• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3 Update 3| Please be excited

Status
Not open for further replies.

hadareud

The Translator
It's alright. The denial stage can only last so long.

heh

It's pretty obvious that that's what they are pushing, and I don't think it's a bad idea.

I just don't think that it's a dual-boot in the traditional sense. More like pre-loaded with the OS of your choice and you'll be able to flash the other OS yourself later if you choose to.

I doubt it will be like running a dual boot on your PC.

Ape

Banned
heh

It's pretty obvious that that's what they are pushing, and I don't think it's a bad idea.

I just don't think that it's a dual-boot in the traditional sense. More like pre-loaded with the OS of your choice and you'll be able to flash the other OS yourself later if you choose to.

I doubt it will be like running a dual boot on your PC.

I see what you're getting at. I think that it's a bad idea and either way people will choose Android over WP. This is probably where Microsoft had seen it going so the purchase of Nokia was paramount to the survival of the platform.

Tomcat

I have a live tile for my best friends but when ever one is posting a picture it appears in a very low resolution. Is there a fix for this?

Magni

J9Mkwtl.png

WP as trendy as the Oscars or a Papa John's salesman according to Facebook.

fake edit: Cortana is a genius name by the way, lots of people (especially in the US where WP could use a bump in mindshare) like Xbox and Halo, despite not liking Microsoft and Windows. I still think Windows Phone would have been better named after Xbox or even Zune than after Windows (heck Windows 8 might have been better off with a new name as well).

Let's hope they keep the name and don't rename it Microsoft Windows Personal Assistant or something stupid like that.

NeOak

J9Mkwtl.png

WP as trendy as the Oscars or a Papa John's salesman according to Facebook.

fake edit: Cortana is a genius name by the way, lots of people (especially in the US where WP could use a bump in mindshare) like Xbox and Halo, despite not liking Microsoft and Windows. I still think Windows Phone would have been better named after Xbox or even Zune than after Windows (heck Windows 8 might have been better off with a new name as well).

Let's hope they keep the name and don't rename it Microsoft Windows Personal Assistant or something stupid like that.

They could resurrect "Microsoft Bob" ;)

Everytime I'm streaming a music over BT I can't barely touch my phone and the music starts skipping... Just turning the screen on makes the music skip, and even tough the phone never feels sluggish opening apps and photos also makes the music skip. I take this is not normal, right?

Also, since a few days ago my phone started dropping battery life a lot when on mobile network, even with any usage. Pretty aggressively... For instance, after lasting a whole day of moderate usage (from 8am to 8pm, and almost at 70%, and then it went to less than 20% in less than two hours after being out, and I didn't even used it, just took it out of my pocket a few times to check if the screen was on because it was getting warm...

Bullza2o

Is anybody as dependent as me on Google Voice? Basically it's the only thing that's making me need an Android device, because otherwise I'm perfectly happy with WP8. We have until May when Google kills off 3rd party GV apps, and it really sucks there's no official Hangouts app for WP8.

MCD

Anyone think Cortana will be ported to Android and iOS soon after it hit WP8.1? Seems to be the MS approach these days.

Fjolle

Is anybody as dependent as me on Google Voice? Basically it's the only thing that's making me need an Android device, because otherwise I'm perfectly happy with WP8. We have until May when Google kills off 3rd party GV apps, and it really sucks there's no official Hangouts app for WP8.
If there is one thing Microsoft and Google are equally good at, it is ignoring tier 2 countries :p

Anyone think Cortana will be ported to Android and iOS soon after it hit WP8.1? Seems to be the MS approach these days.

Why wouldn't they? Google put Now on iOS, too. Heck, it's even coming to Chrome (or is already). Services like Google Now and Cortana need as many users as possible.

hadareud

The Translator
Why wouldn't they? Google put Now on iOS, too. Heck, it's even coming to Chrome (or is already). Services like Google Now and Cortana need as many users as possible.

Agreed.

The only thing that they have to make sure of is that the Windows versions are the reference apps that get new features first. Same with all their services, something that they haven't always done in the past.

Other than that, they need to expand all their services to all major platforms.

*wonders how much space he should reserve for a major system update on his phone*

(1.05 GB of free space might make upgrading to a new major OS release a bit hard.)

Nero3000

Agreed.

The only thing that they have to make sure of is that the Windows versions are the reference apps that get new features first. Same with all their services, something that they haven't always done in the past.

Other than that, they need to expand all their services to all major platforms.

Disagree. Keep it to Microsoft platforms and market the hell out of it (if it's good).

hadareud

The Translator
Disagree. Keep it to Microsoft platforms and market the hell out of it (if it's good).

That approach worked when they had 95% of the market.

The market has changed and the times have changed too. If they want their core services like office, bing, skydrive etc. to be or continue to be widely adopted, they need to be on all major platforms and they need to offer all users a comparable service, regardless of whether they're on a Windows or non Windows device. The more (good) Microsoft services that people are using, the likelier they are to consider switching to a MS OS.

Obviously they need to keep some things exclusive to their platforms, but at the end of the day they have to recognise reality.

Nero3000

That approach worked when they had 95% of the market.

The market has changed and the times have changed too. If they want their core services like office, bing, skydrive etc. to be or continue to be widely adopted, they need to be on all major platforms and they need to offer all users a comparable service, regardless of whether they're on a Windows or non Windows device. The more (good) Microsoft services that people are using, the likelier they are to consider switching to a MS OS.

Obviously they need to keep some things exclusive to their platforms, but at the end of the day they have to recognise reality.

Bing (search, news, maps, sport etc.) & Skydrive yes, get that on all platforms as best as possible.

Office, less so. Limited services (viewers basically) on other platforms.

Cortana - you're probably right, phones only though, but the level of integration to be useful would probably only be possible on WP and Android

Xbox music/video - yes everywhere and needs major improvement.

I think it's probably better for them to be working on their geographic reach more than platform reach.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Make really great apps on other platforms. Integrate those apps into your own platforms. I'm uneasy about moving to apps rather than the built in hubs. On the one hand, we get faster updates. On the other hand, having services integrated is one reason I like the platform. I pretty much never use the OneDrive app. I use photos hub for my pics and Office hub for my documents.

Make really great apps on other platforms. Integrate those apps into your own platforms. I'm uneasy about moving to apps rather than the built in hubs. On the one hand, we get faster updates. On the other hand, having services integrated is one reason I like the platform. I pretty much never use the OneDrive app. I use photos hub for my pics and Office hub for my documents.
My opinion on the matter is that if they improve the APIs of the Hubs so that any app can feel like its built into the OS, whats the difference.

If they took the Photos Hub for example and allowed developers to throw album links into it, then whats the difference other than it opening up another app. You still found it in a centralized area. If they took the video hub and allowed developers to throw links to their videos in that instead of only allowing videos in the history, then people wouldn't know the difference. If they took the Me Hub and improved it so that any app could throw their stuff in there, it would allow for even better levels of integration. If they expanded the live tile APIs to allow for some more advanced animations, then you can have the regular apps look just like the Games or Music/Video hubs. They just have to remember the ability to include in the settings an option to turn on/off the Hub integration for apps you don't want showing.

Switch the Hubs role to being an aggregate of information from other sources instead of having all that functionality built in.

Razdek

Banned
Got my HTC 8x and going to try using it as my daily driver this week as I normally use a Nexus 5. This phone is a huge step up from the Lumia 520 that I use as a music device. I'm already missing my banking apps :(

more impressions on my 1020. xenon flash is impressive as hell, it really does stop motion. optional camera grip's battery is weak and seems to only charge half of my phone when at empty. still, tripod mount makes it worth it.

Suerte

more impressions on my 1020. xenon flash is impressive as hell, it really does stop motion. optional camera grip's battery is weak and seems to only charge half of my phone when at empty. still, tripod mount makes it worth it.

Charging it to half full from empty would make sense, given the 1020's battery is 2000mAh and the battery in the camera attachment is 1020mAh.

dLMN8R

You do on prerelease builds that still have performance issues.

Heck even on public builds of Windows Phone 8 I've seen a rare loading screen when hitting Start and waiting for it to load the start screen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom