• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3 Update 3| Please be excited

Status
Not open for further replies.
Goddamn it, I linked every one of my contacts that were on facebook so it would update with their pics and everything.

Why do they remove the most useful thing of the People hub? It's ridiculous.
The worst part of this is that I won't be able to post to Facebook and twitter using the Me Hub now -_-

f0lken

Have you seen Flipmag? Right now is in beta, but damn, it is fast and visually great, is kinda an alternative to Flipboard (I just wish they choose another name) and right now it lacks options, but it has great potential. I'll keep an eye on it

Fjolle

The f.. Are they trying to copy all the shit things from android? It's nice that you can chose your own messaging app, but without any integration you will end up with 5 different apps that should be one.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
http://wmpoweruser.com/windows-phone-8-1-will-support-screens-as-small-as-384-x-640/

... and that's probably it for Nokia's Android phone. If they go down to resolutions as low as 640x384 I'd imagine they can throw the OS on the same device.
I still think Microsoft should probably keep it and sell it in emerging markets to hedge its bets and establish themselves on Android.

WP #dead

edit: Milch: http://www.zdnet.com/windows-phone-8-1-the-latest-on-whats-on-the-leaked-feature-list-7000026208/

maeh2k

Hmmm, Facebook Blue app integrated into the OS? Crisis averted?

Source? Integrated to what extent? And can other apps integrate themselves? Technically Skype is integrated, too, since it shows up on contacts, but that integration is pretty limited and I don't think any app could do that on WP8.

JaggedSac

Source? Integrated to what extent? And can other apps integrate themselves? Technically Skype is integrated, too, since it shows up on contacts, but that integration is pretty limited and I don't think any app could do that on WP8.

https://twitter.com/AngelWZR/status/433294663928135680/photo/1

BgNfM37CQAEXlft.png

hwalker84

No Facebook thing doesn't sound good at all. Liking what I'm hearing. Would love to be in an early build.

One thing I'd love is to be able to filter out photo albums. I have some redundant from facebook and skydrive and some that are empty.

JaggedSac

I don't get it, built in integration is being dropped in favor of the share contract?

Seems like they are going for a more generic integration, but with Facebook as an exception, which seems to be getting an even deeper integration. Which is strange, since Facebook seems to be becoming passe.

dLMN8R

I don't have any information about this specific feature (otherwise I wouldn't say anything), but why wouldn't you want this instead of the existing integration? The existing integration sucks, because it can't be updated as fast as apps (if at all) to respond to bug fixes or new features added by Facebook and others.

I don't have any information about this specific feature (otherwise I wouldn't say anything), but why wouldn't you want this instead of the existing integration? The existing integration sucks, because it can't be updated as fast as apps (if at all) to respond to bug fixes or new features added by Facebook and others.

Because we don't know anything about the new integration and the concept of the People Hub was really nice. If the concept stays and it's just going to need an external app to provide the data, then it's all good.

Say I have my address book. It got the list of all my contacts with their number and maybe address. I install Facebook and then magic happens and my address book is filled with the Facebook data of the contacts that are there. I install WhatApp and even more magic happens and a "write on WhatApp" appears on the contact profile. Same with Skype or Twitter. That's how it should be and how it should've been from the beginning, ever since they introduced the hubs.

maeh2k

That's not even me being pessimistic. Even if Windows Phone is successful and gets to like 20% market share, most mobile computing will still happen on Android. Running Android on Asha-style devices in emerging market doesn't necessarily diminish Microsoft's Windows Phone efforts.

Microsoft could keep the Android fork around with a Windows Phony UI, bundle all Microsoft apps and services (that they are building for Android, anyway), and create their own market place.

I wonder how hard it would be for Microsoft to create their own Android IDE (i.e. allow you to build Android apps in Visual Studio). If Microsoft's 'dev-div' operated like an independent company, they would certainly support Android, since a significant part of development happens on Android nowadays.
They could buy Xamarin to allow you to use C# for Android development and use that to encourage cross platform development for Windows Phone as well as to encourage deployment of Android apps (that don't rely on Google-specific APIs) to their hypothetical Android store. Since they make by far the best dev tools, maybe they could use the dev angle to carve out a niche on Android while simultaneously boosting Windows Phone development.

Zeknurn

Anything to increase the marketshare. If they can replace Asha phones with well performing Windows Phones then I'd say that's a win for everyone.

dLMN8R

Because we don't know anything about the new integration and the concept of the People Hub was really nice. If the concept stays and it's just going to need an external app to provide the data, then it's all good.

Say I have my address book. It got the list of all my contacts with their number and maybe address. I install Facebook and then magic happens and my address book is filled with the Facebook data of the contacts that are there. I install WhatApp and even more magic happens and a "write on WhatApp" appears on the contact profile. Same with Skype or Twitter. That's how it should be and how it should've been from the beginning, even since they introduced the hubs.

If this new functionality in Windows Phone 8.1 is anything like Windows 8.1, then the same People Hub functionality can be reproduced almost exactly by extending the platform support for integration with third party apps instead of building it into the OS.

Even in Windows Phone 8 there's limited support for People hub integration with third party apps. Like how Skype adds a "call this person on Skype" link when viewing their contact card.

If this new functionality in Windows Phone 8.1 is anything like Windows 8.1, then the same People Hub functionality can be reproduced almost exactly by extending the platform support for integration with third party apps instead of building it into the OS.

Even in Windows Phone 8 there's limited support for People hub integration with third party apps. Like how Skype adds a "call this person on Skype" link when viewing their contact card.

What? Does W8.1 people app support that? I think I haven't seen a single app hooking it up with it xD

Milchjon

It's not getting prettier, that's for sure.

And I wish there was a calendar week indicator in the week view.

Welcome changes otherwise, though.

Edit: Does it really project via USB? Might come in handy.

Milchjon

I still think the SkyDrive logo is kinda wonky. I wish they would've made it a little bit more harmonic along with the name change.

Lock screen is interesting, they've cleared the middle of the screen out. Notifications listed in the middle similar to iOS?

Hoping a IE UI refresh is just not in the SDK emulator in this build...

For the most part it looks great though, lots of cool new features. Projecting the screen is pretty sweet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom