• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3 Update 3| Please be excited

Status
Not open for further replies.
We better get the 930 though because that would suck if we get neither of them. Have they mentioned if they'll still release the dev preview next week?
I believe they mentioned that we get it next week... or at the very least Joe said himself first half of April.

We better get the 930. If not we may have to march down to Robellus HQ and threaten to break their legs (I kid I kid).. That said I do believe they will bring it over. Because the 930 is a World Phone which is launching world wide, and I have doubts that they would want to miss out on a another high end phone which they could potentially use to sign contracts.

NeOak

The 1020's camera is still unmatched but shot-to-shot time is poor. A 20MP camera is more than suitable for day-to-day use

If it had the Snapdragon 800 SoC at least, it would be way faster.

They did a lot of magic to get the 20MP DSP to work with the 41MP sensor.

So do the naming conventions not make sense anymore? What would a 920 successor look like? I'm still holding on to my 920 and hoping to ride it out for a few more years.
Are updates to the 920 expected some time around summer?

Bullza2o

So do the naming conventions not make sense anymore? What would a 920 successor look like? I'm still holding on to my 920 and hoping to ride it out for a few more years.
Are updates to the 920 expected some time around summer?

Enroll in the dev program (free) and you'll get the 8.1 dev preview later this month with the rest of us WP fanatics. Everyone else gets it during summer.

Herr K

Banned
I think I may have to update my Lumia 620, now that I see all that Cortana noise. I don't know if the 512mb of RAM will suffice.

Lumia 635 seems like a sexy device. The processor seems good as well, but I haven't heard about the RAM, 1 GB at least, right?

JimiNutz

Banned
The lack of SD card on the 930 means that I'm gonna go with the cheaper 635.

Why Nokia insist on not having SD card slots on their flagship phones, I don't know...

I think I may have to update my Lumia 620, now that I see all that Cortana noise. I don't know if the 512mb of RAM will suffice.

Lumia 635 seems like a sexy device. The processor seems good as well, but I haven't heard about the RAM, 1 GB at least, right?

512 MB shouldn't matter, as Cortana is all cloud powered.

Lucius86

Banned
I was subscribed WP developer for a few months - should work for me, no?

I believe subscriptions are renewed on a yearly basis, so you should be fine (I think).

Just playing around with my Windows Phone 8.1 emulator, the store is definitely much improved.

Cortana does not work if you do not sign your phone in with a Microsoft account.

derFeef

I believe subscriptions are renewed on a yearly basis, so you should be fine (I think).

Just playing around with my Windows Phone 8.1 emulator, the store is definitely much improved.

Cortana does not work if you do not sign your phone in with a Microsoft account.

Yes, nice it worked :)
There is already an updated pushed but no idea what it is.
edit: I guess it's a prerequisite update since it's getting unlocked now?

You know, for all the praise Nokia gets regarding their camera tech and apps, it's insane that they still don't have HDR and slow motion video capturing.

hadareud

The Translator
Looks like the 930 is around the same weight as the Icon (167g).

Not too bad compared to the M8 (that name is so fucking ridiculous btw) and the S5, considering it has wireless charging built in.

hadareud

The Translator
The Nexus 5 is 138g.

Yes, but the S5 and the M8 aren't. It also has on-screen buttons, presumably saving weight that way too.

The weight complaint made sense when the 920 was 190 grams and the S3 was 130. 60 grams is a lot, 10 or 20 don't really matter. Especially since the 930 also isn't 2mm thicker.

The Nexus 5 is 138g.

Nexus has smaller camera and battery ? I agree though that Nokia need to work on reducing weight. I don't find the Icon to be a very comfortable phone.

I am hoping Microsoft would sell international version hopefully with ATT band as off contract phone but shitty deal they keep making with carriers probably prevent that.

Lucius86

Banned
I just had a revelation - for the first time in a LONG while, this OT title is no longer relevant to Windows Phone.

I am excited again for Windows Phone.

derFeef

I am yet in the need for a SD card. I guess if you are a heavy custom music user or photo shooter it makes a lot of sense.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
My 1020 has under a gig of space left and I've already deleted games and pictures/videos. Hate clearing out the fridge. The large photos take their toll.

KageMaru

I figured the 930 would be the worldwide equivalent of the Icon, but I never thought it would have the same design. Funny how it was rumored that the 930 wouldn't be ready for build when it's a phone that has been out for more than a month. Hopefully the Verizon exclusivity doesn't last long, WP needs to have a new flagship on the other carriers.

Unfortunately the 630/635 only has 512MB of memory. =/

hadareud

The Translator
I guess part of the problem is that I have over 4 gigs in "other". I thought this was supposed to be fixed already!

It's not.

If you take pictures and have the automatic high res backup set up, they'll stay in other forever if you're not on wifi pretty soon afterwards. It's a pain in the arse, especially on the 1020.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
It's not.

If you take pictures and have the automatic high res backup set up, they'll stay in other forever if you're not on wifi pretty soon afterwards. It's a pain in the arse, especially on the 1020.
Tell me about it. I ended up resetting my 620 completely a couple months ago after having only about 1 gb of usable space with the rest taken up by the OS, temp files and other storage. Turned off auto upload of photos as well. That issue better be fixed in 8.1. If it persists it could make me consider another platform.

In case it wasn't clear enough, the Lumia 520 will get Windows Phone 8.1, including Cortana, with the next firmware update, called Lumia Cyan. That update will also upgrade Nokia Drive to Drive+.

You chaps complaining about no space, pfft.

Know what's worse? When the phone insists you have plenty of space but you still can't do anything with it.
wp_ss_20140325_0002.png

wp_ss_20140325_0001.png

I know the file will probably have to unpack when it's downloaded, but really? 2.7gB can't hack it?

hadareud

The Translator
The best option is to flash the phone using the Nokia care suite. Much quicker than a hard reset.

The only pain is having to log in to all apps again. Oh and the game saves are gone, of course.

ElNino

My 1020 has under a gig of space left and I've already deleted games and pictures/videos. Hate clearing out the fridge. The large photos take their toll.
I guess I don't take enough photos then, or keep them on the phone at least.

My 1020 typically hovers around 14-16 GB free so I'm (currently) okay with the 32 GB storage, but having an SD slot would certainly be welcome.

kazinova

Crap, I was all puffed up on anti-AT&T fervor about having to wait for a viable WP8.1 handset. I forgot that my flash is broken on my 920...crap. So what phone do I get as a replacement for a 920 that I won't want to replace later this year? 1520?

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I would wait for the announcement that the 8.1 update is out for the 1520. The prices are dropping pretty quickly for them on eBay, you may be able to get the phone for $300 in another month or two, then immediately update it to 8.1.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom