• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3 Update 3| Please be excited

Status
Not open for further replies.

hadareud

The Translator
Shame, can't fool you :(

Yeah, I've set the search to US, don't need to set the region to it for it to work. Nothing else is affected by this as far as I can tell.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I set my region to the US and for the most part it works well. Local Scout (eat+drink primarily) works like ass (worked with WP7) and if I Bing weather for a city it defaults in Fahrenheit.

hadareud

The Translator
Search and browser language is enough to get it.

I can't see any difference in the local scout etc., so there's no harm in doing it as far as I can tell.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Downloaded the official Phase 10 dice game ($1.99). Pretty fun. I play the card game a lot with family usually over the holidays.

kharma45

José Mourinho;100002569 said:
I really hate being told I don't have enough space to install an 820MB when I have 2.7GB free.

Yep its shit. Hopefully the rumours of 8.1 being able to use SD for apps is true.

hwalker84

Guy's you gotta help me troubleshoot this 520 music issue

Using Windows Media Player to sync to SD Card

Music sync's perfectly and all the album art and expected tags come down to the phone
If the phone is rebooted I lose the tags
Meaning the "Artists" and "Albums" tab's are empty after reboot
The only place to find music is in "Songs" which is unacceptable when you're dealing with 6GB's of music
Xbox music sync is turned off. Hell every setting is turned off even WIFI
I've wiped the phone to factory
I updated to black
Nothing works. I bought this damn thing as a music phone to just sit in my bag and be charged once in a blue moon but it's useless since I can't let it lose power.

PG2G

Have you tried syncing with something other than Windows Media Player? Maybe try drag and drop and see if it has the same issue

hwalker84

Found a workaround. If I pull the SD Card and sync directly to it from WMP reboots don't seem to delete any tags (Also doesn't pull in all Album Art). Used MPATool to fix that. I'll just deal with it.

maeh2k

Good article on Android forking: http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2014/02/neither-microsoft-nokia-nor-anyone-else-should-fork-android-its-unforkable/

I'm looking forward to the day Google faces some real, substantial anti-trust issues and hope the EU won't be as lenient as they were in their handling of search.
For that to happen, Windows might have to die first, though. Not expecting anything any time soon.

If Google continue to increase their dominance in computing (from search, to youtube, to mobile, to web browsers, ...) maybe the company could be split at some point (as Microsoft was threatened to be split up in the early 2000s).

f0lken

Just when I thought we would have the fad of the month in its prime, the developer of flappy bird will take it down from the appstore and of course is logical that it won't come to WP as he promised lol

PG2G

Just when I thought we would have the fad of the month in its prime, the developer of flappy bird will take it down from the appstore and of course is logical that it won't come to WP as he promised lol

Good thing we have the bootleg lol, Windows Phone will be the exclusive platform of Fappy Birds in 20 hours.

f0lken

Just read his twitter feed. What a weirdo.

I would have just go away from the internet for what? A month? Or maybe less even, just enjoying the buckets of money people keep giving me for free, is not like Flappy Bird has the content to keep going for months and months like other games, the stress was a problem that would have solve itself

f0lken

"The “action center” is activated by swiping from the top of the screen, like on other platforms."

:/ it probably is for the better, is accessible and people are familiar with it, but I hoped the WP team would have find another way to activate it, one thing I'd like is if you could select various items at once (the option is down there in one of the screenshots) and do a single action for all of them, like send a group message, or give several likes for facebook, etc.

PG2G

Swiping from the top is so silly when phones are this large. I have to stretch to reach the top of a Lumia 1020 and that screen is only 4.5"

catmincer

Swiping from the top is so silly when phones are this large. I have to stretch to reach the top of a Lumia 1020 and that screen is only 4.5"

I like on my Xperia if you want to access google now you hold home and swipe up. That'd be a good option for this.

I can't wait for better setting and notification center. I spend 10 mins helping my co-workers navigating through the setting the other day just to find her phone number.

Looks good! Flashlight feature would be nice. I appreciate the battery percentage, too. Swipe down makes sense, and will let you access the system bar when in an app like IE without having to hold the back button.

Looks good! Flashlight feature would be nice. I appreciate the battery percentage, too. Swipe down makes sense, and will let you access the system bar when in an app like IE without having to hold the back button.

Currently, if you're in an app that doesn't support the status bar pulldown such as IE, you can pull the app bar up from the bottom and it will display the status bar on the top.

Notification center/quick settings looks good to me assuming that screen is real.

Nero3000

Arrrrggghhh! Seriously does no one at Microsoft like a scrubber in their music apps?

Just been playing with the xbox music for ios, the lack of scrubber (or in ios'a case: anyway to fast forward through tracks) is frustrating.

Please give me a scrubber. Everywhere! All snap states in win 8 especially (it was there before).

Bonus points for a scrubber in the wp8.1/win8/9 volume overlay.

Milchjon

Arrrrggghhh! Seriously does no one at Microsoft like a scrubber in their music apps?

Just been playing with the xbox music for ios, the lack of scrubber (or in ios'a case: anyway to fast forward through tracks) is frustrating.

Please give me a scrubber. Everywhere! All snap states in win 8 especially (it was there before).

Bonus points for a scrubber in the wp8.1/win8/9 volume overlay.

The lack of a scrubber was actually one of the key reasons why an iOS fanboy/audio-book loving friend of mine returned back to his iPhone from the 920 after a week or so.

Really stupid omission.

Milchjon

Another pic from The Verge

wp8notification1_1020_large_verge_medium_landscape.jpg

Don't think it looks too bad. Even though some of the stuff is real tiny...

maeh2k

I hope that doesn't mean the recent picture of the volume controls aren't real. That had an equally tiny setting button.

MarkusRJR

Hopefully that top bar with the 4 quick settings is customizable. I don't understand why mobile data wouldn't be up there while airplane and driving mode are there. That just doesn't make sense in terms of every day usage.

kharma45

It looks good, and they're actually doing something a bit different

From sources familiar with the matter, we can also confirm some of the behavior of this Action Center. For example, if a user is playing a full screen game and they ‘swipe down’ accidentally, they won’t see a huge center come down, but instead will just see a small, blue tab (akin to the blue bar in the image). This intelligent usage of the Action Center will ensure users only can use it in appropriate contexts and not in others.

Hopefully that top bar with the 4 quick settings is customizable. I don't understand why mobile data wouldn't be up there while airplane and driving mode are there. That just doesn't make sense in terms of every day usage.

It is

Windows-Phone-8.1-Quick-Access-1.jpg

maeh2k

According to the Verge article, it's customizable.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member

How do you like your 625?

maeh2k

Looks like I lost another one. My sisters boyfriend, who has actually been pretty happy with the HTC 8X I recommended to him when the phone came out, is about to switch to Android (some new Xperia).

For some reason he had some issues when texting with my sister (probably via WhatsApp). Apparently he didn't get all texts or maybe didn't get them in time or something. Annoyed the two of them so much that he just ordered another phone. Idiot should have asked me about the issues first. I don't think WhatsApp has any major issues on Windows Phone, does it? At least my mother has no issues on the 920. I'm curious if he always installed the newest WhatsApp updates.

Milchjon

Looks like I lost another one. My sisters boyfriend, who has actually been pretty happy with the HTC 8X I recommended to him when the phone came out, is about to switch to Android (some new Xperia).

For some reason he had some issues when texting with my sister (probably via WhatsApp). Apparently he didn't get all texts or maybe didn't get them in time or something. Annoyed the two of them so much that he just ordered another phone. Idiot should have asked me about the issues first. I don't think WhatsApp has any major issues on Windows Phone, does it? At least my mother has no issues on the 920. I'm curious if he always installed the newest WhatsApp updates.

I've had zero problems with WhatsApp on WP8.

It's kinda ugly, but they're supporting it well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom