• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3 Update 3| Please be excited

Status
Not open for further replies.

hadareud

The Translator
Do you honestly think that HTC don't care about another company taking sales away from them?

Both Nokia and Sony are already outselling them as it is, they won't care about Nokia anymore now that they're Microsoft, but they will definitely care about a new OEM jumping aboard a ship that is currently growing quite quickly.

Your particular brand of realism doesn't take reality into account.

Tomcat

You'll either love it, make do or hate it, it says a lot the number of guys here who went android and came back though..

from my experience most people who go windows phone never go back to android. the problem is to convince them to try the os. and the 520 has been a success on that front because of the price.

catmincer

I'd love a Sony Windows phone. I have an Xperia Z at the moment and it's alright. But I love I can use it in the shower. If the Sony WP was waterproof then I'd be all over that.

Razdek

Banned
I question whether or not security is a concern for companies moving from blackberry to Android. That was the main concern for the company I work for. Even though I've pushed that we move to WP, it looks like we're moving to iPhones because more people are familiar with that platform. =/

We're primarily a Microsoft shop at our company and even though WP would be the best option for us to replace our Blackberries we're not even considering it as we're looking at iPhone and Android devices. Our sample survey indicated that this is what our users want and this is what we're going to give them.

toff74

Sorry to barge in.. But is there a way you can upload photosynth gif files to Facebook?

its nye and with that there's a huge opportunity for embarrassing stuff..

Zeknurn

I think the headphone jack on my 920 is busted as it thinks my headphones are connected when they are not. If only the industry would move past this piece of shit connector to something more durable.

Razdek

Banned
Good article from Thurrott on Microsoft's problem with Windows (that also applies to Windows Phone): http://windowsitpro.com/windows/facing-biggest-problem-windows-2014

I mostly agree with the article. I just don't think there's anything Microsoft can do about it. 2014 won't be a pivotal year for Windows. They've already lost.

Just read this and I agree with the article as well. MS has lot of challenges for 2014 but I think they can do good things for WP and Xbox One but for the rest of their products I'm not sure.

PG2G

I think the headphone jack on my 920 is busted as it thinks my headphones are connected when they are not. If only the industry would move past this piece of shit connector to something more durable.

Might just want to clean it out and make sure there is nothing stuck down there.

Think they copy a lot of that stuff from Mary Jo Foley

Zeknurn

Might just want to clean it out and make sure there is nothing stuck down there.

Think they copy a lot of that stuff from Mary Jo Foley

Yeah I tried cleaning out any possible pocket-lint at the bottom and I did the volume+power button reset but without any luck.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I know some people here also own surface rt's.....mine is going crazy right now. Can't log in anywhere, hotmail seems to be down. Very weird that these issues haven't affected the phone, but it shows just how vulnerable these connected devices are.

Anybody else have issues with their surface?

KageMaru

Happy new year everyone!

Do you honestly think that HTC don't care about another company taking sales away from them?

Both Nokia and Sony are already outselling them as it is, they won't care about Nokia anymore now that they're Microsoft, but they will definitely care about a new OEM jumping aboard a ship that is currently growing quite quickly.

Your particular brand of realism doesn't take reality into account.

I just think most companies are less concerned about getting a piece of the pie when the pie is rather small. Sounds logical in my head.

We're primarily a Microsoft shop at our company and even though WP would be the best option for us to replace our Blackberries we're not even considering it as we're looking at iPhone and Android devices. Our sample survey indicated that this is what our users want and this is what we're going to give them.

Yup, same situation at my company but we won't consider Android due to security concerns. We're probably going iPhones because the techs are more familiar with the OS. End users would pretty much use what we gave them.

hadareud

The Translator
I just think most companies are less concerned about getting a piece of the pie when the pie is rather small. Sounds logical in my head.

Sure, but if the pie has tripled in size over the last 12 months and one of your competitors is about to grow it further, you might think twice about the situation.

kharma45

Well, I knew it was going to be big...

Bc00N9HIAAAvUr9.jpg:large

Happy New Year.

My brother want to buy a new smarthphone this year, he is between 1020 and 1520 or wait the new devices Lumia or price drop of Note 3.
What do you think about it?

I know some people here also own surface rt's.....mine is going crazy right now. Can't log in anywhere, hotmail seems to be down. Very weird that these issues haven't affected the phone, but it shows just how vulnerable these connected devices are.

Anybody else have issues with their surface?
Smartglass on Xbox One is not working for me.

Is a Samsung ATIV S at USD300 equivalent a good value with regard to upgrading from a Lumia 900? I'm also still waiting to see if the 1320 is priced to sell.

kharma45

That extra column of medium tiles just doesn't do it for me.

I still don't know what to make of them. Before I saw the phone in real life I detested it but playing around a bit and swapping tiles around I could probably make it work for me.

My main issue with the 1520 was the size of the text everywhere, it's fucking massive. The OS hasn't really been scaled well in that regard, could do with stuff being smaller and fitting more in.

MCD

I've yet to see any proof that people want devices like that. Are there any sales numbers from the HTC One Max or Xperia Z Ultra?

A friend of mine want it due to two reasons:

1- A battery that can last for a day without carrying an external battery or a silly bag.

2- One device for everything on the go. No more tablet + phone to carry around.

frontieruk

A friend of mine want it due to two reasons:

1- A battery that can last for a day without carrying an external battery or a silly bag.

2- One device for everything on the go. No more tablet + phone to carry around.

Except that extra battery is used to power that stupidly large screen, the notes don't get better battery life than any other android device.

This one device to rule them all really needs to be dropped, every device has compromises made, these compromises will always be determined by power.

Except that extra battery is used to power that stupidly large screen, the notes don't get better battery life than any other android device.

This one device to rule them all really needs to be dropped, every device has compromises made, these compromises will always be determined by power.

Of course they do. They get fantastic battery life. The 1520 is supposed to be even better.

The battery size increase overcompensates :)

frontieruk

Of course they do. They get fantastic battery life. The 1520 is supposed to be even better.

You and I will have to disagree then, I don't see how getting a day out of the battery on a note as most reviews conclude they managed with normal usage is any different to any other smartphone but perhaps I'm missing something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom