• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3 Update 3| Please be excited

Status
Not open for further replies.

PG2G

I (and at least one other person I know) have had issues with MMS where they simply aren't received or you miss certain ones. It affected both picture texts as well as group texts and I'm pretty sure that sort of thing will chase more casual users off for good.

I believe there was some sort of corruption the message database, it came back to me after hard resets and even device replacements. Eventually cleared out all saved messages and things started working again.

maeh2k

Actually, I highly doubt they were using anything other than WhatsApp. Surely no MMS.
Do notifications work well and arrive in a timely fashion for WhatsApp?

Mario007

Guys how can you link the calendar app with your google account? I go in to make a 'to do' note in the app and it only gives me the option to save it to my hotmail account.

maeh2k

Guys how can you link the calendar app with your google account? I go in to make a 'to do' note in the app and it only gives me the option to save it to my hotmail account.

No idea, but if the default calendar doesn't integrate well with Google services, you could try other calendar apps.

This one looks great and has Google support (but it's $2): Cal

At the bottom of the article there are a couple of links to alternative apps: Calendar Colleague (don't know if it has Google support) and Chronos (which does sync with Google)

Mario007

No idea, but if the default calendar doesn't integrate well with Google services, you could try other calendar apps.

This one looks great and has Google support (but it's $2): Cal

At the bottom of the article there are a couple of links to alternative apps: Calendar Colleague (don't know if it has Google support) and Chronos (which does sync with Google)
Cool thanks for those will check em out.

kharma45

cLf48VA.png

Does Tom Warren have a build of the OS and when something leaks he confirms it?

Looks an awful lot like that Verge pic is just him taking a picture of one of his phones.

Milchjon

I'm in love with Poki.

Everywhere you look and everything you tap leads to something nice to look at or something useful.

I'd say it even surpasses Rudy's apps in some ways, mostly because you can see that there's more of a design background behind it. I assume few WP devs can do what Rudy does when it comes to patching holes in the app line up at a very high speed and getting access to non-public stuff.

But for "original" apps, Poki is the new gold standard for me.

maeh2k

Amazing. I wonder if its just a Swipe-esque keyboard, or if they will allow developers to make and put keyboards up on the store.

I'd be shocked if it was anything other than them just adding swiping to the regular keyboard (much like Google did in Android).

MarkusRJR

How do you like your 625?
Loving the battery life and the overall experience. Sure the screen and camera could be better, but for the $200 price tag in Canada there's not much to complain about. However, there is a lack of a oleophobic coating on the screen and It kind of bothers me, but it's nothing major.

My Ativ S had battery issues when browsing online due to the AMOLED. I'm so happy to be back to using the white theme on GAF now that I'm on an LCD. Dark theme us kinda hard to read on.

hadareud

The Translator
During a particularly productive cigarette break I counted the apps on my phone.

138 apps at 18 games.

Considering that there are no apps, that's quite a lot.

LiveGaming (unofficial Twitch app) is fantastic. One of the smoothest experiences I've had with twitch and that includes the normal website. Props to the developers. All I'm missing media wise now is the teamcoco app.

I've had a 521 since last year but this weekend was the first time I went digging in the app store since just grabbing the essentials when I bought the phone. I went ahead and grabbed a few of the apps mentioned in this thread like poki and anitro

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Honestly, I'm strongly considering the 1520. While the camera is godly on the 1020, the battery life is disappointing. I don't know what to blame, but it seems like Windows Phones simply lose considerable battery life as you add apps and whatnot. I hate having to constantly think about it. Also, I can sell my nexus 7, which I mainly use to watch video podcasts.

The only remaining item is forcing myself to downgrade in camera. The ergonomics don't matter, I won't hold it up to my ear.

hwalker84

Honestly, I'm strongly considering the 1520. While the camera is godly on the 1020, the battery life is disappointing. I don't know what to blame, but it seems like Windows Phones simply lose considerable battery life as you add apps and whatnot. I hate having to constantly think about it. Also, I can sell my nexus 7, which I mainly use to watch video podcasts.

The only remaining item is forcing myself to downgrade in camera. The ergonomics don't matter, I won't hold it up to my ear.

LOL. Van don't do it! (Even though I've been thinking of switching my company plan so that I can upgrade). Still holding out for the inevitable WP8.1 launch lineup.

kharma45

I'm caught in two minds. I'd love a new phone but I want to wait for 8.1 and the other Android devices that'll launch around that time too.

stktt

Banned

I'm waiting until Nokia reveals their next flagship before making any decisions. The 1520 is beautiful, but its screen is so absurdly huge that I can't see myself using it on a daily basis.

Bullza2o

I'm caught in two minds. I'd love a new phone but I want to wait for 8.1 and the other Android devices that'll launch around that time too.

I've been tempted to buy a Nexus 5 multiple times the last month, but I really stopped myself because at this point I'd rather get a new Lumia flagship (hopefully for TMobile) or the next generation of Android Kitkat phones from other OEMs. I want Lumia the most though; it just fits my taste for an ideal phone.

KageMaru

Have you tried using the grip case that extends the battery life?

I (and at least one other person I know) have had issues with MMS where they simply aren't received or you miss certain ones. It affected both picture texts as well as group texts and I'm pretty sure that sort of thing will chase more casual users off for good.

I believe there was some sort of corruption the message database, it came back to me after hard resets and even device replacements. Eventually cleared out all saved messages and things started working again.

I'm having the same issue. There is a particular conservation that I want to export. Until there is a way to export that thread I have to just live with it.

:(

People can't seem to grasp this is a phone to slot in at Asha level devices.

That doesn't matter and shouldn't matter. The fact alone that they're using Android for that is a big fat punch in the face for Windows Phone, the OS that was supposed to be so flexible and good on low end hardware. We already have Windows Phones with those specs on the market, so why can't they replace the Asha line properly?

kharma45

That doesn't matter and shouldn't matter. The fact alone that they're using Android for that is a big fat punch in the face for Windows Phone, the OS that was supposed to be so flexible and good on low end hardware. We already have Windows Phones with those specs on the market, so why can't they replace the Asha line properly?

I disagree. If they were using Google Play services on this device then yes, there'd be an issue. However they're not, this is just a platform that they can use on very low margin phones with no license cost and promote their core services like HERE and likely some Microsoft ones too.

Windows Phone 8 might well run brilliantly on a Snapdragon S4 but on a Snapdragon 200 using Cortex A5? It'd run like a load of arse, not that Android is going to run any better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom