• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3 Update 3| Please be excited

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hopping in blind with a pretty vague question, but I figure this is the place to be.

Are there any upcoming Windows phones on ATT to keep an eye out for? Currently have a 920.
Nothing has been announced, but there will surely be 8.1 devices in the spring/summer.

I'm a AT&T customer with the 920 as well, hoping for an AT&T copy of the Icon myself (5-inch, 1080p, quad-core, 2GB of ram).

MCD

Why can't MS breakthrough Japan with any product? They do use Windows and Office there don't they?

Not an expert but I believe it's just like the US: carriers rule there. And Nokia isn't relevant in Japan so it's hopeless unless they buy Fujitsu or something.

NeOak

Not an expert but I believe it's just like the US: carriers rule there. And Nokia isn't relevant in Japan so it's hopeless unless they buy Fujitsu or something.

Japan was the only country in the world that used Symbian^2 lol.

The carriers dominate there too.

Razdek

Banned

Yea but 0% market share is pretty pathetic for a top 3 phone OS.

derFeef

is it weird that I am imagining those guys as some students that smoke weed and get drunk all the time?

Sorry no offense, but it seems weird that takes that long...

Why aren't you all just using Mobile.HD already?

I use it, but:

- Even on max volume the sound is really muted compared to any desktop player
- It doesn't play flv (and the other flv player on the store is kinda sucky)
- Does not support play to with the default renderer, and the renderer that supports play to does not support subtitles.
- If you switch the render the default render gets broken and subtitles stop working too, you have to reinstall the app to fix it.
- Some mkv videos do not play on it.
- Some mkv videos take an eternity to skip to a certain timeframe.

None of these happens with VLC on desktop, so if the metro version is the same should be a nice improvement.

Magni

I've been thinking about making a WP app since WP7 launch, just never had the time or the idea. I finally got around to it Monday night, got some more coding done this afternoon (way too nice out yesterday to stay inside and code), and I have a first functional build :D

This is fun when I'm not pulling my hair out :D

PG2G

I've been wanting to work on an app but I have to buy a new PC first. Mine isn't capable of running the emulator :|

I've been wanting to work on an app but I have to buy a new PC first. Mine isn't capable of running the emulator :|
Why not just dev-unlock your phone for free using AppStudio. Then you can push your apps to your phone in Visual Studio and ignore the emulator altogether.

hyperv is a pain
I'm just glad that the emulator is actually really good. I have to use the official Android emulator for an Android class at school and it makes me want to smash my laptop every Monday.

MCD

VLC crashes a lot but it's not a bad start at all. Plays MKVs, 10bit and Flac pretty well!

But I'm extremely disappointed by the lack of ARM support. Surface really need a play it all player.

PG2G

Why not just dev-unlock your phone for free using AppStudio. Then you can push your apps to your phone in Visual Studio and ignore the emulator altogether.

I considered it, seems like it'd be pretty annoying to do though. I am due for a new PC anyway, mine is pretty damn old lol.

Ganondolf

I considered it, seems like it'd be pretty annoying to do though. I am due for a new PC anyway, mine is pretty damn old lol.

I always use the device to test my apps on. I prefer it to the emulator. all you do it choose device on the drop down box (where the choice of emulators are) and remember to have the phone connected and unlocked when you run the build.

its better to have it tested on the phone as it gives you a better understanding of issues.

Magni

I'm running Visual Studio and Windows 8 through Parallels on a 13" Air, so I can't use the emulator either. So I use my 521 instead ;)

Its not all that annoying.

In Visual Studio next to the Debug button, click the Dropdown arrow then select Device. Then Visual Studio will remember that and you wont have to set it again in the future.

Then when you click the button, make sure that your phone is plugged in via USB and unlocked and the screen isn't off, at glance, or at the lockscreen. A trick is when your entering an extended development session, go into settings and set your Screen Time out to Never (or 30 minutes if Never isn't available) that way you dont have to do the "o-shit its not unlocked" dance.

hwalker84

Will your 1520 fit inside? You'd be crazy if you didn't at least look into that.

LOL. I knew I posted this I just couldn't figure out which thread. Obviously wrong thread.

edit: side note the 1520 is ridiculously big. Can't even squat with this monstrosity in my jeans.

stktt

Banned
Readit is on sale for $.99. It's a shame I find the UI to be so ugly, because it has more features and is more frequently updated than Baconit.

I was at Microsoft store today and two people were upgrading from their iPhone to Nokia 1020. I ask the guy next to me why he finally take a plunge and his answer was the apps situation seems to improve greatly especially with instagram. He did complain about beta instagram both Microsoft clerks and I at the same time tell him to get 6tag. He was like 6 what??!?

Oh and I have people at Microsoft store beat when it comes to being fanboy, they all used iPhone prior and one switch to Windows Phone after 7.5 Mango while the rest didn't get Windows Phone until 8. I told them I was all in since 7.0 without cut and paste. Though it does paint a bleak picture for Microsoft.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
So when do you guys think we'll see another 1020 like flagship for WP? Seems like Nokia only wants to talk about Nokia X right now, do you think they'll come out all guns blazing when the MS deal is final or will it be the end of the year before they release another Pureview iteration?

I'm asking because I've seen the 1020 for £330 and am considering picking it up as to use as internet connected camera.

hadareud

The Translator
I would be very surprised to see a successor to the 1020 before October or so.

I'm still very happy with mine, unless you're into gaming and need a faster processor for that or unless you absolutely can't do without a 1080p screen it's definitely worth picking up. 330 is a bit steep though, considering it's now over half a year old.

So when do you guys think we'll see another 1020 like flagship for WP? Seems like Nokia only wants to talk about Nokia X right now, do you think they'll come out all guns blazing when the MS deal is final or will it be the end of the year before they release another Pureview iteration?

I'm asking because I've seen the 1020 for £330 and am considering picking it up as to use as internet connected camera.

Goldfinger (Lumia 1030??) and Martini (Lumia 930) are the next two Nokia flagship phones. I would expect a similar time frame to Lumia 1020 and 1520. One is probably late summer (August), one is fall (November).

I hope to God when Microsoft takes over they are done with this carrier exclusive BS for Lumia. HTC 8X is the only thing that gives me hope because MS endorsed that phone and it hit 3 of the 4 US carriers mostly unchanged. (Verizon had to get the wireless charging exclusive).

I really hope we start seeing companies like HTC, Samsung, and LG putting WP8.1 on their flagship phones too now that there are no button requirements.

Whelp, the flash on my 920 just stopped working...

So are new phones getting announced at BUILD for sure? I'm just curious.
Take some of mine, I can't take a picture without the flash going. Turned it off in the Nokia camera app as well as the native one and the flash goes off everytime.

does anyone else have a problem where the dac (i'm assuming) messes up when playing music and causes the file to sound like it's a lower quality than it actually is? as if the bit rate has been reduced. it rights itself if i skip track a few times but does happen often.
is this a known problem with windows phones/lumia 920? if not, any idea if i'm covered as my phone's about 1 1/2 years old now (or however long it has been since it was released).

PG2G

Whelp, the flash on my 920 just stopped working...

So are new phones getting announced at BUILD for sure? I'm just curious.

Probably just OS/Software announcements at BUILD and hardware announcements sometime after. Lumia 630 is ready to go based on the amount of leaks and press shots

Razdek

Banned
How's the idle battery drainage on the higher end Lumias? On my HTC 8X it says it's draining at a rate of 6.7%/hour just idle and I've limited the background tasks to only a few apps. Getting pretty bad battery life on this thing but then again it is an HTC device.

KH7sfKa.png

RIP, Windows Phone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom