• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3 Update 3| Please be excited

Status
Not open for further replies.

Razdek

Banned
Got my Yellow 1520.

Screen is glorious
Size is fine for a guy my size

Sim/SD tray looks like shit
Buttons don't feel as premium as the 1020

No what to do with this extra column???

Nothing you can do with that third column without your home screen looking like a complete mess. It's just not possible.

Razdek

Banned
Enjoying my HTC 8X and it's a huge step up from the 520 in terms of performance and screen. It's nice to be able run those apps with 1 GB requirements again. Well worth the $129 price tag.

hwalker84

Mine was like this. Do a software update OR turn off super sensitivity if enabled.

Neither worked. I was using a Blackberry charger and it seemed to be making the phone screwy. Changed the the Nokia one and the issue resolved itself.

edit: nevermind this phone is possessed. I hit the home button and it opened the me tile and clicked on a picture. WTF? Then I hit the home tile and it swiped right and opened Baconit??? This thing is off the chain right now. I'll play with it for a few days and if this doesn't resolve it's getting replaced.

José Mourinho;103383077 said:
Where do people get this idea that Samsung would work wonders with the Xbox brand and that MS should sell it to them? Like honestly, who actually came up with this idea, I always see people on GAF saying this.

i hope Samsung stays far away from money-losing industry sectors like video games

Neither worked. I was using a Blackberry charger and it seemed to be making the phone screwy. Changed the the Nokia one and the issue resolved itself.

edit: nevermind this phone is possessed. I hit the home button and it opened the me tile and clicked on a picture. WTF? Then I hit the home tile and it swiped right and opened Baconit??? This thing is off the chain right now. I'll play with it for a few days and if this doesn't resolve it's getting replaced.

Shouldn't have gone with a screen this big. I told y'all, but did you listen? No.

Evleaks posted a full press render of the Lumia 630 and people are having a meltdown over it.

XF2L3kQ.jpg

Probably the same resolution (it's 2014, for fucks sake)
No camera button (removed)
No camera flash (removed)
On-screen buttons (saving money on the capacitive keys and yet it has the same big bezel)

Nokia are being cheap dicks again.

Nero3000

Evleaks posted a full press render of the Lumia 630 and people are having a meltdown over it.

XF2L3kQ.jpg

On-screen buttons (saving money on the capacitive keys and yet it has the same big bezel)

Clearly designed to capitalise on the popularity of the iPhone 5C...

Although I hope the 930 is a no compromises product.

I hope when the MS acquisition of Nokia is complete they ditch the 500 different phone variants and settle on a few. It's a bit ridiculous now, more so in the U.S. where they also have the carrier specific handsets.

Razdek

Banned

XF2L3kQ.jpg

Hard to get excited for Nokia phones these days as they're mostly low end phones. Same old designs now missing more hardware features or boxy as hell like the icon. I hope they have some new designs for the upcoming 8.1 phones.

KageMaru

José Mourinho;103432484 said:
I hope when the MS acquisition of Nokia is complete they ditch the 500 different phone variants and settle on a few. It's a bit ridiculous now, more so in the U.S. where they also have the carrier specific handsets.

I don't think that will change until WP starts selling better. Carriers are the ones requesting the exclusive models and with the low sales MS/Nokia doesn't have the clout to say no yet.

stktt

Banned

XF2L3kQ.jpg

Technically, it's running at an ever so slightly higher resolution that's offset by the onscreen buttons!

Razdek

Banned
Just read the car article on winsupersite and it's pretty sad to read that MS has been in the automotive space for 15 years and it looks like they're going to get pushed out by Apple and Android. Is there any space that they were first and held the majority of the market share in the last decade?

hwalker84

Things seems to be working again. Switched from medium brightness back to automatic for 15 mins then switched back to medium. No double/quadruple taps. Anger residing.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently

XF2L3kQ.jpg

Not sure what you expected, the low end Lumias are all about hitting that low price point.

maeh2k

XF2L3kQ.jpg

I'm okay with them removing those if they also lower the price. Nokia aren't the only ones with that resolution. HTC just announced their entry-level Android device for 160 Euros with the same resolution.
If Nokia get the price down from ~200 to maybe ~150 max, then I'd happily live without buttons and flash (actually I virtually never use the flash and I tend to hold the phone steadier when I tap the screen instead of using the camera button)

Not sure what you expected, the low end Lumias are all about hitting that low price point.

I'm okay with them removing those if they also lower the price. Nokia aren't the only ones with that resolution. HTC just announced their entry-level Android device for 160 Euros with the same resolution.
If Nokia get the price down from ~200 to maybe ~150 max, then I'd happily live without buttons and flash (actually I virtually never use the flash and I tend to hold the phone steadier when I tap the screen instead of using the camera button)

I expected the successor of the 620 to be better than the previous model. This has nothing to do with the low end phones. If this is the successor of the 520 or 525, then they should keep it in that series. Nokia is going to sell this for 200+ and put it up against the Moto G, which is the better device for the price.

hadareud

The Translator
I think the design if beautiful.

The best looking Lumia yet (together with the 800) and quite different from the rest of the Lumia's apart from it being colourful. I also don't think that the bezel is that big, not compared to the Nexus 5 anyway.

A dedicated camera button is nice to have, but not essential. The on screen buttons, well that's the way things are going. Nothing wrong with that, really.

I do think that going with the same resolution is a joke. You can't just take the new developments that make phones cheaper into account and then ignore where the market has moved in other aspects.

I hope that the rumours about the resolution are wrong, otherwise it doesn't deserve to sell well despite of its beautiful design.

I think the design if beautiful.

The best looking Lumia yet (together with the 800) and quite different from the rest of the Lumia's apart from it being colourful. I also don't think that the bezel is that big, not compared to the Nexus 5 anyway.

A dedicated camera button is nice to have, but not essential. The on screen buttons, well that's the way things are going. Nothing wrong with that, really.

I do think that going with the same resolution is a joke. You can't just take the new developments that make phones cheaper into account and then ignore where the market has moved in other aspects.

I hope that the rumours about the resolution are wrong, otherwise it doesn't deserve to sell well despite of its beautiful design.

I'd almost be willing to agree, but the Lumia 720 still deserves that title, imo.

vbdXvLZ.jpg

Again, too bad that Nokia decided to be ultra cheap.

Resolution: 800x480
RAM: 512 MB
Release: H2 2013
MSRP: €299

What the fuck were they thinking?

hwalker84

Update. The ultra sensitivity issues are still present but nowhere near as bad as before. I decided to make a local word doc with my passwords (They're long) to just copy and paste when the device starts to go nuts.

Pros
Ridiculously good screen
Device is fast
MicroSD slot
Battery life is fantastic
Thinner and much lighter than the 1020
Fits in my pocket (just barely)

Cons
Third row can honestly go away. I got a decent setup but my 1020's home screen looks more elegant.
The buttons are terrible. Flush with the device. Can't really feel them when sliding your finger down the device.
MicroSD and Sim tray being connected looks bad. Should've been one high and low or a spacer in between.
Weird sensitivity issues
Color's only available in the 16GB version
Fuck you AT&T for removing Qi
Fits in my pocket (just barely)

Would recommend. At this moment my 1020 feels so tiny and I'm used to the size already. Still my ultimate device is a 5-5.5 inch 1020 successor.

hadareud

The Translator
Forgot about the 720. I think it's a tie.

It's just silly cheaping out on the resolution at this point. Surely the saving isn't that great anyway.

hadareud

The Translator
If you told me those renders of the 630 were new Asha phones I would believe it. They look cheap as hell and now missing features the 620 had.

Disagree on the looks.

Feature wise, well, I don't know whether a camera button is that big a feature and the on-screen button stuff is just the direction the market is heading in.

It having no flash is obviously not great, though.

The most important issue is the non-upgrade on the resolution front. That is just silly.

Lucius86

Banned
With the advent of the Galaxy S5, the next HTC phone and the Z2, I find it hard how someone can pick a Windows Phone that can compare at the moment.

Nokia has to release a successor to the 920 fast, we've been waiting too long. I still feel like my 920 is one of the best WP devices out there, 15 months on.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
With the advent of the Galaxy S5, the next HTC phone and the Z2, I find it hard how someone can pick a Windows Phone that can compare at the moment.

Nokia has to release a successor to the 920 fast, we've been waiting too long. I still feel like my 920 is one of the best WP devices out there, 15 months on.

The Icon needs to be on all carriers. Still love my 920, but I would love the Icon or a next-gen 1020.

Doesn't the Icon pretty much match the S5 specs?

Obviously Nokia need yo release the device worldwide on a variety of carriers though.

mackattk

The Icon needs to be on all carriers. Still love my 920, but I would love the Icon or a next-gen 1020.

I was pretty heartbroken to see that the Icon is Verizon only. It is one of the only WP8 phones that can compare in technical specs to its competitors. I have been wanting to jump back and try Windows Phone again, and the Icon looked like the perfect phone to do so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom