• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3 Update 3| Please be excited

Status
Not open for further replies.

dLMN8R

Does anyone have the 1520, If so, how is the camera on it? Is it actually decent for day to day use?

I don't have the 1520, but look at it this way - the Lumia 920 has a better camera than every single other non-Nokia phone out there. The 1520 is significantly better than that, with the 1020 being the best.

Commodore

If you're using Pocket, Poki is pretty gorgeous, especially in motion.

I hadn't used Pocket before, but I probably will now.

Poki is fantastic. One of the best designed apps I've come across, thing is obviously a labor of love. From the app achievements, to the long press menus, to the article menus to change things dynamically, all very solid work. The dev needs to account for video links to open in maybe an in app video player, especially for youtube, but you can easily open in IE as well. But yeah, pretty impressed.

hadareud

The Translator
Joking aside, I don't really follow the business news very much and from reading the gaming side here every now and then over the years I had the genuine impression that since Kaz got the gig he had turned the company around and that the "one Sony" thing was working very well.

The move to junk status and today's news came as somewhat of a surprise.

Terrible news especially for the thousands of people losing their jobs and not a particularly encouraging development for the market as a whole. Lets hope they can turn things around.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
We will get a windows phone out of their desperation, so that's a positive.
Honestly, I like Sony products. As a tech geek, I want them to stick around. I've bought their speakers, receivers, PlayStation, laptops, and I owned a Sony ericcson phone that I loved too.

Azih

I'm really surprised that they didn't try for either a 'transformer/hybrid' type of device or a straight up tablet for their Vaio line before giving up. But then again, Sony is in bad shape.

I'm really surprised that they didn't try for either a 'transformer/hybrid' type of device or a straight up tablet for their Vaio line before giving up. But then again, Sony is in bad shape.

They tried that, but you not knowing about these products is part of the reason they're going down.

vY15LR4.jpg

oleMtcy.jpg

UgIdI3m.jpg

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Bah, the 625 on Telus will be getting the Black update before the 920 Rogers. Can't wait to switch from Rogers. Telus better get the next high end WP in the Fall.

Milchjon

Bf0yTnDCQAAyl2d.png

Between this and Samsung's magazine UI, what will MS do next when every other player is copying their design to some degree?

hadareud

The Translator
Samsung's will never see the light of day after recent developments, apparently.

I don't think they should care. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery as they say. The problem that they have is that the masses are slagging off Microsoft's design while they seem to like it on other platforms.

Samsung's will never see the light of day after recent developments, apparently.

I don't think they should care. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery as they say. The problem that they have is that the masses are slagging off Microsoft's design while they seem to like it on other platforms.

You just have to understand, Metro is the worst thing ever. Be it on Windows 8, Windows Phone or Xbox. Especially Xbox. Goddamn, Xbox. Have you seen the Xbox UI? So terrible and Metro.

Milchjon

Cortana is supposed to be powered by Foursquare. The US exclusivity makes sense, doesn't it?

They should bring it to Hamburg, advertising/media people seem to love Foursquare enough to build up a pretty good database around here...

Also:

Microsoft is also holding its own Mobile World Congress press event on February 23rd. Windows executives will be in attendance, but we understand Microsoft isn’t planning to fully detail Windows Phone 8.1 at the show. It’s more likely that Microsoft will focus on Windows Phone momentum, and possibly unveil new Windows Phone partners for 2014.

kharma45

Cortana is supposed to be powered by Foursquare. The US exclusivity makes sense, doesn't it?

Maybe. Maybe not

While Microsoft isn’t commenting on Windows Phone 8.1 or Cortana, Microsoft’s Zig Serafin has revealed to Bloomberg News that Foursquare’s data will be used in future Windows Phone software. “We’re building some contextually aware experiences to power some upcoming products in Windows Phone,” Serafin said. “This will be for anywhere you get a Bing-powered experience.” Some recent rumors had suggested Cortana would be restricted to the US market initially, but it appears Microsoft will likely bring the personal assistant to countries where Bing is present.

Vestal

Went from 920 to 1520 last weekend and HOLY FUCK.

this phone is amazing and its how the windows phone experience should be going forward.
The real-estate in the home screen thanks to 1080p + bigger screen is glorious, the battery life is fucking ridiculous.

having a 6 tile width is a game changer and really improves the overall glance and go experience of the phone.

The camera. OOOOHHHH THAT CAMERA.

While it is a large phone, it didn't take long to get used to it.

Does anyone have the 1520, If so, how is the camera on it? Is it actually decent for day to day use?
I do. I don't use the camera often because my wife has the 1020. It is excellent though. Probably only second to the 1020 from what I have read. The Nokia tools for the camera are pretty fun to play with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom