• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3 Update 3| Please be excited

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bullza2o

I'm really not a huge app guy. Facebook, Amazon, some financial institution apps. Redbox. Weather Channel. App for train-tracking in Chicago. OneNote. No games, really zero interest in mobile gaming. As long as the big things are there and I can pay my Amex I think I'll be fine. I just use the web browser for the vast majority of the time I'm on my phone.

Oh yeah I do use hangouts sometimes tho. Any good WP alternative there?

I'm pretty sure all of those are on WP except for Hangouts and a few banking apps. You can use HERE Transit for the CTA, HERE Maps and Drive are all great especially since they can use store maps offline!

I'm not a huge app guy either, but honestly my favorite apps are on WP (ie myTube)

Instagram, Vine, Snapchat (6snap), and Tinder (official app coming soon) were the last app hold outs, besides a few banks. 8.1 should just about put the platform right up there with Android and iOS. Hopefully, MS does a better job letting consumers know about it. Still too many people think WP is the old Windows Mobile OS and Nokia is a brand from last decade.

Nero3000

Instagram, Vine, Snapchat (6snap), and Tinder (official app coming soon) were the last app hold outs, besides a few banks. 8.1 should just about put the platform right up there with Android and iOS. Hopefully, MS does a better job letting consumers know about it. Still too many people think WP is the old Windows Mobile OS and Nokia is a brand from last decade.

Sky Go (UK) - then I'm happy.

Bloomberg finally published the sequel to the popular short story "Microsoft CEO Candidate Elop Said to Mull Windows Shift" or "How Elop is going to kill the Xbox".

In this sequel, confusingly called "Microsoft’s Nadella Manages Legacy of Ballmer-Board Split", Dina Bass and Peter Burrows continue Bloomberg's foray into tech biz fiction and even got Beth Jink on board.

If you thought the Elop episode was good, then wait until you read this one.

While the Elop episode was about a man an his vision and how he wanted to make the world a better place by selling off the Xbox division, this new episode, "How Satya never really wanted to do hardware" as I'd call it, is about power, friendship and trust, successes and failures, kicking and screaming during board meetings (so loud, that the walls erupted, or so it was told by people with knowledge of the matter) and other shocking events. The decision to let "people familiar with the matter" narrate the entire story was a bit risky, but I'm glad the writer trio did it anyway.

It's a good read, really.

I wonder how much more it would have cost to purchase HERE?

Well, something like 95% of all Standalone or Car-GPS' use Navteq, which is Owned by Nokia. They have about 5500 employees and likely considerable numbers of patents. They tend to make a couple Billion per year on revenue on top of that. So probably another billion or two on top of the 7 Billion they are already paying

derFeef

The facebook messenger app is nicely done. I have not used it on other platforms so I can't compare it, but it's fast and nice.

Bullza2o

The facebook messenger app is nicely done. I have not used it on other platforms so I can't compare it, but it's fast and nice.

I have used it on Android (Nexus 7), and it's about the same. The Android one has bubbles popping up whenever you get a message though. Bubbles of your friends' profile pictures, and by clicking on it you can quick reply.

derFeef

Yeah, shitty live tile design keeps me away from a lot of the weather apps. Amazing Weather is probably still one of the best.

I use weather flow, but it has shitty weather info ;) Someone merge those two please.

Really want to know what devs drive to not implement a "use system color as tile color" thing. It's horrible if you need to go into the app and set the color manually after you changed the system theme color...

freshair

What we need is a forecast.io app! Still waiting here. ;__;

In other news, Rudy just released a dropbox client app.

CloudSix_Dropbox_lede.jpg

http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/s...-dropbox/4d56ec15-bfaf-49c8-bb0e-522089b67518

And there's some cute drama going in the comments section of the reddit post: http://www.reddit.com/r/windowsphone/comments/1zne6k/rudy_huyn_releases_new_dropbox_app_for_windows/

So been using wired charging for my 1020 and been wondering why it's charging slow. I inspect the cables and the have a blackberry symbol. I haven't owned a blackberry in over 6 yrs. These cables are limited to 0.75 amps rather than the current smartphone fast charge rate of 1.0-1.2 amps.

Bullza2o

What we need is a forecast.io app! Still waiting here. ;__;

In other news, Rudy just released a dropbox client app.

CloudSix_Dropbox_lede.jpg

http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/s...-dropbox/4d56ec15-bfaf-49c8-bb0e-522089b67518

And there's some cute drama going in the comments section of the reddit post: http://www.reddit.com/r/windowsphone/comments/1zne6k/rudy_huyn_releases_new_dropbox_app_for_windows/
My god that top comment (and all the subsequent replies) on Reddit is rabid. You'd think that Rudy would have killed his(their) dog. He's just pulling stuff out of thin air.

Finally a good Dropbox app for WP! Looks like an iOS themed app though, haha.

He is preparing for Windows Phone eventual conversion to Android.

Speaking of that I have to bust out my HTC One today and set it up for my daughter because she drop her phone. It's not a bad phone, feel great, too bad battery life on that thing is so bad. My daughter will be using Android and I am curious what her opinion will be after being on Windows Phone for last few years.

I'm on Verizon, and eyeing either the Icon or whatever other new WP8.1 phone might be announced in April.

But my main question is if there is any cheap Lumia phone that has a microSD slot? Or allows you to install a larger one for its internal memory? Cause I was thinking of buying an off-contract WP for media usage/MP3 player. The way I use my HTC 8X (a lot of IE10, myTube and Spotify, and I download the media often to not use my data while commuting, even though I don't have much memory on the phone) I drain my battery pretty quickly, and feel that I need a separate machine for media consumption to compensate.

MarkusRJR

I'm on Verizon, and eyeing either the Icon or whatever other new WP8.1 phone might be announced in April.

But my main question is if there is any cheap Lumia phone that has a microSD slot? Or allows you to install a larger one for its internal memory? Cause I was thinking of buying an off-contract WP for media usage/MP3 player. The way I use my HTC 8X (a lot of IE10, myTube and Spotify, and I download the media often to not use my data while commuting, even though I don't have much memory on the phone) I drain my battery pretty quickly, and feel that I need a separate machine for media consumption to compensate.
Basically every low cost Lumia has micro SD card slots since they tend to have only 8gb internal storage. 520, 525, 620, 625, 720, 820, and 1320 for example.

Dropped my 920 and the screen cracked ='''[. Local phone repair shop wants $270 to fix and I'm not due for an upgrade until January. It still works at least but it's not as prettyful anymore. sad

Treo360

Dropped my 920 and the screen cracked ='''[. Local phone repair shop wants $270 to fix and I'm not due for an upgrade until January. It still works at least but it's not as prettyful anymore. sad

You can get one on Craigslist cheaper than that. How was the ground underneath the 920? I'd be worried about that too 😉

Chorazin

You can definitely get a whole new phone for that! Check out Swappa.com, they have plenty of gently used WP phones up there for really good prices, that's there I got my 1020 for $300.

You can get one on Craigslist cheaper than that. How was the ground underneath the 920? I'd be worried about that too ��

You can definitely get a whole new phone for that! Check out Swappa.com, they have plenty of gently used WP phones up there for really good prices, that's there I got my 1020 for $300.

Yeah there is no way I will spend that much to repair it. I might be able to convince my brother to let me use his upgrade in July. Thanks for the suggestions, I'll check out what I can find used. Hopefully I can find another 920 for a reasonable price. If not, any other Win 8 phones you'd reccomend that would be good to last me until July or Jan but a bit cheaper? I have AT&T.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.

Where do you live? I'll sell you an At&t red 920 with two official Nokia gel cases and a qi wireless charger for $175 shipped. Pm me.

Surely will be another quality MS thread on Gaf.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=780218

Clearly Ballmer is a failure. Microsoft has become absolute garbage ever since Gates left.

Don't confuse my dripping sarcasm with an absolute glorification of Ballmer either. He's had a fair set of mistakes alongside some of his successes. And, after all, quality should be held accountable by the project managers and coders

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
José Mourinho;103383077 said:
Where do people get this idea that Samsung would work wonders with the Xbox brand and that MS should sell it to them? Like honestly, who actually came up with this idea, I always see people on GAF saying this.

Next Xbox by Samsung to be waterproof. Game changer.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Quality post

I'm curious... does anyone actually like any of Microsoft's consumer-facing products (hardware or software) that they don't HAVE to use? I honestly can't think of any that I'd voluntarily use if I didn't need it for work or something like that.

MCD

I'm glad Ballmer pursued hardware. Been a fan of their hardware ever since I bought that IntelliMouse.

hwalker84

Got my Yellow 1520.

Screen is glorious
Size is fine for a guy my size

Sim/SD tray looks like shit
Buttons don't feel as premium as the 1020

No what to do with this extra column???

derFeef

Got my Yellow 1520.

Screen is glorious
Size is fine for a guy my size

Sim/SD tray looks like shit
Buttons don't feel as premium as the 1020

No what to do with this extra column???

Heh...

Actually tried it myself and while it looks huge, it's not that big. (heh...?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom