• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3 Update 3| Please be excited

Status
Not open for further replies.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Shouldn't a game like modern combat run better on the 1520 with the s800 chip than other windows phones? It runs choppy. I thought it was because I installed it on the SD card, but it team just as bad on the internal memory.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I'm afraid I'm at the brink of moving on.

I love Windows Phone's crazy easy interface and Nokia's phones (RIP), but I just can't get over the monumental lack of good games. It's just pathetic. Meanwhile the new G3 seems like the hottest shit and it's not half bad looking.

I guess I managed to make one criteria for smartphone purchases irrelevant for me since I prefer playing games on a 3DS or my laptop.

Sometimes I do still miss the appyness of Android, though. Maybe a Nokia XL Dual-SIM will help.

kharma45

I'm afraid I'm at the brink of moving on.

I love Windows Phone's crazy easy interface and Nokia's phones (RIP), but I just can't get over the monumental lack of good games. It's just pathetic. Meanwhile the new G3 seems like the hottest shit and it's not half bad looking.

Yeah I'm looking to move on now too I think. Shame, I love the platform but it's taking too long to get anywhere.

MCD

But guys

GUYS!

IT'S COMING

WE JUST HAVE TO RELEASE WP8.1 AND EVERYONE WILL START CODING WE SWEAR THIS TIME

I'm glad I'm not a big player of mobile games.

Yeah. I think they aren't exactly something that can hold onto my attention compared to 3DS or PC games these days... To be honest, smartphone games either have to be really simple or end up being... uh... less than optimal in terms of playability. Lack of proper controls hurt a lot.

kharma45

Flowers any idea what this last OS update did? 8.10.12397.895

Even though I know you can't say

"This update enables some newly commercialized devices and tweaks a couple of new APIs, so you won’t see a difference on your device, but we encourage everyone who’s on the Preview for Developers to stay current on the latest build."

catmincer

Shouldn't a game like modern combat run better on the 1520 with the s800 chip than other windows phones? It runs choppy. I thought it was because I installed it on the SD card, but it team just as bad on the internal memory.

I'm 100% sure it's because we're on generic firmware. Jetpack Joyride is choppy too but it wasn't on 8.0. I reckon the Cyan update will fix it.

So, is the Nokia Lumia 520 still good for apps and games? I wanted to buy one to use as a music player and for some apps.

I don't have a smartphone and plan to not activate for cellphone service.

maeh2k

So, is the Nokia Lumia 520 still good for apps and games? I wanted to buy one to use as a music player and for some apps.

I don't have a smartphone and plan to not activate for cellphone service.

No Windows Phone is good for apps and games. Whether I'd recommend the 520 depends its price. With new phones like the Lumia 630 or the (Android) Moto E arriving at entry-level prices, I'm not sure I'd still buy a 520.

No Windows Phone is good for apps and games. Whether I'd recommend the 520 depends its price. With new phones like the Lumia 630 or the (Android) Moto E arriving at entry-level prices, I'm not sure I'd still buy a 520.

I didn't mean selection wise. I just kinda meant that if I buy the 520 do I have to worry about apps and games not running or running poorly. The 520 is like $50 on Amazon as a prepaid go-phone with AT&T. Is that a decent price? Like I said, I won't be activating it. Just music and wifi, basically as an alternative to a much more expensive iPod Touch.

However I didn't know about this 630. I will check it out.

maeh2k

I didn't mean selection wise. I just kinda meant that if I buy the 520 do I have to worry about apps and games not running or running poorly. The 520 is like $50 on Amazon as a prepaid go-phone with AT&T. Is that a decent price? Like I said, I won't be activating it. Just music and wifi, basically as an alternative to a much more expensive iPod Touch.

However I didn't know about this 630. I will check it out.

For $50 I'd definitely buy one. In Europe lots of places still sell it for around 100 Euros.

MarkusRJR

Just looked on the Windows Phone website for Canada, and they only list one phone as being available via carriers (Lumia 625). So depressing. Basically the WP platform is finally dead in Canada? The last flagship WP8 device was the 1020, and before that was the first WP8 devices.

Kind of depressing.

Sordid

Excellent. This is exactly what I plan to do.

Just be aware that the music app on 8.1 rearranges/renames/combines/splits albums at will as soon as you connect to a wifi network. It also replaces album art. There is no option to turn this off afaik. It's also super slow compared to 8.0.

If you update your mp3 phone to 8.1 use Nokia MixRadio to play your local files, it doesn't alter your collection at all (and it's faster!)

Edit: Music Hub Tile uses the old music hub from WP8.0 and it has settings to stop it from altering your music files so that works fine in 8.1 too

Just be aware that the music app on 8.1 rearranges/renames/combines/splits albums at will as soon as you connect to a wifi network. It also replaces album art. There is no option to turn this off afaik. It's also super slow compared to 8.0.

If you update your mp3 phone to 8.1 use Nokia MixRadio to play your local files, it doesn't alter your collection at all (and it's faster!)

Edit: Music Hub Tile uses the old music hub from WP8.0 and it has settings to stop it from altering your music files so that works fine in 8.1 too

Hmm, so is 8.1 an important update? Could I just stick with 8.0 for a while?

8.1 is in developer preview. The music app has been completely rewritten.

Now that I'm on 8.1, I'd never go back to 8.0...but that is for my main phone. If I'm using it as an MP3 player, I'd stick with 8.0 for a little while until some of the things about 8.1's music app have been fixed. It's much better than it was initially, but not quite there (I've never had any music metadata issues like others). Perf is improving with every update, and the team is aiming to update every other week.

The 8.1 OS update isn't necessary at all for the 520. I wouldn't suggest using the workaround to get the old music hub...though

Sordid

Stick with 8.0 until they improve the 8.1 music app, you won't be missing much if you only use it for music.

http://www.wpcentral.com/sneak-peek-one-music-windows-phone

Not out yet but might do the job in place of Xbox Music.

'One Music is an app to watch if you're looking for a fast, clean alternative to the Xbox Music app'... sounds good!

I wouldn't suggest using the workaround to get the old music hub...though

Are you guys going to block the workaround for the final 8.1 release?

I love it, but I'm biased.

It's a tad too big for my hands, but I've got tiny hands. The camera is much better than the 928. The living images workaround is awesome! Integration with Nokia storyteller will be magical.
Build quality is better than 928. Not quite the solid feel of the 920, but the ring band around the side feels nice. The screen is dead gorgeous.

KageMaru

Seeing as I'm planning to get the Nokia Lumia 930, I was wondering if anyone here already owns a Lumia Icon, and what are their opinions on it.

I love it. Even though there has been talk here about the 930/Icon starting to become a bit dated in face of the recent Android flagships, I don't feel that way at all. I can't say enough great things about the build quality, screen, picture quality, and near perfect size. Nokia just needs to update the firmware for video recording, it has a graininess that never existed on my 928.

TBH I've been experiencing constant issues with my Icon ever since I updated to 8.1, but I would expect the issues to be ironed out for the 930's release.

Speaking of which, when 8.1 and cyan are finished for the 930, wouldn't that mean those updates would be ready to roll out to Icon users? Can we at least hope for a sooner release that what I would expect for other phones like the 928, 920, 520, etc?

I love it, but I'm biased.

It's a tad too big for my hands, but I've got tiny hands. The camera is much better than the 928. The living images workaround is awesome! Integration with Nokia storyteller will be magical.
Build quality is better than 928. Not quite the solid feel of the 920, but the ring band around the side feels nice. The screen is dead gorgeous.

Out of curiosity, what's the display like? Does it has any "AMOLED graininess" (like I saw back when it was the days of WP7.x and 900) or faint lines at low brightness?

I love it. Even though there has been talk here about the 930/Icon starting to become a bit dated in face of the recent Android flagships, I don't feel that way at all. I can't say enough great things about the build quality, screen, picture quality, and near perfect size. Nokia just needs to update the firmware for video recording, it has a graininess that never existed on my 928.

Heh. Sounds like the 930 should be right for me.

I think I'll stick with black, as I find orange and green just way too tacky, and white boring.

Tried out a few video editing apps on phone and the video editing app by Nokia on my 2520; they all suck compared to MS's movie maker included free in MS Essentials with full Windows. This is the only reason I keep my laptop around.

kharma45

Saw a date today of July 3 for the 930 in Ireland. Wonder how that'll translate for the UK.

Why this phone is taking so long to release is beyond me. Fucking idiots. I doubt demand is outstripping supply with the Icon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom