• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3 Update 3| Please be excited

Status
Not open for further replies.
yeah n8 was a great phone. But me and I believe many others overlooked some problems in the software department because of the awesome camera and the great build quality it had.

n9 as an iPhone killer???????? please stop joking
I'm typing this post from an N9!

Always has good reactions from people, aside from the fact that it's an orphaned phone. Wish they didn't kill it off immediately, even if the community has kept it alive.

Ape

Banned
I didn't believe it myself when I read the reviews from the US press.

And then you especially didn't believe it after you used the N9, right?

I'm typing this post from an N9!

Always has good reactions from people, aside from the fact that it's an orphaned phone. Wish they didn't kill it off immediately, even if the community has kept it alive.

As an N9 user, you wouldn't honestly say it's an iPhone killer. Would you? I mean they aren't even considered to be in the same class of phone.

Tomcat

I didn't believe it myself when I read the reviews from the US press.

mostly because the phone was dead on arrival. If this was the main OS of NOKIA you would here the same complains they kept saying about WP. No apps, no customization etc.

NOKIA should have axed S^3 and went full throttle with meego. But they didn't because the Sumbian roots in that company were too strong to let Symbian die and take their positions the meego guys.

NeOak

mostly because the phone was dead on arrival. If this was the main OS of NOKIA you would here the same complains they kept saying about WP. No apps, no customization etc.

NOKIA should have axed S^3 and went full throttle with meego. But they didn't because the Sumbian roots in that company were too strong to let Symbian die and take their positions the meego guys.

It was DOA because of the memo. Otherwise it had the upgrade path already in place from S^3 to it.

hadareud

The Translator
The N9/800 was an iPhone killer in looks. But looks alone, unfortunately.

Nokia didn't have a chance to compete on the OS and ecosystem front, just look at the numbers of how much money they'd burned on R&D and how rapidly they were being overtaken by Apple and several Android OEMs at the time. That's where the money was for devs too - the only realistic choice they had was to jump aboard another ecosystem.

And if you think the main blame of the first 12 months results lies with the new CEO (who didn't actually make the decision that you hate so much until half a year into his reign), you're ignoring reality. They were where they were at the end of 2011 thanks to their work in the previous 5 years, not because of what happened in the space of a year.

The platform they'd created really was burning. Only burning quite a bit worse than anyone could have anticipated even in their nightmares.

NeOak

The N9/800 was an iPhone killer in looks. But looks alone, unfortunately.

Nokia didn't have a chance to compete on the OS and ecosystem front, just look at the numbers of how much money they'd burned on R&D and how rapidly they were being overtaken by Apple and several Android OEMs at the time. That's where the money was for devs too - the only realistic choice they had was to jump aboard another ecosystem.

And if you think the main blame of the first 12 months results lies with the new CEO (who didn't actually make the decision that you hate so much until half a year into his reign), you're ignoring reality. They were where they were at the end of 2011 thanks to their work in the previous 5 years, not because of what happened in the space of a year.

The platform they'd created really was burning. Only burning quite a bit worse than anyone could have anticipated even in their nightmares.

His first 2 Quarters were profitable. He got a Nokia that was making a profit, had the most preordered smartphone in their history and February 2011 had to happen.

Everyone gives Elop so much crap for an internal memo

True, but the results of that memo speak for themselves.

hwalker84

Everyone gives Elop so much crap for an internal memo

Part of that memo came from the fact he set his team down and compared features missing on their OS to iOS and Android and asked how long it would be for feature parity and the answer was years.

NeOak

Part of that memo came from the fact he set his team down and compared features missing on their OS to iOS and Android and asked how long it would be for feature parity and the answer was years.

I'm still waiting for parity on my WP8 :(

But idk, N8 had HDMI out, screen mirroring and you could use a Bluetooth keyboard and mouse with it. Plus the USB OTG that took android like 2 years to get?

Multimedia wise it had H264 hardware decoding with MKV support, plus subtitles too. In 2010. By the OS itself.

What it did lack was a smooth and intuitive UI. Holy shit, its clunky.

And then you especially didn't believe it after you used the N9, right?

As an N9 user, you wouldn't honestly say it's an iPhone killer. Would you? I mean they aren't even considered to be in the same class of phone.
It's certainly the closest thing Nokia has ever made to an iPhone, though its unique and (was, at the time) premium enough to differentiate. I switch between this phone, an iPhone 4S (and a lumia 521, which is why i read this thread). No issues switching between the former two, and I wish the team had a little more time to finish their vision.

I guess there's always jolla hahaha

edit: for the record, I 100% agree symbian was going nowhere, but the method of removing it from the company was akin to stabbing someone in other parts of the body before sawing off his arms, rather than just doing the latter at a steady but measured pace. That memo was leaked for a reason and did considerable damage to the company.

hadareud

The Translator
His first 2 Quarters were profitable. He got a Nokia that was making a profit, had the most preordered smartphone in their history and February 2011 had to happen.

That's some revisionist history.

Nokia was in trouble long before Elop took over. Their market-share decreased rapidly starting in 2007 - their share price dropped by nearly 500 % before Elop took over, from nearly 40 dollars 2007 to just over 8 dollars in June 2010. That didn't happen because they did such a good job and because the outlook was positive - the crash in 2011 and 2012 was the result of what happened from 2006 onwards, they were in a precarious situation and their profits were dwindling. Read up on some business articles from 2008, 2009 and 2010 and see what people had to say about the future of Nokia.

As for the N9 being their most pre-ordered smartphone, that means nothing without actual numbers. The WiiU was Nintendo's most pre-ordered console. Actually, according to some reports it was the most pre-ordered console in history at the time iirc.

NeOak

That's some revisionist history.

Nokia was in trouble long before Elop took over. Their market-share decreased rapidly starting in 2007 - their share price dropped by nearly 500 % before Elop took over, from nearly 40 dollars 2007 to just over 8 dollars in June 2010. That didn't happen because they did such a good job and because the outlook was positive - the crash in 2011 and 2012 was the result of what happened from 2006 onwards, they were in a precarious situation and their profits were dwindling. Read up on some business articles from 2008, 2009 and 2010 and see what people had to say about the future of Nokia.

As for the N9 being their most pre-ordered smartphone, that means nothing without actual numbers. The WiiU was Nintendo's most pre-ordered console. Actually, according to some reports it was the most pre-ordered console in history at the time iirc.

Not the N9. The N8. Like Tom said, the N9 was DOA, along with bot selling it in their strongest markets so it wouldn't complete with the Lumia 800.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Xbox Music on Windows 8 has got pretty good. They just added drag and drop for songs and albums when adding to playlists. What I would really like is that if it new what songs were on my phone.

Xbox Music on Windows 8 has got pretty good. They just added drag and drop for songs and albums when adding to playlists. What I would really like is that if it new what songs were on my phone.

I don't understand why I can't play some songs via Xbox Music, when they play from Windows Media Player (and any other media player) just fine.

If I own the music, I should be able to play it, regardless of whether or not you can "match" it.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I don't understand why I can't play some songs via Xbox Music, when they play from Windows Media Player (and any other media player) just fine.

If I own the music, I should be able to play it, regardless of whether or not you can "match" it.

Hmmm. Not sure, that would be frustrating. Pretty much my entire library now is Xbox Music and the odd album I have that isn't matched fine.

jagowar

They really should leverage onedrive for just this purpose. If they can't match it put the song there and have the app know to go to one drive for music not on their streaming service.

Indeed, it's past history.

Yeah, get the Elop stuffs out of this thread there are plenty thread on Gaf you could talk and read about how Elop single handedly destroy not only Nokia but the GDP of Finland.

Let get hype about Windows Phone 8.1. I can't wait for reveal of People Hub and Live Tiles.

frontieruk

Yeah, get the Elop stuffs out of this thread there are plenty thread on Gaf you could talk and read about how Elop single handedly destroy not only Nokia but the GDP of Finland.

Let get hype about Windows Phone 8.1. I can't wait for reveal of People Hub and Live Tiles.

Those features sound awesome, why hasn't there been a leak about them yet?

Razdek

Banned
Is it worth it to pick up an HTC 8X if I already have a 520? It's on sale for $150 and it would be nice to have a higher end phone while waiting for the new ones to come out.

Is it worth it to pick up an HTC 8X if I already have a 520? It's on sale for $150 and it would be nice to have a higher end phone while waiting for the new ones to come out.

It's a really nice device. for 150$, I'd suggest anyone to get the 8X instead of a 80$ 520. Then again, you'd have to have the disposable money for it.

Razdek

Banned
It's a really nice device. for 150$, I'd suggest anyone to get the 8X instead of a 80$ 520. Then again, you'd have to have the disposable money for it.

Yea it's just a temp device while waiting for the new phones and I don't use the 520 as my primary phone anyways. I just really want the higher res screen as I'm sick of the crappy screen on the 520. Thanks for the input.

kharma45

New Kantar figures

kFGpMV4.jpg

PG2G

They really should leverage onedrive for just this purpose. If they can't match it put the song there and have the app know to go to one drive for music not on their streaming service.

This is a good idea... ;)
Well, dont know what the app will do

When does that Skype update to fix notifications go live? Or even some way to disable notifications for it.

It's really annoying chatting with someone on the Pc and having the phone popping at each message specially when you are chatting with multiple people, and disabling notifications isn't a proper solution...

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.

My brother has an 8x and I love it. Feels better in hand than most Nokias and has a good camera to boot. Only thing is it doesn't have the Nokia apps, and that's a big deal for me.

Razdek

Banned
My brother has an 8x and I love it. Feels better in hand than most Nokias and has a good camera to boot. Only thing is it doesn't have the Nokia apps, and that's a big deal for me.

Thanks for the input. I just want a higher spec phone than the 520 to play around with as I'll probably only be using it as a secondary phone anyways. Having no Nokia enhancements and apps is really going to suck but it may be worth it for the faster phone. It's on sale for $129 so it's not a big investment. They better have new phones ready when they announce 8.1.

hwalker84

Its getting so hard to hold out. I have an upgrade sitting there staring me in the face. The damn 32GB 1520 only comes in black and neither has Qi wireless charging. I may not be able to last another month.

NeOak

That's not going to happen since they are backing the other wireless charging consortium... but 32gb and SD card support would be great.

I am just going to hold out for 1020 replacement whenever that is.

They sell one that is 32GB. Online only though. Comes in your favorite color as long as its black.

I'm baffled by att's decision to remove qi charging. I understand they're backing another spec but they don't even have chargers or wireless shells for the other spec.

NeOak

I'm baffled by att's decision to remove qi charging. I understand they're backing another spec but they don't even have chargers or wireless shells for the other spec.
Because they can.

Same deal with Google Wallet. They and Verizon back the POS ISIS system.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Its getting so hard to hold out. I have an upgrade sitting there staring me in the face. The damn 32GB 1520 only comes in black and neither has Qi wireless charging. I may not be able to last another month.

My wife really loved the 1520 and I ended up letting her keep it. Looks even better with the Nokia flip cover. Besides the physical size, 16gb was just too small, I got the "running out of space" warning when it restored my phone. I think I could live with it if I gave it time, but I was happy that my wife kept it, so I can still get a new phone this summer.

nillapuddin

So as a Sprint subscriber, is there anything coming down the pipe that will be worth making the jump?

(obviously post 8.1 Update)

Or should I just grab one of those new faux WP Nokias
if those are even available on sprint

Actually they do now. They start selling them for the 925 (and removed all the Qi charging cases for the 1020 and 925 from their stock). The case is pretty ugly compare to Nokia official one.

Chorazin

Kinda off-topicish, but I I just got these nifty magnetic lenses from Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GRK98JG/?tag=neogaf0e-20

The biggest stick on ring in the packaging fits perfect around the 1020's lens. They aren't the nicest glass so they might distort the image a bit, but for the cheap price it's worth it to play around with it a little.

Plus, if you scan barcodes a lot (I use MyFitnessPal all the time) you know the 1020 kinda sucks for that, but with the wide angle macro lens on I was finally able to scan every barcode I threw at it!

Cipherr

New Kantar figures

kFGpMV4.jpg

Thanks for this. So.... New second place in a few years then? I mean this is the second straight that I can recall where WP is very clearly gaining share in many markets. Once again I feel like a fish out of water. Everyone seems to look at this and shrug, but it seems like a big fucking deal to me. Just a year ago I don't think anyone would have predicted WP would start to climb and appear able to perhaps overtake iOS someday.

Edit: Also overall for the year the report says Samsung is losing share. Interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom