• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3 Update 3| Please be excited

Status
Not open for further replies.

maeh2k

but what's awesome about Google Android? Google Search provided by Google? Google Location Services API using data provided by Google? YouTube provided by Google? Google Play Store and its associated APIs provided by Google?

the main services talked about as being 'missing' from AOSP all seem to rely on Google in the backend. they open sourced the Android OS, not Google, inc.

Maybe 'awesome' was a bit too much. Let me be clear: I find absolutely nothing awesome about Android ^^
Just today I got to set up my sister's boyfriend's new Xperia Z1. The hardware seemed nice, everything else seemed absolutely horrible. All the shitty and redundant apps you can't even uninstall. Everywhere I looked there were some shitty options and other hidden complexities. They even had some Kaspersky security software installed -- truly the Windows of mobile.
I may often have a negative outlook on the future of Windows Phone, but you can take it out of my cold, dead hands.

As for AOSP, I remembered this article from Arstechnica: http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2013/10/googles-iron-grip-on-android-controlling-open-source-by-any-means-necessary/
It mentions things like AOSP Search, which looks terrible, AOSP Music, Calendar, Keyboard and the AOSP seem significantly worse. E.g.: "As you can see, AOSP Search is still stuck in the days of Froyo (Android 2.2). Once Google had its closed source app up and running, it immediately abandoned the open source version."

f0lken

I am a bit confused by this. I joined that developer program so why am I waiting for Rogers to release the update?

The Developer program is to download early the updates from MS (I.E. GDR2, GDR3, 8.1) but any other functionality that comes from the OEMs (I.E. Amber update or Black from Nokia) needs to be first aproved by the carriers

Finally submitted lifelogger.

Next app will be much easier to make, praise the lawd.
Though, I'll also be starting on a Unity game soon. It's going to suck, for sure.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
With black, is there a way to have different notification sounds for different email accounts? If not (and I can't find it in settings), that is my number one request for a future update - having work and home email on the same phone makes it critical for me.

derFeef

With black, is there a way to have different notification sounds for different email accounts? If not (and I can't find it in settings), that is my number one request for a future update - having work and home email on the same phone makes it critical for me.

Or generally different notification sounds for different things. Was it twitter, facebook, whatsapp? Would be nice.

Firehead

Loving my windows phone, but man do the packaged headphones suck (the ones that come with the 520) - are these nokia ones any good in terms of sound quality? (I want them to match the phone colour).

http://www.nokia.com/gb-en/accessories/accessory/wh-510/

Not really nokia -- they're coloud. Bought a pair last year. Had decent sound and bass, I though. And I'm sure you can find 'em cheaper than that.

Edit:

Picked up a Lumia 520 the other day for $50. Any games or apps that I should grab? Was looking for a game that's similar to FTL, but can't seem to find any. Did find something similar to nethack though.

Cimeas

Banned
So, apparently WP has surpassed ios in Brazil.

http://olhardigital.uol.com.br/pro/noticia/40338/40338

Sounds completely unrealistic to me, though, and definitely does not reflect what I usually see...

I know, I keep hearing about all these people who have Windows Phones (I'm in the UK) and yet I've met maybe a couple people ever who have them. I got genuinely excited when I saw the chap next to me using one on the tube, and struck up quite the amicable conversation about what he thought (all positive of course).

I haven't seen any Windows Phones in the wild for a long, long time. Two years ago I saw a client with an HD7 and someone with a black Lumia 800 but that's it.

hadareud

The Translator
I see them sometimes.

When I went to see Steve Merchant live the five or six people around me all had Lumia 800's.

I didn't have a WP yet and felt inferior with my Desire HD. Which I was.

Guess I must have been sat with Nokia employees.

edit: I do see people with 520's regularly on the tube.

KageMaru

Even though I just upgraded last September, it looks like I'll be able to upgrade again if I switch to the edge plan on Verizon. Just in time for the Icon launch, hell yeah.

Finally submitted lifelogger.

Next app will be much easier to make, praise the lawd.
Though, I'll also be starting on a Unity game soon. It's going to suck, for sure.

Congrats!

I haven't seen any Windows Phones in the wild for a long, long time. Two years ago I saw a client with an HD7 and someone with a black Lumia 800 but that's it.

I saw someone with a Nokia last night. He was some douche nerd who kept talking about how interesting he was.

I kept my 925 in my pocket.

maeh2k

I think I'm ready for the Windows Phone start screen to get backgrounds. I think it's great on Windows 8. However, it won't work as well on the phone. It'll be great for solid colors, but the tiles just don't leave much room for patterns and other graphics.
And much like with Windows 8 people will be able to just set some random photo as background and ruin the look of the start screen.

MCD

More freedom: in WP 8.1 MP3 files will now download directly to your Music folder

Windows Phone 8.1 includes Start Screen backgrounds and browser sync features

jCwbVoX.jpg

JESUS CHRIST THIS UPDATE

jVV5s8q.png

I'm still not impressed by the next Windows Phone version. It's catch-up features and refinements of existing things out there. It's cool that the platform is getting those things, but it's only exciting, because we didn't get anything substantial for 18 months.

I'm still not impressed by the next Windows Phone version. It's catch-up features and refinements of existing things out there. It's cool that the platform is getting those things, but it's only exciting, because we didn't get anything substantial for 18 months.

You are such a downer, brot. Not that I disagree with you. I am hoping leak stuff is just what in the SDK and we will get new UX stuffs later. One can dream.

I convinced a friend to buy a Lumia 521 on MetroPCS yesterday. I felt like such a salesman, but it really is a solid phone for essentially the $29.99 advertised price. Of course, this was an upgrade to him from a feature phone that lost internet and actually showed him ads lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom