• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3 Update 3| Please be excited

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, bing Awards will give 100GB of free onedrive space in exchange of 100 points... How can people outside of the US register to Bing Awards?

MarkusRJR

For some reason every weather app doesn't have working live tiles or lock screens. They never update unless I enter the app. Is it related to the 512mb devices? I never had this problem on my Ativ S.

For some reason every weather app doesn't have working live tiles or lock screens. They never update unless I enter the app. Is it related to the 512mb devices? I never had this problem on my Ativ S.

it's possible the apps run over the memory limit while running in the background.

I hit some big issues on LifeLogger handling images in the background on lower cost devices.

NeOak

Both Bing weather and the Weather Channel one work.

You sure you don't have battery saver on or background tasks disabled?

Magni

No problems with Amazing Weather HD on my 521.

MarkusRJR

Both Bing weather and the Weather Channel one work.

You sure you don't have battery saver on or background tasks disabled?
I have battery saver on when it hits low battery, but currently it's off. Background tasks are enabled also. My dad's Lumia 520 also has this issue.

Nero3000

I'll never understand the fascination with the gutter.

img3-picture.jpg

MarkusRJR

Is Plants vs. Zombies 2 ever coming to WP8? I recently started replaying the original only to notice the sequel isn't here. I know it's a hot pay to win mess, but I still want to give it a whirl.

hadareud

The Translator
Have to?
Then I will never sign out again, heh... I have a seperate Skype account.

Yeah, if you sign in for the first time or sign out and want to sign in again you need to have your Skype and MS accounts linked.

Is Plants vs. Zombies 2 ever coming to WP8? I recently started replaying the original only to notice the sequel isn't here. I know it's a hot pay to win mess, but I still want to give it a whirl.

Considering they couldn't even be arsed to release it on Windows/PC so far, I'd say we still have to wait a fair while for it.

Could you elaborate a bit further? How is it nicer? I'm asking, because my girlfriend really likes the 1520, but it's too expensive for her, so the 1320 would be the next option.

Oh dear.

A big ugly phablet is about to enter the Brot household. Have you no power over your woman, man?

I can't tell you if it's ever coming to Windows Phone, but if you really want it, you can always buy a brand new and fantastic Nokia X or Nokia XL!

r5Kxa3d.jpg

It plays all your favorite Android games and runs all your favorite Android apps. No more waiting for a 2 year old port.

Oh dear.

A big ugly phablet is about to enter the Brot household. Have you no power over your woman, man?

It would replace her Samsung Galaxy Ace and any modern smartphone that replaces that piece of shit got my approval. But with the Dell Venue 8 Pro she's getting for her birthday, I got the feeling that she won't need a phablet anyway. But she doesn't know that yet.

Tomcat

the micro transactions destroyed it. Enjoy the first one and tell yourself that there isn't any sequel.

the micro transactions destroyed it. Enjoy the first one and tell yourself that there isn't any sequel.

That is not exactly true. They opened it up few months later, to the point where it's similar to the old game. They still try some scummy things, though. The "test" with the lawnmowers was really stupid.

MarkusRJR

I can't tell you if it's ever coming to Windows Phone, but if you really want it, you can always buy a brand new and fantastic Nokia X or Nokia XL!

r5Kxa3d.jpg

It plays all your favorite Android games and runs all your favorite Android apps. No more waiting for a 2 year old port.
Apply ointment directly onto burn.

Sometimes I think you come into this thread just to make jokes. ;P

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Could you elaborate a bit further? How is it nicer? I'm asking, because my girlfriend really likes the 1520, but it's too expensive for her, so the 1320 would be the next option.

I'm genuinely shocked that my wife loved the 1520 so much and kept it. It seems unintuitive that women would like such big devices, but what do I know. She absolutely loves the screen and seeing pics and videos really big, bought the official flip case and everything. To me, it felt too big.

Razdek

Banned
With Nokia being. part of MS soon does that mean that the exclusive Nokia apps and features are going to be standard for all WP handsets or are they still going to continue creating exclusive features for theirs?

I am over 6 feet and I picked up the 1520 and laughed at how absurdly large it was. I can't imagine an average size woman using that device.

hadareud

The Translator
You say that, but like 8 out of 10 people I see with Galaxy Note's are women.

I always knew that they were lying when they said it didn't matter. *clears throat*

With Nokia being. part of MS soon does that mean that the exclusive Nokia apps and features are going to be standard for all WP handsets or are they still going to continue creating exclusive features for theirs?

You would think so, unless MS want to piss off the other OEM's.

I would think that Microsoft would be wanting to take the Nokia OS Development Team and merge them into the WP development team. Have them be a Finland Branch that just works on cool features for the WP. Atleast thats that I would be wanting to do if I ran the division.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I am over 6 feet and I picked up the 1520 and laughed at how absurdly large it was. I can't imagine an average size woman using that device.

My wife is a shorty too, I just don't get it.

You say that, but like 8 out of 10 people I see with Galaxy Note's are women.

Very true. My coworker has a note and the other says she is buying a 1520 when her contract is up, and I think Paul Thurrott's wife uses a note too, he has mentioned that in the podcast a few times.

Razdek

Banned
You would think so, unless MS want to piss off the other OEM's.

I would think that Microsoft would be wanting to take the Nokia OS Development Team and merge them into the WP development team. Have them be a Finland Branch that just works on cool features for the WP. Atleast thats that I would be wanting to do if I ran the division.

That's what I figured but you never know. I have a HTC 8X on the way so it would be nice to have all the Nokia apps and features for it.

catmincer

The 1520 does run a lot faster, I noticed it especially with the facebook app and also if I hit play in music and play all songs.

The camera is also really good, whereas the 1320 is far from good. It's probably about the same as the one on the 520.

The screen on the 1520 is much nicer too, I don't think res makes the difference but the panel quality. Colours look better and videos look nicer.

The Windows softkeys actually light up on it too which was a bizarre omission on the 1320.

The design is obviously more attractive and the weight is less.

I just think all in all it's a much nicer device and 32GB of storage PLUS the microSD slot rocks.

Windows/Phone/Xbox is going to be an interesting area post-reorg finalization.

PG2G

I wonder how much of an OS development team Nokia still has. They have a group that has been maintaining Asha and probably a relatively small group customizing ASOP for the Nokia X line.

A lot of their OS people probably disappeared when Symbian and Meego died

Magni

I'm genuinely shocked that my wife loved the 1520 so much and kept it. It seems unintuitive that women would like such big devices, but what do I know. She absolutely loves the screen and seeing pics and videos really big, bought the official flip case and everything. To me, it felt too big.

All the girls I know like either really small phones or huge ones. I see way more girls (and usually petite girls) with Notes than guys. Girls have purses.

I wonder how much of an OS development team Nokia still has. They have a group that has been maintaining Asha and probably a relatively small group customizing ASOP for the Nokia X line.

A lot of their OS people probably disappeared when Symbian and Meego died
Personally, I'd consider the people who are doing the Nokia Amber/Black/ect part of the Nokia 'OS' Team. Mainly because they are messing around with the Windows Phone OS to add what we consider to be "Nokia" features.

The purse point is a good one, I guess it just comes down to having a device where holding or doing anything with one-hand is not an option (especially for most women).

Obviously there is a market for it, I just don't get the appeal myself.

Schlep

If my company was on AT&T, I'd have a 1520 in an instant. I very rarely take my work phone with me anywhere unless I'm carrying my work bag, and it would be so much nicer to view/edit OneNote and Office stuff on than on my 8X.

For a personal phone, I'd never even think of getting it. Too big.

Fox Mulder

i pretty much stopped anticipating any notable game releasing on wp.

KageMaru

After a week, I'm quite happy with the battery life of the Icon. Once I settled back to my usual routine, I get about 20-24 hours of life before needing to charge it again. I can see that being cut short on the weekends when I don't work, but it still isn't bad.

Ape

Banned
After a week, I'm quite happy with the battery life of the Icon. Once I settled back to my usual routine, I get about 20-24 hours of life before needing to charge it again. I can see that being cut short on the weekends when I don't work, but it still isn't bad.

Damn, 20 hours? Good to see the Icon getting nice reviews from people on here. Too bad a certain review couldn't look past something as inconsequential as the name and spent way too much time talking about that.

Milchmann

Is there a way to disable the annoying birthday notifications of the Facebook Beta app?
I disabled all notifications expect for messages, but still get them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom