• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3 Update 3| Please be excited

Status
Not open for further replies.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
So, bing Awards will give 100GB of free onedrive space in exchange of 100 points... How can people outside of the US register to Bing Awards?
i went a little overboard.

kHyDrzd.png

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
camera though isn't as impressive. Basically the same quality as my 920, after Black update, but with zoom.

lol, give it some time. I remember being initially underwhelmed as well, but the camera is simply on another level. Hook up the phone to a PC after you've taken a bunch of shots, then view the full res images on a high def monitor to understand just how powerful the camera is.

Got my 1020 off eBay, excellent new condition it is in.

initial impressions, lighter, thinner, camera though isn't as impressive. Basically the same quality as my 920, after Black update, but with zoom.

No .. camera is way better than 920. Also try recoding music with it.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Got my 1020 off eBay, excellent new condition it is in.

initial impressions, lighter, thinner, camera though isn't as impressive. Basically the same quality as my 920, after Black update, but with zoom.

What?! No. Also, make sure you're opening the photos in the Nokia Camera app or you won't be seeing the full res photo.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
I noticed only one picture in the photo library. So the original 38mp pic is there but only viewable through the Nokia camera app?

If you view it in the photos app you'll be seeing the 5MP version, you should see a "open in Nokia Camera" link where you can see the full res version.

EDIT: Also, you need to plug your phone into your computer and mount it get the full res versions off the phone, they don't get synced to your OneDrive.

Is there any app to resize the videos taken with the phone to a more manageable size? The photos app has an option to do it, but the quality is completely destroyed, the video end up looking like youtube at 144p or something.

Damn, I need to get in this, ASAP

hwalker84

Had a disaster trying to get this 1520(didn't get it). I'm one of two people who manage our phones at our company. Something about premier accounts allows me to get an upgrade well before two years. My line on the premier site says I'm eligible for upgrade. ATT store said I'm eligible even though he was completely in disbelief. He goes to process my order but it wont take the early fee of $260 off the final bill. He already had begun the activation on the nano sim but ATT's activation data centers were in the process of being shutdown because they're out west. Guy says he'll reverse everything and sends me on my way with my 1020(His system no matter what wouldn't give me the upgrade the premier site would).

I leave and at dinner my sim becomes invalid. Luckily the movie I was seeing was sold out and I had time at the store. Store issued me a new sim because the sim in my phone was deactivated. Unfortunately since the activation servers were down my phone didn't come back alive till after midnight. I'm just going to order it online.

Ape

Banned
Had a disaster trying to get this 1520(didn't get it). I'm one of two people who manage our phones at our company. Something about premier accounts allows me to get an upgrade well before two years. My line on the premier site says I'm eligible for upgrade. ATT store said I'm eligible even though he was completely in disbelief. He goes to process my order but it wont take the early fee of $260 off the final bill. He already had begun the activation on the nano sim but ATT's activation data centers were in the process of being shutdown because they're out west. Guy says he'll reverse everything and sends me on my way with my 1020(His system no matter what wouldn't give me the upgrade the premier site would).

I leave and at dinner my sim becomes invalid. Luckily the movie I was seeing was sold out and I had time at the store. Store issued me a new sim because the sim in my phone was deactivated. Unfortunately since the activation servers were down my phone didn't come back alive till after midnight. I'm just going to order it online.

ATT is the best carrier in the world.

Borman

Will hopefully have a 1020 today, looking forward to the camera. Lately all I do is browse the Internet, take pictures, Reddit, Text, or Email on my Galaxy Nexus, so why not have something that has the best camera on the market?

PG2G

If you view it in the photos app you'll be seeing the 5MP version, you should see a "open in Nokia Camera" link where you can see the full res version.

EDIT: Also, you need to plug your phone into your computer and mount it get the full res versions off the phone, they don't get synced to your OneDrive.

I don't really blame Microsoft for this, but now that we have PureView they need to change how this is handled. Hopefully the 8.1 apps have native support for the way PureView stores images.

kharma45

I don't hate it but I don't really like it either. I don't understand why the WP team hasn't done what the W8 team has done and just allowed proper backgrounds at the Start screen.

Who knows, maybe we'll get both.

QjyRDsc.jpg

Ehhhh

EHHHHHHH

No.

Get rid of the dandelion and hand in the green and that would look beautiful. The blue one, I personally liked, but the green one could have been better.

Looks great.
MS is ticking every damn feature in that suggestion site and delivering.

Bitching about it is getting old.
Looks like they weren't lying when they said they were listening every single post. :p

StudioTan

Looks great.

MS is ticking every damn feature in that suggestion site and delivering.

Bitching about it is getting old.

Yeah, I agree, I like it and it's optional. Obviously it depends on the image you use but I like the idea of having all my tiles somewhat uniform in colour. I think I'll be able to create something nice.

Tomcat

Update: Nokia appears to be happy that the X has been hacked to run Google's Android apps and services. In a tweet the company says it's "very excited to see progress is being made."

and some people believe that this was Microsoft's idea. Yeah right. I believe some people at Nokia are being salty for being bought and this tweet is even more evidence. MS needs to kill this project ASAP.

so stupid that you can't sync from your home's wifi.

so stupid that you can't sync from your home's wifi.

It's pretty much a hack job. I also went back form the Nokia camera to the default camera app, because it was so slow. And yes, why isn't WiFi sync back? I would be cool if it would be back with 8.1, right?

It's pretty much a hack job. I also went back form the Nokia camera to the default camera app, because it was so slow. And yes, why isn't WiFi sync back? I would be cool if it would be back with 8.1, right?
Wireless sync would be nice to have back. I used it all the time when I had a Zune 80. Though being a developer now, the thing that keeps on coming back to my mind almost every time I open Visual Studio is "Why do I still have to plug in my phone to debug my app. Why cant this just be wireless."

Bullza2o

As much as I would like to use Cortana, I hope it doesn't drain the battery too much. If it does, I hope I can turn it off or at least function like TellMe in terms of battery efficiency.

Number of tiles available on startscreen, what??

Based on the screen size/resolution, your phone may default to the current screen setup (4 small tiles/2 medium wide), but you'll have the option for that extra column.

Windows 8.1 has a similar option for getting an extra row.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom