• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3 Update 3| Please be excited

Status
Not open for further replies.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I want windows phone 8.1 equally as much as I want new Nokia hardware. I adore my 1020 but I'm getting an itch for new hardware and the 1520 isn't doing enough to lure me.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I' really anxious for 8.1. Hardware wise I'm still good, maybe in the Fall. I hope Telus gets the next few flagships from Nokia/MS since I'm looking to switch carriers. Almost needed a phone sooner, I accidently knocked coffee over my phone and some work papers. Seems to be fine thankfully.

Fine, guys, I'll let you have Data Sense as magnificent standout feature, but other than that, Windows Phone 8.0 to 8.0.3 has been a total disappointment, compared to the jump the platform made with Mango. And mango came out in Summer 2011. That is a long, long time. I still remember mentioning how boring Mango was few weeks after release, because most of us already had the beta on our phones, before it went RTM. We craved the next big release and 8.0 was just so disappointing.

Luckily, 8.1 is another mango release.

Doffen

I want windows phone 8.1 equally as much as I want new Nokia hardware. I adore my 1020 but I'm getting an itch for new hardware and the 1520 isn't doing enough to lure me.

Imagine how I feel about my 920. It's so old. I feel shame when I use it. Like going on date with someones grandmother.

zedge

Er, it's just a wrapper for all the mobile sites?

And the mobile site for google maps is terrible on Windows Phone. Pinch-zoom is unusable.

I know but it works, especially G+ which has been crap and broken in every other app I tried. :shrug

Ugh.. why can't MS and Google just kiss and make up.. I want proper apps.

Reading about reboot bug in iOS 7 make me appreciate that at least Microsoft and Nokia fix the issue. Doesn't excuse that they release product like that but at least they were on top of it.

As for all the patch we are getting, I am pretty happy with the speed and the added functionality even if some of them were adding back in things that got removed.

On another note, when can we get full IE like on Windows 8, I am getting so use to swipe to next page since I have been using Windows 8 tablet a lot lately. I also miss just do everything in the browser by having a fully functioning IE.

hwalker84

Fine, guys, I'll let you have Data Sense as magnificent standout feature, but other than that, Windows Phone 8.0 to 8.0.3 has been a total disappointment, compared to the jump the platform made with Mango. And mango came out in Summer 2011. That is a long, long time. I still remember mentioning how boring Mango was few weeks after release, because most of us already had the beta on our phones, before it went RTM. We craved the next big release and 8.0 was just so disappointing.

Completely agree

Luckily, 8.1 is another mango release.
We can't be sure of that only hope.

Razdek

Banned
Reading about reboot bug in iOS 7 make me appreciate that at least Microsoft and Nokia fix the issue. Doesn't excuse that they release product like that but at least they were on top of it.

As for all the patch we are getting, I am pretty happy with the speed and the added functionality even if some of them were adding back in things that got removed.

On another note, when can we get full IE like on Windows 8, I am getting so use to swipe to next page since I have been using Windows 8 tablet a lot lately. I also miss just do everything in the browser by having a fully functioning IE.

My 520 randomly reboots quite often but I'm not concerned since I use it only as a media device. I still think IE 11 on WP is a terrible browser and wished there were more options in the store.

MarkusRJR

So after spending a week or two trying to find a new android phone to purchase I came up with nothing. I was planning on switching but basically every phone in the price range I wanted lacked what I wanted most (great battery life and storage options). Then today my Ativ S's screen finally went and died. It was flickering off every now and then randomly but now it just turns off a few seconds after being turned on.

My carrier (Telus) currently carries the Lumia 625 ($300) and the 1020 ($700). I read up reviews and they both have great battery life and decent storage options (I have like 20gb of music which I carry on me). Which do you guys recommend I pick up? I'm leaning towards the 625, mainly due to price, but there's only 4.85g internal storage after the OS. Whichever phone has to last me two years, since that's when my contract ends.

MCD

Reddit app is so good it made me a user in seconds.

And I never liked reddit because it looked confusing to me on the web.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
So after spending a week or two trying to find a new android phone to purchase I came up with nothing. I was planning on switching but basically every phone in the price range I wanted lacked what I wanted most (great battery life and storage options). Then today my Ativ S's screen finally went and died. It was flickering off every now and then randomly but now it just turns off a few seconds after being turned on.

My carrier (Telus) currently carries the Lumia 625 ($300) and the 1020 ($700). I read up reviews and they both have great battery life and decent storage options (I have like 20gb of music which I carry on me). Which do you guys recommend I pick up? I'm leaning towards the 625, mainly due to price, but there's only 4.85g internal storage after the OS. Whichever phone has to last me two years, since that's when my contract ends.

Absolutely the 1020. Better everything. The 1020 has 32gb, so hopefully that will do.

MarkusRJR

Absolutely the 1020. Better everything. The 1020 has 32gb, so hopefully that will do.
Is it worth the $400 extra though? My only real concern is that I won't get the 8.1 update.

I'm not really into photography so I'm basically paying for just the extra memory, oleophobic coating on the screen, and the higher specs.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Is it worth the $400 extra though? My only real concern is that I won't get the 8.1 update.

I'm not really into photography so I'm basically paying for just the extra memory, oleophobic coating on the screen, and the higher specs.

Every phone will get 8.1 so you don't need to worry about that. Are buying it outright?

MarkusRJR

Every phone will get 8.1 so you don't need to worry about that. Are buying it outright?
Yeah, which is why $400 extra is a lot to splurge, especially when I'm trying to save for school. My Ativ S has slowly been dying over the course of two months. Not impressed with Samsung's build quality. The volume buttons half broke, then the screen started flickering off until it just won't stay on more than a few seconds.

I'm mainly just worried about other data, the 8.1 update, and Podcast Lounge (which caches data and can have massive file sizes).

I' really anxious for 8.1. Hardware wise I'm still good, maybe in the Fall. I hope Telus gets the next few flagships from Nokia/MS since I'm looking to switch carriers. Almost needed a phone sooner, I accidently knocked coffee over my phone and some work papers. Seems to be fine thankfully.

I just hope that with 8.1, Nokia does a True Lumia 920 successor. Keep all the features, bump the screen to 1080p (prefer 4.5", but 5" maximum if they do), ensure that Wireless Charging is built in without requiring a case to use.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
1520 or 1020? Have the opportunity to upgrade from my 920.

The imaging quality of the 1020 is tempting, and as I'm used to the size of my 920 that seems a logical choice. But the camera on the 1520 looks no slouch, and the battery life will be much better.

My only pause on the 1520 is the physical size - is it usable as a daily phone? Will it fit in a jeans pocket?

edit: Wait - whats this 'icon'? Sounds like a 1520 in a 1020 size shell? That seems ideal, when is it due out?

1520 or 1020? Have the opportunity to upgrade from my 920.

The imaging quality of the 1020 is tempting, and as I'm used to the size of my 920 that seems a logical choice. But the camera on the 1520 looks no slouch, and the battery life will be much better.

My only pause on the 1520 is the physical size - is it usable as a daily phone? Will it fit in a jeans pocket?

edit: Wait - whats this 'icon'? Sounds like a 1520 in a 1020 size shell? That seems ideal, when is it due out?

I don't have the banner ready, but it's basically a Lumia 1520 with a 5" screen. Other than that, it got the same camera, same screen resolution, SoC and RAM. The problem is that it's Verizon exclusive.

m5Z9M6K.jpg

hadareud

The Translator
8.2 million, pretty bloody bad.

I didn't expect that, I thought sales would level out, but only in Q1.

The lack of a new flagship model hurt them, and I have a distinct feeling that the 525 & 625 are flops. They are just too bloody big, especially when you consider the screen resolution.

Q1 will be even worse, MS better get their shit together with 8.1 and the next generation of devices.

Magni

I had an interview recently with a company that among other things has a pretty big iOS/Android app. At the end of the interview I asked them if they were planning on expanding to other platforms. Apparently MS offered them $100k to develop a WP app, but they said no, because it'd cost them more than that to develop and support such an app for "no one" (this is currently a very US-centric app), and besides, "it's Microsoft". Still a ways to go :/

Wait $300 for a 625, AND it's on contract? I bought my grandmother a 620 last year for 200€ off-contract :/

hadareud

The Translator
Speaking of Android.

I just had a chat with a guy in my team who went for a HTC One instead of the Lumia 1020 because of the Google integration. Fair enough of course, his main reason was that we're using Google Apps mail at work (which of course works fine on WP, but whatever).

Another team member overheard our conversation and said that the calendar didn't work on her HTC One. So I had a quick look and it turned out she'd set it up as a Gmail account (with imap) and not as a Google account. So I set it up for her and she was happy.

The guy I spoke to was getting suspiciously quiet, so I asked him what was up. Turns out he did the same thing, so he didn't have any calendar or contact integration.

Amazing.

I need to hire new people.

hwalker84

Ended up uninstalling Xbox Music. Horrible app.

1. It's Slower than the built in App
  2. It doesn't recognize Album Art
  3. It trys to add its own organization to your music
  4. It screws up the organization of the music in the default app

Razdek

Banned

Yea it's a piece of crap and I couldn't get my play lists to sync in that app even though my play lists synced on my Surface, Xbox One, Android phone. Not to mention the app is so slow on a 520. WTF MS?

ElNino

The only times I've used the app is when I want to add music to my collection or playlists on the phone, but I use the native app for playback.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, which is why $400 extra is a lot to splurge, especially when I'm trying to save for school. My Ativ S has slowly been dying over the course of two months. Not impressed with Samsung's build quality. The volume buttons half broke, then the screen started flickering off until it just won't stay on more than a few seconds.

I'm mainly just worried about other data, the 8.1 update, and Podcast Lounge (which caches data and can have massive file sizes).

You can get the 620 prepaid (TELUS) at Best Buy for $100. Don't think you will get a better deal than that if you are looking to save money. Get a big microSD card and you will be good to go.

KageMaru

The lack of any major OS update, late on releasing new high and low end hardware in limited markets, it's not surprising they sold as much as they did. They have not been aggressive enough IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom