• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3 Update 3| Please be excited

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah battery life on smartphones isn't exactly accelerating at an equal rate of the rest of the tech.

I just submitted and bought a second Qi charger that I have on my desk at work. Usually just place it on there in the afternoon and then I don't have to worry about it.

I wonder how the battery life on the Icon compares (bigger battery, chip set is apparently more efficient, 2GB of RAM).

JaggedSac

Tom Warren tweeted a pic of what I guess the Cortana stuff probably looks like. I'm a noob and don't know how to link that crap here though.

Milchjon

Tom Warren tweeted a pic of what I guess the Cortana stuff probably looks like. I'm a noob and don't know how to link that crap here though.

BgmD-wMIYAA1pUE.jpg

@mdtauk that's from Halo, but as you'll see from the image resources it's almost identical:)

BgmI2eEIMAEkUGM.jpg

@mdtauk yup, but most of it has been pulled out properly. That red circle with the accent color will be the indicator

All this whining about battery life, and yet I get crap anytime I say I want to buy the 1520. My phone woke up on critical this morning. I feel like I have to have the phone constantly plugged in. I'd love to wait for mwc, but even if Nokia announces a phone there, its not like we'll get it anytime soon.

You get shit for the 1520, because it's a fucking huge and silly looking face slapper with no benefit to its size and weight, other than the battery life. You might as well buy an HTC One Max.

dFuctxS.jpg

As you can see, this is really serious business.

You get shit for the 1520, because it's a fucking huge and silly looking face slapper with no benefit to its size and weight, other than the battery life. You might as well buy an HTC One Max.

dFuctxS.jpg

LOL. Hiding the face in shame?

5 inches is the absolute max I'd want in a phone.

Ave22

What's the best app to listen to old podcasts? Old, meaning I have to pay for them and bring them over as mp3 files. I want to be able to save my listening position.

Lucius86

Banned
Unlike apple, MS doesn't cripple its phones with newer updates. And considering that they have been focusing with all recent updates to make WP run with even lower power hardware I wouldn't be worried.

Yep, but this is a pretty meaty update with a lot of new features and configurable options. We shall see.

I must admit, I really want the new Visual Studio for 8.1 WP development - I'm a little gutted I cannot work on my app a bit more for the new OS yet.

Why isn't the music store tied to your Xbox Music account, so you can add items to your collection from there too?

This makes Shazam, Bing music search and similar incredibly non useful if you don't want to buy the song individually.

JaggedSac

Why isn't the music store tied to your Xbox Music account, so you can add items to your collection from there too?

This makes Shazam, Bing music search and similar incredibly non useful if you don't want to buy the song individually.

Huh? I can Bing music listen and search a song, it takes me to the store and I can download it for free with my subscription. Is that not happening with you?

Although some songs in XBox Music are not available for free with the sub, perhaps you found some of those.

JaggedSac

What are these quiz games you guys are talking about? Is it like wordament but with quizzes? As in everyone is getting the same questions and playing at the same time?

Huh? I can Bing music listen and search a song, it takes me to the store and I can download it for free with my subscription. Is that not happening with you?

Although some songs in XBox Music are not available for free with the sub, perhaps you found some of those.

No, it says not available and asks me to purchase.

I though that was just that at first too, but opening the xbox music and searching for the same song did show it available with the sub...

I just noticed the xbox music app takes forever to log me in, perhaps the store also is taking its while to see my credentials?

Edit: Indeed that was it. If I download it, will it be it added to my account collection (as in, will it reflect on all my devices?). I actually don't want to download it now, just add to my collection...

PG2G

No, it says not available and asks me to purchase.

I though that was just that at first too, but opening the xbox music and searching for the same song did show it available with the sub...

I just noticed the xbox music app takes forever to log me in, perhaps the store also is taking its while to see my credentials?

Edit: Indeed that was it. If I download it, will it be it added to my account collection (as in, will it reflect on all my devices?). I actually don't want to download it now, just add to my collection...

I don't believe the concept of a Collection existed in the original Music app. You can add to Collection in Xbox Music app for now.

I don't believe the concept of a Collection existed in the original Music app. You can add to Collection in Xbox Music app for now.

If I add the music right away from my cell it works, but I downloaded a song through the store, and tried opening the Xbox Music app. It was added as it were in my collection even if I removed the song from my cell, but it wouldn't sync with other devices... I ended up having to delete the music from my collection (from my phone) and then re-adding it through the xbox music app.

Hope 8.1 improves that.

dLMN8R

dFuctxS.jpg

If only HTC went Android they wouldn't be a failing business with amazing phones like this.

J. Bravo

My phone makes it about 8-10 hours before needing to be charged. I'd I'm going out I make sure to charge it beforehand so it doesn't die.

also, will I ever be able to take screenshots in 6snap?

José Mourinho;101210804 said:
It's an incredibly rare occasion that my 820 makes it from 9-5 without needing charged. Battery life has been grim since the day it came out of the box.
Mine usually makes it a couple days of moderate to high usage before I need to charge it. So it was definitely jinxed today

terrier

helo WP users, a n5 owner here, but i have the chance to get a secondary 'spare' phone and i am tempted, amongs others, to get a 925, as i heard it has one of the best cameras around. Is it better than z1's?¿
How is battery life on the device.
Thanks in advance

Windows Phone 8.1 Swipe Keyboard demoed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEdVSMrs0Rw

"Another nice addition that you might have noticed towards the end of the video is the Emoticon prediction after having typed the word “Happy”. This should do away with having to press a key to switch to the Emoticon view and then having to select the emoticon. Nice & Simple addition by Microsoft.

Another feature that seems to have been added with this Windows Phone 8.1 update is the option to Capitalize the first letter of a sentence. Another convenient addition."

http://unleashthephones.com/2014/02/18/exclusive-swipe-keyboard-windows-phone-8-1-blue/

hwalker84

Hmm. Phone saying 100% charged. Windows Phone Sync app says 18% charged. That would explain my pathetic battery life as of late. Now how to fix.

kazinova

Some app on my phone is causing someserious battery drain. I haven't paid enough attention but when I look at my phone and see it's at 50% after an hour or getting warm in my pocket for no reason; a quick restart usually stops it from killing itself.

Number 1 fix I'd like to see in 8.1. No more random draining.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Battery. Battery. Battery. Battery.

It's pretty important. So is the screen. So is having an awesome camera. You know which windows phone has all that? The 1520.

hadareud

The Translator
The battery on my 1020 quite easily lasts the day. Even with a bit of fake Flappy Bird thrown in. The 920 did too, maybe an hour or two less.

According to battery sense my average battery life is 22.33 hours.

It's not great but also not horrible. Another few hours won't change much for me, once the batteries start lasting 3 days or more with average to high usage, we can talk again. Until then I have wireless charging.

The battery on my 1020 quite easily lasts the day. Even with a bit of fake Flappy Bird thrown in. The 920 did too, maybe an hour or two less.

According to battery sense my average battery life is 22.33 hours.

It's not great but also not horrible. Another few hours won't change much for me, once the batteries start lasting 3 days or more with average to high usage, we can talk again. Until then I have wireless charging.

That's how long I'm getting too.

I love it because I can use it mildly extensively all day long, and still lasts until I'm going to sleep, when I put it to charge.

I'm pissed about wireless charging, though. They still don't make a white cover ¬¬

Nokia Lumia Icon got Verge'd.

Nokia Lumia Icon

Good Stuff
  • Gorgeous display
  • Fantastic performance
  • High-res photos are awesomely malleable

Bad Stuff

• Bland, compromised design
  • Still some ecosystem problems
  • Middling camera performance in places

"I expected more from a phone called Icon

Verizon has a long history of dictating design and functionality for its cellphones, and the Nokia Lumia Icon bears those same marks. There are good ideas everywhere — the single-piece aluminum, the 5-inch 1080p display, the 20-megapixel camera — but the finished product feels boardroom-approved at the expense of anything truly interesting. Nokia's capable of much more, and I expected much more from a phone called Icon.

Ultimately, this phone appeals to one customer: the Verizon subscriber who really wants a Windows Phone device. There are certainly those people, but I can't imagine anyone walking into a store looking for an iPhone or Galaxy S4 and leaving instead with a Lumia Icon. That's what this phone was supposed to do: showcase the true power and possibility of Windows Phone 8 by wrapping it in such an irresistible package that buyers wouldn't be able to look away. It doesn't quite get there.

The first Walkman. The original Game Boy. The clickable, spinning iPod. The Polaroid camera. Those are icons, gadgets I can close my eyes and imagine perfectly even now. The Lumia Icon doesn't qualify. It's not bad, far from it. It's just utterly forgettable. And for Nokia, for Windows Phone, for Microsoft, forgettable is dangerous.
"

http://www.theverge.com/2014/2/18/5420890/nokia-lumia-icon-review

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Nokia Lumia Icon got Verge'd.

Nokia Lumia Icon

Good Stuff
  • Gorgeous display
  • Fantastic performance
  • High-res photos are awesomely malleable

Bad Stuff

• Bland, compromised design
  • Still some ecosystem problems
  • Middling camera performance in places

"I expected more from a phone called Icon

Verizon has a long history of dictating design and functionality for its cellphones, and the Nokia Lumia Icon bears those same marks. There are good ideas everywhere — the single-piece aluminum, the 5-inch 1080p display, the 20-megapixel camera — but the finished product feels boardroom-approved at the expense of anything truly interesting. Nokia's capable of much more, and I expected much more from a phone called Icon.

Ultimately, this phone appeals to one customer: the Verizon subscriber who really wants a Windows Phone device. There are certainly those people, but I can't imagine anyone walking into a store looking for an iPhone or Galaxy S4 and leaving instead with a Lumia Icon. That's what this phone was supposed to do: showcase the true power and possibility of Windows Phone 8 by wrapping it in such an irresistible package that buyers wouldn't be able to look away. It doesn't quite get there.

The first Walkman. The original Game Boy. The clickable, spinning iPod. The Polaroid camera. Those are icons, gadgets I can close my eyes and imagine perfectly even now. The Lumia Icon doesn't qualify. It's not bad, far from it. It's just utterly forgettable. And for Nokia, for Windows Phone, for Microsoft, forgettable is dangerous.
"

http://www.theverge.com/2014/2/18/5420890/nokia-lumia-icon-review

Fucking :lol

Can't believe he goes on about the name.

PG2G

Hmm. Phone saying 100% charged. Windows Phone Sync app says 18% charged. That would explain my pathetic battery life as of late. Now how to fix.

That is an interesting one, lol. Do you ever let your phone get a full discharge? That might help it recalibrate.

JaggedSac

You should've seen/heard the last Vergecast. Nilay fucking trashed the phone. It was fun.

That dude rubs me the wrong way, in pretty much anything he has ever said. He seems to think he knows so much about everything, but I never get that feeling from he what he says.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
You should've seen/heard the last Vergecast. Nilay fucking trashed the phone. It was fun.

Haha, I saw Tom Warren tweet something about that Vergecast, but wasn't sure what happened. Mary Jo has claimed about the weight, but surely it weighs less than the 920, and if that's the case I'm sure it is fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom