• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3 Update 3| Please be excited

Status
Not open for further replies.

hadareud

The Translator
My 920 had one scratch, but I don't have any on my 1020 yet. Don't know whether that's because they upgraded it from gorilla glass 2 to 3 or whether I've just been lucky so far though.

I'm just so ridiculously OCD about scratches. If I get one, no matter how small or trivial, I'm instantly like "RIGHT! I NEED A NEW PHONE!"

It's something I've got to try and learn to get over. :(

hadareud

The Translator
You can always replace the screen or pay someone to replace it for you.

Something like a 100 dollars, job done.

Better than keeping the phone in an expensive case and put a hideous screen protector on imo.

Also you can put a liquid coating on, helps prevent scratches.

Nintendad

Can I change the main account of my Xbox Live and keep the games on it? I got my old account back and want to log into it, but can't figure it out.

hwalker84

If i remove my Linkedin and Twitter sync that came in automatically when I added my Microsoft account to my 520 will that remove that sync from other devices?

I only ask because when I go to remove it the text says

"All of the information associated with this account will be deleted from your phone, and Twitter will be removed from your Microsoft account."

PG2G

If i remove my Linkedin and Twitter sync that came in automatically when I added my Microsoft account to my 520 will that remove that sync from other devices?

I only ask because when I go to remove it the text says

"All of the information associated with this account will be deleted from your phone, and Twitter will be removed from your Microsoft account."

I think it is doing it at the account level not at a device level. Everything comes from Microsoft's servers

I don't know what kind of gorilla glass Nokia uses but it sure seems inferior to what Samsung or LG uses. Never had a scratch on my Galaxy phones or Nexus phones. No screen protector. My 920 has a few scratches and I use it the same as the others. :shrug

My Galaxy has a lot of scratches. Gorilla Glass is bullshit, no matter where it's applied.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Anyone else move to the new discount mobile share plans at at&t? $130 for two smartphones, unlimited talk/text, tethering and 10 gigs of shared data a month. Made me finally give up my grandfathered unlimited data plan. The downside is I no longer get a phone subsidy every 18 months, so I have to buy my phones outright. I hope the trend of decently priced smartphones is here to stay, or I'm screwed. It also means I'm much less likely to ever own an iPhone again. They'd have to really blow my socks off for me to spend $600 plus on a phone.

kharma45

My Galaxy has a lot of scratches. Gorilla Glass is bullshit, no matter where it's applied.

Yep. The hero worship for it confuses me. Its still glass, it still scratches and cracks. Sure its a bit more resistant than some other toughened class but it's people getting suckered in to the brand at this stage.

Lucius86

Banned
Yep. The hero worship for it confuses me. Its still glass, it still scratches and cracks. Sure its a bit more resistant than some other toughened class but it's people getting suckered in to the brand at this stage.

Yep, it's more resistant but it sure isn't a solution.

zedge

I'm aware it's still just glass and can shatter etc. Seen enough shattered s3 out there. Lucky I have not dropped my phones. After two years with the s3 no screen protector not a scratch. Back is scratched because I don't use a case. However, my 920 had a scratch within a couple months. :/ No idea how, right across the center of the screen. Also lots of micro scratches if you look at a certain angle. I dunno.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I want it. I hope we get it soon, I don't like the Facebook app on any of the major platforms. My wife even uses the browser Facebook on her iPad rather than the app.

Milchjon

GTA SA ain't terrible.

Haven't gotten to any real skill based mission yet, though. Will probably start being pretty hard then.

So the Microsoft Store is running a promotion right now, where you receive a Nokia 520, or 521, for free when you buy a 12-month Xbox Music pass for $99.90, aka normal price.

So you do basically get either a 520/521 for free. I was looking at buying a 12 month pass for Xbox Music recently anyways, so I don't mind getting a free phone. How are these phones for listening to music? I might just give the phone to my mother to use as a Music Player? Which would be better for playing music?

hwalker84

I'd expect the 520 to have better battery than I'm getting considering I don't have a sim card. No accounts syncing. Battery saver and airplane mode on.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Thanks for the link and perfect timing. Been advised to listen to a few from my work colleagues about the industry i'm in. And listening is easier than reading lol.

Any other recommendations for podcast apps?

I like podcatcher, but I don't think it has auto updates yet? supposed to be coming though. I tried alternatives that do update automatically but some didn't let me set rules per podcast etc, so I'm back with podcatcher.

MarkusRJR

Samsung's new WP8.1 device apparently got leaked. Looks exactly like a grey S4. The Ativ S was basically just an S3 in grey with less curves so that's hardly surprising. One thing to note on the new phone is the lack of a camera key and on screen buttons. Looks like Samsung is using the same capacitive button layout the used in the Ativ S, whilst using the same button style on the S4 (the capacitive buttons disappear entirely when not lit).

Seems kind of lazy to get the S4 ripoff right when the S5 is coming out.

Nero3000

Samsung's new WP8.1 device apparently got leaked. Looks exactly like a grey S4. The Ativ S was basically just an S3 in grey with less curves so that's hardly surprising. One thing to note on the new phone is the lack of a camera key and on screen buttons. Looks like Samsung is using the same capacitive button layout the used in the Ativ S, whilst using the same button style on the S4 (the capacitive buttons disappear entirely when not lit).

Seems kind of lazy to get the S4 ripoff right when the S5 is coming out.

In the scope of Windows Phone, does anyone care about Samsung anymore? Should we care?

Nokia phones are cheaper, better build quality, more varied and have better software additions.

If I was Microsoft, I would immediately drop any support for Samsung to the bare minimum until they merit it.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Yay, a gs4 a year later!

edit: you're phone's not defective H, the 520 has bad battery life and standby sucks as well. The only thing that helps is disabling WiFi, because otherwise its trying to act like your primary phone and pull data for tiles etc.

hwalker84

Yay, a gs4 a year later!

edit: you're phone's not defective H, the 520 has bad battery life and standby sucks as well. The only thing that helps is disabling WiFi, because otherwise its trying to act like your primary phone and pull data for tiles etc.

I tried to make this thing as music centric as possible.

No Live Tiles
Only thing Pinned are Music, MixRadio, Settings, ConnectivityShortcuts
No Email sync'd
No Facebook
No background tasks
WIFI On
Airplane Mode On
Battery Saver Always On

Slightly over a day of standby. Sad.

kharma45

No Live Tiles
No Email sync'd
No Facebook
No background tasks
WIFI On
Airplane Mode On
Battery Saver Always On

That's not great. My mother, albeit no WiFi that often, can get around 4 days.

Ave22

I listen to old podcasts that are no longer offered for streaming. After I buy them, how do I import them into WP8 so that they are recognized as podcasts and will allow a memory of my last playback position?

ElNino

No Live Tiles
No Email sync'd
No Facebook
No background tasks
WIFI On
Airplane Mode On
Battery Saver Always On

Woah, that sounds terrible for the 520.

When I go to the cottage (where there is no cell signal), I use my 900 and 1020 as a GPS rangefinder while playing golf and connect to WiFi occasionally and I can go several days and still be above 50% battery.

kharma45

Just read the thread on the gaming side about the announcement.

Fuck me.

Surely uninformed drivel like that must hurt any thinking person. Not that I don't like uninformed drivel, when it's at least funny. The gaming side is the Karl Pilkington of discussion. Without the fun.

I would post what I think about most people on the gaming side but I'd probably get banned.

Just read the thread on the gaming side about the announcement.

Fuck me.

Surely uninformed drivel like that must hurt any thinking person. Not that I don't like uninformed drivel, when it's at least funny. The gaming side is the Karl Pilkington of discussion. Without the fun.

Whenever I read reactions like that, it always makes me think about non-gaming related topics and if the reactions are just as bad, but I wouldn't know, because I have no clue about it either.

hadareud

The Translator
Whenever I read reactions like that, it always makes me think about non-gaming related topics and if the reactions are just as bad, but I wouldn't know, because I have no clue about it either.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not expecting everyone to be experts on what they discuss. Forums would be boring as fuck until you got up to speed yourself. So people being ignorant isn't a bad thing, it's also good to get an idea of how people that aren't involved in the topic at all see things.

What grates for me is the absolute certainty with which bullshit is being spread by certain people. It's not that people don't know what they're talking about, it's that the definitely do know what they are talking about. They know for a fact.

I guess it comes as part of ignorance, because the more you learn about a subject, the more you also learn how ignorant you are of it.

So I guess it's just human nature in the end.

The conclusion: I hate everyone.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Don't get me wrong, I'm not expecting everyone to be experts on what they discuss. Forums would be boring as fuck until you got up to speed yourself. So people being ignorant isn't a bad thing, it's also good to get an idea of how people that aren't involved in the topic at all see things.

What grates for me is the absolute certainty with which bullshit is being spread by certain people. It's not that people don't know what they're talking about, it's that the definitely do know what they are talking about. They know for a fact.

I guess it comes as part of ignorance, because the more you learn about a subject, the more you also learn how ignorant you are of it.

So I guess it's just human nature in the end.

The conclusion: I hate everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom