• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3 Update 3| Please be excited

Status
Not open for further replies.

maeh2k

My father just got his new Lumia 1020. Too bad he couldn't have waited another couple of months for this year's phones (the camera is a bit wasted on him).
He'd probably be just as happy with an HTC 8X which is also a bit more pocketable and a lot cheaper, but with carrier contracts there's often just no point in getting a 'good enough' phone when you are already paying for a 400+ Euro phone.

Now I have to look for a decent case that's going to protect the phone well.

My father just got his new Lumia 1020. Too bad he couldn't have waited another couple of months for this year's phones (the camera is a bit wasted on him).
He'd probably be just as happy with an HTC 8X which is also a bit more pocketable and a lot cheaper, but with carrier contracts there's often just no point in getting a 'good enough' phone when you are already paying for a 400+ Euro phone.

Now I have to look for a decent case that's going to protect the phone well.

I assume you are not in the US, 1020 is currently free on Att. I am getting one for my wife, between 1020 and 925, I would rather get her 1020. She actually has been kind of jealous of the camera on my 1020.

maeh2k

I assume you are not in the US, 1020 is currently free on Att. I am getting one for my wife, between 1020 and 925, I would rather get her 1020. She actually has been kind of jealous of the camera on my 1020.

To clarify, he didn't have to hand over the 400+ Euros for the phone. I think he only paid <100 Euros. But the actual cost of the device is hidden in the monthly payments. You are still paying the full price of the device over the course of two years.

To clarify, he didn't have to hand over the 400+ Euros for the phone. I think he only paid <100 Euros. But the actual cost of the device is hidden in the monthly payments. You are still paying the full price of the device over the course of two years.
Same here, I think 1020 would have better resale value, but really best phone to get on contract is iPhone. I think AT&T also doing discount on 1520 both the 16 and 32 gb.

maeh2k

It's not there. The app is updated and has the recently added 'find my car' feature, but there's no 'my commute'. Could it be that they removed it for Germany?
When I slide up the tiles at the bottom, there are nine tiles and the bottom right one is empty.

Edit: or does the phone maybe have to 'learn' the commute and actually have to have been in both places or something? It should still work in Germany according to Nokia's list of supported countries.

MCD

It's not there. The app is updated and has the recently added 'find my car' feature, but there's no 'my commute'. Could it be that they removed it for Germany?
When I slide up the tiles at the bottom, there are nine tiles and the bottom right one is empty.

Can you switch region to US/UK, download from there and try again?

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Grabbed a win8 phone finally to complement my other gear/metro hardon. Is there any reason IE doesn't have swipe to go back/forward? It's the only reason I'm using slow as shit UC over blazing fast IE.

hwalker84

Grabbed a win8 phone finally to complement my other gear/metro hardon. Is there any reason IE doesn't have swipe to go back/forward? It's the only reason I'm using slow as shit UC over blazing fast IE.

Because its Windows Phone 8 (The 8th version of the Windows Phone OS) not Windows 8 Phone (Windows 8 stripped down to a phone).

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
My fault. Clearly I wandered into some taboo trap that only the initiated would know to avoid. I'll cry about my missing features and like it.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
My fault. Clearly I wandered into some taboo trap that only the initiated would know to avoid. I'll cry about my missing features and like it.

His explanation was excellent in helping you properly understand the OS as it is now. MS is unifying the phone and PC OS, and hopefully bring about more shared features, but for now you should think about it from the perspective above, which is the correct terminology.

I'm an expert

I swear it was just my personal abbreviation for the phone line and not some underlying perception I have about MS' approach to each of their OSes (though I need metro in my life in every way possible).

It's also strange a dumb third party app has swipe but not the actual bundled browser.

hwalker84

I swear it was just my personal abbreviation for the phone line and not some underlying perception I have about MS' approach to each of their OSes (though I need metro in my life in every way possible).

It's also strange a dumb third party app has swipe but not the actual bundled browser.
I wasn't attacking you and I agree I needs me swipe!!! I try it all the time when I move from my Surface to my 1020.

I'm an expert

I wasn't attacking you and I agree I needs me swipe!!! I try it all the time when I move from my Surface to my 1020.

Nah lol I was just joking around too. I'm just saying it was my only real "wtf" moment with the phone. Especially cause UC had it. The back button thing doesn't even bother me.. but yo.. swipe!!

hankster

Edit: or does the phone maybe have to 'learn' the commute and actually have to have been in both places or something? It should still work in Germany according to Nokia's list of supported countries.
Do you have your home and work addresses saved?

Daria

Is there any WP8 devices out there that are on par to my iPhone and will work with Verizon? I've been looking but it seems every LTE phone doesn't support VZW bands or another reason.

Same goes for Straight Talk compatible phone for the gf. Currently using an iPhone 4 and it's showing some age so anything that's mid range would be ok. I've been looking at the 920, 925, 520 just recently but don't really know how well they hold up.

Is there any WP8 devices out there that are on par to my iPhone and will work with Verizon? I've been looking but it seems every LTE phone doesn't support VZW bands or another reason.

Same goes for Straight Talk compatible phone for the gf. Currently using an iPhone 4 and it's showing some age so anything that's mid range would be ok. I've been looking at the 920, 925, 520 just recently but don't really know how well they hold up.

The Lumia 928 would be for you. There's also the new Lumia Icon coming. It's been leaked everywhere, but it still has no date. It was supposed to be announced at CES, but it still hasn't.

Doffen

Where is the Beats Music app? Thurrott made me interested to try it.

mBClNJt.png

dLMN8R

Belfiore is in charge of IE now...don't expect much work...

From the inside, I expect the opposite.

Look at it this way. Belfiore has some fantastic leadership and design skills. Windows Phone as it is, is beautiful, functional, and intuitive. But what's held back the release of that work is the carriers and complexities with how phone hardware differs from PC hardware.

Now Belfiore is in charge of IE and Windows 8.1. Both of which can basically be updated whenever with no one saying "no".

From the inside, I expect the opposite.

Look at it this way. Belfiore has some fantastic leadership and design skills. Windows Phone as it is, is beautiful, functional, and intuitive. But what's held back the release of that work is the carriers and complexities with how phone hardware differs from PC hardware.

Now Belfiore is in charge of IE and Windows 8.1. Both of which can basically be updated whenever with no one saying "no".

One of the things I hope comes from MS taking over Nokia devices is MS flexing a little more muscle with the carriers, especially the US ones. Obviously things won't change overnight, but no more exclusive carrier devices (hopefully a more streamlined lineup of devices as well) and OTA updates would be nice.

Obviously what people want in WP 8.1 comes up a lot in this thread and something I don't hear much is IE. Personally, I'm curious to see what they've done with IE for 8.1, specifically changes to the UI/UX.

dLMN8R

I honestly don't want Microsoft "flexing muscles" with carriers right now. What they need most of all is to prove to carriers that they're a worthy 3rd competitor, and not something that should be shunned to the back of the bus at every opportunity.

And to be frank, if Microsoft could "flex muscles" to get their way, they probably already would have done so.

I honestly don't want Microsoft "flexing muscles" with carriers right now. What they need most of all is to prove to carriers that they're a worthy 3rd competitor, and not something that should be shunned to the back of the bus at every opportunity.

And to be frank, if Microsoft could "flex muscles" to get their way, they probably already would have done so.
Yeah I get that, but I just don't want to see exclusive flagships for 6 months. 920 was exclusive to ATT for 6 months, Verizon didn't have a flagship from Nokia last holiday and it wasn't because they weren't interested in carrying WP's, they carried the 82x and I believe both of HTC's phones.

maeh2k

Nest and the company with the running robots are better acquisitions than Nokia and Skype? How far into the future do we wait before I can call you out on this?

I think that those were better acquisition that may become more and more important in the future, whereas I see buying (part of) Nokia and Skype as more of a liability.

'Nokia' is still losing money and might never turn a profit let alone make back the money Microsoft spent on them. Their trying to prop up Windows Phone by any means may prove more of a distraction when they've already lost mobile and may be losing out on what comes next.

As for Skype, I'm not sure Microsoft will make back their investment, either. Microsoft has a tendency to buy companies when they are already huge and expensive. But the way the market is changing it's not at all guaranteed Skype will stay that successful. Everything is moving to mobile and Skype doesn't seem to play that big a role there. People are using WhatsApp and Google might leverage their Android dominance to push Hangouts.
Is Skype actually making money? There can't be many users who directly pay for it and charging for group chats when Google doesn't may not be a great strategy.

Still, I don't necessarily see either as bad acquisitions. Having a great hardware division may prove to be a good thing even if Windows Phone doesn't work out.
It's nowhere near as bad as buying Aquantive and trying to buy Yahoo for 40 Billion.

Nero3000

IE in WP8.1 just needs to catch-up with the desktop version:

- Updated engine
- Synced Bookmarks
- Synced Passwords
- Able to open tabs from other devices
- Swipe forward-back

Some nice to haves:
- HTTP Live streaming
- Flash
- Per domain desktop/mobile settings
- Ability to change user agent

EDIT: Also auto login to wifi hotspots with the saved passwords.

Doffen

pZT5PKL.png

from @WPLeaker

I welcome a redesign for the games hub. It's annoying that I can't see my Xbox One achievements from the current one. And adding the new followers/friends-system is a must.

Now could they please also let ID@Xbox handle Windows Phone games??

Edit: MCD, mine is bigger, therefore better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom