• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3 Update 3| Please be excited

Status
Not open for further replies.
No news of multi-tasking for larger devices like the 1520? The Note makes a joke of the 1520 when the Note is playing a YouTube video on half of the screen and web browsing on the other half.

kharma45

Advertising ID

bYC1Vmo.jpg

hwalker84

No news of multi-tasking for larger devices like the 1520? The Note makes a joke of the 1520 when the Note is playing a YouTube video on half of the screen and web browsing on the other half.

Lastflowers can only do so much man! The team is only two people deep.

It's not getting prettier, that's for sure.

And I wish there was a calendar week indicator in the week view.

Welcome changes otherwise, though.

Edit: Does it really project via USB? Might come in handy.

Can't be worse than Android with a Windows Phone skin, can it?

OR CAN IT?!

Seriously now, Android is getting prettier with every version, even when it takes ages.

Milchjon

It's not getting prettier. It's the competition that has become uglier.

Disagree. They changed a lot for the better on the heels of Metro.

Also, iOS didn't get uglier. Cause it looked absolutely horrible before iOS7.

No matter what OS is your favorite right now, they all benefitted from MS changing the game in mobile design.

Disagree. They changed a lot for the better on the heels of Metro.

Also, iOS didn't get uglier. Cause it looked absolutely horrible before iOS7.

No matter what OS is your favorite right now, they all benefitted from MS changing the game in mobile design.

And while Microsoft has changed the game, they didn't evolve Metro on the phone that much. And from what they've tried with Metro on BigWin, they really shouldn't have bothered.

PpJxXnx.png

This is going to be four years old this month! Four years! That's like two decades in the mobile industry.

Milchjon

Oh, I know, and I don't disagree. And it doesn't make much sense. How did they manage to go from Windows Mobile to WP7 in a relatively short time, but only baby steps since then.

catmincer

Ok. downloading and saving media files via ie is a killer feature for me. It made me angry you couldn't do it before. If I find something I can stream, I can usually save it so it'd be great to have the option.

stktt

Banned
The UI is just as beautiful to me as it was in 2010. If anything, Apple and Google completely overhauling their interfaces after its release validates its general competency. Introducing much needed functionality and new features seems like a better decision than a significant design revision when the current incarnation works so well.

That being said, Windows 8 shows Microsoft isn't afraid to deviate from the established design when it benefits the experience. The Bing applications released for Windows Phone, introduction of a universal app template, and the new camera interface appear to be tentative steps towards further integration of the two Metro variation whenever Threshold/9/whatever is released, which would be fine with me. Of course, I also love the design employed in Windows 8, so there's sure to be some disagreement on the issue.

dLMN8R

God dammit. Just dropped my 920 from 3-4 feet up onto the street. Broken glass, but it still works!

No way in hell am I buying a new phone now though.

Why does april have to be so far away :\

lastflowers has worked his ass off. How can so much be done by two people!
Little do we know, lastflowers locked Tom the intern in the closet until work was complete.

Finally this too. NFC tap to pay
Dont we already have this through fast cards? Then again I guess it will allow you to just tap instead of having to open up the wallet app...
Edit: Nope, we already have this. http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/how-to/wp8/basics/wallet-faq

...Anyhow it will take Rogers another couple of years before they get around to deploying their stupid proprietary SureTap system for Windows Phones (They said they would have them last year. But nope. -.-)

Milchjon

Come on guys, don't be greedy.

Can't expect them to do all that stuff while they're busy removing beloved features.

I'm kidding. Overall, the update is looking good to me.

Razdek

Banned
The update looks like it fills a lot of the holes but there isn't a feature that's made me say wow yet. I'm not going to believe there are some secret wow features they're keeping quite about especially what happened at the WP8 reveal. Hopefully this is the version that takes off and gets them to double digit market share.

Can someone explain what the browser upgrades are? No webkit compatibility?

I hate it when my iphone/android friends tell me this that website works on their device but not on my WP8.

At MWC; 8.1 news, Icon, etc will probably be all eclipsed by Nokia Normandy news. journalist will call it the beginning of the end for WP and MS's mobile presence.

Nutella, save us!!!

PG2G

I don't think Icon will be at MWC. They wouldn't announce a US carrier exclusive at a world conference. Not to mention, Verizon likes to do everything themselves.

Is that tidbit about 8.1 apps not working on WP8 devices true?

I really hope microsoft has a plan for getting regional carriers to push the update (poor EOL'd lumia 810 owners)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom