• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3 Update 3| Please be excited

Status
Not open for further replies.

derFeef

Seen today at a local MediaMarkt.
A small Nokia stand - allmost all phones indicated incorrectly.
Like a 1520 as a "Lumia 900" or an Asha as a "1320"

Was hilarious. And quite sad.

Ape

Banned
I want the Icon with a camera sensor at least twice as big. Should get that this year.

I'm not sure if I will get a new blue device right out of the gate or wait a bit. It would really have to blow me away for me to jump in straight out. What I'm really looking forward to is the second gen 1020, that thing will be a beast.

Seen today at a local MediaMarkt.
A small Nokia stand - allmost all phones indicated incorrectly.
Like a 1520 as a "Lumia 900" or an Asha as a "1320"

Was hilarious. And quite sad.

I wouldn't doubt if they moved phones around but didn't bother to change the stickers. I mean, it's just the Windows Phone section. Not like anyone will notice except for you.

Schlep

It's been a while since I've felt the issue with Windows Phone was the lack of apps. The issue with Windows Phone is a good number of those 'major apps' feel second rate when compared with their Android and iOS counterparts. Some of them even feel second rate when compared with their Windows 8 counterparts.

Magni

It's been a while since I've felt the issue with Windows Phone was the lack of apps. The issue with Windows Phone is a good number of those 'major apps' feel second rate when compared with their Android and iOS counterparts. Some of them even feel second rate when compared with their Windows 8 counterparts.

Facebook and Spotify are two big examples. Facebook Messenger is a step in the right direction. I've been using it on iOS and WP concurrently for the past 2-3 days, the WP version is very close to performance-parity IMO. Nothing like the mess that is the FB app.

Doffen

t1396458000z4.png

Needed a Build keynote countdown. I'm so tired of my Lumia 920!

Totakeke

Should I buy the 1020 unlocked in white for 500? Seems like they're clearing off stock.

But I don't really go out my way to take photos, hmmmmm.

Razdek

Banned
Should I buy the 1020 unlocked in white for 500? Seems like they're clearing off stock.

I'd wait for next month when they announce the new phones. $500 seems too expensive for a fairly old phone but if you can find one for $250-350 it might be ok.

Totakeke

I'd wait for next month when they announce the new phones. $500 seems too expensive for a fairly old phone but if you can find one for $250-350 it might be ok.

I don't think anyone sells 1020 for that range. It's still a fairly premium and unique phone.

Totakeke

Are you looking to buy new? You can probably find one used in that price range.

Where at?

Anyway, I'm still quite annoyed at my AT&T 8X that's unable to do internet sharing which means I can't use my tablet on the go or I need to get one with data. Otherwise, I don't really need a new phone.

500 is way too much. I bought a used 1020 off eBay and paid $350. Lucky for me the unit was in mint condition. Going rate is between $400-600 depending on condition and whether it's locked. You will find lower cost models if you're patient.

maeh2k

We'll know they'll announce the 630 and surely they'll announce the international version of the Icon (the 929). I don't think we'll see other high-end devices. The 929 is it at least till the fall, I think.

Razdek

Banned
We'll know they'll announce the 630 and surely they'll announce the international version of the Icon (the 929). I don't think we'll see other high-end devices. The 929 is it at least till the fall, I think.

if those are the only phones that get announced I'll be really disappointed but I hope they'll also be new ones from other OEMs.

Razdek

Banned
Where at?

Anyway, I'm still quite annoyed at my AT&T 8X that's unable to do internet sharing which means I can't use my tablet on the go or I need to get one with data. Otherwise, I don't really need a new phone.

From Ebay but it looks like most start at $300+ but you can get it for less than $500 for sure.

Razdek

Banned
Lumia Icon is way too big. The biggest size of a phone I would want is 720 (which I currently own). In terms of actual design, I like the 630 currently as it looks thin and got nice round edges... however, I wouldn't mind an Icon if it shrinks down to the size of a 720.

I don't get why Nokia can't stick a HD screen in their mid range phones. The 720 is nice and they could make a 730 with a HD sixe it's already in the $200+ price range.

maeh2k

Now my sister got an Xperia Z1 Compact, too, and I get to set it up. Buying an Android phone is worse than buying a cheap Windows PC. Sooo much crapware that you can't get rid of. For the average user opening up the apps view is probably as bad as opening up the system settings in Windows. I doubt most people have any idea what all those shitty apps do. Even comes with a preinstalled file manager. Tons of non-removable Google apps like Google+, Drive and Hangouts. And what's worse is that there are always multiple apps to do the same fucking thing. Two maps apps, two music apps/stores, two movie apps/stores, two messenger apps. Hate it.

Edit: out of the box there are already 50+ apps in the apps view. And that doesn't include crap like Sony's shitty 'lenses' for the camera. What if I don't want an AR-lens that puts a 3D dinosaur in the camera view? And why the hell is there a Chinese keyboard installed that I can't get rid of?

Schlep

Pretty nice feature in theory; wonder how it'll work in practice. Almost every airport I go to has free Wi-Fi now, but they usually make you watch a video or something beforehand. If it can skip that process, I'd leave it enabled all the time.

Appreciating the tiny improvements on the 1020 compared to the 920 sans Qi charging. Bluetooth range seems to have jumped from 20 ft to what seems like 100+ ft. Also, sim tray is improved by using aluminum rather than frail plastic. Glass now cleanly blends into the polycarbonate body without any borders. Of course its thinness is pretty impressive compared to the 920. The 2gb of ram also helps prevent the phone from heating up during graphic intensive games.

sure hopes Nokia brings awesome 8.1 devices.

Razdek

Banned
Appreciating the tiny improvements on the 1020 compared to the 920 sans Qi charging. Bluetooth range seems to have jumped from 20 ft to what seems like 100+ ft. Also, sim tray is improved by using aluminum rather than frail plastic. Glass now cleanly blends into the polycarbonate body without any borders. Of course its thinnest is pretty impressive compared to the 920. The 2gb of ram also helps prevent the phone from heating up during graphic intensive games.

sure hopes Nokia brings awesome 8.1 devices.

Would you still have bought it if it was $500+?

Would you still have bought it if it was $500+?
hell no!!! that's $500 that would have gone towards a new 8.1 device with a large sensor.

I was lucky to get this at $350. If I keep it scratch free and unlock it I can probably sell it for close to what I bought it for.

kharma45

I hope they keep the name Cortana now that a lot of people know it by that but who knows.

I'd be surprised if Microsoft didn't after all the positivity out there. A lot of the leaks will be controlled. Tom Warren won't be posting stuff without say-so and part of it might have been testing the water to see the reaction to using the Cortana name.

Magni

http://www.jobscore.com/jobs/foursq...veloper/dnqimEG5Cr44R_eJe9fLhG?ref=rss&sid=68

About the role:

We have begun building out a team dedicated to bringing a first-class Foursquare experience to users of Windows Phone and Windows 8. As a founding member of this team, you will have the opportunity to drive the definition of a .NET technical architecture and Metro user experience for the marquee consumer mobile application for local discovery, with over 40 million users worldwide.

I don't know how old this job listing is, but fucking finally!

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Royal Bank of Canada, biggest bank in Canada by market cap, finally released a decent app for Windows mobile 8 earlier this year :)

There are five major Canadian banks and they're the first to do so... I hope this is the start of a domino effect to bring in more bank apps to this platform !

http://apps.microsoft.com/windows/en-ca/app/rbc-canada/5f6e16b0-1772-4499-a1bb-f991074e21b8

rbcmobile-windowsphone.jpg

yeah, I'm glad they finally did. The Windows 8 version had been out for a while. Hopefully more banks will come. They are too busy with Blackberry versions still (since it is still somewhat popular in Canada).

Magni

Royal Bank of Canada, biggest bank in Canada by market cap, finally released a decent app for Windows mobile 8 earlier this year :)

There are five major Canadian banks and they're the first to do so... I hope this is the start of a domino effect to bring in more bank apps to this platform !

http://apps.microsoft.com/windows/en-ca/app/rbc-canada/5f6e16b0-1772-4499-a1bb-f991074e21b8

http://mobilesyrup.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/rbcmobile-windowsphone.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

Not Canadian, but good for the platform! I'm still waiting for LCL in France to publish an app. At least Chase in the US has one, which is funny when you compare WP marketshare in France and in the US.

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
yeah, I'm glad they finally did. The Windows 8 version had been out for a while. Hopefully more banks will come. They are too busy with Blackberry versions still (since it is still somewhat popular in Canada).

Furthermore, Cineplex's Timeplay also recently said they are putting Windows phone on their development map :)

Quote on their Facebook page: "Thank you for your suggestion, it is on our road map but not something that will be immediately addressed. Sorry for the inconvenience."

Maybe later this year we can finally play Timeplay ???

I do wonder what the Phone market share in Canada is every time those reports come out, just for knowing purposes. Then again, its probably something like Android at like 45%, iOS at like 40%, Blackberry is probably at 12% with Windows Phone at 3%.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Furthermore, Cineplex's Timeplay also recently said they are putting Windows phone on their development map :)

Quote on their Facebook page: "Thank you for your suggestion, it is on our road map but not something that will be immediately addressed. Sorry for the inconvenience."

Maybe later this year we can finally play Timeplay ???

Nice, not sure what Timeplay is though,.lol

WP market share in Canada is probably around 1% I bet, which sucks. Apple must be ahead of Android though. Which is what I mostly see.

can't wait for 8.1.

edit: haha I totally did not see your post after typing mine!

zedge

Nice, not sure what Timeplay is though,.lol

WP market share in Canada is probably around 1% I bet, which sucks. Apple must be ahead of Android though. Which is what I mostly see.

can't wait for 8.1.

edit: haha I totally did not see your post after typing mine!
Pretty sure android is ahead of iOS. All I ever see are samsungs these days. At work every one but me has a Samsung Galaxy of some variety. That's 13 people in my dept. Its nuts.

I want to see windows get a bigger share. They need a new flagship yesterday.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Pretty sure android is ahead of iOS. All I ever see are samsungs these days. At work every one but me has a Samsung Galaxy of some variety. That's 13 people in my dept. Its nuts.

Yeah, there are a shitload of Galaxies. If I ever went Android it would not be a Galaxy.

Edit: It would be nice to see whatever Nokia announces after 8.1 comes out to Canada. Hopefully all the flagships going forward come to Telus and Rogers. I plan on switching to Telus maybe later this year.

Razdek

Banned
I do wonder what the Phone market share in Canada is every time those reports come out, just for knowing purposes. Then again, its probably something like Android at like 45%, iOS at like 40%, Blackberry is probably at 12% with Windows Phone at 3%.

Windows Phone at retail is abysmal here in Canada. I rarely see any on display in Best Buy or Futureshop. I don't even think WP has 3% here.

Razdek

Banned

I want to see windows get a bigger share. They need a new flagship yesterday.

They're too busy chasing the low end to put out high end phones. I don't recall seeing the 925 being released here. The last high end phone was the 1020 wasn't it?

nick nacc

Banned
If I can grandfather my self in to tmobiles "real" unlimited (ill pay like 40 bucks"I think this would be very smart on my part. Will I never have to buy internet again? Everything will be tethered through my unlimited data phone and wherever I move I won't have to call Comcast and get their crap internet. I understand tethering is limited to like 2.5 gigs but I am sure there is a way around that. This is ending on the 23rd for TMOBILE so I need to make a decision

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom