• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3 Update 3| Please be excited

Status
Not open for further replies.
I figure I might as well announce it here in case anyone may use the service.

Fans of Anime may have heard that there is a relatively new service called Hummingbird. If you don't know about it, its essentially a site where you can add shows to your library, track shows and even get recommendations on new shows by looking at what you watched and liked in the past. In addition, they are also building up what looks to be a social network for Anime fans.

So cue the actual post. For some time now, I have been working with their public API to create an App for WP under the name of "Anitro". In the app, I have implemented everything available within the public API and have some more ideas on how to expand the app further both once I have some spare time and once the API updates. As it currently stands though, with the app you can:
  • Manage and View your library
  • Post to and View your Activity Feed
  • Search Titles
  • Pin your favorite titles to the start screen
  • Set the app as your lock screen provider

Anitro.png

ce58b3b9-2cbe-4051-8055-4af3b882ecbb
b2634652-fcee-4ffb-86c7-013299d18efe

http://forums.hummingbird.me/t/windows-phone-8-anitro/3824

Long story short, If anyone uses the service and would like to try out the App, you can get it from the store here: http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/store/app/anitro/6377b104-7df2-4d29-8ebb-88527728e673?signin=true

Man its awkward promoting your own stuff

Out of curiosity, do you... protect your phone(s) with something that isn't called "just being really careful with them"? After that unfortunate fall with my old phone, I made it a top priority to get both a case and a screen protector for my 525.

Fans of Anime may have heard that there is a relatively new service called Hummingbird. If you don't know about it, its essentially a site where you can add shows to your library, track shows and even get recommendations on new shows by looking at what you watched and liked in the past. In addition, they are also building up what looks to be a social network for Anime fans.

So cue the actual post. For some time now, I have been working with their public API to create an App for WP under the name of "Anitro". In the app, I have implemented everything available within the public API and have some more ideas on how to expand the app further both once I have some spare time and once the API updates. As it currently stands though, with the app you can:
  • Search Titles

Long story short, If anyone uses the service and would like to try out the App, you can get it from the store here: http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/store/app/anitro/6377b104-7df2-4d29-8ebb-88527728e673?signin=true

Hmm, it won't let me add anything. I search and nothing happens. Bug maybe?

MCD

• Search Titles

Oh man, I always wanted more animu apps for WP like myanimelist and myfigurecollection.

This look great and from a fellow WP8 gaffer no less. Will try.

Can I persuade you to make me apps? :p

Hmm, it won't let me add anything. I search and nothing happens. Bug maybe?
Something may be up with the server, I just tried it and its not pulling anything up for me either, odd as it was working yesterday. I'll see if I can find the problem and put a patch out.

Oh man, I always wanted more animu apps for WP like myanimelist and myfigurecollection.

This look great and from a fellow WP8 gaffer no less. Will try.

Can I persuade you to make me apps? :p
Depends on the app :p

I listed them in that post!

Oh, so apps for MAL and MyFigureCollection? I thought you were talking about other ones :p
I could look into it, no promises, but if it looks simple enough I'll let you know.

I can confirm this bug too.
So I just looked into it, and it looks like their server was adding in a random space at the end which was messing up my code. I just fixed it and I'll upload it to the store tomorrow, then hopefully the fix (along with some speed improvements and data usage reductions) should be up by Wednesday. :)

"What turns Cortana on

"Bing Tell Me .."
“.. will it rain today?”
“.. when’s my next meeting?”
“.. how do I get to the American Airlines Arena?”

Cortana will be voiced by Jen Taylor & will launch first in beta on Lumia this April for US developers.
The service will expand to the Bing app for iPhone in the US market this fall. The underlying technology will be extended to American Xbox One & Windows users in 2015 with Threshold. Availability in additional English-speaking territories will be spread out over 2015 & 2016.

The speech recognition improvements have started to ship already in the Bing Translator app for Windows.

Happy new year!
"

From MSFTNerd.

As expected, it's US-only until 2015. Which is bullshiiiit.

kharma45

They really want me to Android again don't they?

I don't understand this US focus when your biggest market is across the fucking Atlantic. Stupid fucking arseholes.

Fjolle

They really want me to Android again don't they?

I don't understand this US focus when your biggest market is across the fucking Atlantic. Stupid fucking arseholes.

I'm already android. Ordered a Moto G yesterday.. Lets see how long it takes me to hate low end android devices.

hadareud

The Translator
Ridiculous that it's not available in at least all English speaking territories from the beginning.

I could understand a month or two delay, but a whole year is a complete joke. What the fuck Microsoft.

Microsoft are one of the largest companies in the world, there's absolutely no excuse for not localising stuff from the very beginning. They can afford it and they have the resources to work on multiple locals and languages simultaneously. They have partners around the world that can do that job for them if they don't want to do it in house.

Again, there's no excuse. Particularly not since it is Europe that is currently financing their little phone OS division.

JaggedSac

"What turns Cortana on

"Bing Tell Me .."
“.. will it rain today?”

Cortana will be voiced by Jen Taylor & will launch first in beta on Lumia this April for US developers.
The service will expand to the Bing app for iPhone in the US market this fall. The underlying technology will be extended to American Xbox One & Windows users in 2015 with Threshold. Availability in additional English-speaking territories will be spread out over 2015 & 2016.

The speech recognition improvements have started to ship already in the Bing Translator app for Windows.

Happy new year!
"

From MSFTNerd.

Voice by Jen Taylor, friggen awesome. They are actually sticking with the Cortana thing, lol. Sucks that it isn't coming to the Bone until 2015 though.

EDIT:

It's Microsoft we're talking about here. The US folks can be glad that they got their video game person to voice it.

:p

kharma45

I've been trying to get the banks here in Northern Ireland to get their apps onto WP. Ulster Bank are part of RBS who already have an app so they've no excuse, and Danske Bank only need to translate the one they have on the platform already into English. First Trust at least have done a mobile site.

toff74

An excellent app for Barclays UK has finally been released. Only Sky Go/Sky+ apps are missing for me.

Any news on the Sky apps? Didn't they release an app in Italy or something?

Once they land i reckon the UK will start taking more notice of WP. I'm doing my bit and converting on average 1 a month.. mainly from ios.

2015 for Windows and Xbox, Windows Phone now lead platform! Seriously how could they not make Xbox One version a priority also. Kinect voice control really could benefit from natural speak instead of the current strict voice command.

It would be mega awesome if there was apis for the devs hook their apps with the hubs... Something like having whatsapp on the messages hub, or my instagram followers showing up in people hub.

Right now it's already really sweet, but not quite there as there are things that won't hook up to the hubs...

• Search Titles

Oh, that's awesome! Downloading right away!

"What turns Cortana on

"Bing Tell Me .."
“.. will it rain today?”

Happy new year!
"

From MSFTNerd.

1 year for Xbone/Windows and non english countries? WTF?

Sky still say that they have no plans to release WP/W8 apps.

On the Brazilian store there is a Sky Play app for W8 AND Xbone!
That only plays very low quality SD videos

Suck it up US!

toff74

Sky still say that they have no plans to release WP/W8 apps.

um.. i thought id open a chat with sky support to see if there was any info to get.. here's the end of the chat:

14:47
Chris, I understand your concern. Our developers are working on it once it is updated you can check the details on your Sky homepage.
Kaustav

14:48
thank you for the information. You have any idea when it will be ready to download?
Me

14:49
Within one month you will be able to use Sky Go.
Kaustav

:)
Kaustav

thats really good.. thank you. Phew.
Me

Now i dont honestly think this chap knew anything, but it was an interesting response..

Siri is going to celebrate her 4th birthday by then.

I think Kyle Bosman's Nintendo elephant is highly appropriate for Microsoft as a whole.

hadareud

The Translator
um.. i thought id open a chat with sky support to see if there was any info to get.. here's the end of the chat:

14:47
Chris, I understand your concern. Our developers are working on it once it is updated you can check the details on your Sky homepage.
Kaustav

14:48
thank you for the information. You have any idea when it will be ready to download?
Me

Within one month you will be able to use Sky Go.
Kaustav

:)
Kaustav

thats really good.. thank you. Phew.
Me

Now i dont honestly think this chap knew anything, but it was an interesting response..

Wow, that would be quite something.

Suspect that he knew nothing though, like you say.

I've been trying to get the banks here in Northern Ireland to get their apps onto WP. Ulster Bank are part of RBS who already have an app so they've no excuse, and Danske Bank only need to translate the one they have on the platform already into English. First Trust at least have done a mobile site.
I constantly check for a Danske Bank app. They have one for every Scandinavian country. Need to sort it already.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, I'm hoping I can have my phone set to US and it will work?? The region bullshit is probably the thing that bothers me most about WP. There is no reason that Local Scout should not be available in Canada still as well as other functionality. Doesn't make any sense.

Do they really understand how much this pisses people off?

kharma45

Yeah, I'm hoping I can have my phone set to US and it will work?? The region bullshit is probably the thing that bothers me most about WP. There is no reason that Local Scout should not be available in Canada still as well as other functionality. Doesn't make any sense.

Do they really understand how much this pisses people off?

I still don't understand why the new Bing search hasn't rolled out beyond the USA yet. It's only been a fuck load of months.

So ever since I got my 920 replaced with a 925, my Gmail work account has been kinda funny on my phone.

I noticed I can't set "as items arrive" as the option for setting up mail. I understand this is due to a change that Google made last year for how their accounts can be accessed, which is fine--it's not as convenient to have to do the 15 minute check, but whatever.

The problem is that my Google calendars aren't really syncing up. For instance, calendar invites that I have declined on my work computer/Google calendar, still send me reminders and appear as though I've responded "yes" on my phone. Even if I decline on my phone and the events disappear, within an hour or so, they come back. It seems like something isn't syncing correctly, but everything appears fine on my phone. Any thoughts?

Just saw a 1520 on the bus and it's comically large, I can't imagine using a phone that large. The screen is really impressive though.

It's so great to have a phone that big, I love it! It doesn't even feel that big any more. I'm tall but not freakishly tall or anything. But it fits my hand and my pockets fine.

KageMaru

I assume those of us in the US with dev accounts on our Nokias would be able to test out Cortana in April. That's cool.

Hoping for this as well. Also really hoping it's true that Jen is lending her voice for the feature.

Will be disappointed if we can't say Cortana and have to say Bing instead.

Magni

It would be mega awesome if there was apis for the devs hook their apps with the hubs... Something like having whatsapp on the messages hub, or my instagram followers showing up in people hub.

I've been asking for this since day 1. You can share a picture on Whatsapp from the Picture hub, why can't you open a conversation in Whatsapp from the People hub?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom