• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3 Update 3| Please be excited

Status
Not open for further replies.

hwalker84

It maybe time to factory reset my 1020. Something is draining the hell out of my battery. One of my Skydrive albums is stuck with 1 picture. It's times like this I wish we could take a full image backup.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I wonder if its some service on the backend for a built in or third party app because my phone battery is pretty bad too. I was chalking it up to my local network, but with all the complaints here, there must be something bigger going on.

5 hours after charging my phone to capacity, its down to 49%. Unacceptable.

derFeef

I had battery problems a few days ago as well after the update, hm.
Something was draining it like crazy - went warm without usage even.

I've only owned a Nokia since wp8, so......

edit: here are some examples of the top of my head

-full RES picture backup to skydrive

-tighter Xbox music integration with win8

-The Nokia stuff like glance

-faster loading of 3rd party apps (probably hardware related)

That is Not much better, IMO. Windows Phone has been quite stagnant, actually. Even the design is aging.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I would like to see a bit of a design refresh in the hubs, mail and calendar apps. Probably have to wait for WP9 though :(

So there was this app called Easy taxi, it's for calling taxis right on the phone. I don't know why it needed to run in the background, but when I blocked it and marked to allow it to run when I opened the app again it immediately allowed it to run again, as opposed to every other app, where it stays blocked until I actually open it.

So I'll try and see if my battery improves now :p

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
That is Not much better, IMO. Windows Phone has been quite stagnant, actually. Even the design is aging.

These things are huge for someone on the platform day to day, it just adds up to a better overall experience. Maybe the dual core hardware has more to do with it than the software changes, who knows. The design definitely needs an update, it was my biggest problem with the 1520, you can tell the OS isn't fully optimized for a large screen. Apple took bold steps, time for an MS refresh. Although often hideous, I like the overall "liveliness" of ios7.

hadareud

The Translator
I don't think UI is getting stale visually - refinements and tweaks are needed, nothing too major visually imo.

Tiles should be more interactive, you should be able to press different parts of the tile for different things (changing settings, viewing/opening individual things etc.), quick settings, more options, more features - those sort of things would make the UI feel more alive and would be a big improvement to how modern the UI feels.

Settings need a massive upgrade, the list right now is a bloody mess. The store needs to be upgraded in all aspects, right now it's poor (same for the music store). Major updates to the main apps are needed (mail, calendar, skype, internet explorer, music) to bring them in line with their W8 counterparts and in some cases hopefully improve on them.

All of that will make a big difference if they are paired with minor visual tweaks where they make sense. In general it's a fantastic UI, clean, simple, useful. Don't try to improve on things that don't need improving, just refine them. Otherwise you'll end up making everything worse.

dLMN8R

People are used to moderate/major software updates every 12 months. The Windows Phone team decided to go with 18 months this time around. It means an extra 6 months before you start hearing about anything new, which feels really look. But 50% more development time also generally translates to more than 50% more goodness in new features.

Cipherr

They don't want a fast phone. They want a quad-core phone. They don't want a good-looking display, they want a 1080p display. They don't want a battery that lasts X hours, they want a X mAh battery

that's awesome...

sillyness

In regards to the display and SoC; thats me to a tee. I dont find it silly at all. I don't want a 'good looking display' because something like that is subjective. If I tell someone to just buy me a phone with a "good looking display" how many of them will come back to me with a crappy pentile OLED screen with shitloads of saturation because "the colors just pop and look soooooo purdy!!11"?

I reckon a lot... I know the differences between the different display types, so I want an RGB LCD display at the moment, something with accurate colors and great brightness, glass with as little glare as possible while still being durable. I also pay attention to the different SoC's that are released, and how they perform in general in terms of gaming and battery life.

That I have those preferences and pay attention to those things doesn't seem silly to me at all. Its pretty much par for the course for technophiles. If people find THAT odd, I would hate to see what they would do when its time for me to build a new PC....

zedge

That doesn't make sense. Live tiles are basically widgets.

Hmm not really. Many widgets have functions on them allowing you to switch tracks, play, pause etc. Also some widgets for news or email allow you to scroll through the messages or articles without opening the app, or even reply from the widget etc. Live tiles offer no such function.

stktt

Banned
I don't find the design stale at all It's probably my favorite thing about the platform. There are definitely specific applications that need more functionality or some tweaks, but that's something I have to assume will arrive with 8.1.

toff74

Still no update for the Lumia 920 on EE.

You know what gets me though about the 'phone update'?

When it gives the update status it actually says 'your phone is up to date' IT ISNT!!!!!!!

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Aren't rotation lock and app closing from the multi task screen also a part of update 3? Those are two of the most requested features, small as they seem, from even folks in these threads.

Nokia also says that the new storyteller and beamer app with screen sharing is only for Black, although I'm not sure if folks got the apps installed without the update. Ditto for the combined Nokia camera app. I've had Black for a while now, so I can't remember.

hadareud

The Translator
GDR1

• Messaging improvements. A great messaging experience is now even better. You can now add multiple recipients at the same time when you send a text message and automatically save unsent text messages as drafts. You can even edit received text messages before you forward them.
  • Text replies to incoming calls. Can't take a call? Now you can send a prewritten text reply to a caller directly from the call answer screen. It's a nice way to let people know that you're not ignoring them.
  • Internet Explorer improvements. You can now change your settings to prevent pictures from downloading automatically—an easy way to help keep data usage low. You can also delete selected sites from your browsing history and leave the rest intact.
  • Wi-Fi connectivity. Got a favorite Wi-Fi network? Windows Phone 8 will now prioritize Wi-Fi connections based on your connection history.
  • Other improvements. Includes many other improvements to Windows Phone.

GDR2

• Data Sense: As the era of unlimited cellular data plans fades, it’s more important than ever to be smart about how you use your smartphone. That’s where Data Sense comes in. The feature—previously available only to Verizon Wireless customers—helps you stay on top of your phone's data usage (including keeping track of which apps use the most data) and set a limit based on your data plan. Data Sense also has the ability to compress web page data as you browse, so you can surf up to 45 percent more on the same data plan with the feature turned on. How to use Data Sense. The new update brings Data Sense support to more Windows Phones, and last I heard a number of carriers around the world were planning to offer it on their networks.
  • FM Radio: Did you know Windows Phone can double as a portable radio? By popular request, we’ve brought back the FM radio feature from Windows Phone 7. To use it, tap Music + Videos, then flick to Collection. Not all Windows Phones support FM radio. But if yours does, you’ll see the Radio menu option here after you’ve installed the new update. How to use FM radio.
  • Camera: The update includes several tweaks that will please photographers. It improves what you see when zooming in on high-res photos in the viewfinder. On certain phone models, you also now have the option of changing which photo app opens when you press the Camera button. For example, on the Nokia Lumia 1020, you now have the choice of using the Camera button to launch the Nokia Pro Camera app or Microsoft’s default Camera app (Nokia’s new Amber update also brings this option to the Lumia 920 and other models.)
  • Voicemail, Group messaging: Do you get voicemail messages delivered as email attachments? In this update we added support for additional audio codecs so messages sent as .wav files play correctly. There’s also new support for group messaging on Verizon Wireless. So when you text a bunch of people you can keep replies on one thread. To turn this option on, go to Settings > Applications > Messaging. Learn more.

Fixes

• Google support: With this new update, Windows Phone 8 now supports connecting to Google services via the CalDAV and CardDAV protocols. For most people, this just means that Gmail and other popular Google services will just keep working on your phone exactly as you’d expect. For more background on this, see my blog post from earlier this year.
  • "Other” storage: Curious what’s taking up space on your phone? Go to Settings>Phone Storage and tap the colored bar.
  • Xbox Music: A big chunk of the work in the latest update was devoted to making music better on your phone. For starters, we made several improvements in how Windows Phone works with your Xbox Music cloud collection. We fixed a bug that caused duplicate songs to appear on phones when users copied over a song from their PC that also exists in their cloud collection. (To remove existing dupes on your phone, you’ll need to update your PC companion app, then delete and resync your music. Learn more.). We now sync cloud collection to the Music+Videos Hub more frequently, so tweaks you make on the PC are reflected more quickly on the phone. We made it easier to select multiple—or all songs—from cloud-based playlists and download them to your phone
  • Bluetooth and more: The team fixed plenty of Bluetooth issues in the new update, mostly related to problems with audio cutting out and other quality glitches. Some of these fixes were model-specific and aimed at 2011 Ford F150s, 2012 Range Rovers, and the Porsche Cayenne, just to name a few.
  • New Hardware (1020 etc)

Amber

• Improved image processing: The update brings significantly improved algorithms that offer better noise reduction, colour reproduction, exposure control and autofocus to every phone across the Lumia range. On the Lumia 920, controls to adjust the ISO settings of the camera from 800 to 3200 allow for even better low light performance.
  • Nokia Smart Camera: Debuted on the Nokia Lumia 925, this new camera app is ideal for taking pictures involving people and movement. Starting today, you will be able to get the app from the Store after downloading Lumia Amber to your phone.
  • Nokia Glance Screen: Perhaps one of the features that has been most requested on Nokia Lumia smartphones. Nokia Glance Screen brings a clock to your screen when the phone is inactive, along with indicators to show the battery level when running on a low battery or the phone is charging, and whether your phone is set to ‘silent’.
  • Flip to silence and double-tap to wake: Two favourite features from older Nokia phones that users have asked for. Flipping the phone over is a great and easy way to mute an incoming call. Double tapping the screen is something many people prefer to using the unlock key. Both of them are optional in case you’re worried about having accidents – in our experience, though, that never happens.
  • Storage Check and faster map updates: You may have already picked this up through another update. We wrote about it here. Briefly, if you’re running out of space on your phone and you want to free some up, you can find out the biggest culprits and deal with them (perhaps you never delete your photos, despite uploading them to SkyDrive, for example).

GDR 3

• Support for bigger, higher-resolution screens: So the new update paves the way for future Windows Phone devices with 5- and 6-inch touch screens. The larger, 1080p HD displays on these devices will make Windows Phone even more personal—for example by sporting jumbo-sized Start screens with room for six Live Tiles across instead of four.
  • More powerful hardware: In addition to larger screens, Update 3 will also bring support for the Qualcomm Snapdragon 800 quad-core processor. The added horsepower that this chip delivers should make our already-fluid operating system perform even better.
  • Driving Mode: A new feature called Driving Mode helps you get from point A to point B with fewer distractions. Working with a connected Bluetooth device, Driving Mode is designed to limit notifications on the lock screen—including texts, calls, and quick status alerts—until you’re safely parked.
  • New accessibility features: Another highlight of the new update is Mobile Accessibility for Windows Phone 8, which isn’t a single feature but a suite of apps designed to make Windows Phone easier to see, hear, and use. The apps, which include a screen reader, make it easier for blind and visually impaired users to manage calls and contacts, send texts and emails, browse the web, make Skype and Lync calls, and hear notifications like alarms, calendar events, and low-battery warnings.
  • Improved Internet Sharing: Many of you are familiar with the Internet Sharing feature, which turns Windows Phone 8 into a mobile hotspot by sharing your cellular data connection over Wi-Fi.
  • More useful ringtones: With Update 3, you can use custom ringtones for more things—including instant messages, emails, voicemails, and reminders. You can also assign custom ringtones to contacts for text messages, so you'll know who's texting you without even looking.
  • No more twist and shout: Does your screen keep spinning when you’re trying to read emails in bed? Use the new rotation lock option to keep it fixed in place.
  • Better storage management: New storage settings make it easier to free up space on your phone and manage temporary files. A new category view shows what's taking up space at a glance.
  • Easily close apps: Now you can use the App switcher to quickly close apps when you're finished with them.
  • Wi-Fi access out of the box: You can now connect to Wi-Fi during phone set up, so you can start conserving cellular data right out of the box.
  • Better Bluetooth: The team made a bunch of improvements to improve connection quality for Bluetooth accessories.
  • Announcing the Developer Preview Program

Black

• Glance Screen: New Color choices
  • Glance Screen: Notifications
  • Glance Screen: Pedometer, custom text, calendar
  • RAW camera support
  • New camera algorithms
  • Bluetooth 4.0 LE
  • New Apps: Nokia Camera, Storyteller, Beamer and App folders

Blackhead

Redarse
So... it's been a while since I asked this question: is there a way to transfer text messages archive from windows phone to android and/or iOS?

hadareud

The Translator
No matter how you look at it and how much you want to dismiss the amount of updates and new features since WP8 was released, the list of improvements and new features is big.

Catch up releases and fixes to stuff that shouldn't have been broken in the first place? Sure. But also quite a bit of stuff that no other platform can offer.

And fixes and catch up features are still important, I would say. And it's not like other platforms don't have and need those either.

Let's see whether WP8.1 is the big release we're all hoping for, but the groundwork has been done, no doubt about it.

So... it's been a while since I asked this question: is there a way to transfer text messages archive from windows phone to android and/or iOS?

I don't think so.

It's not on the list.

hwalker84

No matter how you look at it and how much you want to dismiss the amount of updates and new features since WP8 was released, the list of improvements and new features is big.

Catch up releases and fixes to stuff that shouldn't have been broken in the first place? Sure. But also quite a bit of stuff that no other platform can offer.

And fixes and catch up features are still important, I would say. And it's not like other platforms don't have and need those either.

Let's see whether WP8.1 is the big release we're all hoping for, but the groundwork has been done, no doubt about it.

I don't think so.

It's not on the list.

I personally don't think it's that big at all. Remove the Nokia updates and what significant do you have?

kazinova

I personally don't think it's that big at all. Remove the Nokia updates and what significant do you have?

Radio, they did take that out just to add it back in, but'ya'know.

Man, I'm a super big grump lately, but I need to see something big before the fall or come October I'll be moving to whatever Android device has the best camera available.

hadareud

The Translator
Quite a few things I would say. New features like Data Sense and a lot of catch up features that would otherwise have made 8.1 to be watered down.

The thing is also that for 90% of people there is no removing of Nokia and soon that applies to a 100%.

hwalker84

Quite a few things I would say. New features like Data Sense and a lot of catch up features that would otherwise have made 8.1 to be watered down.

The thing is also that for 90% of people there is no removing of Nokia and soon that applies to a 100%.

Whats this Data Sense thingy you speak of :( AT&T here.

That's how Nokia promotes the 1320.

EEH5dDn.jpg

The future of Windows Phone. Can't wait.

Data Sense has been build into Android since 4.0.

Magni

My 521 is currently en route to my friend's office in NYC, can't wait to get it when I land Sunday! (hoping my flight doesn't get canceled :/)

Been on WP7 since October 2010 with some breaks here and there, can't wait to say goodbye to my dying Omnia 7.

That's how Nokia promotes the 1320.

http://i.imgur.com/barf.jpg[IMG]

The future of Windows Phone. Can't wait.[/QUOTE]

Gotta show there's tons of apps on WP!

hadareud

The Translator
Data Sense has been build into Android since 4.0.

Nah. If I want a data counter, I can use my phone providers app. Or download one of the countless counters from the Android store.

That doesn't automatically compress the data if I'm close to my limit or more importantly for me automatically compresses data when I'm roaming abroad. Without that functionality it would be absolutely useless.

MCD

http://winsupersite.com/windows-8/windows-81-update-1-preview-now-more-integration
My Windows Weekly co-host Mary Jo Foley has been reporting for some time that Update 1 is designed, at least in part, as a companion release to Windows Phone 8.1, which will be released at the same time in very early April. And that part of the point of this release is to bring those two currently-separate OSes more closely together, both technically and functionally.

Once again, the WP team getting shafted because of Windows or some other team.

hadareud

The Translator
Early April would be great news.

I've been fearing a June release. Early April is 2 months from now, we can survive until then.

hwalker84

Nah. If I want a data counter, I can use my phone providers app. Or download one of the countless counters from the Android store.

That doesn't automatically compress the data if I'm close to my limit or more importantly for me automatically compresses data when I'm roaming abroad. Without that functionality it would be absolutely useless.

It's not useless. It could be vital in seeing what apps are using an unusual amount of data. I really liked the app that released on WP7 but unfortunately with AT&T I have nothing like it. Those provider apps don't work on corporate phones.

hadareud

The Translator
I meant on Android, since there's already apps that do that there anyway.

On WP there aren't, so Data Sense is vital in that regard too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom