• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3 Update 3| Please be excited

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dazzla

I'm sorely tempted by the 1520. Unwanted upgrades available on ebay for around £330. I'm going to have a loaner 920 to try and tide me over until April, hopefully we get a 1020 successor at build. Or an international 5" flagship.

GDGT_WP-1.jpg

ughhh this just looks tacky. Do not want.

hadareud

The Translator
As a follow up on the "number 2 spot" thing this morning.

I think their internal goal has to be:

- double the sales of WP devices in both 2014 & 2015 (so something like 60 to 70 million phones this year and 140 million next year)
- overtake iPhone in several big European markets in shipments by the end of 2014 (places like Germany, France, Spain) or at least be on equal footing, shipment wise.

Sounds ambitious, but when you consider that they are competing against 2 high end devices with an armada of cheap phones, they need to get there and get there quickly so they can also start competing at the high end of the market.

There will be more manufacturers this year, a major OS upgrade, new (true) flagship devices, the vast majority of major apps are now on the platform - none of which was the case in 2013.

If they can't make a serious dent in the market now, it will never happen.

edit: I should add that overtaking iPhone worldwide won't happen within 2 or even 3 years because of how strong they are in the US. They outsold WP 4.5:1 worldwide in 2013.

frontieruk

So you think that the picture gets stretched out? I wouldn't like that.

No as in the tiles are Windows to the image in the background. So the image is always static, but the tiles differ so how it's mosaic'd together changes as you scroll the tiles.

"Removing the gutter looks horrible"
"Small tiles look horrible"
"Three columns look horrible"
"Setting your Start menu background in Win 8.1 looks horrible"

This, too, shall pass.

I foresee a lot of "you know, I actually like it" once you're all able to us your favorite artsy game/movie/tv show/nerd shit as a background.

Removing the gutter wasn't great, the columns still look like shit and so will this. I hope you don't have any games pinned on your start screen!

hadareud

The Translator
Well it's optional.

I'm not going to use it, but I can imagine that it would actually look quite nice with the right picture.

Removing the gutter was essential.

derFeef

The tile clipping into the clock, uugggh.
Some images will cause bad things, for the tile icons too. Ah well not going to use it anyway.

PG2G

Anyone have any recommendations for a good car charger? It seems like mine chargers slower than Waze uses battery, lol.
Maybe I need to find an official Nokia one somewher

Dear lord, people resurrected that Elop thread on gaming side. How can people be so uninformed. *shudder*

In other news, one of the females in my class said she's going to get the Lumia 1020 because of the camera. That will make 6 people with Windows Phones in our computer science class. The next step is somehow getting them to start toying with apps. >:D

Dear lord, people resurrected that Elop thread on gaming side. How can people be so uninformed. *shudder*

In other news, one of the females in my class said she's going to get the Lumia 1020 because of the camera. That will make 6 people with Windows Phones in our computer science class. The next step is somehow getting them to start toying with apps. >:D

There are so many solid sample apps out there, and c# is so easy. Developing a simple app is incredibly easy, especially if you've done other Android development. My main problem with lifeLogger was change in scope every two months, taking long three month breaks between sprints, and learning Xaml & controls.

There are so many solid sample apps out there, and c# is so easy. Developing a simple app is incredibly easy, especially if you've done other Android development. My main problem with lifeLogger was change in scope every two months, taking long three month breaks between sprints, and learning Xaml & controls.

Thankfully everyones favourite language to work in is C#, so that angle is always easy to go at. I personally found the hardest part of working on some of my apps was just learning XAML and the SDK.. that and trying to take a design focus for once. But once you get those down, its pretty straightforward and surprisingly fun to work with.

Shouldn't be too hard to get them to try it out considering most of them probably already installed the SDK when they were installing VS2012 last year and VS2013 this year.

XAML data binding and templating is obtuse as heck to me. Especially when things don't work as expected.

It's certainly really rough at first. Wrapping your head around when to bind data in xaml, or when to assign data sources in code-behind is a difficult problem at first.

Thankfully everyones favourite language to work in is C#, so that angle is always easy to go at. I personally found the hardest part of working on some of my apps was just learning XAML and the SDK.. that and trying to take a design focus for once. But once you get those down, its pretty straightforward and surprisingly fun to work with.

Shouldn't be too hard to get them to try it out considering most of them probably already installed the SDK when they were installing VS2012 last year and VS2013 this year.

Linq is such an awesome tool for developing. It creates easy, maintainable, visually concise code that is very powerful. VS2013 with TFS source control is a lifesaver. I can reimage my PCs/laptops whatever, or simply rent out a Virtual Server from Azure and work on my project from my Surface RT.

Maybe one day I'll start my podcast app project. I mean, there has to be a way to design a good looking and yet functional podcast app.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
It looks horrible like that, but with the right picture I'm sure it can look quite nice.

You could do some great stuff with a custom image that is designed to customize each tile. It has a lot of potential. This is assuming the image moves with the tiles, having the tiles move over a static image would look bad.

XAML data binding and templating is obtuse as heck to me. Especially when things don't work as expected.
I think I sort of understand it. Enough to use it with a Listview and ObservableCollection, nowhere near total understanding though. My main confusion is just that Model View ViewModel I keep on hearing so much about. I dont even know where to start with that.

Linq is such an awesome tool for developing. It creates easy, maintainable, visually concise code that is very powerful. VS2013 with TFS source control is a lifesaver. I can reimage my PCs/laptops whatever, or simply rent out a Virtual Server from Azure and work on my project from my Surface RT.
I dont think I have look at using Linq before. I'll have to check that out. But I agree about TFS, I managed to get in to the Visual Studio Online Beta, but only recently started using it with Anitro and its a joy to not have to worry about keeping my code up to date on all my computers. I don't think I can go back to the old way of keeping my projects offline anymore.

JaggedSac

The documentation seems too shallow to me and I couldn't seem to find anything more in depth. They basically just give you code samples and say place this resource tag here, reference it here, yada yada yada, but what I am looking for is place this resource tag here, what this does behind the scenes is this, now since that is set up, put this here which links to this and this behind the scenes. When you have that sort of understanding, it is easy to troubleshoot. But there were times where I saw it didn't work and was just stumped because I have only the outside understanding of what is really going on. I am coming from the J2EE world so UIs are like some sort of skiddish cat that you have to be extremely careful around or they either fuck you up with devil claws or run away and hide. Plus, I can only make ugly shit, lol.

Maybe one day I'll start my podcast app project. I mean, there has to be a way to design a good looking and yet functional podcast app.

My guess is this will be my next app after a find-my-car app that should be relatively quick to finish.

Also, still need to get through cert with lifelogger. Hit some issues that I wasn't aware of (need to be able to toggle of Location at any time within the app), and some white/black theme stuff.

My guess is this will be my next app after a find-my-car app that should be relatively quick to finish.

Also, still need to get through cert with lifelogger. Hit some issues that I wasn't aware of (need to be able to toggle of Location at any time within the app), and some white/black theme stuff.
I think my next app is going to be a game. Im thinking of a Tower Defence in which you can play against the AI or with another player over bluetooth. Another idea of mine is something along the lines of that Flash Game called "Gods Playing Field" or "Pillage the Village" where you just torture stick figures and destroy their village... with bluetooth support so you can get multiple 'gods' in there.

Something with bluetooth so I can play a game with my younger siblings (both of which have 520s) while we're together.

kharma45

Podcast Lounge has a fairly decent update coming out soon. Looks haven't changed much but there are some nice changes in the beta.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom