being dealt with over the network. Up-Left arrow for upload Down-Right arrow for download.

derFeef

Those ones in the system tray for WiFi and Cellular? I first noticed them come GDR3. Supposedly they mean data is currently being dealt with over the network. Up-Left arrow for upload Down-Right arrow for download.

Ah, good to know. Not having that on my 920 for some reason. Weird - is it provider based?

Apple is doing pretty well so far

I really like the integration between the Mac and iPhone. Accepting calls on your Mac and texting back is such a small thing, in theory, but a really great idea. Interactive notifications in iOS is also long overdue on both platforms not called Android. Can't wait to see it on Windows Phone in 2015.

PG2G

I really like the integration between the Mac and iPhone. Accepting calls on your Mac and texting back is such a small thing, in theory, but a really great idea.

Yeah, awesome features that I hope make their way to Windows sooner rather than later. I'm not joining the closed Apple ecosystem lol

I really like the integration between the Mac and iPhone. Accepting calls on your Mac and texting back is such a small thing, in theory, but a really great idea. Interactive notifications in iOS is also long overdue on both platforms not called Android. Can't wait to see it on Windows Phone in 2015.
Still waiting on a messaging app for windows that allows me to send/receive my phone messages there. Really cool feature that Apple has.

Still waiting on a messaging app for windows that allows me to send/receive my phone messages there. Really cool feature that Apple has.

The Windows Phone alternative to iMassage was the Message hub, which combined texts and Facebook messages. The Facebook part was always available on PC. ;)

They do need more interoperability between the message app on Windows Phone and Windows 8.

Oh, wait. They killed the message app on Windows 8 in favor for Skype. So there you go, cross-platform messaging is already there.

The Windows Phone alternative to iMassage was the Message hub, which combined texts and Facebook messages. The Facebook part was always available on PC. ;)

They do need more interoperability between the message app on Windows Phone and Windows 8.

Oh, wait. They killed the message app on Windows 8 in favor for Skype. So there you go, cross-platform messaging is already there.
Used that app all the time. RIP

Updated. Pretty good performance jump on my 1020. Animations on the transitions are much better but there's still a slight stutter.

Nero3000

All this integration between the phone & mac is great. Picking up phone calls and sending SMS from any device through the phone. Presumably this is through bluetooth.

Stuff like this is what microsoft was toying with in Longhorn. Too bad they dropped those efforts. Hopefully something this powerful comes in Threshold.

Edit: Evidence (skip to 2:06)

On wpcentral they're saying that Quiet Hours has been unhooked from Cortana, and is available to everyone.

Edit: Looks like people were talking out of their rumps

hadareud

The Translator
Possibly. Though we've just had the second bug squashing update in a month today, so I'm hopeful that that's not all.

Right, but it remains to be seen what it brings to the table. Interactive notifications would be a good start.

Yep, a very good start.

Let's hope they use the GDR's to release the stuff that didn't quite make the main release, as they did last year.

Razdek

Banned

Went through the Apple stuff and there's a lot if things in there that MS should have already done and already have. They're doing integration and extensibility better than MS. But I agree that we'll see these same features in 2015 and will always be forever behind.

Ape

Banned
I like what Apple did today. Really can't complain about the iPhone, honestly. If Windows phone can crank out massive updates every year then that's fine, but we haven't seen that happen yet. It's been a very slow process on the update front with frequency and that's a serious issue for a mobile OS. 8.0 is supposed to change this... supposed to.

The hardware situation isn't helping either. Hopefully these things change. Hardware and software refreshes become constant and we are all a part of a content little community. But, then again we would lose half the fun of this thread. So maybe it shouldn't happen.

There's an interesting interview with Joe at BGR India.

He talks a lot about the stuff no one here wants to hear, like expanding into new markets, bringing volume to the platform and leaving WP7 users behind. But there's also some other good stuff. It's a good read.

http://www.bgr.in/news/bgr-india-interview-joe-belfiore-on-windows-phone-nokia-and-moto-e/

But at the same time they were also working on Android and just before jumping on the flight I saw an ad for the Nokia XL saying that now you can get Android apps. I have spoken to a lot of guys inside Nokia and the message is people were missing apps, so now we give them an option of Android apps. Doesn’t it undermine all the hard work that has gone from Microsoft as well as Nokia’s side to get the app story right?

I don’t think it undermines it because if you look at the X-series of phones, there are only three parts to that thing. One is, what is the user experience that people are going to encounter and learn as the basic user experience is similar to the Windows Phone. The second is the services it promotes. It is not promoting Google search, or GMS services and is instead promoting Microsoft’s services. The third part is as you mentioned the app platform. It is an unfortunate side effect that those phones don’t also run WP apps, but the fact that they run Android apps is a useful experiment in seeing how consumers react to a value proposition that has two things that are similar and one that is different. You mentioned an ad, and I go back to my first comment about how being one company will help us align with the messaging.

JaggedSac

Went through the Apple stuff and there's a lot if things in there that MS should have already done and already have. They're doing integration and extensibility better than MS. But I agree that we'll see these same features in 2015 and will always be forever behind.

Examples of integration and extensibility?

KageMaru

Just updated, hopefully I won't run into more issues in a few days.

Edit:

Well the delay between hitting the lock button and the screen finally turning on is still there on the Icon.

there will probably be something new that I think people will like.

Awesome, thanks for the heads up.

I like what Apple did today. Really can't complain about the iPhone, honestly. If Windows phone can crank out massive updates every year then that's fine, but we haven't seen that happen yet. It's been a very slow process on the update front with frequency and that's a serious issue for a mobile OS. 8.0 is supposed to change this... supposed to.

The hardware situation isn't helping either. Hopefully these things change. Hardware and software refreshes become constant and we are all a part of a content little community. But, then again we would lose half the fun of this thread. So maybe it shouldn't happen.

I think the rumor is the next major update should be around a year from now. Isn't threshold supposed to bring unification to the different Windows platforms?

hadareud

The Translator
There's an interesting interview with Joe at BGR India.

He talks a lot about the stuff no one here wants to hear, like expanding into new markets, bringing volume to the platform and leaving WP7 users behind. But there's also some other good stuff. It's a good read.

http://www.bgr.in/news/bgr-india-interview-joe-belfiore-on-windows-phone-nokia-and-moto-e/

But at the same time they were also working on Android and just before jumping on the flight I saw an ad for the Nokia XL saying that now you can get Android apps. I have spoken to a lot of guys inside Nokia and the message is people were missing apps, so now we give them an option of Android apps. Doesn’t it undermine all the hard work that has gone from Microsoft as well as Nokia’s side to get the app story right?

I don’t think it undermines it because if you look at the X-series of phones, there are only three parts to that thing. One is, what is the user experience that people are going to encounter and learn as the basic user experience is similar to the Windows Phone. The second is the services it promotes. It is not promoting Google search, or GMS services and is instead promoting Microsoft’s services. The third part is as you mentioned the app platform. It is an unfortunate side effect that those phones don’t also run WP apps, but the fact that they run Android apps is a useful experiment in seeing how consumers react to a value proposition that has two things that are similar and one that is different. You mentioned an ad, and I go back to my first comment about how being one company will help us align with the messaging.

Thanks for that, very interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom