• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3 Update 3| Please be excited

Status
Not open for further replies.

Schlep

Pretty sure android is ahead of iOS. All I ever see are samsungs these days. At work every one but me has a Samsung Galaxy of some variety. That's 13 people in my dept. Its nuts.
I think it depends on the area of the country. I rarely see men with iPhones in the Ft. Worth area. It's starting to be viewed as a feminine device. Even females are starting to carry S4s and Notes more.

Then again, when I go to work in Diamond Bar, CA, practically everyone has iPhones. Seeing anything else is rare there.

Can't think of any area I've been to and seen a higher than usual number of WPs. Truth is, I rarely ever see anyone with them right now.

Windows Phone at retail is abysmal here in Canada. I rarely see any on display in Best Buy or Futureshop. I don't even think WP has 3% here.

I do know is that we were at 2% during September. But yeah, it is abmissal. Carriers dont care about the platform and your pretty much locked into Rogers for most of the high end models they do bring over. Then you have carriers just being stubborn and refusing to offer Windows Phones.

On the topic of seeing phones in the wild though, I see tons of Windows Phones on campus. Students are apparently flocking to them. 6 in my Comp-sci classes, I hear the generic WP texttone in my gen-ed classes, see them all over the place in the cafeteria and even a couple at the bus stops.

Ape

Banned
My daylight savings adjustment isn't being accounted for. Is this happening for anyone else?

Had to turn my phone off and on. That fixed the time.

derFeef

How will the people hub work in 8.1 without facebook integration?
I kinda enjoy seeing all the dumb and beautiful faces from facebook on the live tile. Will I be able to connect contacts like before?

NeOak

I kinda enjoy seeing all the dumb and beautiful faces from facebook on the live tile. Will I be able to connect contacts like before?

Everytime I open the People hub I wonder the same thing.

If the Facebook 8.1 app has a Skype like integration, we should be able to get the profile pics at least.

Yes for me FB is like a profile picture engine, that updates the pictures for all my contacts. I won't be happy if they take away this functionality. It's like the photo hub integration all over again.

MarkusRJR

Hello there WPGaf. Does anybody here have a Lumia 625? Is it any good?
I have one. It's pretty good but the screen and camera are kinda bleh. The best part is the battery life. Lasts super long despite my heavy use.

Something to mention is the fact the screen has no oleophobic coating (like the 520) so it gets fingerprints like mad. Some people care and other don't, but I thought it might be nice to mention.

I have one. It's pretty good but the screen and camera are kinda bleh. The best part is the battery life. Lasts super long despite my heavy use.

Something to mention is the fact the screen has no oleophobic coating (like the 520) so it gets fingerprints like mad. Some people care and other don't, but I thought it might be nice to mention.
Yeah I heard the screen's resolution is quite bad (it's a shame). I just take some photos and that's all so I'm not actually a power user when it comes to camera. Love to hear that about the battery life.

Not going to buy it anytime soon but I've been watching this phone and I love it. It's big and it's a nice change from my 3.2 Sony LWW. I just want to leave Android for good and I think the Lumia 625 would be a good smartphone to start with.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Is it bad that I want to watch the Build pressers, while I'm on getaway vacation? I hope more of Cortana leaks before I go.

maeh2k

Yeah I heard the screen's resolution is quite bad (it's a shame). I just take some photos and that's all so I'm not actually a power user when it comes to camera. Love to hear that about the battery life.

That sounds like you value photos too much to get a Nokia 6XX. The HTC 8X would be an option. If you find a good offer, a Lumia 920 would also be a good choice. Both have really good 8 MP cameras and the 920 has image stabilization. Both can be found at similar prices as the 625.

Magni

That sounds like you value photos too much to get a Nokia 6XX. The HTC 8X would be an option. If you find a good offer, a Lumia 920 would also be a good choice. Both have really good 8 MP cameras and the 920 has image stabilization. Both can be found at similar prices as the 625.

The Lumia 720 is also an option. In France it's the same price as a 625, so it all depends on whether you'd rather have a bigger screen, or a better camera.

f0lken

I don't really play games on my phone. Never really understood the value of killing my battery for a game that I don't really enjoy.

Well, the trick is playing something you will enjoy :p

That said I have tried a lot, but I only can say that I enjoyed or played for more than an hour like 15 games ever since 2008 when the Appstore was launched, and one of them was Rayman Jungle Run

ElNino

True, dammit :(
I rarely play games on my phone. Last thing I tried was Spartan Ops - and that was not really good. I have my Vita for portable gaming now.
Yeah, same for me. I have plenty of games on my Lumia, and most never get played more than once or twice since I will use my Vita if I want to play games on the go. If I'm using my phone it's usually for non-gaming stuff... but I guess it's nice to have a few fun games.

f0lken

Talking about games, my there are only 4 games that I really miss on WP

Kingdom Rush
Kingdom Rush Frontiers
Plants vs Zombies 2
Peggle

I still have hope on PvZ 2 and Peggle (The 2 anyway), but I think we will never have the two Kingdom Rushes

ElNino

Talking about games, my there are only 4 games that I really miss on WP

Kingdom Rush
Kingdom Rush Frontiers
Plants vs Zombies 2
Peggle

I still have hope on PvZ 2 and Peggle (The 2 anyway), but I think we will never have the two Kingdom Rushes
Peggle is the only game from those that I would like to see... and Peggle is a game that I would play on the phone.

Granted, I understand why the masses want to see every game available but I stopped caring about that long ago. If my main concern on my phone was whether I had access to as many apps (whether I need them or not) and games (whether they are even good or not) then I would have got an iPhone, but I don't (and I have an iPad for that anyways).

So, over the last few years we've all heard or wanted ourselves of this or that little feature or option that Windows Phone doesn't have that's to an individual may be a big deal.

This morning I heard a new one. A coworker got a Windows Phone over the weekend, really likes the phone, but has already exchanged the phone for another because there isn't an option to not display content of texts in the toast notification. To her, this was literally a dealbreaker.

Something like that has never once crossed my mind as an option.

r.i.p. Dodonpachi

You have to remind me. :(

One of the few games I played on my phone. Also I think my daughter has converted to Android .. she was showing me all the customization she did and how nice snap chat, Official NHL app and notification center. Though her phone died today and she had to borrow her friend phone to text me. (it's HTC One X). I told her she has to be more mindful about battery and charging it on Android.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
So, over the last few years we've all heard or wanted ourselves of this or that little feature or option that Windows Phone doesn't have that's to an individual may be a big deal.

This morning I heard a new one. A coworker got a Windows Phone over the weekend, really likes the phone, but has already exchanged the phone for another because there isn't an option to not display content of texts in the toast notification. To her, this was literally a dealbreaker.

Something like that has never once crossed my mind as an option.

what? That is something.

I have owned several handhelds, but never got around really to playing them so the little amounts of mobile gaming I do is enough.

Razdek

Banned
You have to remind me. :(

One of the few games I played on my phone. Also I think my daughter has converted to Android .. she was showing me all the customization she did and how nice snap chat, Official NHL app and notification center. Though her phone died today and she had to borrow her friend phone to text me. (it's HTC One X). I told her she has to be more mindful about battery and charging it on Android.

It's easier to go from WP -> Android than vice-versa because you gain more things. Starting my second week using my HTC 8X and it's fine so far and I haven't missed too many things from my Nexus 5. One of the things that do piss me off is the way the email client breaks gmail threads. I hope this gets fixed in 8.1.

Razdek

Banned

I agree and here in Canada they're selling the HTC 8X for $149 which is a great deal. The lower end phones are fine but you'll miss out on the HD screen, performance improvements, and camera which add a lot to the WP experienc. Not to mention the gimped 8 GB internal memory which always causes a headache to manage.

stktt

Banned
keikaku.jpg

How come the 1320 is so cheap? Ive seen it for 320 euros without contract, which - for this kind of tech - seems pretty great. I expected more of a 499 pricetag

How come the 1320 is so cheap? Ive seen it for 320 euros without contract, which - for this kind of tech - seems pretty great. I expected more of a 499 pricetag

What? It's a pretty low tech phone. Dual core S4, 1 GB ram, 5 MP camera, 8 GB storage, 720p screen. It shouldn't have a msrp over 299 and should retail for much less.

You know what sucks about the recent Spotify mobile app. No free mobile streaming.

A port of the current iOS app was announced, though.

In other news, Microsoft joined the Wireless Power consortium (the Qi wireless people). I hope this bodes well for more Microsoft Lumia phones with wireless charging. If the Nokia sales goes through, of course. After Google and Samsung complained in China, Microsoft is now facing some opposition from Korea as well. It doesn't look great for the acquisition.

The Korean Electronics Association (or KEA) is headed by several major leaders in the electronics industry, including Samsung CEO Kwon Oh-Hyun, LG president Yeong Ha Lee, and NXP Semiconductors Korea chairman Shin Bark-jae. These leaders represent a driving force in Korea's electronics industry, and as such their objections may be handled with care by the FCC.

KEA lawyer Hwang Eun-jeong provided a statement on the issue, saying:

As a mobile phone maker, Nokia rarely exercised its patent rights because of its cross-licensing with Samsung Electronics, Apple and the like, but now it can launch patent lawsuits or demand an increase in royalties without any limitation.

At the same time, Microsoft can expand its mobile phone business while keeping Samsung and Apple at bay by utilizing Nokia as a sort of cannon fodder.

hadareud

The Translator
I'd have said that surely a few complaints from companies in China and Korea wouldn't matter in the slightest to the takeover, considering it's already been approved in the US and by the EU.

But then, it's still not done despite that and the fact that they definitely wanted the takeover completed in early Q1, so who knows what the hell is going on behind the scenes.

H3xum

Hopping in blind with a pretty vague question, but I figure this is the place to be.

Are there any upcoming Windows phones on ATT to keep an eye out for? Currently have a 920.

Razdek

Banned
What? It's a pretty low tech phone. Dual core S4, 1 GB ram, 5 MP camera, 8 GB storage, 720p screen. It shouldn't have a msrp over 299 and should retail for much less.

I don't know why Nokia gimps their midrange phones with 8GB of memory for all of them and jacks up the price. Those midrange ones should be standard at 16 GB.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom