• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3 Update 3| Please be excited

Status
Not open for further replies.

hadareud

The Translator
I agree with the gentleman with the avatar of the spaghetti haired stepovery cunt when he was still spaghetti haired and stepovery.

Milchjon

Public dev preview of 8.1 confirmed for April 2nd.

Invites for a closed preview are going out now.

Am excited!

My birthday is in mid June. Any chance I'll be able to use 8.1 then?

God, this is getting hilarious. One year is stretching it. 15-18 months is kinda embarrassing. But it looks like it'll take even longer than that now?

Pretty sure you will be getting a 1020.

edit: That Nokia/Android thread is pretty funny.
might hold on to my 920 a while longer and get my GF an unlocked Verizon HTC 8X for $149 rather then buying myself the 1020 for about $400 and handing her down my 920. looking to move into those new ATT mobile shared plan and upgrading her T-Mobile HD7 to an ATT compatible WP8.

Es7rfNC.jpg

flappy birds exclusive for WP!!!

maeh2k

So I asked my sister's boyfriend about the issues with the 8X. Turns out it's not a messaging issue, after all.
He said the phone frequently freezes or reboots (which led him to not 'get' the messages).

No idea how often it happened exactly. Could be a hardware defect or software issue. When he gets his new Xperia Z1 Compact I'll do a factory reset on the 8X and test it myself. If it's a software issue, I'll buy the phone off him t replace my LG Optimus 7.

My mum had some bad issues with a sim card. If he is using the sim card from in the box, that might be the issue. Getting a new one fixed all of my mother's issues.

hadareud

The Translator
My birthday is in mid June. Any chance I'll be able to use 8.1 then?

God, this is getting hilarious. One year is stretching it. 15-18 months is kinda embarrassing. But it looks like it'll take even longer than that now?

It's taking so long ...

April 2nd means April 2nd.

If you have the developer preview enabled you'll be able to download it then.

It's a month and a half from now. Took long enough of course, but now it's genuinely close. Take away this week and the week it comes, that's only 6 weeks. Since February isn't a real month anyway, it's basically only 4 weeks. 3, really.

kharma45

Few things

WP8.1 will support javascript for programming.

WP and WinRt are categorize now under Store Apps in visual studio.

app list unchanged

OGfTMaM.png

Battery sense (see what apps are taking the charge), data sense and storage sense. Oh there is a new podcast app and bings app are install by default.

AXyt5ov.png

maeh2k

I still don't have black update on my 920. don't know when I will get 8.1 :(
3 Italy sucks!!!!!!

Fortunately, the black update isn't that big of a deal, so waiting shouldn't be too hard. If they take too long with 8.1 there are of course other options. E.g. with a developer account you could get 8.1 as soon as April. And there are ways to flash updates manually.

Tomcat

Fortunately, the black update isn't that big of a deal, so waiting shouldn't be too hard. If they take too long with 8.1 there are of course other options. E.g. with a developer account you could get 8.1 as soon as April. And there are ways to flash updates manually.

yeah I know its not big deal that's why I have tried other methods yet. I wont accept it for 8.1 though

maeh2k

Few things

WP8.1 will support javascript for programming.

WP and WinRt are categorize now under Store Apps in visual studio.

app list unchanged

OGfTMaM.png

Battery sense (see what apps are taking the charge), data sense and storage sense. Oh there is a new podcast app and bings app are install by default.

AXyt5ov.png

Battery sense is a welcome feature. It's good that Windows Phone and Windows are moving a bit closer together and it should make porting Javascript Windows apps to Windows Phone easier, but since the vast majority of Windows apps are written in C# anyway, it probably won't much matter.

Tomcat

Battery sense is great news. Podcast app will be again only US??
I cant see any podcast app on the pics. Is there a source for that?

kharma45

Few other things

no more music+video. Now there is a music app that is exactly like xbox music. Same for the video app.

skydrive is now OneDrive.

GridView and ListView joing the WP family.

SD CARD install! But you can change the manifest to prevent your app from being install in SD.

PG2G

He must know someone with the SDK, lol

Edit: from Reddit. Interesting that there is an option to choose which app you receive texts with. WP could be opening up a bit (with the talk of separate keyboards too). Dunno how to get a link from Baconit

What about IE, does it now syncs favs and tabs with metro IE on 8.1?

MS also promised the reading list app for WP, is it installed too?

Xbone smartglass is still a separated app, or it's integrated to the games hub like the 360 one?

Tomcat

Edit: from Reddit. Interesting that there is an option to choose which app you receive texts with. WP could be opening up a bit (with the talk of separate keyboards too). Dunno how to get a link from Baconit

can you give a link. reddit is a mess to search lol

Few other things

no more music+video. Now there is a music app that is exactly like xbox music. Same for the video app.

skydrive is now OneDrive.

GridView and ListView joing the WP family.

SD CARD install! But you can change the manifest to prevent your app from being install in SD.

Interesting. I wont have to rely on the Toolkit for ListBox anymore if I can just use ListView in the OS. Seeing all the new stuff, I already have Ideas for how I want to redo the Anitro UI.

So I take from this and the music +video info that they are moving away from the hubs...

Such a shame, would prefer to have more Apis which apps could use to hook up with the hubs...

So I take from this and the music +video info that they are moving away from the hubs...

Such a shame, would prefer to have more Apis which apps could use to hook up with the hubs...

That or they are just being split into two separate subs. Which I kind of hope they are considering how useful hubs are. That said, looking at his list of changes, as a developer, I'm extremely excited for the new tools and APIs.

Blackhead

Redarse
I'll never understand why Microsoft had limited Hubs so much. It's a really good idea that would third party developers should be able to easily plug into

Razdek

Banned
What's the point of revealing WP8.1 at build if we already know half (or probably all) of the new features by then?

They're going for the secret features that they don't want others to copy like they did with WP8. Which means there are no secret features. Everything should be leaked soon with the SDK out.

hadareud

The Translator
Yeah, that's what I'm thinking.

We'll have seen everything in the next few days, apart from Cortana because that's locked.

kharma45

More stuff

No more silverlight. So apps now can share XAML between WinRT and WP8 (sometimes whole pages).

Instead of an AppBard there is a commandbard. (only bottom) You can bind to the buttons.

Tilt no longer requires a toolkit. Instead is build into most control styles using PointerDownThemeAnimation .

Goodbye XAP hello APPX.

Back button doesn't terminate the app. The whole life cycle is like win rt.

Back button doesnt go back by default, instead you do this:
Code:
public App() { this.InitializeComponent(); this.Suspending += OnSuspending; Windows.Phone.UI.Input.HardwareButtons.BackPressed += HardwareButtons_BackPressed; }

void HardwareButtons_BackPressed(object sender, Windows.Phone.UI.Input.BackPressedEventArgs e)
{
    Frame rootFrame = Window.Current.Content as Frame;

if (rootFrame != null)
    {
        if (rootFrame.CanGoBack)
        {
            rootFrame.GoBack();
            e.Handled = true;
        }
    }
}

Navigation: this.Frame.Navigate(typeof(AboutPage));

maeh2k

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking.

We'll have seen everything in the next few days, apart from Cortana because that's locked.

Not just Cortana:
The OS is still missing action center, cortana, bing search and the store.

So I don't expect any leaks about user-facing features from the SDK. But I like what I'm reading about the developer side.

hadareud

The Translator
Fair enough.

It does sound like there's a lot of new stuff, which is great.

Not sure I like the back button stuff, but I'll have to see it in action before judging.

PG2G

He also suggested that background execution has been completely reworked.

Sounds like there is plenty of room for compatibility issues.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Loving the leaks, can't wait to install this on my "developer" device.

Have you tried using the grip case that extends the battery life?

Yes, that helps a bit, but it doesn't protect much and makes it impractical to carry around so I only use it when I hike or special occasions.

I'm waiting until Nokia reveals their next flagship before making any decisions. The 1520 is beautiful, but its screen is so absurdly huge that I can't see myself using it on a daily basis.

I really don't think the size will be an issue. At all. My phone is more computer and entertainment device than phone. I think a wired headset will suffice.

LOL. Van don't do it! (Even though I've been thinking of switching my company plan so that I can upgrade). Still holding out for the inevitable WP8.1 launch lineup.

The way I see it, the next Nokia flagship and the next flagship iPhone won't be out until October or so. That's 8 months. I'll just sell the 1520 then and buy whatever the best phone is for me in the fall. I'm hoping its a 1020 successor.

maeh2k

Compatibility with what? You mean running old apps?

I think the sooner they align Windows Phone with Windows the better. It's good they are adopting the same life cycle model and probably background execution model.

I just hope they'll get it right this time and won't have to overhaul the entire system within two years -- i.e. if Windows Phone still exists in two years ;)

There will likely be a compatibility layer which un-updated apps would reference. No way in hell are they going to force developers to update their apps again so soon. That would be a sure way to lose almost every ground they had gained this past year.

hwalker84

The way I see it, the next Nokia flagship and the next flagship iPhone won't be out until October or so. That's 8 months. I'll just sell the 1520 then and buy whatever the best phone is for me in the fall. I'm hoping its a 1020 successor.

You really don't think they have something up their sleeve for 8.1? They gotta be working on something dropping in April/May

hadareud

The Translator
Yeah, I'm almost certain that we will see the 920 successor coming out alongside 8.1.

Also a mid range device.

Hoping for the 1020 successor in October too.

PG2G

I have my doubts what a 930 could do that the Icon and 1520 aren't. Perhaps additional sensors or no hardware buttons?

The SoC probably wont change.

hadareud

The Translator
My guess:

Same SOC, same camera, same screen (5" 1080p), but I think it will have additional sensors for the rumoured off-screen gestures, like you say.

Built-in wireless charging with the updated Qi coil that is smaller and lighter and allows for bigger distance between the plate and the phone (details here).

Maybe a few other small additions.

So in essence, yeah, same phone with different marketing.

Lucius86

Banned
How are developers getting notified? I've not seen anything in my inbox.

I may have to update my app seeing the back button changes.

maeh2k

I like that they are apparently changing the multi-tasking view to allow you to swipe the apps to close them instead of having the x-button on every card. No idea what took them this long.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom