• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3 Update 3| Please be excited

Status
Not open for further replies.

Razdek

Banned
He also suggested that background execution has been completely reworked.

Sounds like there is plenty of room for compatibility issues.

If it makes it work better than the current background agents then I'm for the change. Hope we see a lot less of the loading.... screens when switching apps.

PG2G

That's too long a wait for a new flagship device.

There'll be one with 8.1.

They'll announce one for sure, the 1520 isn't mainstream enough and there is no world equivalent of the Icon. It probably wont offer much more than either of those though, we'll see.

hadareud

The Translator
I9zK3GZ.jpg

akQGOke.jpg

pf7n3PO.jpg

PG2G

I guess this is what happens when you give stuff out to folks that have been starving for news. NDA be damned lol

Lucius86

Banned
Its a private invite only beta. But if you get in, it'll likely be via your developer accounts email.

That's what I expected. I'm just not big enough to warrant a private invite with only 6,245 downloads :(

Of which, has only made me £4 in ad revenue. Is it me, or is that not good numbers? Definitely no Flappy Bird.

kharma45

I wonder how the early build runs. Clearly the Verge and WPCentral has it

Win81_File_Picker.jpg

Camera_design_81.jpg

Or they're just putting the SDK screenshots on the phones lol

f0lken

That's what I expected. I'm just not big enough to warrant a private invite with only 6,245 downloads :(

Of which, has only made me £4 in ad revenue. Is it me, or is that not good numbers? Definitely no Flappy Bird.

Quick, make a Flappy Bird clone, those are the rage these days.

And there is good stuff in those leaks, but i don't like a single bit that you can change your default sms app, I hoped that they opened the message hub to all kind of apps, so you can send FB, Whatsapp, Viber, SMS and etc from the same place :(

Or they're just putting (the SDK) screenshots on the phones lol

That's what they usually do. It does give their blog posts a nice touch.

Also, RIP People Hub.

"Microsoft appears to have removed the Facebook account option from Windows Phone 8.1, and any photo integration in the Photos app. However, Twitter is still present so it's not clear if this is a bug in the SDK or a sign that Microsoft is moving away from built-in Facebook integration like it has with Windows 8.1."

The only thing that made it useful and they removed it.

hadareud

The Translator
Summary of the stuff so far:

• NEW YouTube Player (see lede image) including HTML5 video support (video playback doesn't have to be full screen) And you get custom UI, so Youtube Closed Captions are in
  • NEW File picker (see above image)
  • NEW Geofencing API for location-based reminders
  • NEW Background tasks: Bluetooth signal strength, Chat message notification, Device connection change, Device use trigger, Gatt characteristic notification, Location, Push notification, Rfcomm connection, System event, Timer
  • NEW Slide down to close apps
  • NEW Navigation bar color selection
  • NEW USB choices
  • NEW Updated camera layout, similar to Windows 8.1 (see photo below)
  • VPN (Virtual Private Network)
  • OneDrive (previously SkyDrive) with integrated file browser (just like Windows 8.1)
  • Filter through installed apps by usage/install date
  • Select multiple tiles when customising the Start screen
  • More efficient multitasking
  • Ability to install apps on inserted SD Cards
  • Internet Explorer 11 improved with WebGL and Normal mapping support
  • Separate volume controls for ringer, media, etc.
  • Bing smart search (similar search system as Windows 8.1)
  • Xbox Music and Xbox Video as standalone apps instead of the Music + Video Hub (allowing more updates to be pushed)
  • Redesigned Xbox Game Hub
  • Twitter integrated more deeply into the contacts Hub
  • Facebook account option REMOVED (updated)
  • Quick settings access (Wi-Fi, Bluetooth) by doing a quick swipe from the top of the screen
  • Action Center accessed by doing a full swipe from up to the bottom (separate from the Notification Center)
  • Silent notifications which go directly to the Action center
  • Possibility to mark a Live Tile as read by swiping from the left of said tile
  • 'Cortana' smart agent performs the same tasks as Siri and Google Now and even more, including data from Foursquare (MS INVEST)
  • Auto-updates for apps (just like Windows 8.1)
  • Better backup functionality
  • Improved keyboard
  • Bluetooth 4.0 LE (to non-Lumia Windows Phones)
  • Feature to mirror Windows Phone screens to TVs and/or monitors
  • Single sign in for apps (like on Win8) with Microsoft Account,; sign in will persist across devices + apps with permissions prompt

kharma45

FUCKING FINALLY!

• Single sign in for apps (like on Win8) with Microsoft Account,; sign in will persist across devices + apps with permissions prompt

So, Facebook pics/contact info will be gone from People?

Pretty big disappointment if true, being a nice contact database is basically the most useful thing I see in Facebook for me these days.

NeOak

Goddamn it, I linked every one of my contacts that were on facebook so it would update with their pics and everything.

Why do they remove the most useful thing of the People hub? It's ridiculous.

maeh2k

It was really neat to be able to just open a contact and directly see their facebook posts and photos from different services. Windows Phone was on the right track with their original hub concept and now it seems like they are moving in the wrong direction.

If they had just opened up all that stuff for any app to tie into that would have really set them apart from the competition. However, those platform-exclusive features on a platform no one uses probably wouldn't have seen a lot of support.

hadareud

The Translator
As long as there is a replacement for the profile pics syncing in, I will be happy.

I much prefer using the app anyway, hardly ever used the other features in the People app as it seemed rather superfluous.

Yeah, that's the most important thing.

But I also like to view people's pictures and stuff in the hub, the integration is great.

Would be a shame if they removed one of the nicest features of WP, the social integration is so much better than on Android.

maeh2k

Goddamn it, I linked every one of my contacts that were on facebook so it would update with their pics and everything.

Why do they remove the most useful thing of the People hub? It's ridiculous.

I suspect that will still work. After all it works on Windows and outlook.com. I think they just won't show facebook posts and photos in the hub and on the contact pages.

PG2G

I'm going to have to look at it on Windows 8.1 when I get home. I thought even without a standalone Facebook account option it still showed Facebook data because it is linked server side.

hadareud

The Translator
Speaking of Android, I've tried to root my old Desire HD for the last couple of days, but it seems like you need a PHD in fuckwittery to achieve that now.

There used to be a hack kit that worked great, but it doesn't exist anymore. Now you have to go full on manual and it is a pain in the hole. Not because it's difficult (it's not), but there's a 100 steps and every time something goes wrong with the bloody HTC drivers on Windows.

I saw a nice Nexus 5 rom for it and thought I'll do some playing around, but I don't think I have the patience to see it through.

Milchjon

That's what they usually do. It does give their blog posts a nice touch.

Also, RIP People Hub.

"Microsoft appears to have removed the Facebook account option from Windows Phone 8.1, and any photo integration in the Photos app. However, Twitter is still present so it's not clear if this is a bug in the SDK or a sign that Microsoft is moving away from built-in Facebook integration like it has with Windows 8.1."

The only thing that made it useful and they removed it.

Fucking hell.

People Hub is really great, the way it ties these things together. That's a real step back.

Razdek

Banned
I don't mind the app, I will just miss the Facebook friends being removed from contacts along with their profile pic.

Yea but I have my friends grouped and it's nice to just go in and see the Facebook updates for that group. Facebook app is poor compared to the Android and IOS ones.

kazinova

An information dump like this has been long overdue, even if some of it turns out to not be true. It's nice to see that SOMETHING is happening.

I was beginning to wonder if MS forgot it had a phone OS.

Can't wait for a Belfiore demo.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
An information dump like this has been long overdue, even if some of it turns out to not be true. It's nice to see that SOMETHING is happening.

I was beginning to wonder if MS forgot it had a phone OS.

Can't wait for a Belfiore demo.

Yeah, the Mango video was great.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Yea but I have my friends grouped and it's nice to just go in and see the Facebook updates for that group. Facebook app is poor compared to the Android and IOS ones.

Yep, I have a friends group and a family group pinned to my start screen. I refuse to believe that will no longer be possible. The Facebook integration has been a pillar of the platform and one of its marquee features since the beginning.

Doesn't matter. There's always Nokia Camera. When the acquisition goes through they might even make that available to every phone.

I don't like the Nokia camera app, because it's always so slow to boot up and taking pictures with it doesn't feel any better either.

e:

Nokia Camera sucks for viewing taken pictures. I love the slide to view in the official app.

That too. It might be necessary for 1020 users, but it's really more like a necessary evil.

JaggedSac

Well, that makes the People Hub almost completely useless. Unless of course applications can tie into it, at which point it becomes more useful. But apparently that isn't the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom