• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3 Update 3| Please be excited

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why doesn't Microsoft fight for Rudy? This man has arguably done more for Windows Phone in the last year than anyone else.

I am not sure what you want them to do if the API holder doesn't allow the app then they are just out of luck (see also Official YouTube app for Windows Phone).

I understand they want to control their brand and such need to control the app but if I have no plan for app for certain platform I would love to have my stuff on there without putting in work. One of the problem with Rudy app however is he often time allow for functions that are not in official app which could be reason for them to deny the access.

Magni

Don't know what they can do. If Tinder don't allow the app, it's their decision.

I feel they could talk to Tindr about him "one of our best developers, can make the app for you blablabla" I'm kinda surprised no big app had contracted him to work on their official app yet (unless I've missed one?)

PG2G

I'm sure he'll work himself up to that. A lot of the apps are already done by third parties like Identity Mine.

I don't think the hacker mentality is a positive for Rudy. He should probably be doing mock ups/concepts and contacting the companies instead of hacking APIs and releasing apps.

hadareud

The Translator
1020 people, which software are you using to edit your raw/dng files?

I downloaded a trial of Lightroom, but the bloody thing keeps crashing as soon as I'm importing pictures (both on W7 and W8.1). I also have zero inclination of giving Adobe any money to install their vulnerability ridden products. The cuntbuckets.

Any advice?

JaggedSac

1020 people, which software are you using to edit your raw/dng files?

I downloaded a trial of Lightroom, but the bloody thing keeps crashing as soon as I'm importing pictures (both on W7 and W8.1). I also have zero inclination of giving Adobe any money to install their vulnerability ridden products. The cuntbuckets.

Any advice?

I use Lightroom. Paint.net probably has some plug-ins for DNG. Same with Gimp. I've heard Digikam as well.

hadareud

The Translator
Cool, thanks. I did get Lighteoom to work in the meantime.

Undecided whether I want to give 60 quid to Adobe for what is a very basic image editor.

DedValve

Banned
I did 2 factory resets when I had the 920. The first time took 8 hours, and the second an entire weekend and I thought it bricked. Just be sure to alternate it on and off the charger. This seems to be a known issue with the 920.

Been doing this to no luck, is my phone screwed?

hadareud

The Translator
Unlikely.

Flash it using the Nokia care suite, should be back and working within 5 or 10 minutes. If you don't know where to download your firmware, let me know your product code (can be found inside the sim try on a little flap that can be pulled out) and I'll download it for you and put it up on Skydrive.

Been doing this to no luck, is my phone screwed?

How long has it been now? Mine ran for 15 hours and I took it to an MS Store. They replaced it with a 925 for free...so it's worth a shot.

Keep in mind, one of the guys I talked to DID seem to know that 920s can take forever/a few days, so they may turn you down. However, my phone shut down during the gear spinning and wouldn't charge back up very quickly, so they considered it "dead" and replaced it with a 925. They said they didn't carry the 920 at their store.

I MIGHT have been able to get away with a 1020 or 1520, as I told them I'd bought the 920 off contract (which was true) so they wanted to give me something of equal value, but I ended up with the 925.

DedValve

Banned
How long has it been now? Mine ran for 15 hours and I took it to an MS Store. They replaced it with a 925 for free...so it's worth a shot.

Keep in mind, one of the guys I talked to DID seem to know that 920s can take forever/a few days, so they may turn you down. However, my phone shut down during the gear spinning and wouldn't charge back up very quickly, so they considered it "dead" and replaced it with a 925. They said they didn't carry the 920 at their store.

I MIGHT have been able to get away with a 1020 or 1520, as I told them I'd bought the 920 off contract (which was true) so they wanted to give me something of equal value, but I ended up with the 925.

I've had this phone for a few months maybe a year.

Thanks Hadreud, I'll check it now

I've had this phone for a few months maybe a year.

Thanks Hadreud, I'll check it now

I bought mine launch day/week (was that October 2012?), so I had mine for a bit over a year.

I think the 920 is a good phone, but I also think it served as a testbed for a lot of their technology and overall is a bit more "wonky" than their latest models. Just my opinion--I loved mine, but it had issues.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I bought mine launch day/week (was that October 2012?), so I had mine for a bit over a year.

I think the 920 is a good phone, but I also think it served as a testbed for a lot of their technology and overall is a bit more "wonky" than their latest models. Just my opinion--I loved mine, but it had issues.

Yeah, it is a very good phone, but I have had issues and my nephew has had problems with his as well. When I got mine repaired they fixed the dust in the FFC problem.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Whats the best Podcast app? I've been using free iPodcast and it's okay but you can only subscribe to three for the free version.

Is there a better free or paid app?

Man the hardware is great but I have been having all kinds of software issues with the 1520. The screen goes into oversaturated sunlight mode indoors, sometimes the whole screen goes negative, volume controls stop doing anything, and the worst is the touchscreen will be unresponsive and read swipes as taps. So many links clicked when I'm just trying to scroll down...

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Man the hardware is great but I have been having all kinds of software issues with the 1520. The screen goes into oversaturated sunlight mode indoors, sometimes the whole screen goes negative, volume controls stop doing anything, and the worst is the touchscreen will be unresponsive and read swipes as taps. So many links clicked when I'm just trying to scroll down...

I've had those same issues with my 1020, albeit infrequently. The volume thing seems related to Bluetooth.

hadareud

The Translator
Good update to Tapatalk today.

Incidentally, another forum I go to has Tapatalk enabled and people were complaining bitterly about recent updates on Android and iOS. I gave it a go on my old Desire HD and I can confirm that the WP version is now superior. Mostly because it actually works.

What the hell happened to Nokia's Treasure Tag?

h0gYh3H.jpg

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I honestly don't think anyone can go wrong when picking any of the three major mobile platforms. If you are an app junkie, then you already have a platform of choice, so that's irrelevant in terms of app selection. When people ask me what phone to buy, I ask them about their current tech ecosystem and their priorities with their phone before recommending something.

Its so similar that I'm amused whenever a poster on GAF or elsewhere says they can't understand how someone could pick iPhone over android, or windows phone over the other two.

Its very easy for me to understand why people would prefer one over the others, or remain agnostic and jump from platform to platform, as I have done in the past.

kazinova

I honestly don't think anyone can go wrong when picking any of the three major mobile platforms. If you are an app junkie, then you already have a platform of choice, so that's irrelevant in terms of app selection. When people ask me what phone to buy, I ask them about their current tech ecosystem and their priorities with their phone before recommending something.

Its so similar that I'm amused whenever a poster on GAF or elsewhere says they can't understand how someone could pick iPhone over android, or windows phone over the other two.

Its very easy for me to understand why people would prefer one over the others, or remain agnostic and jump from platform to platform, as I have done in the past.

Pick a side, flip flopper!

I switch, too, just not as frequently.

NES, Genesis, N64, PS2, X360...

Samsung, iPhone, WP...

Klocker

They don't want a fast phone. They want a quad-core phone. They don't want a good-looking display, they want a 1080p display. They don't want a battery that lasts X hours, they want a X mAh battery

that's awesome...

sillyness

Fjolle

I wish I could be exited for one of the OSes.. Right now I hate them all.

Maybe I should try WP8, and see if it's better than 7.8.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
MUCH better. Its surprising because they seem so similar, but when I go back to a 7.x device, it feels so much worse. Aside from Zune, everything is better and with more options on wp8.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I've only owned a Nokia since wp8, so......

edit: here are some examples of the top of my head

-full RES picture backup to skydrive

-tighter Xbox music integration with win8

-The Nokia stuff like glance

-faster loading of 3rd party apps (probably hardware related)

dLMN8R

I still have my Samsung Focus, and the couple times I loaded it up to check something, I was absolutely astounded at how terrible the start screen looks. The lack of tile sizes, the gutter on the right, it looks AWFUL. I love the customization on my 920 :)

Is there a list where I can check some apps known to use too much battery life when in background? My battery is not lasting very much...

Schlep

It would be really nice if Nokia or Verizon would give a release date/pricing for the Icon. Not sure why it's such a big secret. I have an 8X work phone I'd love to replace.

I still have my Samsung Focus, and the couple times I loaded it up to check something, I was absolutely astounded at how terrible the start screen looks. The lack of tile sizes, the gutter on the right, it looks AWFUL. I love the customization on my 920 :)

He has 7.8 and with that the same home screen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom