• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3 Update 3| Please be excited

Status
Not open for further replies.
You are such a downer, brot. Not that I disagree with you. I am hoping leak stuff is just what in the SDK and we will get new UX stuffs later. One can dream.

Hey, at least I'm not talking about how Microsoft should just drop Windows Phone and fork Android instead. btw, have you seen the red Nexus 5? It looks so sexy.

1 hour since charge
32% left
1 hr remaining

My 1020 am cry!

Yeah, I kinda hate my 920 for its battery. Can't play a game without it getting warm and dying.

hadareud

The Translator
I'm still not impressed by the next Windows Phone version. It's catch-up features and refinements of existing things out there. It's cool that the platform is getting those things, but it's only exciting, because we didn't get anything substantial for 18 months.

Isn't it a bit early to make a judgment considering that according to some people in the know there's a lot of stuff we haven't yet seen?

hwalker84

Hey, at least I'm not talking about how Microsoft should just drop Windows Phone and fork Android instead. btw, have you seen the red Nexus 5? It looks so sexy.

Yeah, I kinda hate my 920 for its battery. Can't play a game without it getting warm and dying.
That was without doing anything besides turning on my GPS to drive somewhere which was 15 minutes away. I'm just going to let it completely die. Seemed to work with my 520.

I convinced a friend to buy a Lumia 521 on MetroPCS yesterday. I felt like such a salesman, but it really is a solid phone for essentially the $29.99 advertised price. Of course, this was an upgrade to him from a feature phone that lost internet and actually showed him ads lol.

ouch!

Huawei Vitria is the same price on Metro.

Is there something I'm missing with the Xbox Music app's now playing functions? I add a few songs to now playing but it never seems to work. On my desktop I do that and it plays them all in a row, whereas there doesn't seem to be anything on the phone where I could see that.

Isn't it a bit early to make a judgment considering that according to some people in the know there's a lot of stuff we haven't yet seen?

I can only comment on what other people started talking about. As soon as someone talks about more things, I can comment on that as well.

joshschw

After accidentally hurling my beautiful yellow 920 into a lamp post and having the screen combust, I decided - fyi: didn't have money for anything else - to get a 520 for $59 from the Microsoft Store.

It's quite the downgrade, especially for someone who loved the 920 camera so much and used it so often. However, it seems okay, I like the smaller size somewhat - maybe a 925 would give me the best of both worlds.

hadareud

The Translator
Features revealed so far as per the Verge:

Media Enhancements

•Media editing: audio and video; Audio effects, video effects; Slow motion video
•Apps can capture audio/video from themselves
•Media files that are downloaded via IE are automatically added to your phone XBOX Media library. (mp3s are added to XBOX Music, videos to XBOX Video)
•Stereoscopic 3d support
•YouTube Player including HTML5 video support (video playback doesn't have to be full screen) And you get custom UI, so YouTube Closed Captions are in
•Separate volume controls for ringer, media, etc.

•PlayTo support

Networking / Connectivity

•Wi-Fi Direct, a Wi-Fi standard allowing direct peer-to-peer connections over Wi-Fi without an access point
•VPN (Virtual Private Network)
•Bluetooth 4.0 LE (to non-Lumia Windows Phones)
•Feature to mirror Windows Phone screens to TVs and/or monitors
•USB choices

System Enhancements

•Moving closer to universal metro apps (.appx)
•Background tasks: Bluetooth signal strength, Chat message notification, Device connection change, Device use trigger, Gatt characteristic notification, Location, Push notification, Rfcomm connection, System event, Timer
•File picker
•Geofencing API for location-based reminders
•‘Battery Power Sense’ info regarding battery usage and percentage remaining. Also lists in order which apps are using the most battery power (nice!)
•Ability to install apps on inserted SD Cards
•Auto-updates for apps (just like Windows 8.1)
•Better backup functionality
•Support for new screen sizes: qHD and QHD (1440 x 2560) and smaller (384 x 640)
•Almost every API in WinRT can run on WP8.1 (WinPRT) these include video and audio transcoding.
•Better Data sense that auto compresses web pages to your specified setting (high, standard, auto, off)
•Ability to add 'trusted' NFC tags/devices so you are longer always prompted to accept content from them
•Screen recorder: Ability to capture screen activity

Apps

•No Facebook integration in People Hub. 'Facebook Blue' app to be installed as default
•Photo hub decoupled e.g Facebook photo thumbnails will no longer directly appear, a hook/link to Facebook photos will be used instead to view the photos within the app.
•Redesigned Xbox Game Hub
•Xbox Music and Xbox Video as standalone apps instead of the Music + Video Hub (allowing more updates to be pushed)
•Updated camera layout, similar to Windows 8.1 including burst mode. You can specify retention period for burst photos to stop them filling your phone.
•OneDrive (previously SkyDrive) with integrated file browser (just like Windows 8.1)
•IE11 improved with WebGL and Normal mapping support. IE Tabs button has been removed and multi task view is now the main way of viewing your tabs.
•IE has a password manager, and most likely syncs with desktop IE
•IE has ability to upload and download files. Downloads are stored in the download folder, files in this can be shared to apps and NFC
•IE has a reading mode and inPrivate browsing mode
•Twitter integrated more deeply into the contacts Hub
•Ability to select your own default messaging app
•Podcast app
•Ability to post to multiple social sites removed. Instead it will work more like the share charm in Windows 8 where you are presented with a list apps you can share the content with, and can only select one.
•Calendar App has a new weekly view
•Bing apps across phone and PC will sync together using MS single sign account
•People hub now has the ability to show contacts who only have phone numbers
•Speed dial

Search and New Services

•Single sign-in for apps (like on Windows 8) with Microsoft Account; sign in will persist across devices + apps with permissions prompt
•Cortana personal assistant that utilises Bing services and FourSquare datasets.
•Bing smart search (similar search system as Windows 8.1)
•iCloud support

Compatibility

•Windows Phone 8.1 apps won't run on 8.0 devices until they upgrade
• Documentation confirms ALL current Windows Phone 8 hardware to get 8.1

Navigation and UI

•Slide down to close apps
•Navigation bar color selection
•Back button doesn't terminate the app instead it suspends the app
•More efficient multitasking
•Filter through installed apps by usage/install date
•Quick settings access (Wi-Fi, Bluetooth) by doing a quick swipe from the top of the screen
•Action Center (notifications) accessed by doing a full swipe from up to the bottom
•Ability for apps to issue Silent notifications, update/delete notifications
• RUMOUR: new ‘large’ tile size
• RUMOUR: mark a Live Tile as read by swiping from the left of said tile
• RUMOUR: Improved keyboard possibly like android ‘swype’ (unofficial tip off from Tom Warren)
• Ability to choose your own start screen background
•Functionality for On screen windows phone buttons that you can swipe away
•Search button is 'frozen' when using 'full screen' apps to prevent accidental launch of Bing search. When the user is: Taking a photo, Capturing a video, playing games the search button will only work if you double tap it. This is following complaints of users accidentally launching search under the scenarios mentioned above.
•Pivots are using slightly smaller typography (basically title text doesn't use up so much screen space!)
•Tweaked transition animations
•WP uses same progress ring as Windows now.
•Three column tile support (probably only Lumia 1020 and 920)

And some rumoured stuff from WPC:

Windows Phone 8.1 new feature changes (subject to change upon RTM)
•Sharing secured WI-Fi Networks with contacts if they have Wi-Fi Sense. They don’t get to see the shared password though
•Social notifications will now show up in Action Center by swiping from the top of the screen
•Operators can now control Data Sense limits remotely
•Operators can also install certain applications once a SIM card is detected
•Along with normal updates, there are now “important” updates.
•Options to always download emails and pictures within them
•Encrypted and signed e-mail support
•Change default SMS app. You can also change which SMS app will show notifications.
•Enterprise enrolled phones can have their passwords changed and remotely locked
•“Write, when I swipe through letters”. That should be self-explanatory
•Geofence monitoring support. Geofence is a boundary around a place of interest to you. Location services can monitor geofences to tell your apps when you’re entering and leaving them. This would be really good for IFTTT
•Office Lens support. Will scan in documents and screens
•The phone will have to update to the latest version before you can restore it to factory settings
•Option to update store apps automatically
•Option to update store apps when only on Wi-Fi
•App Suggestions by location
•Manual Update checks
•Password protected Office document support
•Trusted app list for NFC that will remove the need for asking whether you want to open a particular app.
•In-call speech commands. You’ll be able to say “Call XXXXXX”.
•Double-Tap to unlock your phone (Feature from Lumia devices on Amber Update and newer)
•Quiet Hours
•Double Tap to Power Off
•Notification if charger isn’t of adequate power
•Screenshot button combination is now Power + Volume Up
•Chkdsk for SD Cards essentially
•Apps on SD Cards are only allowed from ONE originating phone. If it detects that apps from another phone are installed on the SD Card, then it will ask to delete those first
•Voice Narrator for Accessibility
•The Search button will be the new way to open Speech instead of the Start button (Since the newer phones will have the start button on screen)
•New Email sync options with accordance to usage patterns (i.e. If you get a lot of mail on particular days and if you don’t check mail every day).
•Change the size and amount of tiles on your start screen.
•Wallet supports tickets and membership cards
•App Syncing
•Backups now include application data (ABOUT TIME)
•Screen Reader functionality (Maybe Text-To-Speech for apps?)
•Screen Recording functionality
•Inner Circle of contacts. Up to 40 contacts can be in the inner circle.
•You can favorite photos by tapping a heart icon
•Virtual SmartCard support

hadareud

The Translator
It's a bit of a shame that so much stuff has already leaked.

I'd much rather have heard and seen all of those features the first time at the official announcement. First of all some of the features will make much more sense in context and it's also nice to have a bit of a surprise element too.

Wife and friend not going to be happy about de-coupling of Facebook from People Hub, I hope you still get notification there and it open to Facebook Blue app. I am curious if this is because for the ease of update and / or Facebook doesn't want such integration. (Due to the fact that they want ads revenue).

derFeef

Wife and friend not going to be happy about de-coupling of Facebook from People Hub, I hope you still get notification there and it open to Facebook Blue app. I am curious if this is because for the ease of update and / or Facebook doesn't want such integration. (Due to the fact that they want ads revenue).

I don't like that either, People Hub is really useless then.
Do they take Twitter integreation away too?

dLMN8R

I told you guys this months ago - the team deliberately intended to do an 18-month release instead of 12-month because they could get well more than 50% additional features in for 50% more time. So much of a development cycle is overhead on simply releasing the thing.

I told you guys this months ago - the team deliberately intended to do an 18-month release instead of 12-month because they could get well more than 50% additional features in for 50% more time. So much of a development cycle is overhead on simply releasing the thing.

Yeah, but we didn't believe you because the Window Phone team is only 2 people, how much could they do?

Razdek

Banned
If they managed to get all the features listed in the update then I'd be impressed and would definitely get the next flag phone released. Now let's hope that Nokia is allowed to be autonomous and not get sucked up into the MS sink hole like other companies that were acquired and they allow them to keep doing what they're doing.

Looking at all these leaked features, I have one question. What happened to actionable notifications? Wasn't that something that was rumored? Y'know, like being able to respond to texts by having the notification pane extend down so you're not taken out of your current app?

Lucius86

Banned
I'm worried the phone's responsiveness will be slowed down with all these updates.

Otherwise using my 920 will be like playing with a new phone all over again.

kurbaan

Banned
I'm worried the phone's responsiveness will be slowed down with all these updates.

Otherwise using my 920 will be like playing with a new phone all over again.

Unlike apple, MS doesn't cripple its phones with newer updates. And considering that they have been focusing with all recent updates to make WP run with even lower power hardware I wouldn't be worried.

hadareud

The Translator
Looking at all these leaked features, I have one question. What happened to actionable notifications? Wasn't that something that was rumored? Y'know, like being able to respond to texts by having the notification pane extend down so you're not taken out of your current app?

Pretty sure that will be there.

I just want my phone to last a day with regular usage. Sometimes I have to enable the battery saver halfway through the day, because I played a game on my break.

hadareud

The Translator
I just want my phone to last a day with regular usage. Sometimes I have to enable the battery saver halfway through the day, because I played a game on my break.

Yeah, the 920 is really struggling with games.

Strangely enough, the 1020 fares a lot better despite having the same chipset and the same battery, I've no idea how and why, but it also doesn't get anywhere near as hot as the 920, it's very strange.

In general battery life is about the same, slightly better on the 1020 (maybe an extra hour or two), but with games the difference is massive.

At least there aren't any good or addicting F2P games like Clash of Clans or Dungeon Keeper on Windows Phone. Otherwise my battery would be dead by noon.

Yeah, the 920 is really struggling with games.

Strangely enough, the 1020 fares a lot better despite having the same chipset and the same battery, I've no idea how and why, but it also doesn't get anywhere near as hot as the 920, it's very strange.

In general battery life is about the same, slightly better on the 1020 (maybe an extra hour or two), but with games the difference is massive.
1020 has double the ram which helps gaming out considerably.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
All this whining about battery life, and yet I get crap anytime I say I want to buy the 1520. My phone woke up on critical this morning. I feel like I have to have the phone constantly plugged in. I'd love to wait for mwc, but even if Nokia announces a phone there, its not like we'll get it anytime soon.

hankster

All this whining about battery life, and yet I get crap anytime I say I want to buy the 1520. My phone woke up on critical this morning. I feel like I have to have the phone constantly plugged in. I'd love to wait for mwc, but even if Nokia announces a phone there, its not like we'll get it anytime soon.
Follow your bliss VanDude. Don't let the magpies here harsh your buzz. 1520 + 4.1 is gonna rock IMO. Ride the wave.

Only because I love you Van, I don't want you to regret your choice in a month. But seriously if you really want 1520, by all mean you should get it. Again, I just don't see it as an upgrade unless you want to replace all your other devices. For me camera on my phone trump everything else.

Battery on my 1020 has been pretty good until the last few weeks. It still last me the entire 12 hours day usually I have about 30% or so left. I don't play games on this thing though so may be that's why. I have been using Facebook app a lot more lately and getting a lot of notification so that could be why.

Milchjon

http://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&persist_app=1&v=ktRsl2hAPhY

Edit: I wish there were still power ballads like that. I wish there were still guitar solos instead of phoned in rap verses. I wish there still was un-ironic bombast in music...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom