• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3 Update 3| Please be excited

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElNino

thanks, any other 1020 owners wanna chime in on 3rd part cases?
I also have the Poetic Atmosphere for my 1020 and it is a good case for daily usage. Protection is good and it makes it much easier to hold the phone as it has a better grip to it than the naked matte finish... even though I love the phone without a case, it's just too easy to slip out of my hand if I'm not careful. It also covers the buttons so they are more difficult to press, but I don't have any issues with that.

For the wireless charging plate, I have mixed feelings about it. If you really want wireless charging (which I did) then you obviously have no choice but to use it, but it is easy to snap on and off. The ergonomics of holding the phone with it on though are not as good, as it has a similar matte finish to the phone but it flattens out the camera hump and makes it more difficult to use with one hand. As much as I liked the Qi charging, I've gone to the Poetic for daily usage as it is just much easier to use.

The camera grip however, is a great option. I don't use it very often, but it makes the phone very easy to hold and it makes it much easier to steady the phone when taking pictures. It also has the additional battery so that will help, but I've never had a need to use the grip to get through a day battery wise. However, you said that your 1020 has a full body skin on it... and I can say with 99.9% certainty that it will cause issues with the camera grip. I had a skin on the back of my 1020 that I took off for that very reason as the way the phone slides into the grip makes it a very tight fit and the skin will very likely be peeled off in the process.

Suerte

thanks, any other 1020 owners wanna chime in on 3rd part cases?

I've had the Nillkin Matte Textured Super Shield Hard Shell Case Cover since I got my 1020 last September, feels great and makes the phone a little more grippy.

$T2eC16JHJHUFFfj0nceYBSPGLnkYkw~~60_12.JPG

$T2eC16Z,!y!FIc6ee7JKBSPGMBIIQ!~~60_12.JPG

Zeknurn

Considering how easy Microsoft is making it to slap WP on Android hardware, I don't see why Sony wouldn't do it with the z2. It's not like they're doing well with Android anyway.

There was a rumor of the Icon going global in the spring/summer, but WPCentral didn't put much stock in it.
I hope that means other US versions (AT&T plz).

Um, the icon specs pretty much match the S5 specs though, I thought we were supposed to be shitty phones only!

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
The reviews are all true. The phone has the most gorgeous screen I've ever seen, the second best camera I've ever used, and battery life so far is great. The OS is quicker, but its difficult to perceive, unless you have a phone next to it for comparison.

The phone is massive though. Maybe too big for me, honestly. The complaint about empty space and optimization is mostly overblown. Only a few apps look weird at this size, the vast majority scale gracefully. The home screen is the best part, so much can be fit that I barely have to scroll and my most used apps are all accessible as soon as I unlock. I was surprised that my wife and female co worker liked it more than I did given the size. If I'm not completely in love with it by tomorrow I'll let my wife keep it. It probably should've been obvious that the size would be the biggest problem, but its hard to get a feel for just how inconvenient the size can be when you're just playing with it at the store.

Nice. I should be getting my 1520 next week.

Before I get my 1520, I REALLY want to fix my 1020's cracked screen. Hmm... how much does Nokia charge to repair phones? Or am I best just paying the $200 to get AT&T to give me a new 1020?
yeah, the way screens are bonded to the glass, it isn't easy anymore. lcd and glass run between $150-250 so yeah, it's probably best to pay $200 for a new one.

Kimosabae

Banned
Hey all,

The Nokia Lumia 520 is a great phone for cheap - when it's not killing its battery. Like a lot of people, I purchased this phone over the holidays due to its great price. In this case, my mother. It's been fine until about two weeks ago, the stock battery died on her. She barely used it (from what I understand. I believe her since she's still learning how to use it). After doing some research I found that it's a common problem regarding the phone and I've yet to come across any definitive fix for it. I just bought her another battery from Amazon and it drained that battery within a day.

I'm consulting GAF because I got the idea to grab this phone from here and I know a lot of others here bought the phone. Have any of you had this problem or managed to have this problem and fix it?

Most Smartphone batteries discharge within 24 hours, so it should have to charge each day. I'm not sure if you're referring to a discharged battery, or a battery that lasts a couple of hours before dying again.

Also, I remember (but know nothing of the validity of the procedure) hearing some talk about completely discharging a phone, then trying to turn it back on and letting the phone die each time. This can help recalibrate a battery sensor.

If she doesn't need it to check email all the time, she can turn on Battery Saver mode, which should prolong the battery life...but reduce battery intensive internet queries.

Any ideas on any apps that could be draining the battery?

You could check the background tasks to see if there is a number of apps accessing that which she doesn't use.
Settings>>Swipe Left>>Background Tasks.
Just tap the things which are set to enabled and if she doesn't use that app regularly, click disable.

But Background Tasks are only of the only few ways that Apps are able to run in the background. They run every 30ish minutes for a maximum of 15-30 seconds each. The other ways being if an app is using the GPS or taking control of the media controls and playing music through the OS. Both which should be easy to check by pulling down the system tray from the home screen and checking to see if the GPS icon is there or tapping the volume button to see if anything is in there.

You could also go into settings and making some minor changes to improve battery life, From Settings:
Lockscreen >> Screen times out after >> 30 seconds
WiFi >> Advanced >> Check Keep WiFi on when screen times out (if its unchecked it can kill battery by constantly having to re-search and joining the WiFi whenever the screen turns off. Known to kill battery)
Bluetooth >> Off unless you need it (you can get an app to pin the bluetooth setting to the startscreen for a quick toggle, or wait or Windows 8.1 for and OS build quick toggle)
Battery Saver >> On (Advanced >> When Battery is Low)
Brightness >> On

Some other things to try include:
Draining the battery, trying to turn it on a couple times then charging it back up to full
Doing a soft reset (hold Lock button and Volume Down for 5-10 seconds)

Zeknurn

I feel physically ill from reading the Elop Xbox thread on gaming side. There's no valuable discussion to be had when it's all fanatics not willing to even acknowledge the existence of facts.

I feel physically ill from reading the Elop Xbox thread on gaming side. There's no valuable discussion to be had when it's all fanatics not willing to even acknowledge the existence of facts.

Well... I could go in there and continue my trend of killing Elop threads (which ironically always ends up happening after I start posting links to news from reputable sources).

Sadly though, I don't feel like fighting with people now. Most of that thread is operating off of hyperbole and false info. We knew from day 1 that Elop was taking over the Hardware Division once the Nokia deal was closed. We know that Bloomberg was pulling stuff out of its ass, though everyone ignores that and continues to quote as its truth, and when people bring up that Nokia failed because of Elop, we can pull up that his contract paid him to fail.

Its really just grasping at straws to fuel an Anti-Microsoft Narrative.

derFeef

It's rather mindblowing I have to say, the stuff that flies is worrisome.

Ape

Banned
I try to be sarcastic in that thread and it doesn't work. But apparently Elop is partly responsible for Office 2010 so I love him now. I don't even care.

Nero3000

Is it as stupid as the "Microsoft Repackaging Mobile Websites as "Apps" sans Permission - Read the fine print" topic in OT? Despite that news being months old.

kharma45

It's sad that the Gaming side now has almost no amount of rational discussion now. There is so much low quality drivel posted it makes me steer well clear of it bar the I Need A New PC thread.

The mods need to sort it out as it's pretty embarrassing.

venne

Check if one of the accounts is continuously syncing under settings > email + accounts.

Happened to my wife's 1020 with a Gmail account just a week or so ago. It would die in a couple hours and ran really hot.

Had to switch it to airplane mode, restart the phone, and delete the account.

frontieruk

It's sad that the Gaming side now has almost no amount of rational discussion now. There is so much low quality drivel posted it makes me steer well clear of it bar the I Need A New PC thread.

thing is the mods seem to be banning most of the rational posters, gaf has gone to hell and I don't spend as much time browsing as I used too :(

Nero3000

So, which of the android phones announced would you want running WP8.1?

Z2 for me. Waterproof, nice design, great camera, dedicated camera button.

Well... I could go in there and continue my trend of killing Elop threads (which ironically always ends up happening after I start posting links to news from reputable sources).

Sadly though, I don't feel like fighting with people now. Most of that thread is operating off of hyperbole and false info. We knew from day 1 that Elop was taking over the Hardware Division once the Nokia deal was closed. We know that Bloomberg was pulling stuff out of its ass, though everyone ignores that and continues to quote as its truth, and when people bring up that Nokia failed because of Elop, we can pull up that his contract paid him to fail.

Its really just grasping at straws to fuel an Anti-Microsoft Narrative.

It's rather mindblowing I have to say, the stuff that flies is worrisome.

Is it as stupid as the "Microsoft Repackaging Mobile Websites as "Apps" sans Permission - Read the fine print" topic in OT? Despite that news being months old.

thing is the mods seem to be banning most of the rational posters, gaf has gone to hell and I don't spend as much time browsing as I used too :(
Eh, I think you'll find... "NeoGAF is a nexus of hardcore gamers, enthusiast press, and video game industry developers and publishers. This is a neutral ground where facts and evidence, presented within the confines of civil, inclusive discourse, prevail through careful moderation." It is to laugh.

Anyway, GAF has gotten much bigger recently, correct? The amount of times I now see news outlets quoting GAF as a source, the amount of new users I now see. The place is growing. I think the powers at be like that, they only stand to benefit from it. Seems to me like things have become more lax because a lot of the hyperbole and nonsense gets clicks. Just so happens to be that Microsoft bashing is the flavour of the month. Which, given that the company is currently evolving somewhat, it makes sense that there's lots of news coming out that nobody has the first clue about. And since not having a clue about something never stopped 90% of people talking about it, well...

Nero3000

José Mourinho;102207296 said:
Eh, I think you'll find... "NeoGAF is a nexus of hardcore gamers, enthusiast press, and video game industry developers and publishers. This is a neutral ground where facts and evidence, presented within the confines of civil, inclusive discourse, prevail through careful moderation." It is to laugh.

Anyway, GAF has gotten much bigger recently, correct? The amount of times I now see news outlets quoting GAF as a source, the amount of new users I now see. The place is growing. I think the powers at be like that, they only stand to benefit from it. Seems to me like things have become more lax because a lot of the hyperbole and nonsense gets clicks. Just so happens to be that Microsoft bashing is the flavour of the month. Which, given that the company is currently evolving somewhat, it makes sense that there's lots of news coming out that nobody has the first clue about. And since not having a clue about something never stopped 90% of people talking about it, well...

Month? Try decade.

NeOak

The Bloomberg article thing is BS. But the "Elop Effect" is not.

Mario007

How to you watch videos on the Lumia? I've copied an mp4 file to the Videos folder on my Lumia but the photos app can't seem to see it and I can't think of any other app to use/

What's the Elop effect?

NeOak is still mad about Elop killing Meego and Symbian. They were doing oh so well, before they switched to Windows Phone, despite burning through their 3.9 billion dollar/year R&D budget (almost 4 times as much as Apple) and positioning shit phones like the N8 against the fricking iPhone 4.

AfAc1j9.jpg

Lets not mention the amount of people they had working on both systems, only to waste all their effort with slow-spec phones.

n5NoFOj.jpg

5,000 people working on the Symbian UX! 5,000! + And 1,800 people on MeeGo and Qt, which was supposed to be Symbian's successor.

"Symbian-related research costs for Nokia reached about $1.4 billion last year, with more than a third of its 17,200 R&D workforce assigned to the operating system, according to Sanford C. Bernstein & Co. Apple spent $772 million on the iPhone in 2010, when it introduced the iPhone 4, according to the broker. Apple's R&D was 2.7 percent of sales for the year ended September, while Nokia's 2010 devices R&D was 10 percent of the division's sales."

As much as I like my Lumia, Nokia might as well have died, if they had continued with with their operating systems.

My parents have managed to open here maps in their pocket on occasion, and this tends to drain the battery quick.

By the way, your issue wouldn't happen to be the phone turning off and not powering back on, right? Some people have issues with there being too much clearance with the battery door, and the battery becomes unseated and shuts off. If you have that issue, add a small square or two of paper on top of the battery.

NeOak is still mad about Elop killing Meego and Symbian. They were doing oh so well, before they switched to Windows Phone, despite burning through their 3.9 billion dollar/year R&D budget (almost 4 times as much as Apple) and positioning shit phones like the N8 against the fricking iPhone 4.

AfAc1j9.jpg

Lets not mention the amount of people they had working on both systems, only to waste all their effort with slow-spec phones.

n5NoFOj.jpg

5,000 people working on the Symbian UX! 5,000! + And 1,800 people on MeeGo and Qt, which was supposed to be Symbian's successor.

"Symbian-related research costs for Nokia reached about $1.4 billion last year, with more than a third of its 17,200 R&D workforce assigned to the operating system, according to Sanford C. Bernstein & Co. Apple spent $772 million on the iPhone in 2010, when it introduced the iPhone 4, according to the broker. Apple's R&D was 2.7 percent of sales for the year ended September, while Nokia's 2010 devices R&D was 10 percent of the division's sales."

As much as I like my Lumia, Nokia might as well have died, if they had continued with with their operating systems.
The N8 was a good phone back then, or maybe I just look at it that way because nothing could be worse than the N97.

hadareud

The Translator

There's no shadow of a doubt in my mind that they'd have gone the way of Blackberry if they'd have continued with their own OS. Only a year or two before Blackberry. Would have made them a good bit cheaper to snatch up though for MS or Google.

The only reasonable argument that can be had is whether they'd have done better with going Android or a mix of Android and Windows Phone. We'll never know, but looking at the HTC's of this world I have my doubts that they would have. Particularly since there would have been no significant financial backing to smooth the transition as opposed to the deal they got with Microsoft back in 2011.

At the end of the day, for all the difficulties and bad financial results that Nokia have endured over the last few years, they have turned around their smartphone business at least to some extent and even if you don't agree with that the most important and positive thing is that the vast majority of Nokia employees are still in a job and will continue to be in a job for the foreseeable future.

NeOak

What's the Elop effect?

"During the 3 years Elop was Nokia CEO, Nokia revenues fell 40%, Nokia profits fell 95%, Nokia market share collapsed in smartphones from 34% to 3.4%, Nokia's credit rating went from A to junk, Nokia's share price dropped 60% in value and Nokia's market capitalization lost 13 Billion dollars in value. The Financial Times calculated that Nokia shareholders ended up paying Elop a bonus of 1 million Euros for every 1.5 billion in market capital that Elop was able to destroy while Nokia CEO."

Its more due to the "Burning Platforms" memo. He burned Symbian and Meego without another alternative. Carriers fled and the upgrade path from Symbian to Meego was blown to hell. You could make an app that ran in Symbian^3 and Meego using Qt.

Despite what brot says, he forgets that the N9 was lauded by the iPhone loving press as the iPhone killer. And Nokia was bigger than Apple and Samsung combined. And to this day Symbian^3 has stuff that even Android only recently introduced.

Elop's treason was openly condemning the company's own products, to which he later admitted was a mistake... But some call it a very clever move. After all, Nokia went from 1st to shit in a year thanks to him.

Tomcat

yeah n8 was a great phone. But me and I believe many others overlooked some problems in the software department because of the awesome camera and the great build quality it had.

n9 as an iPhone killer???????? please stop joking

NeOak

yeah n8 was a great phone. But me and I believe many others overlooked some problems in the software department because of the awesome camera and the great build quality it had.

n9 as an iPhone killer???????? please stop joking

I didn't believe it myself when I read the reviews from the US press.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom