• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3 Update 3| Please be excited

Status
Not open for further replies.

Totakeke

So in the end there wasn't anything much about 8.1? When's the next event that we would see all the new stuff being showcased? I want to see Cortana in action.

Doffen

It'll all be at BUILD.

t1396458000z4.png

I'm a sad panda now...

hadareud

The Translator
Having thought through the X stuff for a while now, I still haven't found an angle where it makes sense. Not talking about Microsoft, talking about Nokia.

Low-cost "Android" handsets without the advantages of the ecosystem but with all the disadvantages of an old build that runs like poo on low cost hardware.

Surely it's not going to sell well.

Doffen

Having thought through the X stuff for a while now, I still haven't found an angle where it makes sense. Not talking about Microsoft, talking about Nokia.

Low-cost "Android" handsets without the advantages of the ecosystem but with all the disadvantages of an old build that runs like poo on low cost hardware.

It's cheap and people love cheap stuff. I've seen people go crazy over tablet like this: http://www.pointofview-online.com/showroom.php?shop_mode=product_detail&product_id=375

hadareud

The Translator
Yeah it's cheap, but surely they could achieve the same price on WP.

It's the same phone as the 520 basically. Obviously there's no licensing fee with Android, but then they must have invested a considerable amount of research and development hours into Android which unless they sell a large number of the things won't be cheaper than WP.

hadareud

The Translator
Facebook messenger, BBM, proper Spotify app ... is there anything still missing when it comes to the big global apps?

Now it's time for the smaller and local apps (banks, local streaming stuff etc.) and gaming. At the end of the day it's down to market and mind share to get those, you'd think.

I hope 8.1 will include a massive marketing drive.

edit: and while I typed that there was an update to Webex that now actually makes it usable (corporate sign-ins are now enabled).

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.

KageMaru

Apparently it's a move by Nokia to lead people from Android to WP. The X has no Google services, instead it had Nokia and MS services.

By wooing customers with low-cost Android devices to the Lumia X, Nokia hopes that the phone will serve as a gateway to the Lumia line of Windows Phones. That’s their exact intent. You start off with a good Nokia X experience, you finish up with a Lumia one. There’s a specific reason why Nokia made the X look like Lumia, even down to the Tiles that can change sizes and be moved around.

http://m.wpcentral.com/nokia-x-undermines-google-bolsters-microsoft

Facebook messenger, BBM, proper Spotify app ... is there anything still missing when it comes to the big global apps?

Still missing support from King (Candy Crush).

hadareud

The Translator
Still missing support from King (Candy Crush).

Yeah, games are missing left right and centre. Especially the faddy big games.

Having had a look through the 15 most downloaded iOS apps from 2013, the things that are missing are:

4 pics 1 word (only clones)
Despicable Me: Minion Rush
Snapchat (only clones)
Youtube (fucking hell)
Candy Crush Saga

Chorazin

Going throught the app store reminds me of the first year of iOS. Tons of crazy different apps for necessary services all trying new things and going boldly in their own directions, along with meager, bare-bone "official" versions. Apps like Mehdoh remind me of Tweetie so much it's hitting a nostalgia itch in a weird way.

Are we doing "stuff we miss" lists again :p

- my bank (BNP Paribas Belgium) doesn't have a decent app
- where the hell is the official Sonos app, both for RT and WP!!??
- apps I don't want but people interesting in WP ask me about: Tinder, Pinterest, Snapchat (official versions)
- RDP app to take over my Windows PC... I had this in WM5!
- I wish Flickr was integrated in the Photo hub again (I miss this in W8 too)...

I don't get why they are moving away from app integration. FB chat? Seperate Skype? Separate FB contact list? This is moving it in the wrong direction for me...

MCD

@Van

I played with 1520 recently and noticed the animations slower than my 1020. Would love to hear your thoughts.

- apps I don't want but people interesting in WP ask me about: Tinder, Pinterest, Snapchat (official versions)
- I wish Flickr was integrated in the Photo hub again (I miss this in W8 too)...

I don't get why they are moving away from app integration. FB chat? Seperate Skype? Separate FB contact list? This is moving it in the wrong direction for me...

Tinder is in the works and they're moving away from the integration, because it's easier to integrate new features that are platform independent. Facebook Chat on Windows Phone, for example, never had the popular stickers, despite being part of the OS for years.

Chorazin

I would also jumped ship if it wasn't for the library.

Just jump from Spotify to Xbox music as I haven't noticed a single difference in the libraries between the two, for the type of music I listen to.

Hell, one album I wanted to listen to had the same three songs withheld as "album only" on both services.

Razdek

Banned

It doesn't make sense and the price isn't even that much of a difference compared to the Lumia 5xx line. What a waste of time, money and resources by Nokia and no wonder they were looking to sell.

Doffen

Just jump from Spotify to Xbox music as I haven't noticed a single difference in the libraries between the two, for the type of music I listen to.

Hell, one album I wanted to listen to had the same three songs withheld as "album only" on both services.

I've had Xbox Music myself, lot's of tracks do not allow offline play in my region. And some are Buy-only.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
@Van

I played with 1520 recently and noticed the animations slower than my 1020. Would love to hear your thoughts.

I'm using the two side by side and its either a draw or the 1520 wins out every time. Its a real credit to the platform that the 1020 is able to match it when opening certain built in apps.

Magni

Buying my mom a Nexus 7 just for this basically. Personally I miss airlines and my French bank, LCL. At least my American bank Chase has a pretty good app. I wish I had Snapchat but 6snap will do for now, thank you based Rudy.

I also just accepted a job for a company that only has an iOS/Android version of their app (and also mobile web thankfully). I won't be working on a WP client officially (that's not what they hired me for), but I'll see what I can do in my free time :D It's gotten pretty big in the US, don't want to spill the beans until I have something to actually share though.

Zeknurn

Has there been any news about Telegram for WP? Back in November their twitter account said that it would be out in January but I can't find anything about it since.

Yeah it's cheap, but surely they could achieve the same price on WP.

It's the same phone as the 520 basically. Obviously there's no licensing fee with Android, but then they must have invested a considerable amount of research and development hours into Android which unless they sell a large number of the things won't be cheaper than WP.

They could but there would be no "app" that people want on it. Fork Androids are quite popular in developing country and they could use Android apps.

MCD

I'm using the two side by side and its either a draw or the 1520 wins out every time. Its a real credit to the platform that the 1020 is able to match it when opening certain built in apps.

Strange. I swear the back/home animations were slower for me.

hadareud

The Translator
Looks big.

But then I just compared it to the size of my car key and it's about half the size, so it's not that big at all actually.

I pulled the trigger on a used but excellent condition Lumia 1020 from eBay for $355 shipped. So I'll be joining the 41mp club shortly.

1020 owners help me out. Thoughts on the camera grip? Qi wireless cover? 3rd party covers? Anything else?

Chorazin

I pulled the trigger on a used but excellent condition Lumia 1020 from eBay for $355 shipped. So I'll be joining the 41mp club shortly.

1020 owners help me out. Thoughts on the camera grip? Qi wireless cover? 3rd party covers? Anything else?

If you're gonna take a lot of pics, the camera grip is a no brainer, it feels awesome in hand. Gonna use mine seriously for the first time at a concert on Thursday. :-D

I have the Poetic Atmosphere case and it's really nice and dirt freaking cheap on Amazon.

If you're gonna take a lot of pics, the camera grip is a no brainer, it feels awesome in hand. Gonna use mine seriously for the first time at a concert on Thursday. :-D

I have the Poetic Atmosphere case and it's really nice and dirt freaking cheap on Amazon.
thanks, wasn't there early reports of the case scratching or marking up the corners of the phone or was I mistaken? Also, the phone I bought already has a full body armor installed, do you think the camera grip would have issues with it?

Chorazin

thanks, wasn't there early reports of the case scratching or marking up the corners of the phone or was I mistaken? Also, the phone I bought already has a full body armor installed, do you think the camera grip would have issues with it?

I dunno, I just got mine recently as well, but I don't see how it would scratch it up, the plastic on the case is a lot softer than the materal used to make the phone's casing.

Hmm...it is pretty tight on the corners and there is really zero tolerance for space. It might mess up the corners of the full body armor.

I dunno, I just got mine recently as well, but I don't see how it would scratch it up, the plastic on the case is a lot softer than the materal used to make the phone's casing.

Hmm...it is pretty tight on the corners and there is really zero tolerance for space. It might mess up the corners of the full body armor.

thanks, any other 1020 owners wanna chime in on 3rd part cases?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom