• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3 Update 3| Please be excited

Status
Not open for further replies.

frontieruk

Stumbled upon a Microsoft store and ended up buying a Lumia 520 to make my upcoming game for the Windows Mobile platform. I'm loving this little thing! It's quick, easy to use, nicely built, and there's no lag. Amazing device for the price.

You guys probably scare this dude away. LOL, but yeah calling the OS Windows Phone probably doesn't help Microsoft winning any market shares.

We are all just joking so don't take all this Windows Mobile comment too seriously.

It's a TRAP!

hadareud

The Translator
The FFS on the 1020 stopped working, no dust or anything.

Soft reset the phone, works again. Same happened to my gf's 920.

I think you sent your phone in a bit prematurely, Brot.

1320 is sexy as hell, maybe more so than the 1520. great choice if you ask me.

personally, I would need a proper pureview camera but then price increases.

I think I personally don't need a PureView camera if the camera is at least not noisy at ISO 100.

Is the 1320 basically the 1520 with a lower-resolution display, a better glass cover (for some odd reason), less internal storage, a lower-tier CPU, half the memory, no wireless charging, and a "normal" camera? I think I can live with them, if only to finally get off Windows Phone 7 and also get into the phablet craze and HD displays.

Speaking of the 1320, how would the 920 compare? Seeing as it's now an "older" model, maybe it'll actually be workable for me, too.

The FFS on the 1020 stopped working, no dust or anything.

Soft reset the phone, works again. Same happened to my gf's 920.

I think you sent your phone in a bit prematurely, Brot.

I haven't sent it in yet and won't until next Monday. And what doesn't work for me isn't the FFC (lol, FFS), but the proximity sensor. No soft-reset is going to fix that. I can't even end a fucking call anymore.

hadareud

The Translator
I haven't sent it in yet and won't until next Monday. And what doesn't work for me isn't the FFC (lol, FFS), but the proximity sensor. No soft-reset is going to fix that. I can't even end a fucking call anymore.

An appropriate slip of the tongue.

That sucks.

Edit, anyway I meant the sensor. The soft reset fixed the problem with it.

PG2G

Looks like the Lumia Moneypenny is 854x480, so modified / ratio to support the software buttons as opposed to taking up existing space.

maeh2k

Name seems appropriate. Wonder just how cheap they'll try to go.

In typical Nokia fashion it will probably start overpriced at near 200 Euros and won't do well in comparisons to the Moto G. Then it'll go down to ~$100 in some places much like the 520 and the 525 while still being overpriced in Europe.

Nokia really need a phone to compete with the Moto G. 200 Euros, 720p.

Tomcat

In typical Nokia fashion it will probably start overpriced at near 200 Euros and won't do well in comparisons to the Moto G. Then it'll go down to ~$100 in some places much like the 520 and the 525 while still being overpriced in Europe.

Nokia really need a phone to compete with the Moto G. 200 Euros, 720p.

Yep and they need it right now. Luckily the price of the 920 is so low that you must be an idiot to not go for that for a few euros more. Moto g only being 8/16gb has made many people avoid it too. Logically at mwc we will see nokia's answer.

PG2G

It sounds like it'll actually be the 63X. Still, WVGA nowadays when phones like the Moto G have 720p displays. Better be cheap.

I wonder what they will unveil at MWC. Part of me wouldn't be surprised if they saved the 53X and 93X (their best sellers) for WP 8.1 and only introduced the 63X and (maybe) 83X.

An 83X with the same internals as the 1520/929 and with a 4.5 inch 720p display might actually make for a nice device. The 8XX line is the only one that has been completely neglected also.

MCD

I am really not looking forward for any new hardware from Nokia. I want software awesomeness.

I don't mind seeing HTC 8x successor though!

It sounds like it'll actually be the 63X. Still, WVGA nowadays when phones like the Moto G have 720p displays. Better be cheap.

I wonder what they will unveil at MWC. Part of me wouldn't be surprised if they saved the 53X and 93X (their best sellers) for WP 8.1 and only introduced the 63X and (maybe) 83X.

An 83X with the same internals as the 1520/929 and with a 4.5 inch 720p display might actually make for a nice device. The 8XX line is the only one that has been completely neglected also.

Because it was terrible from the very beginning. €499 off-contract for a WVGA phone in 2012? Get the fuck out with that shit.

maeh2k

Shit I just got caught on the street by the Nokia HERE car

Don't worry. Google will drive them out of business soon enough.

They should have sold off Here to Microsoft, too. I don't think they can compete in the long run. Both Apple and Google are pushing towards cars and on iOS and Android no one would even consider Here (moreover, Nokia just pulled their iOS app).

They should have sold off Here to Microsoft, too. I don't think they can compete in the long run. Both Apple and Google are pushing towards cars and on iOS and Android no one would even consider Here (moreover, Nokia just pulled their iOS app).

LOL!! You do realize that HERE is already in millions of vehicles across several major manufactures, right?

Ford and Hyundai-Kia use them as their exclusive nav provider, among others.

Any vehicle with a Navteq unit is running what is now dubbed as HERE.

maeh2k

LOL!! You do realize that HERE is already in millions of vehicles across several major manufactures, right?

Ford and Hyundai-Kia use them as their exclusive nav provider, among others.

Any vehicle with a Navteq unit is running what is now dubbed as HERE.

Yeah, they are in like four out of five in-car navigation systems. But if more manufacturers move to iOS and Android infotainment solutions, this might change in the future. Google just loves throwing Android on everything. http://www.theverge.com/2013/12/30/5255912/google-and-audi-collaborate-on-in-car-infotainment-to-rival-apple

And from what I can tell, Here is barely profitable now. Should Android successfully expand to cars, Here might be in trouble.
That may not necessarily happen, as car manufacturers might want to hold on to their own solutions, similar to TV manufacturers where Google has seen little success. But I don't see a lot of growth opportunities for Here and at least the possibility of an oncoming downfall.

I've you're developing something for the platform, you better start calling it "Windows Phone", because that's the official branding since 2010. It's just a tip. I don't want you to upset the rabid and insane fanboys *looks around*
Heh, fair enough.
So you're one of those who still call iOS "iPhone OS".
Nah, I call it iOS. lol

After a day with this thing, I'm really excited to work with it. Everything works well on this thing. Hell, I was streaming some Plex movies when my main phone's battery was dying.
Evangelion 3.33 looked good on it, too!

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Cinemagraph has impressed quite a few friends in the past days.

85bcf2b0-cdca-418c-910c-f21cedc5d9a4.gif

I used Here Maps to go from Chicago to Eastern PA (almost 600 miles) and I was left mostly unimpressed. I wish I had used Google instead. I mean, it was likely better than Apple maps, but there were still various instances where it took me on wild goose chases. It once sent us into a dead end alley. Another time it sent us through the back woods of Eastern PA because it had the "No Tolls" setting on. Overall, it got us where we needed to go, and the directions were clear and timely, but it needs continuous improvement. I haven't used Google Maps in a while, so I don't know if it has continued to be the leading free solution for mobile phones or not, but I suspect Google's massive investments in mapping will help it stay on top.

MCD

I reckon Nokia/HERE is stronger in Asia/Europe/Middle East than the US so I'm not surprised by your experience.

JaggedSac

I used Here Maps to go from Chicago to Eastern PA (almost 600 miles) and I was left mostly unimpressed. I wish I had used Google instead. I mean, it was likely better than Apple maps, but there were still various instances where it took me on wild goose chases. It once sent us into a dead end alley. Another time it sent us through the back woods of Eastern PA because it had the "No Tolls" setting on. Overall, it got us where we needed to go, and the directions were clear and timely, but it needs continuous improvement. I haven't used Google Maps in a while, so I don't know if it has continued to be the leading free solution for mobile phones or not, but I suspect Google's massive investments in mapping will help it stay on top.

I drove from Atlanta to Boston(stopping off at Kitty Hawk, Jamestown, etc along the way) using Drive and it worked great for me. Downloaded all the states I would hit and thus didn't use data. I went through tolls though so it was a very straight shot.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
... Probably a really stupid question:

What's better for battery life at home/work? Keeping your WiFi always connected even during "sleep" mode or making your WiFi turn off every time you sleep the screen, and then reconnect on wake up? And does keeping Celluar Data turned on even when not using it through the day, do anything to drain the battery?

PG2G

What's better for battery life at home/work? Keeping your WiFi always connected even during "sleep" mode or making your WiFi turn off every time you sleep the screen, and then reconnect on wake up? And does keeping Celluar Data turned on even when not using it through the day, do anything to drain the battery?

I'd keep wifi on because even when its in "sleep" stuff is still going on in the background and you want it to use your wifi data not your cell data. I do turn wifi off when I know I am going to be in a place without wifi for a long time tho.

Keep wifi on if you have a solid connection. Same with cellular. Be sure to turn off cellular if your connection is spotty.

NeOak

That is why i use Bing Maps with the Maps shortcut. HERE maps can be weird.

Liberty4all

Banned
I think I personally don't need a PureView camera if the camera is at least not noisy at ISO 100.

Is the 1320 basically the 1520 with a lower-resolution display, a better glass cover (for some odd reason), less internal storage, a lower-tier CPU, half the memory, no wireless charging, and a "normal" camera? I think I can live with them, if only to finally get off Windows Phone 7 and also get into the phablet craze and HD displays.

Speaking of the 1320, how would the 920 compare? Seeing as it's now an "older" model, maybe it'll actually be workable for me, too.

I love my 920. Coming from IOS, I've had my 920 for about 18 months now.

It took me awhile to get used to WP quirks, however, the OS has some great features like tightly integrated social media. The thing I love the most about the 920 is the camera. Thanks to the stabilization featured and its specialization in low light situations, this is the best camera I've ever used. My wife just got a iPhone 5S and id say the 920 camera is equal if not superior to it.

Commodore

Well, after putting me through years of waiting for the app, Mint sort of made the wait worth it. I retweeted some contest they were running in celebration for their app finally showing up on WP8/Windows 8, and today they let me know I actually won. Never won anything in my life, so now I can't say that any more.

$25 gift card to Marketplace

Anyone have any recommendations for apps that are expensive but awesome?

Razdek

Banned
With all the talk about 64-bit and 2K screens for next year do you guys think the Windows Phone team are even thinking of this stuff of are they more concerned about catch up features? I know some of you guys don't card about these things but this is where mobile phones are going and it would be nice if WP is going with the curve and not always behind it. It'll be nice if we see some handsets with these features next year.

joshschw

With all the talk about 64-bit and 2K screens for next year do you guys think the Windows Phone team are even thinking of this stuff of are they more concerned about catch up features? I know some of you guys don't card about these things but this is where mobile phones are going and it would be nice if WP is going with the curve and not always behind it. It'll be nice if we see some handsets with these features next year.

Your definition of "the curve" is different than mine, and many others.

Android is far behind my definition of "the curve"

PG2G

Android is a bit of an arms race, manufacturers doing everything they can to look better than their competition.

I think the Windows Phone team will go along with Qualcomm's roadmap as far as processors are concerned (and I don't know that they have said much about 64 bit) and 2K is just... silly.
Wouldn't be surprised to see WP less fixed when it comes to resolution as it gets closer and closer to Windows RT though

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom