• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3 Update 3| Please be excited

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Quick question: My phone has a hard time reconnecting to my home wifi. It searches and searches and never connects. If I restart the router , it'll connect. But this is annoying and weird. If I connect it'll stay fine for most of the time until I sleep the phone again and it has to reconnect.

Any advice ?

edit: ok haha right after I type this on my computer I try to connect to the home WiFi and it connects on the first try on my phone... Its just so spotty. Maybe too many devices are trying to or are connected to my WiFi?

Edit2: and it can't connect again. Oh well, question though. Does it eat battery to leave cellular data, wifi data, or location on? Or does it only use battery to actually use data and location ?

I still don't know what to make of them. Before I saw the phone in real life I detested it but playing around a bit and swapping tiles around I could probably make it work for me.

My main issue with the 1520 was the size of the text everywhere, it's fucking massive. The OS hasn't really been scaled well in that regard, could do with stuff being smaller and fitting more in.
the Note's multitasking and stylus abilities almost makes owning the 1520 silly. it's a glorious thing to be able to watch a YouTube video while handwriting notes on the same screen.

kharma45

the Note's multitasking and stylus abilities almost makes owning the 1520 silly. it's a glorious thing to be able to watch a YouTube video while handwriting notes on the same screen.

Yeah WP seems quite limited at this screen size, which is why I'd want a 5" version of it instead to come worldwide. Only Samsung have managed to get phablets right so far.

You and I will have to disagree then, I don't see how getting a day out of the battery on a note as most reviews conclude they managed with normal usage is any different to any other smartphone but perhaps I'm missing something.
You're missing the 'and a half' or the 'or two' after the part you read. Most reviews conclude that the battery life is better on the Note.

Pachimari

Okay, I wanna know before deciding to pull the plug.

Is the Nokia Lumia 520 a good Windows Phone 8 phone in the long run?

I have an iPhone 5 already, but is gonna use the Nokia for work-related contacts and will use it for apps like Messaging, Viber, Skype (not video calls), Mail, Calls, Facebook, Twitter and such.

I just really love how smooth Windows Phone seems but does that stay true with many apps installed?

I have an iPhone 5 already, but is gonna use the Nokia for work-related contacts and will use it for apps like Messaging, Viber, Skype (not video calls), Mail, Calls, Facebook, Twitter and such.

I just really love how smooth Windows Phone seems but does that stay true with many apps installed?
It'll be fine. Currently at 100+ Apps and my phones doing just fine.

kurbaan

Banned

In terms of number of apps installed it won't affect the smoothness. As for being a good phone in the long run, its a low end windows phone but it should get updated to the next major update (all WP8 phones are supposed to get it).

hwalker84

You mean pull the trigger?

looks like you need a new unit. Don't put up with that crappy refurb.

Took the suggestion and went to Tmo today, the rep saw the scratching, put in for another phone, noted it in the system and had me call customer care to waive the 5 buck processing, which they did with no probs.

If Softbank does manage to acquire Tmo from DT, I hope the build out the network and expand coverage all while leaving the plans like JUMP! intact.

8 years with Tmo and I feel like customer service has improved drastically over what it used to be.

So I got a Lumia 820 today. Am I missing something or is Update 3 not available for it yet? It just strikes me as odd as my old shitty HTC 8S already had it a month ago. I thought Nokia was the favourite child. What's going on?

monome

hey,

I have problems moving podcasts to my lumia 520. I bought a 64go microsdxc card but during the transfer process something occurs and 99% of podcasts don't get copied.

I tried to copy my music directly from imac to sd card, it works but

1/ podcasts are recognized as music and don't go in the appropriate folder
2/ some podcasts are .m4a and are recognized as videos (that don't play). same podcasts that managed to be transfered through usb are playable and recognized as podcasts.

anybody had the same issues? is there a an alternative music player that would recognize and arrange properly (music/podacasts) all the music on the sd card?

MCD

So I got a Lumia 820 today. Am I missing something or is Update 3 not available for it yet? It just strikes me as odd as my old shitty HTC 8S already had it a month ago. I thought Nokia was the favourite child. What's going on?

Delayed to sometime this month because Nokia gonna include some other shit called Nokia Black Update.

delirium

Does anyone know the best Windows Phone I can get for Tmobile right now? It looks like either the Lumia 928 or get a Roger's 1020 that will work on their network.

It really depends on what you value more.

The 1020 has an insanely good camera, but at the detriment of larger size.

The 925 is much sleeker, but still has a pretty good camera.

I'm not fully up-to-date on the wireless charging within both of the devices, perhaps there is a difference there.

I'd probably end up personally going with the 925 simply because of the smaller size and because I would feel impotent with the massive capabilities of the 1020's camera. But, alas, never would I have to face these troubling questions as a Verizon user. Wireless charging would also be a determining factor. Not sure I'd buy a phone without it anymore.

(and I get to play with them all anyways, at least eventually)

maeh2k

It really depends on what you value more.

The 1020 has an insanely good camera, but at the detriment of larger size.

The 925 is much sleeker, but still has a pretty good camera.

I'm not fully up-to-date on the wireless charging within both of the devices, perhaps there is a difference there.

I'd probably end up personally going with the 925 simply because of the smaller size and because I would feel impotent with the massive capabilities of the 1020's camera. But, alas, never would I have to face these troubling questions as a Verizon user. Wireless charging would also be a determining factor. Not sure I'd buy a phone without it anymore.

(and I get to play with them all anyways, at least eventually)

Do any of the Lumias after the 920 even have built-in wireless charging? Don't the 925 and the 1020 use those hideous charging shells?

maeh2k

With the 920 it seemed as if Nokia really wanted to push and popularize wireless charging. Now? Not so much. They relegated it to the enthusiast market; to people who'd be willing to spend money on overpriced charging covers and overpriced chargers.
If I look at Nokia's official German store, the charging cover for the 1020 is 40 Euros and the charging pillow is 100 Euros. No one's going to buy that. No one.

With the 920 it seemed as if Nokia really wanted to push and popularize wireless charging. Now? Not so much. They relegated it to the enthusiast market; to people who'd be willing to spend money on overpriced charging covers and overpriced chargers.
If I look at Nokia's official German store, the charging cover for the 1020 is 40 Euros and the charging pillow is 100 Euros. No one's going to buy that. No one.

I'm glad we have Google who continues to put Qi wireless charging into their phones.

Does anyone know the best Windows Phone I can get for Tmobile right now? It looks like either the Lumia 928 or get a Roger's 1020 that will work on their network.

I own a 925 with T-Mo, and love it! It's a very striking phone with a look of sophistication and it gets compliments all the time! The metal chassis also seconds as an FM antenna if you choose to listen to local radio rather than stream.

If you are a heavy photography enthusiast, go with the 1020; it is a larger phone than 925, though.

925 still has a Pure View lens, and the Camera app gives many fine-tuning options to still take incredible shots (IIRC, 8.7MP rear, 2MP front).

The 928 is a Verizon phone.

Karish

You guys might think I'm crazy, but I'm switching from Lumia 928 to HTC 8X. I prefer a smaller profile phone.

this_guy

You guys might think I'm crazy, but I'm switching from Lumia 928 to HTC 8X. I prefer a smaller profile phone.

I have a Nokia 925 and use the HTC 8X as a backup phone. The 8X really does have a great form factor plus it's already on update 3. (But the 925 has a much better camera)

So, walked in to the Microsoft Store today and walked out with a 1520 for just $50, and I didn't even have to use an upgrade or extend my contract. All I had to do was have a fourth (maybe fifth? I lost track...) 920 crap out on me. This time for some reason no matter what kind of reception I was getting no one on the other end of a call could make out a damn thing I was saying. It was an incredibly frustrating couple of weeks before I could bring my final 920 in to the store to get it looked at. But hey, new hotness.

So, I guess I am a phablet user now. I have immediately adjusted to the larger screen size, and just like my 920 made my old iPhone 4 feel like a tiny child's toy, this monster is going to make it hard to go back to something the size of the 920. I don't care about pen input or multitasking or anything like that, I am big and this phone fits me. Fits in my jeans pocket fine, aligns perfectly from my ear to my mouth when talking, don't even really have to reach much to get to the corners when using it one handed. And if I use two hands I have more room and typing is probably faster than on the 920. The extra columns just look like ass, though. I didn't like it in pictures, and it's just as bad when you hold the actual phone. I'm finding it extremely hard to get a layout of tiles that isn't extremely busy and just a chaotic mess of tiles, or just (medium tile) (large tile)/(large tile) (medium tile) on every row. And large tiles are too small now, they totally get lost. WP 8.1 needs to have an extra large tile that goes across the screen at 6X3 small tiles, the current 4X2 just doesn't work on this phone.

And damn I am hating AT&T. First, all of the wireless chargers I bought for my 920 are now trash. (Although, the MS store rep said he heard a rumor about a Qi charging case coming out eventually.) Second, even after deleting a bunch of the crap apps that came preinstalled I only have 9 gigs available. That's fucking ridiculous on a phone of this size. At least I can get an SD card to hold music and pictures. Anyone know of functionality differences between storing pictures and music on an SD card instead of the phone?

NeOak

So, walked in to the Microsoft Store today and walked out with a 1520 for just $50, and I didn't even have to use an upgrade or extend my contract. All I had to do was have a fourth (maybe fifth? I lost track...) 920 crap out on me. This time for some reason no matter what kind of reception I was getting no one on the other end of a call could make out a damn thing I was saying. It was an incredibly frustrating couple of weeks before I could bring my final 920 in to the store to get it looked at. But hey, new hotness.

So, I guess I am a phablet user now. I have immediately adjusted to the larger screen size, and just like my 920 made my old iPhone 4 feel like a tiny child's toy, this monster is going to make it hard to go back to something the size of the 920. I don't care about pen input or multitasking or anything like that, I am big and this phone fits me. Fits in my jeans pocket fine, aligns perfectly from my ear to my mouth when talking, don't even really have to reach much to get to the corners when using it one handed. And if I use two hands I have more room and typing is probably faster than on the 920. The extra columns just look like ass, though. I didn't like it in pictures, and it's just as bad when you hold the actual phone. I'm finding it extremely hard to get a layout of tiles that isn't extremely busy and just a chaotic mess of tiles, or just (medium tile) (large tile)/(large tile) (medium tile) on every row. And large tiles are too small now, they totally get lost. WP 8.1 needs to have an extra large tile that goes across the screen at 6X3 small tiles, the current 4X2 just doesn't work on this phone.

And damn I am hating AT&T. First, all of the wireless chargers I bought for my 920 are now trash. (Although, the MS store rep said he heard a rumor about a Qi charging case coming out eventually.) Second, even after deleting a bunch of the crap apps that came preinstalled I only have 9 gigs available. That's fucking ridiculous on a phone of this size. At least I can get an SD card to hold music and pictures. Anyone know of functionality differences between storing pictures and music on an SD card instead of the phone?

There is no difference between storing music and pics on the SD card other than card speed.

As for the Qi, i wouldn't hold my breath. The international one had it built in. It's like the old Cingular, they took the good Nokia phones and crapped on them, then released them as crap. Every old Nokia both Symbian and non-Symbian that came out from Cingular had a damn nerf somewhere. At least the N75 could be unlocked and flashed to the international firmware, but the E71x you were SOL.

delirium

I just bought a cheap 521 to tide me over for the new phone releases in a few months. No point is spending more to have it upgraded a few months down the line.

It looks like my phone's display got a very bad case of the scratches today after falling face down to a concrete floor.

At least it didn't shatter, and I was planning to service it anyway for the battery.

Guess even Gorilla Glass isn't the toughest thing around compared to concrete.

lifelogger people should be getting an update tomorrow evening. I put down some novels to finish up work on some niiiiiiiiiiiiiiice (and much needed) usability and functionality tweaks.

Fixed some crafty bugs on photo adding. Apparently the camera only stores the local time of the photo but doesn't store the timezone, which introduces some funky things to what I try to do. I fixed this for the 98% case.
No more stupid number as the live-tile. It'll cycle through some photos instead!
Your timeline will work as a pinch-to-zoom by year. Defaults to the current year, pinch in to choose a different year. I'm also hoping to get a much cleaner calendar for each month that displays all days but also marks off days without content. There are some bugs that are preventing me from pushing this one out right now.
Your comments/tweets/facebook posts are not on the initial screen (your timeline is...)
Default functionality is to import camera-roll at first launch, so people can at least have some history right at the start.

Also hoping to add in the ability to make a journal by choosing a time period, instead of choosing each individual object. I haven't done much work on it, but it shouldn't be too bad.

Then a final week of testing, bug fixing, small tweaks, and then submission!

Maxthon browser is legit. Allows me to finally have control of my favorites allows folder creation. Best of all, it's multiplatform so not only can I have Maxthon on my Android tablet but also my desktop. You can share your favorites plus send images and other files (if I remember correctly) between devices. On WP, it's extremely fast and slick. I'm really impressed, I highly recommend it.

http://www.windowsphone.com/s?appid=7930f298-bd1e-462c-bbf2-0e36f26d04d4

Magni

I just bought a cheap 521 to tide me over for the new phone releases in a few months. No point is spending more to have it upgraded a few months down the line.

That's what I'm debating doing. I'm moving back to the US in three weeks and I'm hesitating between getting a 925 now or getting a 521 and waiting for whenever the 925's replacement comes along.

PG2G

That's what I'm debating doing. I'm moving back to the US in three weeks and I'm hesitating between getting a 925 now or getting a 521 and waiting for whenever the 925's replacement comes along.

Get the 521 unless the 925 is cheap as hell. The SoC in the 930/925/928/1020 was dated at the time of the 920s release, it is ancient now.

521 should be a nice hold over until T-Mobile gets a new device (hopefully someone other than AT&T gets a high end Nokia device at launch, lol) and will be useful as a GPS or media player afterwards.

Magni

Get the 521 unless the 925 is cheap as hell. The SoC in the 930/925/928/1020 was dated at the time of the 920s release, it is ancient now.

521 should be a nice hold over until T-Mobile gets a new device (hopefully someone other than AT&T gets a high end Nokia device at launch, lol) and will be useful as a GPS or media player afterwards.

Just checked, the 925 is now $480, and the 521 refurbished is $48 ($126 normal price). Yeah gonna go with a 521 for now :lol

The 1520 doesn't have 32GB of storage?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom