• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3 Update 3| Please be excited

Status
Not open for further replies.

hadareud

The Translator
Exactly.

I had 2 and I also got my girlfriend 2. If only you'd have done the same Brot, Zune would be alive and well and Windows Phone would be the runway leader of the market.

hadareud

The Translator
This got me thinking about how much money I spent on Microsoft hardware over the years.

2 Xbox's, 3 360's, an Xbox one, a Zune 80, a Zune 30, 2 Zune HD's, a Surface RT, a Surface 2, a 920, a 1020 and a 620. And my gf has a 920 and a Surface RT, which to be fair, she got herself.

Mental.

frontieruk

This got me thinking about how much money I spent on Microsoft hardware over the years.

2 Xbox's, 3 360's, an Xbox one, a Zune 80, a Zune 30, 2 Zune HD's, a Surface RT, a Surface 2, a 920, a 1020 and a 620. And my gf has a 920 and a Surface RT, which to be fair, she got herself.

Mental.

No keyboards/ joysticks or mice?

In your heart you *know* you could try harder.
Nope, it wasn't possible. I had the Zune 80 2 days after the US launch and got the Zune HD in the launch week. I never got the OG Zune, because I had no use for it. I always wanted the white one with the pre-2.0 firmware, but it was kinda hard to get one from MS. So yeah, a launch 80 and HD was the best I could do.

Mental.

A shill and a fanboy!

I had one Xbox 360 (now dead, thanks MS), a Zune 80 and HD and an Intelli Explorer mouse.

Bullza2o

Mental.

I like the Surface, have Windows 8.1, and I have/love Windows Phone (have a 920), but Microsoft lost me as an Xbox fan. Xbox and Xbox 360 are my last Microsoft consoles, because Xbox One doesn't appeal to me.

Razdek

Banned
QjyRDsc.jpg

Ehhhh

EHHHHHHH

No.

This thing is so ugly. Why couldn't they use a real background image and make the tiles a little more transparent? This is the best they could come up with?

Razdek

Banned
I like the Surface, have Windows 8.1, and I have/love Windows Phone (have a 920), but Microsoft lost me as an Xbox fan. Xbox and Xbox 360 are my last Microsoft consoles, because Xbox One doesn't appeal to me.

The Xbox One is a good console and I use it way more than my PS4 but that's just me.

derFeef

Mental.

Still can't believe I did not buy a Surface yet.

You should buy consoles for the games anyway.

Walshicus

maybe outside of Europe...

I'm in Europe and I ended up using my 360 for TV and media about 3/4 of the time. Same with the XB1.

Don't get me wrong, games are absolutely important. But it's very easy to overestimate how much time is spent on these things gaming.

Nero3000

maybe outside of Europe...

I am in Europe.

Over the past generation we've seen consoles do more than games. I used my PS3 more as a DLNA/Bluray player than a games console. Still do in the bedroom.

While the PS4 is very games orientated (and maybe my wording wasn't the best), to say that you should buy an Xbox One purely for the games is at best misguided and at worst ignorant of the whole other side.

I'm interested in the Xbox One for it's ecosystem/media features far more than its games, but the price point vs useable features equation hasn't hit the point where I would jump in.

derFeef

I really wish WP had a unified account for Microsoft-account apps.
Signing in every time you install a new app is a bit annoying.

hadareud

The Translator
A shill and a fanboy!

I know :(

To be fair much of it is coincidence rather than anything else.

I never was a console man and I wasn't going to get an Xbox (or any other console for that matter), until my gf bought her brother an Xbox game for his birthday only to find out that he didn't actually have an Xbox.

Instead of returning the game, we bought an Xbox. Ever since then I was hooked, particularly after Xbox live came out. And the media centre capabilities are vital to me.

The Zunes were mostly because there wasn't a decent iPod alternative at the time and they were actually cheaper than iPods even after importing them. And ever since I had a Zune HD I absolutely had to have a Windows Phone, so I was just biding my time until I thought the platform was mature enough.

The Xbox One would have to be 100 bucks cheaper than the PS4 before I'd consider buying one. With that price tag and the weaker hardware, that results in inferior multi platform titles, I can't justify buying one. It doesn't help that Microsoft's first party output isn't really appealing, apart from one or two games like Quantum Break and ...? I don't even know if they have anything else. Not to mention the fact that Sony tends to do more interesting things, like Rime.

All the media stuff the Xbox does (or rather doesn't do here) is total rubbish for me, since my HTPC with XBMC is superior for my needs. It even has a very nice Metro-y skin.

Xp1080screenshot01.jpg

I really wonder when they'll finally cut the price.

KageMaru

While I'll get a Xbox one eventually, I can't justify purchasing one now for a number of reasons. I don't care about Kinect, so there's more bang for my buck with the ps4. Other than DR3 and BF4, there isn't any games I want on the system. That doesn't look to be changing any time soon (not until quantum break is out) and I'm hopeful DR3 will land on the ps4 eventually. Another reason is because IMO, the Xbox one was designed by suits to push a corporate agenda first, fuck everything else second. Reminds me too much of the early ps3 days with an over-engineered, over priced, lacking system, and was also designed by suits to push an agenda (cell and blu-ray). I can't reward this business practice even with the 180s they've pulled.

derFeef

I never found XBMC convenient to be honest. My TV does everything regardless, I just need to run PS3 media server on my PC and that's all I need.

Tomcat

While I'll get a Xbox one eventually, I can't justify purchasing one now for a number of reasons. I don't care about Kinect, so there's more bang for my buck with the ps4. Other than DR3 and BF4, there isn't any games I want on the system. That doesn't look to be changing any time soon (not until quantum break is out) and I'm hopeful DR3 will land on the ps4 eventually. Another reason is because IMO, the Xbox one was designed by suits to push a corporate agenda first, fuck everything else second. Reminds me too much of the early ps3 days with an over-engineered, over priced, lacking system, and was also designed by suits to push an agenda (cell and blu-ray). I can't reward this business practice even with the 180s they've pulled.

dr3 is funded by ms so it wont ever go to the ps4

JaggedSac

Hopefully BUILD has some news on the Bone app SDK so Plex can port their WinRT version over. Yes, I know they've said it would be too expensive to do one, but I think they are blowing smoke up everyone's ass.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I don't play many games nowadays and I don't have an htpc so I'll be buying an Xbox one as soon as the price and software library is right. And when they support 3d blu ray. The ps3 is my blu ray player, but kinect and smartglass makes using my Xbox more convenient. I'd probably be better off with a Wii U since I have young kids, but that console looks dead.

maeh2k

Hopefully BUILD has some news on the Bone app SDK so Plex can port their WinRT version over. Yes, I know they've said it would be too expensive to do one, but I think they are blowing smoke up everyone's ass.

If Microsoft release an Xbox API that's different from WinRT to the extent that porting apps would require a significant amount of effort (excluding UI enhancements for Kinect), then the Xbox One actually deserves to fail.
But I think they'll at least get that right (aligning Windows with WIndows Phone is a lot more important).

If they don't fuck this up, it could be a decent advantage over the PS4.

so i'm no longer a paid subscriber to xbox music. i now have to sort through my old mp3's and add album/artist art. mpatool worked for some but there are many songs that have nothing. what's the best way to fix these mp3 files? media monkey software? damn, i miss zune software.

Seriously, you don't think PS4 and Sony suddenly going "We are for gamers!" is not because of corporate agenda and the bruising they got from last gen. They all are pushing some type of company agenda to sell their products. Don't be silly.

If PS3 was the clear leader last gen, you would see the same old Sony this gen.

So I know Facebook app on Windows Phone is pretty much crap, are there alternative beside using the mobile browser? For some reason it have problem seeing stuffs I post in other people page (like group page). It keep returning "error" message when I try to access them. Is this a known issue? Problem because I sync my Facebook account with Windows Phone?

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
The Facebook app is crap on my 1020, nexus 7 2013, and iPad mini with retina display. I'm not really a power user of Facebook, though, so maybe there are things the WP version is lacking that are important, but honestly, Facebook has gotten away with crappy mobile apps for a long time.

Razdek

Banned
The Facebook app is crap on my 1020, nexus 7 2013, and iPad mini with retina display. I'm not really a power user of Facebook, though, so maybe there are things the WP version is lacking that are important, but honestly, Facebook has gotten away with crappy mobile apps for a long time.

I don't think anyone is saying that the Facebook apps are good, it's just that it's the worst on WP.

eh? seems pretty good to me.

It lacks many of the features from iOS version but that's not the problem I have with it. It's the "can't access data" error that really driving me nut. I notice that this only occur on my posts. It also doesn't display anything I post to the Facebook group (which is probably why it's returning error message. I get notifications that someone response to my post or comment on my pictures but when I click on the notification it can't find my stuffs.

2 days with my 1020 and loving it.

Camera shutter speed and lag after shot are annoying in comparison with DSLRs, but that's an unfair comparison. If corrected with the next flagship, along with a larger battery, and the next flagship could be the perfect smartphone.

Still having withdrawals from losing Qi charging but I'll live with it. Using the official Qi case or modding aftermarket cases isn't a good solution for me. I did order some 10 ft long USB cables for bedside and couchside so that should help.

Camera is a beast though but there's still plenty of room for improvement.

KageMaru

dr3 is funded by ms so it wont ever go to the ps4

I'm sure plenty thought the same about NG2, which was also funded by MS.

Seriously, you don't think PS4 and Sony suddenly going "We are for gamers!" is not because of corporate agenda and the bruising they got from last gen. They all are pushing some type of company agenda to sell their products. Don't be silly.

If PS3 was the clear leader last gen, you would see the same old Sony this gen.

I agree on both counts. Their current agenda hasn't gimped their system, so I'm not bothered when I benefit.

Fjolle

If Microsoft release an Xbox API that's different from WinRT to the extent that porting apps would require a significant amount of effort (excluding UI enhancements for Kinect), then the Xbox One actually deserves to fail.
But I think they'll at least get that right (aligning Windows with WIndows Phone is a lot more important).

If they don't fuck this up, it could be a decent advantage over the PS4.

Scott Hanselman (MS fanboy employee and Fitbit hater) had the guy who wrote the comcast app on his podcast. According to him the api is almost the same, and he actually started developing a WinRT app before he had access to a dev kit. Also MS handled the kinect and controller stuff, but that might just be because it was a launch app.

Scott Hanselman (MS Employee) had the guy who wrote the comcast app on his podcast. According to him the api is almost the same, and he actually started developing a WinRT app before he had access to a dev kit. Also MS handled the kinect and controller stuff, but that might just be because it was a launch app.

corrected. Utilizing WinRT only makes sense

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom