• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3 Update 3| Please be excited

Status
Not open for further replies.
Will the Lumia 525 (imported) work on T-Mobile or Straight Talk? Will I run into any issues?

Perhaps this can help:
If you are buying the phone in a store look for the product number on the box under the barcode. If it ends in P4, R4 or P4P, like TFLG800GTMP4P it's AT&T. If it ends in P5, R5 or P5P like TFLG800GTMP5 it's T-Mobile.

Most Tracfone, NET10 and Straight Talk phones also have a network code on the box. It's usually in the lower left corner on the front of the box. These codes are: CDMA-S = Sprint, CDMA-V = Verizon, GSM-A = AT&T, GSM-T = T-Mobile.

If you already have the phone, find the SIM ID in the Prepaid menu. The first six numbers of the ID determine the carrier: 890126 = T-Mobile, 890141 = AT&T

Or look at the SIM itself. AT&T Tracfone SIMs have a code on them ending in C4, like TF64SIMC4. If the SIM has a code ending in T5, like TFSIMT5, it's for T-Mobile.

Source:http://www.prepaidphonenews.com/2011/12/how-to-get-tracfone-net10-or-straight.html?m=1

NeOak

Will the Lumia 525 (imported) work on T-Mobile or Straight Talk? Will I run into any issues?

Does it has HSPA on 1700Mhz? If not, no 3G for you unless you live in a refarmed 1900MHz area.

Edit: welp, 3G is only 900/2100MHz. That is clearly an Europe/Asia focused model.

So nope, Get a 521 if you want 3G. Wont even have 3G on AT&T if you are curious.

Snaku

Banned
Does it has HSPA on 1700Mhz? If not, no 3G for you unless you live in a refarmed 1900MHz area.

Edit: welp, 3G is only 900/2100MHz. That is clearly an Europe/Asia focused model.

So nope, Get a 521 if you want 3G. Wont even have 3G on AT&T if you are curious.

I'll still get edge speed though correct? I rarely ever use data unless it's an emergency, I stick with Wi-Fi.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
My wife and I both have Lumina 521s. I installed Update 3 on mine, and I ntocied today that when both out batteries are full that she gets almost twice the "time left on charge" than I do! We have almost identical settings on our two phones... If anything I am much more cautious about battery usage and saving than she is. Is Update 3 causing the battery sucking on mine?

my battery discharge avgs about 2.5% per hour and her is in the low 1s.

My wife and I both have Lumina 521s. I installed Update 3 on mine, and I ntocied today that when both out batteries are full that she gets almost twice the "time left on charge" than I do! We have almost identical settings on our two phones... If anything I am much more cautious about battery usage and saving than she is. Is Update 3 causing the battery sucking on mine?

my battery discharge avgs about 2.5% per hour and her is in the low 1s.
Do you have more Background Tasks enabled?

NeOak

I'll still get edge speed though correct? I rarely ever use data unless it's an emergency, I stick with Wi-Fi.

You can, but soon they will start shutting down the GSM towers, since 3G can handle calls better. And coverage with 2G is somewhat worse because less towers.

hadareud

The Translator
Not too shabby:

kc2MPas.jpg

hadareud

The Translator
Yeah, they were better. I suspect we'll see it hover around the 10% mark until 8.1 and the next generation of devices.

December may be a bit higher because of the 520 promotions.

kharma45

Yeah I'm looking forward to seeing how December shapes up. I did my bit for the cause by buying my parents a 520 each.

Yeah, they were better. I suspect we'll see it hover around the 10% mark until 8.1 and the next generation of devices.

December may be a bit higher because of the 520 promotions.

I don't see another big boost, unless they have another device like the 520. There's been no indication that high end Windows Phones sell.

hadareud

The Translator
I would be surprised if it wasn't the plan to have another 520 priced phone coming out alongside 8.1.

As for the high end, I guess you are right. But there should still be a boost, at least initially.

The repair quote for my Lumia 900 was somewhat more expensive than just getting a new Lumia 525.

This has to be the strangest upgrade I've ever had, and turns out the display and camera are perfectly good.

I, for one, welcome our WP8 overlords.

maeh2k

With the launch of a major new version there could be a temporary boost. New versions bring new phones which at least for a while will see more marketing and better assortment from carriers. Especially if Microsoft can get HTC and Samsung to release something for the new version.

However, 8.1 might come out relatively soon after the Galaxy S5 and the HTC One's successor. Those will probably be the focus of the carriers (and certainly HTC and Samsung). I don't think a 520 replacement will get much more attention from carriers as the 520 does now.
So overall, I don't expect a boost.

Edit: unrelated, but interesting:
"@BenedictEvans: Android is not terribly far away from activating 2m units a day. Well past it if you include China." -- http://twitter.com/BenedictEvans/status/420162079363194880

That's more than 700 million new Android devices this year.
Microsoft would be happy with 50 million Windows Phones (they used 50 million Lumias as the break even point for the Nokia acquisition). So Windows Phone and Windows 8 combined may be only half of Android sales this year and next to no one is using apps on Windows.

The repair quote for my Lumia 900 was somewhat more expensive than just getting a new Lumia 525.

This has to be the strangest upgrade I've ever had, and turns out the display and camera are perfectly good.

I, for one, welcome our WP8 overlords.

Wouldn't it have been better for you to wait out for the dual-sim Lumia that is coming?

hwalker84

I don't really need dual-SIM smartphones. At least with the 525, it's pretty easy to swap out microSIMs since you don't have to get an ejector.

But it's big in other countries and its an avenue for sales.

On another note the 520 that I got for just music is giving me headaches. Keeps deleting the .alb files which I believe contains the artist and album information. It would look like i had no music on the phone unless I looked at "Songs". "Artists" and "Albums" reported as empty. I also couldn't download anything from the microsoft store. I did a factory reset last night.

But it's big in other countries and its an avenue for sales.

On another note the 520 that I got for just music is giving me headaches. Keeps deleting the .alb files which I believe contains the artist and album information. It would look like i had no music on the phone unless I looked at "Songs". "Artists" and "Albums" reported as empty. I also couldn't download anything from the microsoft store. I did a factory reset last night.

Out of curiosity, what sync method do you use? I use the desktop app to sync things so I won't miss Zune too much.

JaggedSac

My wife wants to change the email she is using for her WP. How do I make the change while keeping her Xbox Music sub? She has like 12 months left on it. If I change it via the MS account page, will that work?

maeh2k

My wife wants to change the email she is using for her WP. How do I make the change while keeping her Xbox Music sub? She has like 12 months left on it. If I change it via the MS account page, will that work?

Does she have two Accounts now, or do you just want to change the actual mail address on one account (via aliases or renaming)? If it's two accounts, then why the change? Would it maybe suffice to just add the other mail account on the phone?

JaggedSac

Does she have two Accounts now, or do you just want to change the actual mail address on one account (via aliases or renaming)? If it's two accounts, then why the change? Would it maybe suffice to just add the other mail account on the phone?

Two accounts. She created a new account after we got married and told everyone to start using that one instead. She also uses the Skydrive on her new account since she got some extra space somehow.

Typing that out made me realize that she can't just swap the email in MS account page since she that other one is already a MS account. Only issue is that XBox Music sub.

maeh2k

Looks like now after the Moto G Android OEMs are really stepping up their game in the entry-level segment: http://www.engadget.com/2014/01/06/asus-zenfone/
"Move to the ZenFone 5 and you'll get a larger 720p display with pen and glove support, a 2GHz Atom, an 8MP back camera and 2MP at the front." for $150 off-contract.

This may not end well for Nokia.

Razdek

Banned
Looks like now after the Moto G Android OEMs are really stepping up their game in the entry-level segment: http://www.engadget.com/2014/01/06/asus-zenfone/
"Move to the ZenFone 5 and you'll get a larger 720p display with pen and glove support, a 2GHz Atom, an 8MP back camera and 2MP at the front." for $150 off-contract.

This may not end well for Nokia.

Jesus, couldn't they have made a couple of them WP as well? I think Nokia still has the better brand name but they better have something more than just sticking 1 GB of RAM in the 525 for their low end phones.

hwalker84

Jesus, couldn't they have made a couple of them WP as well? I think Nokia still has the better brand name but they better have something more than just sticking 1 GB of RAM in the 525 for their low end phones.
WP8 hasn't been compiled for Intel chips.

After using the Lumia 525 for photos in just about every situation, including a "party" shot at low light (but not absurdly low light), I think I can say that the only things I've lost with regard to the main camera are the megapixel count (no big deal - quality is more important) and flash.

Or: the 900's sensor was really bad.

After using the Lumia 525 for photos in just about every situation, including a "party" shot at low light (but not absurdly low light), I think I can say that the only things I've lost with regard to the main camera are the megapixel count (no big deal - quality is more important) and flash.

Or: the 900's sensor was really bad.

I still believe 900 has the worst camera, every picture I took have these green tint and post processing was atrocious.

I chuckle at the thread about Microsoft "claim" that they are selling a lot of Windows Phone. It goes well with Microsoft "claim" they sold 3 millions Xbox One.

Tapiozona

Banned
Anyone else really into customizing their homescreen to make it less functional and more aesthetic? I've seen some crazy ones on wpcentral and reddit and after being on Windows phone since launch it's completely refreshed my view on the OS.

Here's my current one...

Phone2_zpsc45782ee.jpg

I still believe 900 has the worst camera, every picture I took have these green tint and post processing was atrocious.

Green tint, heh.

I'm more annoyed by how chroma noise managed to creep in at ISO 100 shots with the 900, and there's a bit of crunchiness at the corners, and then as the ISO rises, everything just gets worse. By ISO 800, everything is just a blurry, chroma-noise-ruined mess, no matter the subject detail. Automatic white balance is wrong most of the time, and all the preset WB settings are tinted under many cases. (Daylight WB is redundant for this phone since, well, yeah.) The focusing is very finicky if I didn't set it up beforehand, too.

It's amazing that I've lived with it for so long.

For some reason, the 525's camera doesn't suffer from these problems, and the pink tint the camera has in the middle isn't too strong. When coupled with Nokia Camera beta, it's pretty powerful for a "budget" smartphone camera - somehow, you can get full manual control (though maximum ISO is 1600 instead of 4000, and shutter speeds are capped at 1 second). If only that thing had an LED flash! Even though the ISO 100 shots has some luminance noise in it, it's pretty pleasing, being grain-like, and there's nary a hint of chroma noise. Things get suppressed well, even at ISO 1600.

Sometimes, processing is king.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
If I cared that much about chroma noise and iso's, I'd sell a bunch of stuff and buy a 1020. Or get a second job.

maeh2k

"@BenedictEvans: Android is not terribly far away from activating 2m units a day. Well past it if you include China." -- http://twitter.com/BenedictEvans/status/420162079363194880

That's more than 700 million new Android devices this year.
Microsoft would be happy with 50 million Windows Phones (they used 50 million Lumias as the break even point for the Nokia acquisition). So Windows Phone and Windows 8 combined may be only half of Android sales this year and next to no one is using apps on Windows.

Some new Garner numbers (even if their far out predictions are worthless, their 2013 and 2014 numbers shouldn't be too far off): http://microsoft-news.com/gartner/

Android is just obliterating everything. Counting phones as computing devices, Microsoft is down to a 14% share of personal computing -- same as Apple.
This week Android's dominance is on display at CES. They are increasing their reach to cars, TVs, and even a lot of traditional PCs running ChromeOS or Android were shown.

I'm curious what will become of AMD's and Intel's efforts for Android/Windows 8 2in1 devices. Personally, as a user, I'd hate it. But I'm curious how other users will adapt to it. Since it's basically two tablet OSs users could make a conscious, informed choice (if they tried both enough).

Some new Garner numbers (even if their far out predictions are worthless, their 2013 and 2014 numbers shouldn't be too far off): http://microsoft-news.com/gartner/

Android is just obliterating everything. Counting phones as computing devices, Microsoft is down to a 14% share of personal computing -- same as Apple.
This week Android's dominance is on display at CES. They are increasing their reach to cars, TVs, and even a lot of traditional PCs running ChromeOS or Android were shown.

I'm curious what will become of AMD's and Intel's efforts for Android/Windows 8 2in1 devices. Personally, as a user, I'd hate it. But I'm curious how other users will adapt to it. Since it's basically two tablet OSs users could make a conscious, informed choice (if they tried both enough).
correct me if I'm wrong but previous 2-in-1's were dual boot. The new ones have both running at the same time so you can open an android app while in windows.

developers will surely focus more on android and iOS and continue to treat WP and Metro like a red headed step child.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom