• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3 Update 3| Please be excited

Status
Not open for further replies.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I'm not sure that I prefer an always listening system like Google now or Kinect that randomly activates during a movie or conversation.

maeh2k

Bing (search, news, maps, sport etc.) & Skydrive yes, get that on all platforms as best as possible.

Office, less so. Limited services (viewers basically) on other platforms.

Cortana - you're probably right, phones only though, but the level of integration to be useful would probably only be possible on WP and Android

Xbox music/video - yes everywhere and needs major improvement.

I think it's probably better for them to be working on their geographic reach more than platform reach.

I'm all for them getting their services on every platform, but even if they do just that it's not going to do them much good. They can't really go up against Google. Google's services come preinstalled on all devices and Google even mandates their placement on the home screen. Virtually no one is going to replace Google Maps with Bing Maps (which is basically Here Maps). Same for search and other services.
Unless the EU steps in at some point and requires Google to implement a Maps ballot, Microsoft's service won't attract many users. And even if there was a ballot screen for every service, people would still go with Google. It's hard out here for a bing.

Heretic

I'm not sure that I prefer an always listening system like Google now or Kinect that randomly activates during a movie or conversation.

I don't mind having to activate it. Just annoys me having to press and hold and wait... then talk.

If it's instant then I'm all for it!

Razdek

Banned
I'm all for them getting their services on every platform, but even if they do just that it's not going to do them much good. They can't really go up against Google. Google's services come preinstalled on all devices and Google even mandates their placement on the home screen. Virtually no one is going to replace Google Maps with Bing Maps (which is basically Here Maps). Same for search and other services.
Unless the EU steps in at some point and requires Google to implement a Maps ballot, Microsoft's service won't attract many users. And even if there was a ballot screen for every service, people would still go with Google. It's hard out here for a bing.

it's hard out here for a Bing because it sucks everywhere except in the USA unlike Google Maps. It doesn't even seem like they're trying to improve it elsewhere so it makes it easy for people to ignore.

dLMN8R

Oh you used the Windows 8 beta? You mean, the publicly released beta that was branched off from the main depot two months before its release so that thousands of bugs could be fixed before anyone outside of Microsoft got their hands on it?

That's cute. So brave! *pinches cheeks*

kharma45

You do on prerelease builds that still have performance issues.

Heck even on public builds of Windows Phone 8 I've seen a rare loading screen when hitting Start and waiting for it to load the start screen.

I've been getting that a lot recently on my 620, likely due to the RAM.

Oh you used the Windows 8 beta? You mean, the publicly released beta that was branched off from the main depot two months before its release so that thousands of bugs could be fixed before anyone outside of Microsoft got their hands on it?

That's cute. So brave! *pinches cheeks*

I meant the RTM!

Razdek

Banned
Man it's nice to have a WP with a high res display again. Forgot how nice the tiles and pictures looked compared to the 520 and I don't have to squint when using IE.

Is using that preferred over using the integrated one?

The integrated one has almost never worked properly for me. The Facebook, and Facebook Beta apps have poor performance on my Lumia 920 as far as the initial loading goes. So I guess I'll test out the 4th official option for a few days.

Shoot me down for optimism, as I should be, but maybe the 8.1 Facebook stuff is a Facebook developed app (and working with MS on some form of integration). At this point, FB is developing and supporting a app for Win 8.1 and now the messaging app for WP.

Bullza2o

Shoot me down for optimism, as I should be, but maybe the 8.1 Facebook stuff is a Facebook developed app (and working with MS on some form of integration). At this point, FB is developing and supporting a app for Win 8.1 and now the messaging app for WP.

Hopefully. FB and all other companies should at least recognize WP is here to stay as the 3rd main mobile OS.

And the FB Messenger app looks decent so far! Too bad I can't confirm my Google Voice number in it.

Razdek

Banned
They did a great job updating the Xbox Music app for Xbox One where they match the song with the video if it exists. A lot better than swapping out the same 4 images of the band throughout the song. Wonder if that will come to the WP app.

Razdek

Banned
Has anything been revealed about improvements to the dialer? Those buttons at the bottom should really be pivots and I hate having to hit the keypad button just to bring up the numbers to dial out.

MarkusRJR

Are they removing the included FB messaging solution now that we have an official app? I already have issues with getting two notifications when I get FB messages (one from my messaging app, the other from the FB app). I want to get the FB messenger app since I'd imagine it has much less bloat than the full fledged FB app, but I don't want my phone to explode with notifications. :p

Has anything been revealed about improvements to the dialer? Those buttons at the bottom should really be pivots and I hate having to hit the keypad button just to bring up the numbers to dial out.
Yeah I really hope they fix that so the keypad is always on on default and have the other buttons up top. So much wasted space and extra annoyance by having the keypad disappear.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
I saw a Lumia Icon commercial and looked the phone up and gosh it looks kinda nice. I'm in the market for a new phone, been considering upgrading my Galaxy Nexus to a Nexus 5 but Windows Phone has been looking more and more attractive to me lately. I was all hyped about it years ago when it was the new thing but the lack of fundamentally basic things like a notification center ended up turning me away. Looks like with 8.1 pretty much all the stuff I was missing will finally be there, tho, so I'm lookin again!

But gosh this thread sure is full of hatin. Makin me kinda THINK TWICE.

Just tryin to think about what I'd lose by going away from Android. Google Play Music is basically the best music management software I've used since my Nomad Jukebox 2 way back in the day, so hopefully WP has a good player. Do you guys know if I can use a skydrive-based music library in it? I've got all my music on there now, it'd be pretty ace if I could just pin albums from skydrive on the phone, and stream others.

And how about google services? I'm pretty wed to gmail and google calendar, can I sync those with the WP email/calendar apps without much fuss?

Lookin forward to Build and seeing if there are any other Verizon phones that might get announced, though that Icon sure does seem nice.

The Flash

Banned
Nokia Lumia phones work with Straighttalk sim cards right? I've got a rinky dink LG flip up phone that I desperately want to get rid of.

hadareud

The Translator
FB messenger is quite nice.

Though with all these bloody messenger apps etc. the notification centre can't come soon enough now.

Razdek

Banned
I saw a Lumia Icon commercial and looked the phone up and gosh it looks kinda nice. I'm in the market for a new phone, been considering upgrading my Galaxy Nexus to a Nexus 5 but Windows Phone has been looking more and more attractive to me lately. I was all hyped about it years ago when it was the new thing but the lack of fundamentally basic things like a notification center ended up turning me away. Looks like with 8.1 pretty much all the stuff I was missing will finally be there, tho, so I'm lookin again!

Just tryin to think about what I'd lose by going away from Android. Google Play Music is basically the best music management software I've used since my Nomad Jukebox 2 way back in the day, so hopefully WP has a good player. Do you guys know if I can use a skydrive-based music library in it? I've got all my music on there now, it'd be pretty ace if I could just pin albums from skydrive on the phone, and stream others.

And how about google services? I'm pretty wed to gmail and google calendar, can I sync those with the WP email/calendar apps without much fuss?

Lookin forward to Build and seeing if there are any other Verizon phones that might get announced, though that Icon sure does seem nice.

when you get a WP you'll be like the rest of us but good to see the enthusiasm. Most of the things you mention can be done with some caveats but maybe wait until they formally announces 8.1 to make sure all the features you need are there.

Gmail and goggle calendar can be synchronize easy but I heard sync google contact is harder now(?). Goggle tried to stop Ms from using its service on WP or something. Have to say games and apps are really limited on WP, you may not find some that you enjoyed on Android. Maybe list what you really like and see if we know if there are on WP ?

f0lken

Our hatin comes from our love n.n Don't be fooled, a lot of us really love WP and even when we cheat going to iOS and Android we eventually come back. But I'd advise you to wait until April 2 so WP 8.1 gets announced with some new phones and features so you can decide to wait, or buy a Lumia 1020 which will ruin every other phone camera ever for you.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Gmail and goggle calendar can be synchronize easy but I heard sync google contact is harder now(?). Goggle tried to stop Ms from using its service on WP or something. Have to say games and apps are really limited on WP, you may not find some that you enjoyed on Android. Maybe list what you really like and see if we know if there are on WP ?

I'm really not a huge app guy. Facebook, Amazon, some financial institution apps. Redbox. Weather Channel. App for train-tracking in Chicago. OneNote. No games, really zero interest in mobile gaming. As long as the big things are there and I can pay my Amex I think I'll be fine. I just use the web browser for the vast majority of the time I'm on my phone.

Oh yeah I do use hangouts sometimes tho. Any good WP alternative there?

FB messenger is quite nice.

Though with all these bloody messenger apps etc. the notification centre can't come soon enough now.
wow, I'm really impressed with FB messenger app so far. It's fast, smooth, notifies correctly, and is proving to be a far better solution than pulling up the horrendous Facebook app.

Chorazin

I manuallty exported my Google Calendar and Contacts and imported them into Outook.com, since I'm only running a Surface and a 1020 it just seemed like the easier option.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom