• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3 Update 3| Please be excited

Status
Not open for further replies.

hwalker84

They had no major device for the 4th Quarter. I bet most of those were 520/521 models.

Also Microsoft Apps besides the Bing team seem to be made by the interns or least talented individuals. iOS seems to get the bulk of talented engineers.

MarkusRJR

Wait $300 for a 625, AND it's on contract? I bought my grandmother a 620 last year for 200€ off-contract :/
I still have 2 years left of my 3 year contract from my Ativ S. Apparently my warranty didn't help with my Ativ S's issues so I'm outta luck.

maeh2k

8.2 million, pretty bloody bad.

I didn't expect that, I thought sales would level out, but only in Q1.

The lack of a new flagship model hurt them, and I have a distinct feeling that the 525 & 625 are flops. They are just too bloody big, especially when you consider the screen resolution.

Q1 will be even worse, MS better get their shit together with 8.1 and the next generation of devices.

8.2 million is horrible. I bet someone at Microsoft now really regrets the Nokia acquisition. At about 30 million units per year they are a long way off the 50 million they need to break even: "To break even on an operating basis, Microsoft will need Nokia to sell about 50 million smartphones a year, it said in a presentation." (source)
With smartphone prices and margins going down 50 million may not even be enough to break even.

Microsoft is just horrible at acquisitions. Neither their purchase of Skype nor Nokia will end well. Google's recent robotics and home automation purchases will probably matter a lot more in the long run.

Focusing on stupidly large phones certainly didn't help Nokia, but I'm not so sure a 5" device would have helped much, seeing how none of their flagship phones sell particularly well. Nor would 8.1 have done much good since the average user know next to nothing about OS versions and new features. The best 8.1 can do is retain some current users.

Microsoft would probably be better served killing off Windows Phone and moving to an Android fork (or not do hardware in the first place). Maybe they can start with Nokia's Android fork from the Normandy. They could still recreate the Metro UI and customize the OS. Throw in Bing and Office and Xbox. They wouldn't waste sooo much effort on building the OS, begging developers to build apps, making their services available on three platforms... and they could base their future products (e.g. wearables) on Android. The market for smart watches that play well with Windows Phone probably isn't all that big.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Microsoft is just horrible at acquisitions. Neither their purchase of Skype nor Nokia will end well. Google's recent robotics and home automation purchases will probably matter a lot more in the long run.

Nest and the company with the running robots are better acquisitions than Nokia and Skype? How far into the future do we wait before I can call you out on this?

MCD

Happy to see the better Surface sales but still furious that the team are all silent as of late.

There should be a new device already or some accessory at least.

And oh, kill RT. Newest Atom proved RT is not needed.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I bought an original Surface RT for $180 and surprisingly love it, considering all the negativity surrounding its performance that I'd read prior to buying it. I take it to work meetings and get asked about it all the time.

edit: I agree RT should disappear now that the Atom tablets are price competitive, but for my uses, it works fine. If MS used RT for sub $200 tablets, the platform would make more sense.

MCD

It worked fine on my trip, yeah.

But consumers and OEMs are pretty much in agreement that RT is not needed.

hadareud

The Translator
Disagree about RT.

There's absolutely no use for desktop apps on a tablet for me. I really liked by Surface RT, and the Surface 2 is perfect. As far as I'm concerned, once they finally move all of the control panel's function into Metro, I'd never go to the desktop again.

Especially now that I discovered how well remote desktop works and that I can play Football Manager from the comfort of my couch on my Surface.

The only people that worry about RT are the ones that haven't used it. The word of mouth is coming from them, no one else.

I bought an original Surface RT for $180 and surprisingly love it, considering all the negativity surrounding its performance that I'd read prior to buying it. I take it to work meetings and get asked about it all the time.

edit: I agree RT should disappear now that the Atom tablets are price competitive, but for my uses, it works fine. If MS used RT for sub $200 tablets, the platform would make more sense.

The RT got some nice performance updates in the first couple of months. The first month was a bit laggy...and the 1st party apps were horrendous. They did themselves a massive disservice by shipping some really subpar 1st party apps at launch.

The Surface 2 is an amazing device (for me). It's essentially exactly what I want in a tablet. That being said, if x86 provides the same battery life, weight, and cost...why go Arm instead of x86?

dLMN8R

I love x86 in my Venue 8 Pro not because of the ability to use traditional desktop applications, but rather a few games like Hearthstone that I otherwise wouldn't be able to play on it. Also, it's nice to be able to use utilities like WinDirStat and various media player desktop applications that simply don't exist in the Windows Store.

Specific example: using GOM Player to boost volume through the speakers in a way that didn't distort audio, more than any Windows Store apps can do.

hadareud

The Translator
I'd argue the other way around, the newest Lenovo doesn't need the W8, RT would be more than enough for it.

Obviously, like LF said, if the price, the performance, the battery life etc are the same, you might as well go for x86, but from a usability point of view, I don't think it's needed.

edit: gaming is definitely a very valid point though, of course.

hadareud

The Translator
It would be a very narrow minded way of looking at things.

Their consumer market products and efforts also aid their enterprise market, no matter that they generate very little profit in comparison.

Also, who cares what investors think. They're making money off the back of those profits for sitting on their arse and doing fuck all. They are a slightly more sophisticated version of a gambler that sits in the betting shop from 10 in the morning having had a couple of special brews for breakfast.

Schlep

Looking at the earning report you can see why some investors are calling for them to axe Xbox and othere consumer division (Surface). Most of the money being made by Microsoft are from their enterprise licensing.

Any investor that calls for a company to axe something that made the same money in one quarter as the entire previous fiscal year (Surface) is retarded.

Any investor that calls for a company to axe something that made the same money in one quarter as the entire previous fiscal year (Surface) is retarded.

Well I am sure they feel Microsoft resources were being wasted in consumer markets where they feel Microsoft could strengthen their hands on enterprise and expanded if they were to concentrate there instead. I don't think they are being retarded, just practical and wants to maximize their investments. I am not saying I am agreeing with them but I can see where they are coming from.

Razdek

Banned
Disagree about RT.

There's absolutely no use for desktop apps on a tablet for me. I really liked by Surface RT, and the Surface 2 is perfect. As far as I'm concerned, once they finally move all of the control panel's function into Metro, I'd never go to the desktop again.

Especially now that I discovered how well remote desktop works and that I can play Football Manager from the comfort of my couch on my Surface.

The only people that worry about RT are the ones that haven't used it. The word of mouth is coming from them, no one else.

Sorry gotta disagree here as a Surface RT owner I'd rather have full 8.1 on a tablet. The worst is when going to websites with pop up menus that don't work correctly in RT IE but works perfectly fine on PC IE which makes me angry.

I got mine for $199 so I didn't pay to much to try RT and I enjoy using it but I'll never purchase another RT device ever.

Razdek

Banned
Just look at that newest Lenovo and tell me why RT is needed anymore.

Yep, going to pick up that Lenovo when it becomes available as that looks like a great tablet. RT is no longer needed and how well did that Nokia tablet sell?

Yep, going to pick up that Lenovo when it becomes available as that looks like a great tablet. RT is no longer needed and how well did that Nokia tablet sell?

I am waiting for clearance fire sale on that 2520, even then I am not sure why I would want an RT tablet. I love the Dell Venue 8, even with all the little quirks. I don't feel so restricted with it like I was when I was using Nexus or iPad, I can move my files from my computer and download whatever I want using desktop. And I have to say again, with full function browser, I have no need whatsoever for any apps on metro side.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Sorry gotta disagree here as a Surface RT owner I'd rather have full 8.1 on a tablet. The worst is when going to websites with pop up menus that don't work correctly in RT IE but works perfectly fine on PC IE which makes me angry.

You have PC IE on your surface along with RT IE.

MCD

Unfortunately the desktop IE on Surface RT does the same thing as the metro one. If I try the same websites on my PC it works without issues. Must be something with the ARM version.

Can you try to change the user agent (I think that's what it is called?) to Chrome?

Schlep

Well I am sure they feel Microsoft resources were being wasted in consumer markets where they feel Microsoft could strengthen their hands on enterprise and expanded if they were to concentrate there instead. I don't think they are being retarded, just practical and wants to maximize their investments. I am not saying I am agreeing with them but I can see where they are coming from.

Doesn't really change my thinking. No company should ever have all their eggs in one basket. Ask Blackberry how concentrating 90% of their effort on enterprise worked out for them.

Razdek

Banned
I am waiting for clearance fire sale on that 2520, even then I am not sure why I would want an RT tablet. I love the Dell Venue 8, even with all the little quirks. I don't feel so restricted with it like I was when I was using Nexus or iPad, I can move my files from my computer and download whatever I want using desktop. And I have to say again, with full function browser, I have no need whatsoever for any apps on metro side.

If you can get one for $200-300 it wouldn't be bad and I like my Surface RT but when the atom devices are cheaper and battery life comparable, it makes it harder to buy a RT device. Almost bought a Dell Venue Pro 8 but glad I waited since the Lenovo ThinkPad 8 looks like a better fit for my needs.

Lynn616

8.2 million, pretty bloody bad.

I didn't expect that, I thought sales would level out, but only in Q1.

The lack of a new flagship model hurt them, and I have a distinct feeling that the 525 & 625 are flops. They are just too bloody big, especially when you consider the screen resolution.

Q1 will be even worse, MS better get their shit together with 8.1 and the next generation of devices.

More like Nokia stopped giving a shit after the sale to MS and probably lowered its promotional efforts and carrier incentives. Expect to see it drop till MS takes over.

JaggedSac

That is also making an assumption that throwing more money at the enterprise arena will garner them more profits. Especially when they have so much cash on hand to spend on whatever they want.

Also, are there any rumors of a Surface Pro 8" model? That would be fantastic. Otherwise I might just get one of the next round of 8"ers from Lenovo or Dell.

PG2G

Nokia is doing a terrible job with their device portfolio honestly. They better come out swinging when Windows Phone 8.1 is announced... in 3 months.

MCD

Nokia is doing a terrible job with their device portfolio honestly. They better come out swinging when Windows Phone 8.1 is announced... in 3 months.

It's not their fault Terry Myerson is taking his sweet ass time updating every MS OS on earth.

That is also making an assumption that throwing more money at the enterprise arena will garner them more profits. Especially when they have so much cash on hand to spend on whatever they want.

Also, are there any rumors of a Surface Pro 8" model? That would be fantastic. Otherwise I might just get one of the next round of 8"ers from Lenovo or Dell.

Investors are probably fantasizing about selling the enterprise business in 5-10 years to Lenovo. :lol

And the 8" Surface comes with RT, afaik.

hadareud

The Translator
I should have mentioned that Silverlight support missing is a big deal too on RT.

Also sort of inexcusable considering how many websites still use it for DRM reasons and it's a Microsoft technology, no matter that it's being phased out.

In conclusion, I may have somewhat overstated my point.

Waiting for approval. >:-(

I thought there would have been some movement this week on the latest update for the lower end phones, but no.

kharma45

Yeah they're taking a long time to get the 520 and 620 Black updates pushed.

I'd not be surprised to see double tap to wake being added to at least the 620 with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom