• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3 Update 3| Please be excited

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's the benefit of glance again? I dun get it.

prgVjz2.jpg

Bullza2o

When Glance originally came out, I heard it really drains the battery of the 920. Is this still the case --or was this even true?

KageMaru

Guys how do you shoot good photos with the Lumia 920? I heard it was supposed to have a pretty good camera but all my sample pictures turned out just mediocre. There's a fuckton of different apps for the camera but I don't know I quite understand which to use when. For example the Smart Cam app seems to be only working in well lit condtions as it refuses to use flash.

Is the default camera app supposed to be really terrible? It's like I can't literally take a bad photo with the nokia app, and literally can't take a good one with the default...

Every time I need to take a photo directly from another app i have trouble focusing, even when I try to use the camera button to adjust it.

To answer both of these questions, use Nokia Cam Beta. It's Nokia Pro and Smart cam in one. You can set it as your default camera app too in the camera option. Takes a fraction longer to launch compared to the default camera app but the image quality is better.

Bullza2o

Didn't seem to affect the life of my 920 significantly.
Did you have it on peek, interval, or always on mode?

To answer both of these questions, use Nokia Cam Beta. It's Nokia Pro and Smart cam in one. You can set it as your default camera app too in the camera option. Takes a fraction longer to launch compared to the default camera app but the image quality is better.

I thought there's already a real official Nokia Camera app. I know because recently I found out I had two apps, one beta and one that didn't say beta. I deleted the beta.

KageMaru

thought there's already a real official Nokia Camera app. I know because recently I found out I had two apps, one beta and one that didn't say beta. I deleted the beta.

I think it's similar to the Facebook beta app where new features/updates will be sent to the beta app before being rolled out to the standard app.

dLMN8R

The only time I've seen Peek significantly affect battery life was when my wife put her phone in the outside pocket of her purse, facing out. Whenever her arm swung at her side, it activated it, which meant it was always on :)

hadareud

The Translator
New Samsung "flagship" is apparently going to be announced at MWC.

It should be a very interesting year for WP. 8.1, next gen Nokia devices/first MS devices, Sony hopping aboard, Samsung back in the picture etc.

What is different this time around is that for one the market for WP is a lot bigger than it was with the release of WP8, but that more importantly with the Nokia takeover all the exclusive apps should now also be available for all handsets actually making them viable contenders.

Zeknurn

New Samsung "flagship" is apparently going to be announced at MWC.

It should be a very interesting year for WP. 8.1, next gen Nokia devices/first MS devices, Sony hopping aboard, Samsung back in the picture etc.

What is different this time around is that for one the market for WP is a lot bigger than it was with the release of WP8, but that more importantly with the Nokia takeover all the exclusive apps should now also be available for all handsets actually making them viable contenders.

Ha. We all know that the only reason Samsung puts out a WP is so that they can pay less royalties for Android.

Do we know that?

"Microsoft announced today that it has signed a definitive agreement with Samsung Electronics Co. Ltd., to cross-license the patent portfolios of both companies, providing broad coverage for each company’s products. Under the terms of the agreement, Microsoft will receive royalties for Samsung’s mobile phones and tablets running the Android mobile platform. In addition, the companies agreed to cooperate in the development and marketing of Windows Phone. "

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/news/press/2011/sep11/09-28samsungpr.aspx

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Ha. We all know that the only reason Samsung puts out a WP is so that they can pay less royalties for Android.

I'm ok with that. They've had some useful android feature additions, but the bulk of their software and UI is useless or unappealing to me. I like their screens and cameras, though, so I wouldn't mind having that option on WP.

Samsung could already make the phones more appealing by naming them in line with their Galaxy series. Instead of just "Samsung Ativ S", it should've been "Samsung Ativ S3" back then. Too bad the 1080p phone is just going to be an Galaxy S4, running Windows Phone and being a year too late. All that, because Windows Phone doesn't support the next high-res displays.

Talon

Samsung could already make the phones more appealing by naming them in line with their Galaxy series. Instead of just "Samsung Ativ S", it should've been "Samsung Ativ S3" back then. Too bad the 1080p phone is just going to be an Galaxy S4, running Windows Phone and being a year too late. All that, because Windows Phone doesn't support the next high-res displays.

Please be excited.

n64coder

I don't think websites should use a user agent sniffer to redirect you to a subdomain for mobile viewing. Usually this means that you'll miss half the features and it takes longer to load. If a website is built using mediaqueries it doesn't matter what your user agent string is, the view just adjusts to the width of your screen.

neogaf seems to use a subdomain and it looks really nice on my 620. But it's annoying to go to a website and see that everything is really small on my phone and I have to make it bigger. Maybe the folks with the larger phones 920/1020 don't have this issue? I really like it when I'm on a website that is optimized for mobile devices. It seems that the majority are not.

hadareud

The Translator
"Microsoft announced today that it has signed a definitive agreement with Samsung Electronics Co. Ltd., to cross-license the patent portfolios of both companies, providing broad coverage for each company’s products. Under the terms of the agreement, Microsoft will receive royalties for Samsung’s mobile phones and tablets running the Android mobile platform. In addition, the companies agreed to cooperate in the development and marketing of Windows Phone. "

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/news/press/2011/sep11/09-28samsungpr.aspx

Yeah I remember that, but it doesn't really matter.

They get a discount on their royalties (they still pay plenty either way), if they thought that WP was such a lost cause they'd just pay 10 % more and be done with it. Surely they must think that releasing WP has a long term benefit apart from a royalty discount, otherwise they wouldn't bother.

Developing and releasing phones isn't that cheap if you don't expect any return in sales.

Mario007

Right I downloaded Lumia Black for my Lumia 920 and it shows that I have Lumia Black software. Yet I can't seem to download Nokia Beamer or Nokia Storyteller as it says that I still need a Lumia Black update. Anyone else have similar troubles?
Anyone?

Yeah I remember that, but it doesn't really matter.

They get a discount on their royalties (they still pay plenty either way), if they thought that WP was such a lost cause they'd just pay 10 % more and be done with it. Surely they must think that releasing WP has a long term benefit apart from a royalty discount, otherwise they wouldn't bother.

Developing and releasing phones isn't that cheap if you don't expect any return in sales.
I can't see copies of their Android phones running Windows Phone being that expensive to develop. Samsung has absolutely no ambition to be part of this platform. I'd say they put more resources into Tizen than Windows Phone.

hadareud

The Translator
Maybe you're right, I don't have any insight into how much they spend on what. I don't know how serious they are about Tizen, considering they haven't released a single device and it doesn't look like anything is happening on that front. Still, vanity projects also cost money, so who knows.

The fact is that they are releasing a flagshippy device again a year and a half after the last one and that on the whole I'd say that's a good thing for the platform, especially since the pool of people interested and aware of Windows Phone has grown significantly since October 2012 and with Samsung and Sony releasing new devices, a new version of the Operating System and new Nokia/MS devices coming too that should only improve.

this_guy

Just did a factory reset on my HTC 8x and it only took about 5 minutes. Why can't Nokia phones do the same? On my old Lumia 920 I did two factory resets - one took about 8 hours, and the second took an entire weekend (I thought it bricked).

hadareud

The Translator
There's something wrong with the 920's.

I did a factory reset on my 1020 a couple of weeks ago and it was done in about 5 minutes too.

this_guy

There's something wrong with the 920's.

I did a factory reset on my 1020 a couple of weeks ago and it was done in about 5 minutes too.

That's good to know. I sold the 920 and have the 925 now so hopefully when the time comes it won't give me any trouble.

Maybe you're right, I don't have any insight into how much they spend on what. I don't know how serious they are about Tizen, considering they haven't released a single device and it doesn't look like anything is happening on that front. Still, vanity projects also cost money, so who knows.

The fact is that they are releasing a flagshippy device again a year and a half after the last one and that on the whole I'd say that's a good thing for the platform, especially since the pool of people interested and aware of Windows Phone has grown significantly since October 2012 and with Samsung and Sony releasing new devices, a new version of the Operating System and new Nokia/MS devices coming too that should only improve.

While they haven't released a Tizen phone yet, they're still actively developing the OS and platform. I'd say that's more expensive than doing nothing on the Windows phone side.

And no one is going to see the phone as a flagship, when they release it alongside the Galaxy S5. They also need to market the phone, or it will bomb harder than a Sony 1st party game.

hadareud

The Translator
Wouldn't be the least bit surprised if MS chose to give manufacturers some sort of cash incentives to get them on board. Though it's much more likely that they'll try to tie them up to some sort of timed free OS licensing deal. Maybe even a combination of both.

I'd be very absolutely shocked if the figures that are mentioned weren't pulled straight out of Eldar's arse, ie the source of 99.98% of his information.

derFeef

Those meet people apps always freak me out, but then I never tried them. Maybe I should create a second fb account and give it shot.

Thanks! I didn't find the Nokia beta app, but Pro Camera just updated to Nokia Camera, so I guess it's out of beta?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom