• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3 Update 3| Please be excited

Status
Not open for further replies.

PG2G

I hope that now that Microsoft owns Nokia, all of their software will go to everyone unless it requires specific hardware/firmware support.

On the Xbox Music note, I have a problem where when I try and play streaming music through Cortana it says it can't because streaming music is off. Is there a setting I am missing? My cloud collection and everything works fine.

MCD

It's amazing how MS can get 45 major apps to Xbox One yet struggle with WP/W8 for years.

It's like Xbox is entirely ran by a different company.

hadareud

The Translator
Well, they used to be market-leader in the countries that matter and even now that they're utterly fucked according to the internets, they will still have a significant amount of market-share in those places.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
It's amazing how MS can get 45 major apps to Xbox One yet struggle with WP/W8 for years.

For the market and mind share that Windows phone has, the team has done a remarkable job with apps. They even had to pay for some of the big ones.

MCD

For the market and mind share that Windows phone has, the team has done a remarkable job with apps. They even had to pay for some of the big ones.

I'm content but no Google apps still stings. Yes, I know Metro/Whatever tube is better. Windows 8 app store though...what a disaster.

Microsoft's days are over.
Blackberry is coming back.

Q30.

AeBYLJY.jpg

For years, BlackBerry devices were famous for their excellent keyboards, and the company looks set to return to those roots to build on that reputation with this latest device. But this is no ordinary keyboard. According to N4BB, the physical keys incorporate capacitive touch support, so you can type on them like a normal hardware keyboard, but you can also move your fingers over them like a trackpad.

When in the web browser, you can swipe up and down on the keys to scroll through web pages; when typing an email or document, swiping across the keyboard from right to left allows you to delete words. The concept seems to be based on the idea that you won't have to move your fingers around the keyboard too much, or move your hands away from it to touch the screen more than you need to, allowing you to complete tasks that little bit more quickly.

. It will reportedly feature a quad-core Snapdragon 800 chipset, 3GB of RAM and an unusual 4-inch square LCD screen, featuring 1440x1440px resolution. It is also said to include a 13MP rear camera, with a 2MP cam up front, along with a 3450mAh battery.

KageMaru

Well a few days after the update and I ran into the "Loading..." screen again after unlocking my phone. This preview is getting incredibly frustrating.

I find it confusing how these companies handle development between the two platforms. WP has a much larger install base, should be easier to develop for, but we see companies more willing to develop for the more complex platform with the smaller install base.

hadareud

The Translator

Q30.

AeBYLJY.jpg

For years, BlackBerry devices were famous for their excellent keyboards, and the company looks set to return to those roots to build on that reputation with this latest device. But this is no ordinary keyboard. According to N4BB, the physical keys incorporate capacitive touch support, so you can type on them like a normal hardware keyboard, but you can also move your fingers over them like a trackpad.

When in the web browser, you can swipe up and down on the keys to scroll through web pages; when typing an email or document, swiping across the keyboard from right to left allows you to delete words. The concept seems to be based on the idea that you won't have to move your fingers around the keyboard too much, or move your hands away from it to touch the screen more than you need to, allowing you to complete tasks that little bit more quickly.

. It will reportedly feature a quad-core Snapdragon 800 chipset, 3GB of RAM and an unusual 4-inch square LCD screen, featuring 1440x1440px resolution. It is also said to include a 13MP rear camera, with a 2MP cam up front, along with a 3450mAh battery.

Awful.

I find it confusing how these companies handle development between the two platforms. WP has a much larger install base, should be easier to develop for, but we see companies more willing to develop for the more complex platform with the smaller install base.
Probably because Xbox is a dedicated media/entertainment platform. HBO can assume that a larger portion of the Xbox user base is going to use their app than if they made a WP one.

JaggedSac

They are paying(at least offering) for a LOT of apps. Not just big ones.

They are creating an app for the company I work for as we speak. Should be out it a couple months. You probably wont care though, lol.

f0lken

Vine on Xbox before Windows 8 makes no sense.

I think it makes perfect sense, with kinect and the "Xbox record that" command it would be a fine way to share quick gameplay videos, on a PC is much less needed except for visualization which canbe done on the browser, and for other vines the smartphone is the perfect device

MCD

definitely meeting with the Nokia Storyteller UX/Design guy tomorrow morning. Not sure if he does any other Nokia apps as well

my life is boring so I never used any memo or story apps or whatever but perhaps you could ask him if there plans to bring this and other Nokia apps to Xbox.

cinemagraph might do well with Kinect.

definitely meeting with the Nokia Storyteller UX/Design guy tomorrow morning. Not sure if he does any other Nokia apps as well

Are the guys that made those apps part of the team that Microsoft got in the acquisition, or are they still part of Nokia? Because I know that the Maps team stays with Nokia, just not sure about the other ones.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.

I tried using the app but I didn't like the UI. It does a good job of grouping pictures by location, but doing anything beyond that, like moving stuff around or re-grouping photos or actually telling a story through slides and text (which is what I thought it would do easily), was too confusing. I didn't use it for long, it seemed pretty shallow.

• Connect with FB/Flickr/OneDrive
  • Create Custom Slideshow/Picture books with captions
  • Share/Export Custom Slideshow/Picture books with family through URL (like cinemagraph did?) or by making a Facebook Album with the pictures/captions

^these were three of the things I was thinking of....

PG2G

My phone has crashed twice since the last update when using the keyboard for texting, lol. Didn't happen pre-update :/

I am still waiting for HBO Go and Xfinity apps for Xbox One. Either that they really need to make full interface for the cable box replacement as is, it's pretty useless without ability to access on Demand feature without having to use the cable box remote.

MarkusRJR

Q30.

AeBYLJY.jpg

That design tho...

As a former BB user (who still likes the brand), that phone is ugly. Looks super uncomfortable too. Make it have rounded edges (think Bold 9900), bring back the usual BB keyboard layout, give it an 801 chipset (for the battery life) and I'd probably be in.

I still wish BB just went android or WP. Their flagship hardware always feels so nice.

So my Nokia Lumia 1020 just bloated up and burned on me. The charging dock is bloated out, and crispy black, and the whole device smells like smoke.

Just contacted Nokia and am shipping them my phone, anyone know how good Nokia is with fixing devices when they're under warranty? I honestly hope they don't look at my phone, see a cracked screen, and assume the battery leaking/whatever was my fault. :p

Anyways... shame. Now I have to use an iPhone 5s until my Phone is back. :(

Herr K

Banned
So my Nokia Lumia 1020 just bloated up and burned on me. The charging dock is bloated out, and crispy black, and the whole device smells like smoke.

Just contacted Nokia and am shipping them my phone, anyone know how good Nokia is with fixing devices when they're under warranty? I honestly hope they don't look at my phone, see a cracked screen, and assume the battery leaking/whatever was my fault. :p

Anyways... shame. Now I have to use an iPhone 5s until my Phone is back. :(

They'll most likely give you a new one. Don't worry.

hadareud

The Translator
Aha, really? What am I doing wrong then?

I just tried with Weave - sync Microsoft account - I get the prompt again. Ugh...

For MS apps apart from Skype it works.

I'd imagine that for 3rd party apps the apps themselves will have to updated first.

Speaking of Weave, it's become so much worse since the update a few months ago.

derFeef

Yeah I don't like it at all :/
And I start to dislike NextGenReader too - it's a bit cumbersome sometimes.
How is Fuse these days?

hadareud

The Translator
I too was hoping for an 82 mp 1030, preferably prominently displayed on the camera hump.

Alternatively I'll accept if there's significant improvements to the quality of the camera without more mps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom