• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3 Update 3| Please be excited

Status
Not open for further replies.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
They've always had good battery life, cameras, and the best ecosystem. The only way they've stepped up is screen size?

The iPhone's battery and camera performance have always been exaggerated by the tech press. Just wait until this fall and drown in the hyperbole when Apple unveils the 6.

With a screen size that's actually more desirable, the room for a bigger camera/battery and the best mobile ecosystem on the planet....they will likely be the ones to beat this year.

I think I can at least wait until McLaren is announced with my 1520 before I have to decide.

Well look like LG G3 is out of the running for my next phone as they take wireless charging out of the phone for US version. Not sure why may be cost and urging by carrier like AT&T?

I might have no choice but wait for 1030 but I have a feeling Qi wireless charging will be removed since Microsoft decide to back the other "standard".

Well look like LG G3 is out of the running for my next phone as they take wireless charging out of the phone for US version. Not sure why may be cost and urging by carrier like AT&T?

I might have no choice but wait for 1030 but I have a feeling Qi wireless charging will be removed since Microsoft decide to back the other "standard".

They also back Qi. being on board multiple formats before a standard is decided is normal.

strata8

So I bought a Lumia 625 as an interim phone until the high-end 8.1 devices come out, and I've been looking for some way to protect the screen.

Seriously, it's the dumbest shit ever. You'd think with the interchangeable back cover there'd be one that integrates a screen cover, especially considering the entire left side is devoid of buttons. But nope.

I mean, seriously what?

$_12.JPG

Why do I need a extra cover for my cover? What's even the point?

Joe confirmed that the custom lockscreen is a feature for 1 GB devices only for the foreseeable future. Makes me feel bad for my GF who's going to buy a 630 soon.

In other news, Xbox Music was updated and supports the transparent live tile now. Progress!

they're shooting out updates at a very quick pace. I know you guys joke that they're French interns, but there's certainly a group of people in Seattle (I interned with one of the PMs who's on the team). It seems they're intent on updating frequently.

they're shooting out updates at a very quick pace. I know you guys joke that they're French interns, but there's certainly a group of people in Seattle (I interned with one of the PMs who's on the team). It seems they're intent on updating frequently.

Considering the current state of the app, they don't really have a choice.

Is anyone else having random unstableness with their 8X using 8.1? It wasn't anywhere close to this bad for me when I first started using it.

Now I get:

- Loading screens, A LOT, and occasionally it will kick me out of the app entirely.
- I go to use the notifications bar and not only will it not come down, but the entire screen (and capacitive buttons) locks on me. I can't even turn off the screen. This will either take a few minutes to clear, or I just end up resetting my phone.

It has gotten to the point where I am not looking forward to using my phone. It has always been snappy and fun to zoom around this UI, but I'm half afraid that the next time I attempt to use it, instead it will lock up somehow and I'll have to reset it. I really have no idea what is happening.

The verge has been much more apple centric lately, even compared to their usual apple-loving selves. Random "Intel could make new fanless chips" articles are turned into "apple could make a fanless MacBook air now, if they want to" articles.
It has gotten on my nerves lately

hwalker84

Sharing from the photo app

"Your update could not be posted at this time"

Going directly to Facebook and Facebook beta

Shut down multiple times

Soft reset

WIFI On/Off

I'm about to smash this phone of the wall

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Sharing from the photo app

Going directly to Facebook and Facebook beta

Shut down multiple times

Soft reset

WIFI On/Off

I'm about to smash this phone of the wall

Very annoying, but it's the app, not the phone. I get those errors when I'm in low connectivity situations mostly. Sometimes I get no errors only to realize my picture never posted. The Facebook app, arguably the most important app of any platform, is garbage on WP.

My wife told me today that she misses her 1520, but she couldn't go back to our Facebook app after using the Android app. And it's not like that version is perfect, either. And its still way better than what we have.

I'm gonna repost this. It is still happening and it is still annoying.

Is anyone else having random unstableness with their 8X using 8.1? It wasn't anywhere close to this bad for me when I first started using it.

Now I get:

- Loading screens, A LOT, and occasionally it will kick me out of the app entirely.
- I go to use the notifications bar and not only will it not come down, but the entire screen (and capacitive buttons) locks on me. I can't even turn off the screen. This will either take a few minutes to clear, or I just end up resetting my phone.

It has gotten to the point where I am not looking forward to using my phone. It has always been snappy and fun to zoom around this UI, but I'm half afraid that the next time I attempt to use it, instead it will lock up somehow and I'll have to reset it. I really have no idea what is happening.

Skype for the iPhone gets a big update, including the full Metro UI from the Windows Phone version and works even better than on Windows Phone.

Previous versions of Skype for iPhone have kept largely inline with the look and feel of iOS apps, but Skype 5.0 is identical to its Windows Phone equivalent. There’s panning to reach people, recent, and favorites sections, and the chat and phone icons replace the old section buttons at the bottom of the app.

The most surprising addition is the use of the three dots menu that Microsoft includes in its Metro-style applications to note there are extra options. With all these new user interface changes in place, Microsoft’s Skype iOS app appears to have leapfrogged the Windows Phone version. Subtle animations, smooth scrolling, and a parallax effect all add up to an iPhone Skype experience that feels superior to its Windows Phone equivalent, despite looking identical. Windows Phone users have persistently requested a better Skype experience for a platform Microsoft calls its own, and these latest changes might provide hope for an improved Windows Phone app that’s features and design are aligned with iOS.

http://www.theverge.com/2014/6/12/5803002/skype-5-0-iphone-app-features

Nero3000

The verge has been much more apple centric lately, even compared to their usual apple-loving selves. Random "Intel could make new fanless chips" articles are turned into "apple could make a fanless MacBook air now, if they want to" articles.
It has gotten on my nerves lately

Yep. I don't think they cover PC stuff anymore. Everything article out of computex (a heavy PC event) was Android or Apple based. I don't think they covered a single windows based PC out of that conference.

What ever makes them money I suppose. I long since unfollowed them, and engadget/wpcentral has taken over as my go to sites.

"Other phone cameras may have bigger sensors or more megapixels, but the iPhone's combination of reliable image processing, speedy performance, and vast selection of editing apps have made it the choice of countless photographers — and it's a big reason why This Is My Next considers the iPhone 5S the best smartphone to buy. There's no better illustration of this than the annual iPhone Photography Awards (IPPAWARDS), and the winners for 2014 have just been announced."

So it's not actually really any better.

I don't understand. Is Warren lying now?

"Other phone cameras may have bigger sensors or more megapixels, but the iPhone's combination of reliable image processing, speedy performance, and vast selection of editing apps have made it the choice of countless photographers — and it's a big reason why This Is My Next considers the iPhone 5S the best smartphone to buy. There's no better illustration of this than the annual iPhone Photography Awards (IPPAWARDS), and the winners for 2014 have just been announced."

I agree. The overall package of the iPhone camera experience is still miles ahead. Like I said in the Android thread yesterday, by the time you take one picture with the Lumia 1020, the iPhone takes three really good ones. Not to mention features like HDR or high-speed recording, which isn't available on the Lumia phones. And then there are thousand ways to capture and edit photos on the iPhone. It might really be the perfect Point and Shoot replacement for the regular user.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I agree. The overall package of the iPhone camera experience is still miles ahead. Like I said in the Android thread yesterday, by the time you take one picture with the Lumia 1020, the iPhone takes three really good ones. Not to mention features like HDR or high-speed recording, which isn't available on the Lumia phones. And then there are thousand ways to capture and edit photos on the iPhone. It might really be the perfect Point and Shoot replacement for the regular user.

But what you responded to yesterday, which I also quoted in this thread, had nothing to do with shot to shot speed or editing apps. It said the iPhone took better pictures, and that is just not true.

hadareud

The Translator
I don't understand. Is Warren lying now?

According to him it's identical but with slightly smoother scrolling and new animations.

So it's better. But not really any better.

Like I said in the Android thread yesterday, by the time you take one picture with the Lumia 1020, the iPhone takes three really good ones. .

Is that actually true?

From what point? When both phones are locked?

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Is that actually true?

From what point? When both phones are locked?

I think the problem is shot to shot times when you are using the default mode on the big megapixel Lumia phones like the 1020 and 1520. Of course, you can change the shooting modes and take smaller pictures very quickly on the Lumias, but the iPhone, new galaxy, and new HTC take photos ridiculously fast.

The outrageous claim is that the quality of the iPhone pictures are something no other cellphone can reproduce. That's absurd, the 1020 takes better pictures, full stop. People who argue that point are trolling.

Edit: I'm looking at those iPhone photo awards and most of those pics are mediocre and lack detail. Every one of those photos would be better if taken with a 1020.

hadareud

The Translator
I agree.

I wasn't arguing that the camera wasn't far too slow (even to open, but particularly between shots), but I'm not convinced of Brot's 3 to 1 claim.

As for the picture quality, there's no comparison to what you can achieve with a 1020 to any other phone. To suggest otherwise is beyond silly.

As for taking better pictures with automatic settings? The 1020 still wins.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom