• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3 Update 3| Please be excited

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Got the black update for my 920. Already liking the new glance screen a lot, and I have my fingers crossed that the new Bluetooth car option might bring back reading out incoming texts which I lost when I changed cars.

The new 'drive mode' is *this close* to being a great night mode - it's just stupidly tied to a Bluetooth connection so no way to turn it on separately. Turn off notifications and incoming texts? Ideal for when you need to leave your phone on overnight

It works for me

I don't believe developers can't get at the APIs for the Peoples/Messaging Hub
You mean there are no Api's or developers are simply not using them?

I figure I might as well announce it here in case anyone may use the service.

Fans of Anime may have heard that there is a relatively new service called Hummingbird. If you don't know about it, its essentially a site where you can add shows to your library, track shows and even get recommendations on new shows by looking at what you watched and liked in the past. In addition, they are also building up what looks to be a social network for Anime fans.

So cue the actual post. For some time now, I have been working with their public API to create an App for WP under the name of "Anitro". In the app, I have implemented everything available within the public API and have some more ideas on how to expand the app further both once I have some spare time and once the API updates. As it currently stands though, with the app you can:
  • Manage and View your library
  • Post to and View your Activity Feed
  • Search Titles
  • Pin your favorite titles to the start screen
  • Set the app as your lock screen provider

Long story short, If anyone uses the service and would like to try out the App, you can get it from the store here: http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/store/app/anitro/6377b104-7df2-4d29-8ebb-88527728e673?signin=true

Man its awkward promoting your own stuff
I created a hummingbird account using Facebook, but now I don't have an email/password to log in your app. I tried used the same info but it didn't work :(

I've been asking for this since day 1. You can share a picture on Whatsapp from the Picture hub, why can't you open a conversation in Whatsapp from the People hub?
Exactly!!! And would make WP all the more awesome!

So if you go to search button, hit the local scout button it will bring up places for eat+drink? See+Do will generally work for me but not eat+drink.
Most of the time I've found that eat+drink doesn't show up with anything, but it will occasionally pull in data when I'm walking down Downtown Toronto.

You mean there are no Api's or developers are simply not using them?
Isnt that one of the 8.1 features? That devs will have hooks into the Hub?
I don't believe that there are any APIs available for those hubs yet, the most an app can do is pull information from the hubs and store information to contact cards that users can't see. Although I've heard that 8.1 might allow it, but I could have just heard wrong. It would be awesome if it Microsoft does end up allowing it though, I could see social networking apps integrate within the "Post an Update" in the Me hub, or chat apps integrate into Messaging/People. It would bring in some really nice integration within the platform and just be a big benefit.

I created a hummingbird account using Facebook, but now I don't have an email/password to log in your app. I tried used the same info but it didn't work :(
So the API doesn't allow for Facebook Auth within apps yet, but I just created a dummy facebook+hummingbird account to test this out and I found a workaround and a way to sign in.
If you go into your account settings on the Hummingbird website, there is a field to set a password. Just set a password, then your username is what shows under "Name".

Also, I just submitted the search fix to the marketplace, so that should be up once it gets certified.

ElNino

The new 'drive mode' is *this close* to being a great night mode - it's just stupidly tied to a Bluetooth connection so no way to turn it on separately. Turn off notifications and incoming texts? Ideal for when you need to leave your phone on overnight
Yeah, I wish they would allow you to turn it on without being connected to Bluetooth. The way it works now is opposite of how I would like to use it.

When I'm driving my van (which has Bluetooth), I want to be able to receive texts and calls because they will be routed through the van's speakers; but when I'm driving my car (which doesn't have Bluetooth) I would like it to be enabled since there is no way for me to answer the phone or receive texts without picking up the phone.

kazinova

AT&T 925 just got pushed the Black update.

C'mon 920! :(

Is there any reason to be that excited for Black?

Is there any reason to be excited for WP8 in general?

Man, I've been bummed on my phone recently.

I really hope MWC brings some good news, or shows some serious progress. I'm getting close to considering a different phone OS this fall if nothing changes about the total lack of urgency in the WP team.

\negativenancy

I don't believe that there are any APIs available for those hubs yet, the most an app can do is pull information from the hubs and store information to contact cards that users can't see. Although I've heard that 8.1 might allow it, but I could have just heard wrong. It would be awesome if it Microsoft does end up allowing it though, I could see social networking apps integrate within the "Post an Update" in the Me hub, or chat apps integrate into Messaging/People. It would bring in some really nice integration within the platform and just be a big benefit.
I see. Been looking for some 8.1 rumors... If all the rumors come to fruition 8.1 will be a great update for the platform!

I'm anxiously waiting for more details.

So the API doesn't allow for Facebook Auth within apps yet, but I just created a dummy facebook+hummingbird account to test this out and I found a workaround and a way to sign in.
If you go into your account settings on the Hummingbird website, there is a field to set a password. Just set a password, then your username is what shows under "Name".

Also, I just submitted the search fix to the marketplace, so that should be up once it gets certified.

WOW, there's no api for facebook login yet? Jesus, Ms sure can be slow sometimes XD

But your workaround did the trick, thank you!

this_guy

I really hope MWC brings some good news, or shows some serious progress. I'm getting close to considering a different phone OS this fall if nothing changes about the total lack of urgency in the WP team.

\negativenancy

There's nothing mind blowing about it, but I do like that Nokia's Glance feature will now also include notifications.
but I just got an iPhone 5s last week on Verizon and will let T-Mobile pay off my etf

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
There's nothing mind blowing about it, but I do like that Nokia's Glance feature will now also include notifications.
but I just got an iPhone 5s last week on Verizon and will let T-Mobile pay off my etf

Your 925 is t mobile or at&t? I'm looking for a at&t 925 on the cheap.

WOW, there's no api for facebook login yet? Jesus, Ms sure can be slow sometimes XD

looks like facebook login in-app for that web-service is the issue here.

We don't allow login through the OS facebook account for specific reasons. There is easy in-app login that can be done using a facebook api.

Fjolle

\negativenancy

I doubt that MS would announce any software news at MVC when they have BUILD in april where they supposedly should show WP8.1 (and ship it by MVC 2015).

Maybe we'll see a WP version of the S4, but I'm not getting excited.

Its the Hummingbird API that doesn't allow it yet, It can be done on Windows Phone though (just launch a browser to the auth, get your key, pass to the service). Though I'm hoping that I should get access to it when API.v2 comes out (last I heard, that was their plan atleast).

Its the Hummingbird API that doesn't allow it yet, It can be done on Windows Phone though (just launch a browser to the auth, get your key, pass to the service). Though I'm hoping that I should get access to it when API.v2 comes out (last I heard, that was their plan atleast).

looks like facebook login in-app for that web-service is the issue here.

We don't allow login through the OS facebook account for specific reasons. There is easy in-app login that can be done using a facebook api.

Oh, I see. Thanks for clearing it up.

this_guy

Didn't he had to trade it in?

Still have my 925, but you are correct I will have to trade in a working Verizon phone on T-Mobile's device trade in list for them to pay the etf. I purchased a cheap smartphone off of eBay and will use that as the trade in.

maeh2k

"What turns Cortana on

"Bing Tell Me .."
“.. will it rain today?”
“.. when’s my next meeting?”
“.. how do I get to the American Airlines Arena?”

Cortana will be voiced by Jen Taylor & will launch first in beta on Lumia this April for US developers.
The service will expand to the Bing app for iPhone in the US market this fall. The underlying technology will be extended to American Xbox One & Windows users in 2015 with Threshold. Availability in additional English-speaking territories will be spread out over 2015 & 2016.

The speech recognition improvements have started to ship already in the Bing Translator app for Windows.

Happy new year!
"

From MSFTNerd.

As expected, it's US-only until 2015. Which is bullshiiiit.

Can't say I'm surprised that Microsoft is blowing this. The competing services have been out for years and additionally Microsoft's voice recognition doesn't work as well. By now they should already have a unified, competitive system-wide voice input solution in Windows (I know they've had voice input forever), Windows Phone, and the Xbox.
On the plus side, people are barely using speech input on iOS and Android, anyway. So it's probably not a big deal. Still very disappointing that it's taking so long. Especially outside of the US.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Still have my 925, but you are correct I will have to trade in a working Verizon phone on T-Mobile's device trade in list for them to pay the etf. I purchased a cheap smartphone off of eBay and will use that as the trade in.

Are you selling the 925 or keeping it as a backup phone?

this_guy

Are you selling the 925 or keeping it as a backup phone?

For now keeping it as a backup phone. Once I make the switch to T-Mobile I plan on unlocking it and I'll probably use it more than the 5s. The iPhone's screen is smaller than I would prefer. Only reason I got it is to play with iOS7, plus it retains its value when it's time to sell.

**edit** - actually, scratch that. You'll probably make better use of it then I will, and once the new Android flagships from HTC/Samsung etc come out I'll probably switch over again. I'll send you a pm. The phone is 2 months old and I have original box, charger, and a case for it. I'll give it to you cheaper than the current going prices on eBay/Craigslist.

hadareud

The Translator
Ah ok, I thought that Google had taken over Path or something like that.

They could have done with literally ones of additional customers.

hwalker84

What the hell is Windows Embedded 8 handheld?

http://wmpoweruser.com/new-rugged-handset-can-run-both-windows-phone-and-android/

image_thumb70.png

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Guys, the new Nokia Beamer and Nokia play-to work really well. Play-to is a lot quicker now to pair up and display photos and video to my TV. The best dlna implementation I've ever used. Beamer is even more magical than it was before. I emailed a link to my father in law, and suddenly he could see everything on my phone screen. I was showing him pics of my son's first haircut and he was seeing them pretty much in real time as I swiped through them on my phone. Unbelievable. I even played a video, though that showed up without audio on his end. This is the kind of stuff that impresses me most about Nokia. Those guys do amazing work, I really wish they had stayed independent, in terms of the phone team.

DedValve

Banned
I need help with my lumia 920!

I resetted my phone and then it got stuck on the two stupid gears for hours that no matter what goes away.

I tried this guide from nokia: http://www.nokia.com/us-en/support/faq/?action=singleTopic&topic=FA141347

where I hold down the power button and volume button and then the volume button but no matter what I do or what I try I never get to the exclamation point, it just immediately boots up to the gears icon again.

Is this phone screwed?

MarkusRJR

Are there any new WP devices coming out? It seriously feels like beyond the phablet Nokia phone and the 525 there is no major line up of devices.

this_guy

I need help with my lumia 920!

I resetted my phone and then it got stuck on the two stupid gears for hours that no matter what goes away.

I tried this guide from nokia: http://www.nokia.com/us-en/support/faq/?action=singleTopic&topic=FA141347

where I hold down the power button and volume button and then the volume button but no matter what I do or what I try I never get to the exclamation point, it just immediately boots up to the gears icon again.

Is this phone screwed?

I did 2 factory resets when I had the 920. The first time took 8 hours, and the second an entire weekend and I thought it bricked. Just be sure to alternate it on and off the charger. This seems to be a known issue with the 920.

hadareud

The Translator
Are there any new WP devices coming out? It seriously feels like beyond the phablet Nokia phone and the 525 there is no major line up of devices.

Doubt we'll see anything new until 8.1 now. Maybe they'll show something at MWC end of February for release in April or May, but I can't really see it.

There's the 5-inch 1080p device for Verizon, but other than that I would expect devices in the last spring loaded with 8.1 as the next wave.

hadareud

The Translator
Can't knock the idea, if they did a Windows Phone I would consider getting one.

And after considering it I would still buy the 1020 successor because I can't live without the camera anymore. Also I'm too much of a hypocrite to really care.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom